Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Detail

Wow! very nice looking sheet metal. And the size looks just right. Enjoy with undiluted pleasure.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I saw a couple more new model TLXs on the road recently. They are selling some!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

bwia said:

I've been reading "first drive" reviews of the 2018 Toyota Camry and they all sound the same.

The test drives were done in Portland at a big Toyota reveal. Apparently, auto journalists were invited to Portland to assess the new Camry. All the reviews were positive and appeared to follow a Toyota prepared script. In one video review the journalist bragged that Toyota had brought him out here, implying that it was a free trip.

So I am thinking, isn't this a rigged system if Toyota pays the freight for every journalist invited to the big reveal? Before condemning Toyota I'd like to hear others take on this opaque ethical business practice.

Every manufacturer flies in journalists for vehicle introductions. I have covered 3 BMW world premiers as well as one US premier for Roundel magazine, and they were all pretty elaborate affairs. That said, I never felt pressured by either BMW or my editor to write a glowing review, In fact my last article(on the F16 X6) could hardly be called an enthusiastic endorsement. I'd also note that both Car and Driver and Road&Track have not been all that complementary towards most of Munich's current lineup.

It is easy to spot the lazy journalists, as they essentially just tweak the press materials when they crank out their story.
    @roadburner, thanks for the insight. All along I thought auto "journalists" were supposed to be independent in thought and "appearance" and not a another mouthpiece for the automaker. It might be common business practice in the auto industry but that relationship just seems wrong. Thank goodness for organizations like Consumer Reports.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    edited June 2017
    My adrenaline is still pumping.
    Was playing with my daughter's dog in the back yard when it broke free from its' line.
    I didn't want her know I was freaking out about it, so I just kept chasing her around the yard.
    Next thing I know she takes off to the neighbor's. Turns out he was walking into the back yard, she saw him and headed straight for him.
    I told him she was off her line and I was trying to catch her.
    The 2 of us tried wrangling her with no success, although keeping her occupied.
    Then my wife came out and the 3 of us tried to catch her with no success.
    Next thing I know a pack of coyotes just inside the woods behind the house start baying.
    She hears that and heads straight for them.
    I happened to be between her, the woods and the pack. As she ran by me I made what I considered to be a life and death dive and managed to grab one of her legs before she got to the trees.
    If she had gotten by me, I hate think what could have happened to her.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

My adrenaline is still pumping.
    Was playing with my daughter's dog in the back yard when it broke free from its' line.
    I didn't want her know I was freaking out about it, so I just kept chasing her around the yard.
    Next thing I know she takes off to the neighbor's. Turns out he was walking into the back yard, she saw him and headed straight for him.
    I told him she was off her line and I was trying to catch her.
    The 2 of us tried wrangling her with no success, although keeping her occupied.
    Then my wife came out and the 3 of us tried to catch her with no success.
    Next thing I know a pack of coyotes just inside the woods behind the house start baying.
    She hears that and heads straight for them.
    I happened to be between her, the woods and the pack. As she ran by me I made what I considered to be a life and death dive and managed to grab one of her legs before she got to the trees.
    If she had gotten by me, I hate think what could have happened to her.

Wow, close call. Young dog? Sounds like a trip to obedience school is in order.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Yikes!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited June 2017
    @explorerx4, glad the pup is okay, even though she's a bad girl.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    Wow, when our dog was young he got once and it was a brutal few minutes trying to get him back in the yard.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    @explorerx4- glad your dog is okay. My idiot dog was a complete psycho at the vet today. No life and death issues aside from me wanting to strangle him...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2017
    We are watching my daughter's/husband's dog while they are on their honeymoon.

Would have hated to lose her.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

pensfan83 said:

Pen you probably missed my review of an X.1 rental I had when my 2015 E.400 got totalled. I loved it especially after I had to take back a Fusion that kept stalling out and a Chrysler 300 that wanted to steer itself. Lots of fun, but just me, I like the spaciousness and layout of the A.4 more - though both are fun cars to drive. With so few miles on it, the A.4 might be worth buying back???

I test drove one a little while back after seeing an X1 demo for sale. The demo was sold by the time I got there but the salesman was accommodating and I test drove a new 2017. I agree with the fun factor and it was roomier than expected. I know I've seen a few people with X1's in their signature and when they have come up in conversation I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it; in fact most everyone seems to rave about them.

As for buying the car I've thought of it but the factory warranty runs out in April 2018 and I have only 1 more service remaining on my Audi Care from lease inception, which would be done in October should I keep it. I previously owned a B5 A4 that wasn't in warranty and I was forced to get ride of it because of the repair bills. On top of that I think I'm ready for a change in vehicle, if not brand.

We leased a 2016 X1 demo back in January as our family car. We absolutely love it. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Explorer....Beautiful dog, glad she didn't become coyote food. When we lived in the country we had coy dogs around so I suppose they don't necessarily attack. Glad you saved her, that would be an awful one to try and explain.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

For those following my exciting saga about replacing the drywall I got a second estimate from the management companies reconstruction company. The first estimate from the scam man was $8000. The new one is $1800 which the condo insurance will cover. The vanity has to be replaced and may be covered by our insurance company.

