Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Anyone here tried Peer to Peer car rentals? It's like Air B&B for cars. You rent other people's cars. Same setup as a rental car business but it's cheaper and you get to pick the kind of car and zip code you want to pick it up in. One of my kid's friends visited us recently in such a rental. It sounded much nicer than doing business with rental counter agents and the hassle involved.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    suydam said:

Anyone here tried Peer to Peer car rentals? It's like Air B&B for cars. You rent other people's cars. Same setup as a rental car business but it's cheaper and you get to pick the kind of car and zip code you want to pick it up in. One of my kid's friends visited us recently in such a rental. It sounded much nicer than doing business with rental counter agents and the hassle involved.

I just think the idea has a lot of flaws. If you think Enterprise is picky about mysterious dents (I know I do), I imagine individual or small enterprising people using these new apps for rentals would be even more picky about damage and dents.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Seems like it's pretty popular.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    suydam said:

Seems like it's pretty popular.

Lots of really dumb things are pretty popular these days. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    What I mean is that this model is like Uber for car rentals. It's pretty well established. I think it's interesting how things are changing in many aspects of the auto business.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    well, the rental car industry leaves HUGE room for improvements! That's for sure. I hope they succeed. Always looking for a better rental experience without having to over pay.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I'd do it if there was a good insurance option to prevent the nitpicky dent nightmare that can come along with normal rentals. I sure as heck wouldn't rent out my own car though.
  • Options
    Yes, it comes with insurance packages as part of the daily price.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hm, I'd rent my van out in a NY minute.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

I'd do it if there was a good insurance option to prevent the nitpicky dent nightmare that can come along with normal rentals. I sure as heck wouldn't rent out my own car though.

It's interesting that some people regard home and car rentals as "the new economy" but I kind of see it as middle class people desperate for cash. It's not such a good sign IMO. What next? Rent out your extra pair of pants?
  • Options
    Is this about Turo? I checked them out locally not too long ago. Some OK deals on specialty cars, some not so good ($500/day for a 2014 Range Rover LOL). The insurance is kind of confusing though, and I think I remember something about mechanical and interior damage not being covered. Maybe I am just too worrisome about my own cars.
  • Options
    Turn is the one most people use.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My next rental may be on my trip out to LA and the Edmunds offices next month. Usually cabs are the norm, but Mrs. PF is coming along and may want a little more in the way of transportation options during the week.

We're also going on a trip to a wedding in June and travelling with the daughter and son-in-law, so I'm thinking we're going with something larger to run around the Savannah-Hilton head area. Any suggestions for what I should try out? :)
  • Options
    Rentals in LA are horribly expensive. Sedan will be cheaper than a SUV.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

Rentals in LA are horribly expensive. Sedan will be cheaper than a SUV.

On pleasure trips west, we tend to fly to San Diego, rent there and drive up. Guess it depends if the wife wants a car to run around while I'm in the offices

• Options
    LAX has a Silvercar that rents out Audi's relatively fairly priced from what I remember seeing.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    edited February 2017

I was pleased that Enterprise provided me a '16 Chrysler 300C with 29k while our Pilot is being repaired. Typcial of cars I've gotten from them it is somewhat dirty and could use a good cleaning, though not horrible. It drives well and seems to be mechanically maintained. The tire pressure monitor showed all tires inflated to the correct pressure. While I was out running errands Enterprise called and spoke with my wife to confirm all was well with the car. She joked that I might not give them the car back as I liked it so. I am enjoying my time with it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Nice! Is it a base model?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

Nice! Is it a base model?

It is one of the top trim levels and is very nice. From the Chrysler site-

2017 300C
    Dual-Pane Panoramic Power Sunroof and Rear Window Power Sunshade
    Heated and Ventilated Power Leather-Trimmed Front Seats and Heated Rear Seats
    Heated Wood and Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Column
    Memory System for Power Driver Seat, Exterior Mirrors and Radio Station Presets
    MSRP* Starting at
    $38,635

• Options
    Nice you get to try one equipped more like people actually buy them.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Nice, too bad Hertz doesn't buy them like this.
  • Options
    We have a group of 8 going to the Indy 500 again this year. We took two vehicles last year, and probably will again this time, but some have asked me if we might try a single vehicle solution. I can't imagine that renting something like a Toyota Sienna that we COULD pack 8 into would be much fun. With luggage for 2 nights, I might be fine driving, but the sardines in the 2nd and third rows might not enjoy it as much. next step up would be something like a 12 passenger Ford Transit, but that might not ride as nice for the 500 miles each way.

