Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    ab348 said:

Maybe they got it from the Chemistry lab. My older brother was in university at that time and told stories about the boys raiding the supply closet for pure alcohol to use in making punch for a party.

I know firsthand that the supply couldn't be touched in our department at that time. They even feigned the threat that the alcohol supplied into the labs for classes had been denatured with phenolphthalein but I don't think it had been.

Reminds me of the roomers under mine in the dorm were hitting up my Hawaiian Punch that I put out onto the window ledge (room faced courtyard). So I brought home some phenolphthalein and starting putting it into the Hawaiian Punch that I shared out on the ledge. Besides being an acid/base indicator, it's a laxative, errr was a laxative over the counter. Now it's regulated because of potential carcinogenic traits.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!

Thank you for your kind words! It's a good feeling to be back!
    I think it is an imposter, isell was never that polite.

What have you done with the original isell? :o
    Go ahead and tick me off and the "old" isellhondas will reappear!
    You are sounding like that famous girl........Sybil.

She is the one who had 16 different personalities.

(That was one of the 1st books I sold when I became a book rep)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!
    I think it is an imposter, isell was never that polite. What have you done with the original isell? :o

This guy?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I need some guidance. No, not on how to live my life guidance.....some ideas of a home-type security system.

On New Years Day my wife organized a potluck dinner for our community in Florida. I helped run the auction which was very successful and we had a lot of laughs. Sold handbags and made up that they were Gucci or Coach. Had some imported coffee mugs.....imported from China.

Anyway, we raised $215 toward a security camera. We don't get too many incidences here but, it would be nice to have a record of who comes in and leaves. The camera would be attached to the clubhouse, and it would record cars as they enter and leave. I see some cameras don't need wiring, that would be a plus. What do I look for as far as performance etc.? Is there a particularly good model? How much does a decent one cost? Let me know if there is a particular one on amazon...that would be a way we could order it. We do have a handyman and some residents who can install it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Well that sort of explains some of the mood swings you have shown in here. I never knew there was an osmosis effect from peddling books.

As for your security problem, I can't help with that other than to suggest that you otta grab a book on that subject and see what happens. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited January 2017
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's it you tell em.

I've been waiting for a little rough stuff in here. Come to think of it, I don't think we've had any while you were trying to figure out who you were are. :D

jmonroe
    Hard to believe but these forums began over 20 years ago!

Over the years there have been some nasty posters who wanted to argue over everything and anything. I always tried to pull my punches and temper my responses but there were others who would take it too far. Then there were some of "us" who would try to prod the troublemakers over the line. They would sometimes explode in a profanity laced rant that would get them banned.

But now, unless the nasty people are in other forums things are pretty mellow and that is the way I like it!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    That's because these forums are almost impossible to find unless you already know where they are.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's it you tell em.

I've been waiting for a little rough stuff in here. Come to think of it, I don't think we've had any while you were trying to figure out who you were are. :D

jmonroe
    Hard to believe but these forums began over 20 years ago!

We must have some kind of momentum :)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2017
    @jipster, I kind of feel that way this morning after talking to my body shop. B)

I need some "security" guidance too.

After taking delivery of my fixed van, I noticed that the sliding door doesn't fit. They've adjusted it once and I told them to keep trying. I'm worried about structural stability and safety. There was no obvious damage to the door. When closed the top seams aren't "flush" with the roof and it's obvious when you look, especially when compared to the right side slider.

What say the peanut gallery?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    stever said:

@jipster, I kind of feel that way this morning after talking to my body shop. B)

After taking delivery of my fixed van, I noticed that the sliding door doesn't fit. They've adjusted it once and I told them to keep trying. I'm worried about structural stability and safety. There was no obvious damage to the door. When closed the top seams aren't "flush" with the roof and it's obvious when you look, especially when compared to the right side slider.

I'd make a lot of noise, both with the body shop and with the insurance company. You could even ask an adjuster to come up and inspect the quality of the work. If it was shoddy, the insurance company is going to want to know about it and will likely get more traction with the body shop than you will.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Is it not flush the whole way across the top or just the rear seam?
    I guess they removed the door during the repair? I can't tell if it is damaged in that pic.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited January 2017
    Thanks, afaik they did not remove the door. It's not flush all the way across the top. I saw the van after the body work was done and before they repainted the panel and the door was on. More pics here.

