Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Acura MDX AWD Price Paid and buying experience

Comments

• ram_edmundsram_edmunds Member Posts: 5
    Thanks @hfzeus , it looks true , I did request a quote from Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA, talked to them, the numbers were close. My local dealers (more than one) said they will honor & match this price, saving a trip to VA and driving or shipping the MDX back. If I do get this matched locally as promised and end-up buying this MDX I will post the details.
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    Ram_edmunds, I hope it works out well for you. I bought 2 of my last 3 cars from Pohanka and they delivered them to my door in NY. They even ate the shipping on the last one and it was on a flatbed in my driveway in a few days.
    Thanks for the follow-up.
  • acuramdxbuyracuramdxbuyr Member Posts: 1
    2017 MDX SH AWD Midatlantic with about $400 (probably worth $200) in accessories like floor mats
    $47K plus tax and tag/title. Took average of all prices I could find people buying at here and then started a little bit below that.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good going, congrats!
  • willbrook1willbrook1 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased 2017 MDX SH AWD w/TECH from Chevy Chase Acura yesterday. $47,150 plus $300 "processing". Tax & Tags additional.
    Nice, about $700 below invoice on the latest and greatest.

Congrats!
  • sjdss17sjdss17 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2016
    Live in the Bay Area. Bought MDX SH AWD w/Tech @ $46,500 plus TTL.
    Good going!
  • krisktkriskt Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2016
    I need advice between these 2 emailed printed up offers from a dealer in Chicago and one in WI for a 2017 Acura MDX AWD with Advance and Entertainment packages.

The dealer in Chicago has tried to add numerous dealer add-ons and fees which when I said were a dealbreaker and was going to hang up on the phone, they then subtracted some of them.

Chicago dealer- $63,522 (but really will be 63,812 because in the offer they figured lower taxes than what my state/city really are, despite me telling them exactly the correct percentage). Car in stock in the colors we want and we can pick it up this weekend. I'm just wary because of the things they keep trying to slip through, like they might pull a fast one when we drive long distance to get there and then don't have the car for us or something...

Selling price- 55,057 ($3343 discount car buying service from MSRP 58,400)
    taxes- 3,629 (figured wrong even though I told them the right rate, will be $300 higher)
    5K trailer package- 1845 (including installation charge of 810)
    roof cross rails- 394 (including installation charge of 144)
    "Pro package"- 450 (dealer add on crap of splash and door guards, "winter protection", seat protection, locking lug nuts, etc. They actually had this priced as 1595 and I said no way and was going to hang up and then they decreased it by 1145.....)
    Destination fee- 940
    Doc fee- 169.27
    Registration fee- 25

License fee- 752 Is this a fake fee or not? I spoke directly with the sales manager and he said this is a fee that has reciprocity with other states and it will be paid in IL, but still count in my home state. He talked fast and acted like no big deal, but what he said did NOT make sense to me. He said this is separate from tag and title and their 3rd party company takes care of this for them "thousands of times per month." What the heck is a License fee that would cost $752??? I can't find that anywhere as a legitimate fee on my state DVM web site when you register a new car!

WI dealer- $63,610.34 (seems more straightforward to me). Car color we want is NOT in stock and he said he would work hard to do a switch with another dealer even from a car that is currently being made and it could take a month or longer and we might not end up with our first color choices if we want the car sooner rather than later.

Selling price- 56,690 ($2650 discount from MSRP with destination charge 59,340)
    taxes- 4231 (correct and he used the tax rate I told him to use)
    5K trailer package- 1698 (including installation charge of 708)
    cross rails- 283.50 (250 including installation charge of 33.50)
    splash guards- 181.65 (138 including installation charge of 43.65)
    Doc fee- 195

I would go ahead and buy with the Chicago dealer (even with some bogus fees since they have the exact car we want) except for my nagging feeling of not being dealt with in an upfront and honest manner and afraid the deal will somehow fall through after we drive a long way.......