Anyone ever rent for a slightly larger than normal group? If someone hits on a lottery ticket maybe we'll hire a limo :)
  • Options
    If you rented an Indy car, you could make the round trip in 6 hours. :p
  • Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240

But the fit might be a tad tight for eight guys! :D
  • Options
    fordfool said:
    But the fit might be a tad tight for eight guys! :D
    No. I like it. They just have to hang on TIGHT

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hertz Gold in San Diego now has some new program, forgot it's marketing tag, where instead of your name on the board, you go to your area like National and pick which one you want. Quite a variety to choose from. I just wanted a sedan and there were the usual Sonata, Optima and Altima. Also Camry, Fusion, and Passat. A couple of Malibu's, but they were the prior gen. When I returned the car I noticed 5 Porsche were in the line ahead of me for those who had the bucks I guess.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Typical of cars I've gotten from them it is somewhat dirty and could use a good cleaning, though not horrible.

As an owner of a vehicle made by GM I've had my share of rentals from Enterprise. On more than one occasion I returned the vehicle for unidentifiable odors. On those occasions I barely made it around the block before returning for another vehicle. I think it's from overuse of that foam type carpet cleaner in an aerosol can..

On another note the last two times I've rented through Costco's rental program using Budget I've encountered a serious bait and switch. First time being offered an Explorer for a Tahoe and the second time a Mustang for an Avalon.Both times I was never offered a fee adjustment for taking a lower level vehicle. Worst part about the second rental was the agent insisting that the Mustang was a four door. Go figure.

• Options
    I use Costco also, but if Hertz is in the price neighborhood I default there to skip the line. Enterprise seems to vary a lot from office to office. Most any rental counter will try to upsell you on vehicle and other optional things I think and the example cars on the internet often seem to differ from what you get as well.
  • Options
    I read on a German language forum that someone got an S550 coupe from Sixt in Las Vegas. That would be a fun rental. A friend of mine is going to Dallas next weekend and has a Sixt "premium" class rental, it will be interesting to see what he gets.

The rental CTS I had seen at work for some time has been replaced by a rental MKS. I also saw a loaded looking rental 300 on the road, and a rental Charger with a hemi. A co-worker recently returned from Anchorage, and had a rental Murano, forgot to ask through which company.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    fintail said:

I read on a German language forum that someone got an S550 coupe from Sixt in Las Vegas. That would be a fun rental. A friend of mine is going to Dallas next weekend and has a Sixt "premium" class rental, it will be interesting to see what he gets.

The rental CTS I had seen at work for some time has been replaced by a rental MKS. I also saw a loaded looking rental 300 on the road, and a rental Charger with a hemi. A co-worker recently returned from Anchorage, and had a rental Murano, forgot to ask through which company.

On one of my trips to CA, we got a Charger with a Hemi from National.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,291
    Currently driving a Charger from National. Could have had a V-6 Mustang convertible, but passed on it. I did see a Mustang GT vert in the executive aisle, which I would have taken, if offered (it wasn't).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I find myself using Uber more these days, especially on day trips or quick overnight trips.

My last rentals were a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Cadillac XT5.

The Jeep was well equipped, had 11k on it and drove just like every Grand Cherokee I've owned/rented for the last 5 years. I can see the appeal and UConnect is definitely one of the better systems on the market. It was quiet and had no issues. The seats remain a little firm, not a problem for me but I can see some not liking them.

The Cadillac XT5 was nice as well, it had 16k on it. Not as well equipped as the Jeep (no cooled seats, XM or blind spot monitors). It had one prominent rattle in the passenger side B pillar that I never could really find. Overall not a bad ride.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited March 2017
    The XT5 loaner I had drove me crazy with the auto start/stop and that goofy shifter. Without those two things I would have really liked it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Took my Audi in for the recall. Something to do with the software that controls the side marker light on the side mirror housing. Probably a gov't regulator that is being overly picky.