Here is my question. Where do you go to buy a new vanity? Of course it needs to be a certain size etc, so you don't just go to Home Depot and pick one out. I like I.K.E.A. type stuff but not sure what my wife is thinking. :(

Thanks for that Marco. I have seen a lot of those on those trip to Germany and since they don't have badges I was going to try and figure out what those V.W.s were once I got home.

They look really nice and quite substantial. The digital instrument display looked pretty nice in one YouTube feature. That T.i.g.u.a.n. looks like a contender in that segment.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    driver100 said:

Here is my question. Where do you go to buy a new vanity? Of course it needs to be a certain size etc, so you don't just go to Home Depot and pick one out. I like I.K.E.A. type stuff but not sure what my wife is thinking. :(

Actually most of the time that's exactly what you do unless it is a custom size. Most stock vanities come in standard sizes starting at 24" wide and going up in 6" increments though there are other sizes in between occasionally that you see. Variations are in the countertop material, sink type, material it is made from, color and overall style. HD/Lowes have hundreds of choices online.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

For those following my exciting saga about replacing the drywall I got a second estimate from the management companies reconstruction company. The first estimate from the scam man was $8000. The new one is $1800 which the condo insurance will cover. The vanity has to be replaced and may be covered by our insurance company.

Most vanities are stock sizes.  Home Depot/Lowes will most likely have what you need or can order it.  If that fails I'm sure there are plenty of plumbing supplies that will have what you are looking for (with better quality, than HD/Lowes). 

We are watching my daughter's/husband's dog while they are on their honeymoon.

Would have hated to lose her.

Well that picture explains it, she's half wolf. Call of the wild, you know.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @explorerx4 - glad your daughter's dog is ok.  Coyotes are everywhere in CT.  Sounds like quite an ordeal you went through.

@driver100 - I read about your bathroom flood saga.  @jmonroe & @imidazol97 both made excellent suggestions to help you prevent such a fiasco in the future.  I didn't fell it was necessary to chime in.  I do appreciate that you value my opinion though.

As as far as vanities go, I'd go to a cabinet place that will make you a 3/4" thick plywood vanity cabinet.  Most of the big box stores sell pressed wood which might look nice, but will literally fall apart the instant they get water on them or in Florida's humid climate.  Then I'd go to a stone place and figure out what kind of top you want (granite, marble, synthetic stone).  They will most likely have a reminant piece left over from a job that they will custom cut for you.  Last I'd go to a plumbing supply and pick out an undermount sink and a nice faucet (either single hole or wide spread) from Symmons, Grohe, Hans Grohe, or Huntington Brass.  Make sure you have a reputable, licensed contractor do the installation.  Lastly, post pics!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    explorer....daughter's husband's dog? Now it's a part of your family. Actually, beautiful dog.

Glad all's well that end's well.

I've had 4 dogs (3 cats, 6 goldfish) in my lifetime. Being a truly empty nester and single, I wonder if I should get another. I'd like to. Issue there is, while I'm still working (and traveling as a result) I'd have to board her/him a goodly amount of time. Not sure that'd be fair to a dog.

Craig....great job on the new SUV. Great shape!

Music on thumb drives....not a bad idea to start a business that sells them. But, by the time you have licensing fees, ongoing royalties, etc, not sure how profitable it would be. On a large scale like iTunes, Amazon Music, Google Play, etc, it makes sense (and lots of money).

If you have an iTunes account for example, you can transfer your songs onto a thumb drive. For me, it's easy to stream via blue tooth, or just plug my phone to my car, and use Apple Car Play, which is one of the many reasons I like it so much.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    There are usually kitchen/bath supplies stores that sell better quality vanities, but you'll pay a higher price. YMYV.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    nyccarguy said:

@explorerx4 - glad your daughter's dog is ok.  Coyotes are everywhere in CT.  Sounds like quite an ordeal you went through.

@driver100 - I read about your bathroom flood saga.  @jmonroe & @imidazol97 both made excellent suggestions to help you prevent such a fiasco in the future.  I didn't fell it was necessary to chime in.  I do appreciate that you value my opinion though.

As as far as vanities go, I'd go to a cabinet place that will make you a 3/4" thick plywood vanity cabinet.  Most of the big box stores sell pressed wood which might look nice, but will literally fall apart the instant they get water on them or in Florida's humid climate.  Then I'd go to a stone place and figure out what kind of top you want (granite, marble, synthetic stone).  They will most likely have a reminant piece left over from a job that they will custom cut for you.  Last I'd go to a plumbing supply and pick out an undermount sink and a nice faucet (either single hole or wide spread) from Symmons, Grohe, Hans Grohe, or Huntington Brass.  Make sure you have a reputable, licensed contractor do the installation.  Lastly, post pics!