The adjuster is the body shop; they do the estimate and the insurance company decides whether it's a total or repairable. Good idea about asking for another adjuster, since the shop won't be impartial.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2017
    Isell....I remember those mid-late '90s Edmunds forums. They were a trip, for certain. Certain posters come to mind as "pot stirrers". Most of the n'er-do-wells are long gone (that includes a few mods, too). There are still some folks still around from those days...you, imid, Q, jipster, oldfarmer, PF Flyer, kyfdx, stever, Mr Shiftright, probably missing one or two. But, those are the ones I remember. At one point, all my stats were reset. But, I think I've been around since '95-96.....roughly.

I originally came in here looking for info and pricing on a (then) new mid '90s Pontiac Grand Prix with the supercharged v6. Since then, I've had 2-BMWs, 3 Caddys (one of them was my late Mother's), 2 Pontiac Grand Prix (both supercharged), 2 Mustangs (one GT and one Cobra 'vert), 1 Audi, 3 Acura TLs, 1 Honda Accord, 1 Chevy Tahoe, 1 Toyota 4Runner, 1 Mazda RX8, 1 Pontiac Vibe, 1 Hyundai Elantra (in my name, but bought it for my son).

So, what is that? Depending on how you count it, that's 19 cars in 20 years.....roughly! Been posting at Edmunds through all of them.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I joined over 10 years ago and even then there were many more "spirited" discussions. The old Midsize sedan board and "mainstream large sedan" boards come to mind. Inconsiderate drivers was another one.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

People have definitely mellowed.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

I need some guidance. No, not on how to live my life guidance.....some ideas of a home-type security system.

On New Years Day my wife organized a potluck dinner for our community in Florida. I helped run the auction which was very successful and we had a lot of laughs. Sold handbags and made up that they were Gucci or Coach. Had some imported coffee mugs.....imported from China.

Anyway, we raised $215 toward a security camera. We don't get too many incidences here but, it would be nice to have a record of who comes in and leaves. The camera would be attached to the clubhouse, and it would record cars as they enter and leave. I see some cameras don't need wiring, that would be a plus. What do I look for as far as performance etc.? Is there a particularly good model? How much does a decent one cost? Let me know if there is a particular one on amazon...that would be a way we could order it. We do have a handyman and some residents who can install it.

Should be careful of those wireless cameras. I hear a talented hacker can end up watching you with your own equipment.

Why not try putting up a sign like this:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    driver100 said:

I just installed an outdoor nest cam. Camera cost ~ $199 and rolling 10 days of video storage is $100/year.

The camera is mounted on my front porch and captures a very wide view of my front yard as well as the street. The camera it self needed AC power and as I was remodeling my living room and had the internal walls stripped down to the studs it was easy to run the wire into my attic to an outlet I installed for just this purpose.

Pros:
    Very clear HD video
    Captures sound as well and allows me to speak to people at my door
    Camera and video feed can be shared with others
    Video data available anywhere your smartphone/tablet or computer have web access
    Super simple app design and video access
    Alerts to my phone when somebody comes to my porch

Cons:
    Wired - Cable can be cut by proactive bad guy/girl
    Cost (though IMHO totally worth it!)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I've been a member since around '98 though my profile shows '01. I used to post, but not frequently in the Cadillac Catera, Olds Intrigue and Aurora forums. Only in the past 18 months have I participated on a regular basis. I have found the information and friendship shared very enjoyable--a good group of car enthusiasts.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited January 2017
    I am looking at the Ring stick-up cam myself. It is $199 for the camera plus an additional $49 for a plug-in Solar Powered charger for the battery that can be mounted alongside of it. The cost is similar annually and doesn't require running power. Reviews seem to indicate that even in cloudy environments, the solar panel does a great job of keeping it fully charged all the time.

Planning to get two - one for the front walkway and one over the garage doors that covers the courtyard between the other properties in my sub-development.

Also, apparently if it is stolen and caught on video, Ring will replace it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Well that sort of explains some of the mood swings you have shown in here. I never knew there was an osmosis effect from peddling books.

As for your security problem, I can't help with that other than to suggest that you otta grab a book on that subject and see what happens. :o

jmonroe
    You mean like an "Idiots Guide to Security Cameras"
    I take that as an insult. :@

stever said:

The rear quarter panel still has some dents in it too!

stever said:

Thanks, afaik they did not remove the door. It's not flush all the way across the top. I saw the van after the body work was done and before they repainted the panel and the door was on. More pics here.

The adjuster is the body shop; they do the estimate and the insurance company decides whether it's a total or repairable. Good idea about asking for another adjuster, since the shop won't be impartial.