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.
    edited October 2016
    Gotta go with your gut, and the licensing fee sounds like junk to me to. If it's legit, there should be something about it on the IL DMV site.

Oh, now the that pro pack is down to $450, it's only $419 overpriced. :D

That said the color is important and you're ready to buy. Maybe try to pin everything down with the Chicago dealer via email, right down to the VIN and negotiate on the OTD price so you don't have to haggle over the pro pack and licensing fee. Ask for some cell phone pics of the actual car too.

Then when you drive down and they bait and switch you, go enjoy a nice meal somewhere (been hearing good things about the Skeleton Key Brewery), maybe grab a B&B in Bucktown overnight and just drive back home the next day. Make a mini vacation out of it with a chore stuck in the middle and feel comfortable walking if they play games on you.

One more minor consideration - if you buy out of state, you likely won't be able to take advantage of your state's lemon law and will have to rely on the usual warranty laws.
    edited October 2016
    I do have the VIN and they sent pics of the actual car so that's good. Actually my husband said he'll fly there one way and drive it home ($400 plane ticket). Hopefully he wouldn't get stranded in Chicago with no car to drive home...
    edited October 2016
    You may want to do another email and ask them for the bottom line out the door price (or make your own counteroffer, say $500 less than the current number). OTD is code for you know what the car is worth and you don't want to pay junk fees. And it puts the onus on the dealer to get the taxes right, since OTD includes everything.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • buckeyesfanbuckeyesfan Member Posts: 18
    Any November details available yet?
    I asked the Chicago dealer to remove the $752 fee and the sales manager wants to call me in 15 min to tell me how that is an IL state fee.
    OK, just signed a purchase agreement after talking to Victor, sales manager, at Napleton Acura in Chicago area. He did remove the "license fee" after he tried to explain it to me and I said no, then he said that they won't charge sales tax since we are paying cash. We will just pay it when we get home at the local tag agency.

Vehicle price- $58,400 (2017 MDX 4WD with Advance and Entertainment)
    Selling price after rebate (Consumer Reports car buying)- 55,057
    Installed accessories and destination fee- 3628.65
    (5K trailer hitch/harness/cooler- 1845
    roof rack cross bars- 393.60
    Pro Pack splash guards, wheel locks, door film and all weather mats- 450)
    Fees- 219.27
    (Doc fee- 169.27
    Reg- 25
    Electronic filing- 25)

OTD TOTAL (not including tag, title, tax): $58,904.92

We put $1000 deposit on a credit card. They did text me pics of the car and the accessories already installed on it. Within 30 min, the picture fell off the web site new inventory. I didn't really enjoy it, but it was better doing it by email and a few phone calls rather than sitting in a dealership for sure. But, I am happy we are getting our 1st choice color without waiting (Black/Parchment).

Now we get a 5 hour drive to go get it since nowhere around the Twin Cities has anything in stock.

Good luck everyone!!
    edited November 2016
    Nice work and congrats!

(And I like using a credit card for a deposit - makes it easier to get it back if something blows up)
    Now I have a dealers in MN and WI offering to match the deal and work hard for my business, but they have no cars in stock that I want so it could take 4 weeks or until Jan. they said. I don't like the creative accounting that occurred initially to get this car, but at least the dealer in Chicago actually has the car sitting in their lot right now. I just want to hand the check over and get the hell out of their finance office on Sat. and yell "no way" if they pressure me to buy an extended warranty or other crap!!! Wish me luck ;)
    lol, good luck!

And yeah, the right car in the right color - you have to look at it in your garage every day so you shouldn't have to settle. Especially when you are spending almost $60,000.
  • ag_floridaag_florida Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2016
    Need help- 2017 MDX FWD
    Please suggest what is OTD price for 2017 MDX base model in Florida(zip code -33601).

Thank you for the help.

Need help- 2017 MDX FWD
    Please suggest what is OTD price for 2017 MDX base model in Florida(zip code -33601).

Thank you for the help.

Invoice is $41,830, MSRP is $44,890 and the True Market Value average price paid for the Tampa area is $42,955.

