Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Negitive equity and leaseing a new car.

itradeoftenitradeoften Member Posts: 1
edited December 2016 in Jeep
I have a negative equity of $3000 on current car. Is leasing a new care a good way to make up the difference?

Answers

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Nope, you'll carry it over, still have to pay it through higher monthly payments. No way to get out of the current hole? Keep it and pay until you're no longer negative?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Ditto

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Negative is negative--it can't be erased by anything other than throwing money at it. I suppose rolling negative equity into another lease is better than rolling negative equity into a 72 month car loan however, but it's really never a good idea with lease or purchase if you can avoid it.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    Not to pile on, but I'll agree with what's been said here. Is your current car reliable and not costing you a lot of money on repairs? If so, just ride out the current loan and eventually you'll get out of the hole.

$3000 works out to about $84/mo on a 36 month lease. If your lease payment should be $250/mo, then it will be $334/mo, before tax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that's not too painful, but it somewhat neglects the biggest advantage of leasing, which is being able to driver a somewhat nicer car than the one you might purchase.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Well that's not too painful, but it somewhat neglects the biggest advantage of leasing, which is being able to driver a somewhat nicer car than the one you might purchase.

I suppose it depends on the price range of the new car. In my example, the negative equity is 33% of the payment. If the lease payment is $500, $84 is closer to 20%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4