I never heard of the, "The adjuster is the body shop". You are right about that not being impartial. That's why you should contact your insurance company to see how they can help you.

FWIW, the sliding doors on Son #1's '08 Town and Country seem to always give him fits. He took it to the dealer a couple of times and they "fixed it" but the "fix" only lasted a week or two at the most. I thought it was "fixed" when the 2 of us gave it a try. That seemed to work for the longest time, a couple years IIRC, then it acted up again. My Son did the next "fix" by himself and never had a problem after that.

I'd offer to come out and help, but with my track record, it probably won't be permanent and I don't want you bad-mouthing me in here about that or worse yet, hiking my dues. :'(

So, get out a couple wrenches and "fix it" yourself.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

Should be careful of those wireless cameras. I hear a talented hacker can end up watching you with your own equipment.

Why not try putting up a sign like this:

That would scare me off!

murphydog said:

driver100 said:

I just installed an outdoor nest cam. Camera cost ~ $199 and rolling 10 days of video storage is $100/year.

Pros:
    Very clear HD video
    Captures sound as well and allows me to speak to people at my door
    Camera and video feed can be shared with others
    Video data available anywhere your smartphone/tablet or computer have web access
    Super simple app design and video access
    Alerts to my phone when somebody comes to my porch

Cons:
    Wired - Cable can be cut by proactive bad guy/girl
    Cost (though IMHO totally worth it!)
    Good info murphydog, much appreciated.

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe
    You should. :p

jmonroe

edited January 2017

I am looking at the Ring stick-up cam myself. It is $199 for the camera plus an additional $49 for a plug-in Solar Powered charger for the battery that can be mounted alongside of it. The cost is similar annually and doesn't require running power. Reviews seem to indicate that even in cloudy environments, the solar panel does a great job of keeping it fully charged all the time.

Planning to get two - one for the front walkway and one over the garage doors that covers the courtyard between the other properties in my sub-development.

Over 1200 reviews and 4 stars.....looks impressive.
    And, I could buy a matching shirt:

(no horizontal stripes)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I remember one of the issues with our 1995 Voyager was a sliding door that tended to not fit tight enough. first time it happened, we were on a trip, and as we drove the "door ajar" alarm kept freaking out. Man, that was annoying. Got out a few times and slammed it shut, which helped temporarily. Went in a few times to be adjusted.

just one of the many issues that van had. And why I traded it at 3 YO for a Quest (which happened to be right when I found and joined these forums).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

Over 1200 reviews and 4 stars.....looks impressive.
    And, I could buy a matching shirt:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41H3xyW1qVL._AC_US200_.jpg
    They have a deluxe model that has horizontal stripes. ;)

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Something about hating SUVs was also big. Inconsiderate Drivers was the best, and yeah, there were some who would just troll there for a response, usually the stubborn old LLC type. Most fun thread in Edmunds history. I had someone on a random car forum ask me if I was "fintail" from Edmunds based on that thread.
    tjc78 said:

I joined over 10 years ago and even then there were many more "spirited" discussions. The old Midsize sedan board and "mainstream large sedan" boards come to mind. Inconsiderate drivers was another one.

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I was going to say something about "The Idiots Guide to Waxing and Polishing", but, I am much to kind and polite to do that :D (better use a smiley face)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Stever, if you are getting the runaround, definitely get on the insurance company.

As for the forums getting mellower, maybe it is partially because vehicles are getting more generic. There are some exceptions, but for many there really isn't much to argue about these days, or at least enough to get worked up about.
    driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I was going to say something about "The Idiots Guide to Waxing and Polishing", but, I am much to kind and polite to do that :D (better use a smiley face)
    I'm the one that wrote that book. Intended for guys like you. I didn't even know it was still in circulation. If you have it, keep it. It's in the right hands.

I'm more polite, you get 2 smiley faces, :D:D and you'll get another one if you don't screw up the instructions in my book. :D

jmonroe

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    ...laugh your cares away B)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    fintail said:

Something about hating SUVs was also big. Inconsiderate Drivers was the best, and yeah, there were some who would just troll there for a response, usually the stubborn old LLC type. Most fun thread in Edmunds history. I had someone on a random car forum ask me if I was "fintail" from Edmunds based on that thread.

tjc78 said:

I've been on other forums and seen some of our regulars handles. I'm the same handle on any forum I join.

Forgot about the SUV forum.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited January 2017
    driver100 said:

stever said:

The rear quarter panel still has some dents in it too!

