Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Which car should I buy ?

sjedmunds1sjedmunds1 Member Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in General
Want to upgrade to used luxury model.

Total Budget $25k

Options
1. Audi A8 (2014) - approx mileage 40k
2. Benz E350 (2013) - approx mileage 40k
3. Jaguar XF (2013) - Approx mileage 40k
4. Range Rover LR2 Base - approx mileage 50k
5. BMW 535Xi - 2014 - approx mileage 60k

my criteria is less maintenance costs, drive 3 years trouble free, not looking for power (good to have).

Question 1: Please advise better option from above
Question 2: Which certified pre-owned option is the best amongst above. I am in Northeast USA, if it helps.

Thanks
SJ

Answers

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

Want to upgrade to used luxury model.

Total Budget $25k

Options
    1. Audi A8 (2014) - approx mileage 40k
    2. Benz E350 (2013) - approx mileage 40k
    3. Jaguar XF (2013) - Approx mileage 40k
    4. Range Rover LR2 Base - approx mileage 50k
    5. BMW 535Xi - 2014 - approx mileage 60k

my criteria is less maintenance costs, drive 3 years trouble free, not looking for power (good to have).

Question 1: Please advise better option from above
    Question 2: Which certified pre-owned option is the best amongst above. I am in Northeast USA, if it helps.

Thanks
    SJ

Your desire to have a low cost maintenance ownership experience contradicts with every car you've listed.

Have you considered a Lexus or Acura?

Let me get some regular posters over here to offer their opinions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Do you mean Land Rover LR2? First, I own one and it is far from luxurious. It is OK, but it is noisy and doesn't ride very well. Second, $25k for one is excessive. We spent $16k for one with 23k miles. Granted, it is an '09 model we bought in Nov 2015.

Of those, I believe the Benz has the best odds of being kind to your wallet in the long run. Agree with above that you should give a look to Lexus. I would vote Infiniti rather than Acura, though. Just personal preference, but I don't care for Acura's use of the Honda FWD platforms. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Vote for the Mercedes or BMW. Probably slide towards the Mercedes because of the lower mileage. And, that gen of E series has been solid and around for a while, very solid.

As Q points out, Lexus (GS350), Infiniti (Q) and Acura (TL) would prove to be reliable, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Infiniti, Acura, Lexus ES all should give the feature content, plus solid reliability. For the MB, how about a 2014 C class? Last year of a solid model run, pretty reliable, cheaper than an E class. And a little outside the box, but a Volvo S80 is a nice car.

Some non-CPO options (if you pick a reliable brand, can save a huge amount not getting a CPO warranty you probably won't use). Keep in mind that most of these have 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, plus 6 year powertrain, so buy one with an eye toward inservice date, and still have full coverage initially and powertrain for 3 years or so.

super low miles "big" infiniti. Just a little over budget, but one with normal miles would be less.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2014-infiniti-q70-4dr_sedan_v6_awd-used-15721104.html

Normal ES350, nothing fancy but as reliable as an anvil.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2014-lexus-es_350-4dr_sedan-used-15881186.html

Nice C class. Actually, look at all the inventory at this place. They have very nice stuff, good prices, and a great reputation. they carry a lot of the options you mention.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2014-mercedes~benz-c~class-certified_c300_4matic_sport_awd_sedan_camera__navi-used-15579344.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Have 3 year old A8 depreciated that much already? Or do you mean A6?

Of those, I would actually pick MB as the easiest to live with, by then the platform was 4 years old, and shouldn't have any big kinks. Audi and LR2 would scare me a bit. I agree with the other choices, a C or Japanese brands might be easier on the maintenance budget.
  • Options

1. Yes LR2 is the Range Rover (in my list above)
    2. If I buy an 2014 E350 (approx 40kmiles) and drive about 20 k miles per year do I need to get a CPO model or no ? Also do I need an extended warranty when I buy ? I intend to keep it till 100k miles.

Cheers
    SJ
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    fintail said:

Have 3 year old A8 depreciated that much already? Or do you mean A6?