Also mentioned a couple of nitpick issues, one for the seat trim not quite staying in place on the sides of the front seat with the Napa leather/plastic transition on the sides of the seat, and then putting on the record that about 3 or 4 of the Park to Reverse shifts have been bad (out of hundreds over a year; not duplicate-able). It makes a noticeably loud clunk and rough shift at that ratio; a tiny bit more often than I'm used to with DSG. Just wanted it on the record; of course it won't do it 99.9% of the time, and not while it was in the shop.

So the transmission is fine, no codes have been thrown. However, the seat trim is failing, they deemed on both sides and seats (at least for Audi's fit and fit standards) so they are ordering new seat trim parts from Europe, and will schedule me in about 2 weeks to come back once the parts are in. I guess the seats are too fancy and modern for their own good.

To get back on topic, my loaner is an Enterprise car since the dealership was out of Audi loaners. Enterprise is doling out Nissan Frontier's now. I got a '16 model.

It is a penalty box interior riding on big tall tires. Extended 4-door cab. I'm not a truck guy, and this one does nothing to change my mind about that. However, the Nissan drive train is the one good part about this truck. It feels lively, fast, and powerful. That transmission could be better, but I'm guessing this is the Nissan 3.5 engine?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited March 2017
    andres3 said:

To get back on topic, my loaner is an Enterprise car since the dealership was out of Audi loaners.

Must be a lot of other Audi's with problems getting service since the store is out of loaners.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    ab348 said:

The XT5 loaner I had drove me crazy with the auto start/stop and that goofy shifter. Without those two things I would have really liked it.

I forgot about that goofy shifter too. Certainly an odd design. The Auto Start/Stop was tolerable at best.
  • Options
    In the last 5 years my only experience has been with Enterprise. The personnel has always been friendly and helpful. My only complaint is the cars I have been assigned have not been very clean. Foggy windows, soiled but vacuumed interior, I generally wipe down the surfaces I touch. They all drove fine however.

• Options
    I last rented from Enterprise quite a few years ago. I remember my last car was a Galant. Strange thing, as it was miled up (~50K), but immaculate, hardly a mark on it. The past couple of years, I have only used Hertz in the US, as I have a bunch points for free rentals. The cars are clean, but the basic spec can bug me. In Europe, I've only rented with Sixt, and have always had nice cars.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    On a positive note, our A3 has been absolutely flawless with no issues to speak of. Only goes to the dealer for the free washes it gives. But absolutely flawless vehicle that's fun to drive. And my VW Golf has only had one issue that was intermittent but was eventually found. Economical and fun to drive, what more could anyone want? Both have been very reliable though both batteries needed to be swapped before the two year mark. But we live in hot South Florida which is super hard on any battery.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

andres3 said:

To get back on topic, my loaner is an Enterprise car since the dealership was out of Audi loaners.

Must be a lot of other Audi's with problems getting service since the store is out of loaners.
    Or just a lot of people taking advantage of their first feel oil change that week! :smile:

If your a truck guy and all you want is a cheap pickup, the Frontier might be for you. Don't know how cheap it is, but its redeeming trait was the engine, although the transmission was only adequate.
  • Options
    My friend arrived at DFW and picked up a CTS for his Sixt Premium reservation. No hassles, good rate, he's happy with the car, says it is nicely equipped (but he might not know the standard feature list). Says he got it for $40/day all in, sounds like a deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    fintail said:

My friend arrived at DFW and picked up a CTS for his Sixt Premium reservation. No hassles, good rate, he's happy with the car, says it is nicely equipped (but he might not know the standard feature list). Says he got it for $40/day all in, sounds like a deal.

I think $40/day is my sweet spot where I'd like a premium car for that price.

Just noticed the bad typo on my above post. Feel is a long way from "free."

And yes, most Audi customers expect a free loaner even for just an oil change. If you paid the book rates for an Audi dealership's oil change charge, your loaner should be an "exotic" by Enterprise standards.
  • Options
    All/in, $40 can be tough, as some places have onerous airport taxes. Probably doesn't include insurance either, but many credit cards have it these days anyway.