I think I'd shoot for invoice and add in your taxes (6%?) to get an OTD number. So around $44,350.

The trick with Florida is avoiding the outrageous doc fees there - often $600 to $900. It's nothing but pure profit for the dealership.

If the dealer dumps a lot of fees in the deal, tell them you are going to drive down to N. Palm Beach and buy a Highlander from Earl Steward instead. The dealers down there hate Earl because he doesn't charge doc fees and crusades against them.

Good luck!

Thanks Stever!
    stever said:

Need help- 2017 MDX FWD

Thank you for the help.

Invoice is $41,830, MSRP is $44,890 and the True Market Value average price paid for the Tampa area is $42,955.

I think I'd shoot for invoice and add in your taxes (6%?) to get an OTD number. So around $44,350.

The trick with Florida is avoiding the outrageous doc fees there - often $600 to $900. It's nothing but pure profit for the dealership.

If the dealer dumps a lot of fees in the deal, tell them you are going to drive down to N. Palm Beach and buy a Highlander from Earl Steward instead. The dealers down there hate Earl because he doesn't charge doc fees and crusades against them.

Good luck!

Thank you so much.
    I moved your leasing question so our leasing pros could find it easier. Here's the link.
  • gethondagethonda Member Posts: 3
    Purchased MDX AWD w\Tech package for from Pohanko Acura for $45830 before fees and taxes. Its a deal as no Georgia dealer said they can match that price.
    Congrats!
  • cakes99cakes99 Member Posts: 27
    gethonda said:

Purchased MDX AWD w\Tech package for from Pohanko Acura for $45830 before fees and taxes. Its a deal as no Georgia dealer said they can match that price.

I was wondering if you could tell us your transport costs that were part of your deal to GA from Pohanka? I am in Tennessee and am also interested in an MDX, I know they have very aggressive pricing but not sure the deal works out so good when you are paying for transport.
    OK, on Sat. we got the 2017 Acura MDX with Advance and Entertainment packages and dealer installed 5K tow package, roof cross rails and their Pro Package as detailed above ($58,904.92 not including tag, title or tax). The car was in perfect condition.

The employees were very nice at Napleton's Acura in Elmhurst, IL (salesman-Wade Qin, sales manager-Victor R.). Wade took us on a test drive and showed us the car. They only tried to sell us the paint protection package and we said no thank you.

But......

The Napleton's dealership's process to pick up the car was NOT that great. We sat around a lot while they tried to run a credit check on us despite the fact that we had a cashier's check for the full amount. We have our credit frozen and TransUnion's phone line to unfreeze it was locked in a commercial loop selling something. Soooo after like 30 min, they said never mind.

Then they walked us over to the Kia side of the dealership to complete the final paperwork. Well, the Kia dealer was much busier and we got put in line behind a person with major credit problems. So an hour later, it took less than 10 min to sign papers and finally leave.

I told them it was unacceptable to have a 10 am appt. to get the car that is not being financed, and not be able to leave until almost 3 hours later. I told them I was going to rate the dealership down for that and that didn't go over well (but it's the truth).

Happy with the car though! On a side note, I kept in contact with Jim at the Zimbrick Acura dealer in Middleton, WI and although they didn't have the car, they were willing to match the deal and seemed much more into customer satisfaction. I will go there next time!
    edited November 2016
    That process needs to be "fixed". People note that you can close on a house in 15 minutes but they forget that the title company has been processing all the docs for weeks. Even in cash deals there's a lot of disclosures to do, and Homeland Security has imposed some extra paperwork on dealers too.

Instead of dinging the salesperson on the survey (since that individual will be the one dinged in his or her pocketbook) you may want to write the GM instead.

Why Car Salespeople Beg for Top Customer Survey Scores

Next time ask the dealer to deliver the car to your home or business.
    OK, that's a good idea. Thanks!
    Oh, and congrats on the new ride! :)
    hfzeus said:

Ram_edmunds, I hope it works out well for you. I bought 2 of my last 3 cars from Pohanka and they delivered them to my door in NY. They even ate the shipping on the last one and it was on a flatbed in my driveway in a few days.
    Thanks for the follow-up.