Lol, that was the before pic.

The actual bodywork looks good, at least from 10'. But I don't know what I'm looking for.

stever said:

The other day the insurance company called to follow up on the wife's accident to let us know that the other driver and their insurance accepted 100% liability and to get a little info to get our deductible "refunded" from the other insurance company. (Money in my account in less than 2 min). When she asked if I had any other concerns, I mentioned that since the primary physical damage was to the right front suspension, I was going to be keeping an eye out for unusual tire wear, even though the alignment after bent part replacement is "within specs". She told me if anything comes up to let them know and the authorized shop where the work was done will take care of it and it would be covered. I'm not really expecting any issue, but I'll feel better once I get another 5k on the car and get to the next tire rotation and see nothing out of the ordinary.

Hey, after my deer incident and the wife getting hit 4.5 weeks later, the adjuster and I are on a first name basis. :)
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, this place has a warranty on the work too.

But it would help if they'd do the work in the first place and it's irritating that they let me have the van back when it should have been pretty obvious to a body shop that the door was out of whack.

I need to retire so I'd have time to go camp out on their lawn and compose some registered letters to the insurance company about good faith and our safety. :p
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited January 2017
    tjc78 said:

Mostly, people have left, and few, if any, new ones have replaced them. There is a core of people who persist, and here we are.

I often get the impression that Edmunds would just as soon we all went away, but, as always, I could be wrong.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    driver100 said:

Here you go:

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/home-security/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Here you go:

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/home-security/

lol...that;s it....or this:

tjc78 said:

Mostly, people have left, and few, if any, new ones have replaced them. There is a core of people who persist, and here we are.

I often get the impression that Edmunds would just as soon we all went away, but, as always, I could be wrong.

Could be Short Attention Span Theater, or maybe the 140 character "Twitter effect" :) Everything seems to be like Rocket Mortgage now - push button, get mortgage (yea, that's how it works) - but our CONVERSATIONS here are waaay better than a lot of what passes for message boards/forums/communities out there. After all, between all of us, we've done and know EVERYTHING, right? B)

At the very least, we're savvy enough to know where to look it up!!
    edited January 2017
    And then there is this for JM....it is number 17 million in Amazon the rankings....I have never seen a book with so few copies sold.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    tjc78 said:
    I've been on other forums and seen some of our regulars handles. I'm the same handle on any forum I join. Forgot about the SUV forum.
    I also use the same name everywhere, although I have learned to cap the Q to avoid people addressing me as gbrozen. 

Oh, I certainly remember the SUV thread. Almost drove me out of here. There was one poster, I don't remember the name, who would post disparaging remarks about suvs and their owners, I'd make a logical argument that he'd actually concede to, but then go back to his old ways the next day. After maybe a half dozen times of this circle, I unsubscribed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey, just ran across a road it might be fun to drive. Road to Tianmen Cave in China

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited January 2017
    I'd much rather drive the road than ride the cables way above the ground! I can feel my toes curling with the sensation of height in that picture. I had enough trouble with the short tram ride up the hillside at Altoona, PA, and
    Horseshoe Curve on the railroad there. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @driver100, You should just stand at the gate and take everyone's picture :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    PF_Flyer said:

Hey, just ran across a road it might be fun to drive. Road to Tianmen Cave in China

I can just hear my GPS....veer to the right, wooooooow, sharp left, move to the right...now sharp right, move to the left, TURN TURN TURN TO THE LEFT NOW - Ok straighten out and move to the right.................

edited January 2017

@driver100, You should just stand at the gate and take everyone's picture :)

lol.....but, I am thinking the security camera will have two purposes.
    1) Act as a security camera so we might catch bad guys one day,
    and,
    2)We can get rid of the speed bump at the stop sign and just fine people $25 if they don't stop. Could be a big revenue producer.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

tjc78 said:

AHHH, the old Luxury Lounge. Man did I have a ton of fun on that one a few years ago !! That one has to be Steves' all time favorite forum.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Thinking back to Ye Olden Days of the forums here, one of my favorites was the Pontiac Aztek forum, especially just before and for a year or so after its introduction. Holy cow, that was hilarious. The mods were deleting stuff left and right.

Then of course we had the dark days of the Great Granularity Grind, when existing forums were broken up into minute topics. That was so bad I actually got banned from the topic regarding the Forums themselves, but thankfully not the rest of it. IIRC I called out some now long-departed bigwig for claiming the move to granularity resulted in increased traffic. Good times.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6