Of those, I would actually pick MB as the easiest to live with, by then the platform was 4 years old, and shouldn't have any big kinks. Audi and LR2 would scare me a bit. I agree with the other choices, a C or Japanese brands might be easier on the maintenance budget.

Any particular reason you are wary of LR2 and Audi A8?? and yes A6 fits the 25k tab. A8 is at least 35k(my bad)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2017
    Punishing maintenance and repair costs. If they're good, you're good. If they go bad, you're ....well...it isn't pretty.

• Options
    The LR2 is mostly Volvo, which is why I was fairly comfortable buying one. It does, however have a major and expensive common fault: rear differential bearing failure. It also gets about 18mpg on a regular basis under my wife's care, who gets 22mpg in her van, so I know she drives mildly.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Reputation mostly. Rovers have a history of not aging well, and Audis are in the same boat, although I think both have improved a lot in recent years.

And yeah, if the car will be doing heavy duty commuting, I would look for a warranty. These cars might not always break big, but small issues can cost big money.

Any particular reason you are wary of LR2 and Audi A8?? and yes A6 fits the 25k tab. A8 is at least 35k(my bad)

• Options
    just MHO, but if you are looking for something to put 20K miles per year on, starting with a higher end European luxury car with 40K on the clock is not the best way to go.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

just MHO, but if you are looking for something to put 20K miles per year on, starting with a higher end European luxury car with 40K on the clock is not the best way to go.

Better than getting a new one with 0 miles on it though!

Also, I'd add you should check CR for the latest data. A lot of people here are stuck in their old ways and old-fashioned beliefs :smile:

I think you'll find that Audi's been making exceptional cars for at least the last 7 years. Infinity seems to be plagued with Nissan's "cost cut at all cost" attitude as of late. Acura has fallen a bit too.

Lexus is really your only sure-bet as they've been reliable 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and now.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Thanks to great advise.
    I have narrowed down the choice between S550 4MATIC (slightly older) and an E350 4Matic (newer). Which one will be less hassle and better to drive for longer term ? Both are under $30K.

Mercedes Benz SL550 4MATIC: $27,470 and 58,148 mi.: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690122055/overview/
    or
    Mercedes Benz E350 4MATIC $29,995 and 26,385 mi.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/692897376/overview/

Please send me your advise. thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Thanks to great advise.
    I have narrowed down the choice between S550 4MATIC (slightly older) and an E350 4Matic (newer). Which one will be less hassle and better to drive for longer term ? Both are under $30K.

Mercedes Benz SL550 4MATIC: $27,470 58,148 mi.: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690122055/overview/
    or
    Mercedes Benz E350 4MATIC 29,995 , 26,385 mi.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/692897376/overview/

Please send me your advise. thanks

I would think the newer, lower mileage E350 will not only be cheaper to maintain, it may hold it's value slightly better, as it will always have 30K less miles than the S550.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    between those 2, absolutely the E350.

• Options
    Google s550 reliability or s550 maintenance or s550 problems, etc. Pretty sure you'd be FAR better off with the E.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think the E350 will prove to be the better value now and at resale.
  • Options
    mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Go with E350 as I believe it will be more reliable and has less mileage. Would also get extended warranty for minimum of 2 years.
  • Options
    How much will an extended warranty cost ? Any idea how many miles can I drive on EW ? Thx 
  • Options
    Check with different MB dealers, suspect a few thousand. There are 3rd party warranties, but be very careful. With MB I know CPO vehicles give you an additional 100,000 miles.
  • Options
    Do you feel CPO is a better option ? I am planning to buy E350 2014 model or more recent one.  Thanks 
  • Options
    My son purchased a CPO C class 2014 in December. I made sure it was a CPO vehicle. When a lease is returned, a dealer may decide to buy it and make it either a CPO or regular pre-owned vehicle. They will not make certain vehicles CPO as it may require extra money to do it or it has many issues. I would go CPO as I feel you have more piece of mind. Others may disagree with me. BTW, you can still have issues with a CPO vehicle. I have a place up the block from me that sells pre-owned luxury with only 90 day warranty. Many of the local car dealers do not mind as theses vehicles often need work done at there service area.