@hfzeus completed my purchase in Austin, TX today
    Thanks to @Stever, for keeping us informed and timely responses here, @hfzeus for helping out and mainly to @sheker for pre-negotiating the price for many of us here and making it easy.
    I completed my purchase of 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech package today with David McDavid Acura in north Austin, TX. Super shopping experience, surprised how well they handled of my transaction, so well that I was suspicious till I finished everything and got on road. They immediately matched price with Pohanko Acura, did even better at $45,800 + TTL (their fee is only $180 Vs 600 at Pohanko).
    Catch is to use Acura financial for loan @ 2.9% APR vs outside banks or credit unions that offered me 1.59% for 60 months.
    Negotiated price is for completing sale by Oct 31st and after taking a small deposit on a vehicle in transit (to our color preferences), they didn't get the car on time - they still stuck to the negotiated price, even sweeter, offered me a loaner till today.
    I am surprised to the extent they went, in taking care of a customer and earning their business.
    Very good to hear @ram_edmunds - congrats!
    stever said:

Need help- 2017 MDX FWD

Thank you for the help.

Good luck!

Thank you @stever . my MDX search ended now, i think i got a good deal(2017 MDX FWD base model for $41500+tax+tag etc) in Tampa, FL.
    Cool, congrats! And thanks for the update.
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39

Thanks to @Stever, for keeping us informed and timely responses here, @hfzeus for helping out and mainly to @sheker for pre-negotiating the price for many of us here and making it easy.
    I completed my purchase of 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech package today with David McDavid Acura in north Austin, TX. Super shopping experience, surprised how well they handled of my transaction, so well that I was suspicious till I finished everything and got on road. They immediately matched price with Pohanko Acura, did even better at $45,800 + TTL (their fee is only $180 Vs 600 at Pohanko).
    Catch is to use Acura financial for loan @ 2.9% APR vs outside banks or credit unions that offered me 1.59% for 60 months.
    Negotiated price is for completing sale by Oct 31st and after taking a small deposit on a vehicle in transit (to our color preferences), they didn't get the car on time - they still stuck to the negotiated price, even sweeter, offered me a loaner till today.
    I am surprised to the extent they went, in taking care of a customer and earning their business.

Good work and thanks for the update.

You can refi for 1.99% for 60 mos at penfed.org. You can become a member for free if you served in the military, or for $35 if you have not.

• cakes99cakes99 Member Posts: 27

I wanted to hear more about your experience with Pohanka Acura. I am woking with a sales rep there and she has quoted me the 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech for $46,900 plus $940 destination and $599 dealer processing, transport would run me $500 + TTL. Would you mind telling me the breakdown on the price you were able to negotiate at Pohanka? So far in my local area I am only able to get the dealer to the invoice price of $47,781 but they have no doc fee and I have a vehicle for trade so I will save on the taxes. Thanks for your help.
  • bobisiennabobisienna Member Posts: 2
    I am in Portland, Oregon for MDX AWD W/TECH package. Any information to dealers is highly appreciated.
    cakes99 said:

I wanted to hear more about your experience with Pohanka Acura. I am woking with a sales rep there and she has quoted me the 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech for $46,900 plus $940 destination and $599 dealer processing, transport would run me $500 + TTL. Would you mind telling me the breakdown on the price you were able to negotiate at Pohanka? So far in my local area I am only able to get the dealer to the invoice price of $47,781 but they have no doc fee and I have a vehicle for trade so I will save on the taxes. Thanks for your help.
    @cakes99 , All my correspondence with Pohanka Acura has been with Tish (internet sales) via email and one last phone call. I believe they threw the same numbers at me as you got and asked me to come down to get the actual pricing, its hard to get dealer to give you pricing quote/break down in writing. Due to year end and month end, I wouldn't be surprised if they give you better price than $45,830 (this includes destination). But, if you are comfortable with this price, tell them few of your buddies got this pricing from them and in email ask to give you a clear break down of out of door costs. If you get that, voila take it to your local dealer or check with dealers within a reasonable driving distance, sure one will be ready to match it. You said you got a trade-in and that would make it little hard dealing with Pohanka as you got to get your car to them and if you are driving (long distance) better get a carmax price for your trade-in, I believe its valid for a week.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