My local MB dealer has a large loaner fleet, and doesn't seem to be against giving them out pretty freely, esp if the car was purchased there. All MBs, not a subcontracted rental fleet.
    andres3 said:

And yes, most Audi customers expect a free loaner even for just an oil change. If you paid the book rates for an Audi dealership's oil change charge, your loaner should be an "exotic" by Enterprise standards.

• Options
    My total cost for a rental in Phoenix was $50/day, all-in. Four days. To get much lower per day, you have to rent for seven days. That was the Emerald Aisle with National. Took a Charger, but could have had an Escape or Mustang convertible for the same price. Limited selection in Mesa.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I've been taking advantage of Enterprise's "weekend special". $9.95 a day, 100 miles a day limit. So I got a 3-day weekend for $34 all in, and I even went over the mileage limit and they didn't hassle me. Of course, you don't get any kind of plush automobile but it was a decent set of wheels. Even had SAT and AUX, so I was happy enough.
  • Options
    Yeah, you can score some pretty good local deals on weekends. We've rented to make an overnight trip, just 100 miles away, for $15-20. Once you factor in wear and tear, etc., it's an easy choice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2017
    fintail said:

All/in, $40 can be tough, as some places have onerous airport taxes. Probably doesn't include insurance either, but many credit cards have it these days anyway.

My local MB dealer has a large loaner fleet, and doesn't seem to be against giving them out pretty freely, esp if the car was purchased there. All MBs, not a subcontracted rental fleet.

andres3 said:

I haven't had a subcontracted loaner from AUDI in a very long time. I suppose at some point you could be inundated with customers and maybe a loaner or two went down either due to mechanical problems or someone crashed a few, and then you resort to Enterprise.

I remember the after service customer service surveys would ask "Did you get an Audi loaner?" When I answered no, it wasn't long before Miramar Audi became Audi of San Diego under new ownership.

I agree, airports have nutty fees. You can rent much cheaper by avoiding the airports. I think that's what Sixt was doing by hiding a few miles from the airport in San Diego, but someone's lobby clawed them into eventually paying the extra taxes and fees and maybe that's why they moved away. I wonder how far from the airport you have to be to not charge those exorbitant fees? Seems like collusion how they manage that. Of course, now they are doing it to Uber I hear?
  • Options
    My $40/all in being a good deal is for a "premium" or above car - even in this high sales/use tax area, you can score rentals cheaper than that, if you want a more plain car. When renting, definitely include a weekend if you can, it will help your overall cost even if not renting for a week. Most firms seem to have a significant discount at the 7 day mark.
  • Options
    Go back to maybe 2005, and my local MB dealer had an Enterprise fleet for loaners, and they weren't all higher end cars. Must have been fun getting a base model PT Cruiser when your late model MB was in for repair (and it was probably more common then, not exactly MB's golden age).

When I am in Europe, or if I rent locally, I keep away from airport locations. I think in many areas, rental agencies are just outside the airport area, accessed via shuttle, to dodge the fees. I've heard of the Uber thing too. Something else I recall is the Silvercar fleet in CA having TX plates to avoid local taxes. I can't imagine that was tolerated for long - that's crossing a line.
    andres3 said:

I haven't had a subcontracted loaner from AUDI in a very long time. I suppose at some point you could be inundated with customers and maybe a loaner or two went down either due to mechanical problems or someone crashed a few, and then you resort to Enterprise.

I remember the after service customer service surveys would ask "Did you get an Audi loaner?" When I answered no, it wasn't long before Miramar Audi became Audi of San Diego under new ownership.

I agree, airports have nutty fees. You can rent much cheaper by avoiding the airports. I think that's what Sixt was doing by hiding a few miles from the airport in San Diego, but someone's lobby clawed them into eventually paying the extra taxes and fees and maybe that's why they moved away. I wonder how far from the airport you have to be to not charge those exorbitant fees? Seems like collusion how they manage that. Of course, now they are doing it to Uber I hear?

• Options
    I think the variance from the airport and local rental lots can vary. Not just airport fees, but location and supply and demand can affect what a local lot charges. Sometimes a lot cheaper, but not always much cheaper.