P.S for others who got their MDX and shopping for accessories, I used http://www.oemacuraparts.com/ for my MDX accessories, great pricing (25-30% below MSRP) & fast shipping (they might have some ground shipping discount codes, call to check). They are Acura of Peoria in AZ

I am in Portland, Oregon for MDX AWD W/TECH package. Any information to dealers is highly appreciated.

Did you buy yet @bobisienna?
    @mdloops, I moved your post over to the leasing discussion.

If you got your selling price down to $48,000, you'd be about 6% below MSRP. As it is, your quote is less than 5% off.

Our leasing pros may have better info for you over there though.
  • mdloopsmdloops Member Posts: 7
    stever said:
    @mdloops, I moved your post over to the leasing discussion. If you got your selling price down to $48,000, you'd be about 6% below MSRP. As it is, your quote is less than 5% off. Our leasing pros may have better info for you over there though.
    Thank you!
  • kalyan123kalyan123 Member Posts: 4
    Dear All:

I need some help with negotiating the price for a 2017 SH-AWD Acura MDX w/ Tech package. I live in a small town (zip 29630) in South Carolina and the closest Acura dealer (only one in a 2hr driving distance range!) quoted $49,300 as his starting best price and this includes doc and sales fee. I understand from the previous posts on this forum that this quoted price is a lot higher than what everyone else seems to have paid for this car. The sales rep seemed kind of rigid on the price and I am wondering what would be a reasonable price to pay for my location. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
    edited December 2016
    Best bet is to drive up to Virginia to buy. Or just get some quotes from up that way and ask the "local" dealer to try to match them.

MSRP is $51,300, invoice is $47,781 and the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $48,859.

So TMV is about 5.5% off MSRP. The "good deal" range is 8 to 12% off MSRP, maybe a bit less for a luxo non-domestic ride. So I'd like to see you aim for 10% off ($46,170) and settle for 8% off ($47,196). But we are seeing more 6% off deals.

I don't know your taxes and fees so after you add them into those numbers above you may already be there. If so, try whacking another percent or two off MSRP. :)

All my numbers include the destination btw.
    Thanks for your guidance. I have contacted a few Acura dealers in Atlanta and now hoping they will offer a good deal. I already heard back from one of them and they offered an ePrice of 46,274. I am however not sure what does this ePrice not include. Planning on waiting to hear from other dealers before I pursue this one. 
    edited December 2016
    If you ask the dealers for an out the door price, that will help avoid surprises when you go to pay. OTD should include all taxes and fees.

When buying out of state, the dealer needs to pay attention to the taxes that you will be paying. Usually the taxes are collected in the state that you buy, and then you would either pay the additional tax due when you register the car or you would be refunded the difference. The F&I person should understand how it works, but ask and make sure you won't wind up paying double taxes - every state seems to be a little bit different.

The other wrinkle is that you probably won't be able to use lemon law if you buy out of state. So in the rare event that you get a bad one, you'll have to rely on your warranty.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.
    Sure, I will keep these in mind during negotiation. Thanks!
  • s1000rr1s1000rr1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package for $45,500 before taxes and other gov't fees. SF Bay Area.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    s1000rr1 said:

Just purchased a 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package for $45,500 before taxes and other gov't fees. SF Bay Area.

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I purchased the 2017 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech Package from the local dealer for a selling price of about $47,250. I got a quote from Pohanko Acura (VA) for about $45,600, but with transportation cost and their high processing fees, the OTD turned out to be similar to that of the local dealer. Wish I had lived in a city with more than one Acura dealership :(

Liking the car so far, except the navigation which acts crazy sometimes.