Pssssssst...tell him if he flys you down you'll bring the sink. Say your wife and kids are the project consultants. ;)

Help!

I'm at an 8-hour seminar and man am I bored. All the guy does is to talk about himself. Problem is I am paying for this out of pocket. What a waste of time and money...so much for continuing professional education. 
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

explorer....daughter's husband's dog? Now it's a part of your family. Actually, beautiful dog.

Glad all's well that end's well.

I've had 4 dogs (3 cats, 6 goldfish) in my lifetime. Being a truly empty nester and single, I wonder if I should get another. I'd like to. Issue there is, while I'm still working (and traveling as a result) I'd have to board her/him a goodly amount of time. Not sure that'd be fair to a dog.

Craig....great job on the new SUV. Great shape!

Music on thumb drives....not a bad idea to start a business that sells them. But, by the time you have licensing fees, ongoing royalties, etc, not sure how profitable it would be. On a large scale like iTunes, Amazon Music, Google Play, etc, it makes sense (and lots of money).

If you have an iTunes account for example, you can transfer your songs onto a thumb drive. For me, it's easy to stream via blue tooth, or just plug my phone to my car, and use Apple Car Play, which is one of the many reasons I like it so much.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but my salesman lied to me. I had asked if the new '16 TTS supported FLAC files, since the '14 S4 disappointingly did not. I was told it did not, which was doubly disappointing. Flash-forward to the other day, I open the manual, and lo and behold the car does support FLAC files; worthy of the Bang & Olufsen sound system.

Hooray for Audi. Shame on me for taking so long to open the Car's Owner's Manual; usually I do read/skim through them sooner. My future music can now be purchased in modern day high quality lossless FLAC files. Apple's lossless conversion from CD's is good too, but last I checked, everything bought from I-tunes is just a compressed 256KB/sec bit rate.

Anyone have software for converting everything to FLAC?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    bwia said:

Help!

I'm at an 8-hour seminar and man am I bored. All the guy does is to talk about himself. Problem is I am paying for this out of pocket. What a waste of time and money...so much for continuing professional education. 

At least you know now who not to emulate.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    Like I always say, "...never a dull moment in my life!"

Here's the saga - it started with one issue and ended up with yet another issue.

After finishing my daily walk at the mall, I drove home and parked my car in my usual spot. It was starting to rain, so I got home just in time. Once the lightning and thunder started, the rains were close behind. I was in the kitchen having my lunch about 30 minutes later when the door bell rang and there was repeated knocking. I opened the door and it was one of my upstairs neighbors telling me that the trunk to my car was open and the trunk was flooded with water. She said she closed the trunk, but that I better bring down lots of towels.

So, I grabbed 6 towels and went down to the car. I opened the trunk and it was filled with water. I put the towels in and tried to sop up as much as I could. I closed the trunk and got into my car. I called my BMW dealership and told them I was on my way down. I was furious - not because of this one issue, but because I had the car in service for 5 days in April for "inadvertent" trunk opening issues. I believe I reported the problem here on the forum. I also called BMW Consumer Relations and told them I did not want to drive home in this car from the dealership. This issue with inadvertent trunk opening is not just a problem with water in the trunk, but also a security issue. BMW USA told me they were writing up a report and that an issues manager will be contacting me tomorrow about this problem. It was doing fine since April, but then today, during heavy rains, the trunk opened by itself once again.

So they have the car and, as they usually do, they inspected it for damage before I got into the loaner they provided me with. Unfortunately, my service advisor found a stone chip in my front windshield on the driver's side on the far bottom - an area that I could not see from inside the car. I was told that I should replace the windshield because the chip (about the size and diameter of a pencil eraser tip) had infiltrated the laminate. I could wait, since it was not in my line of sight, but that eventually it will spider web.

Since I have heads up display, the windshield is going to cost about $1200-$1500. I contacted my insurance company and they gave me the phone number to Safe-Lite. Safe-Lite stated that they would replace the windshield to vehicle specs including compatibility for heads up display. If I do it with them, it will be less expensive. Or, they said I could wait until the chip worsens, which could take a year or could happen tomorrow.

There is no deductible on front windshields in the State of Florida, so I would not have to pay anything. But if I wanted OEM replacement, I might have to pay out of pocket for above and beyond costs.

As for the car, I have to drive down again tomorrow morning after rush hour to bring them the remaining two keys to the car - one is a duplicate of the one they have with the car now and the other one is called a display key which has a miniature display function with animation - that's the one I don't use very much.

On the way home, I took the Turnpike and there were three accidents due to the heavy rains going north so it took me 2 hours to get home - usually takes me 30 minutes.

This has not been a good day.

I did get the blood test results back from the doctor - no detectible Hep C virus. So now I wait for 8 weeks (or 4 weeks after I take the last pill in the regimen) for another blood test. If there is no detectible virus at that time, I will be quite excited. But, when I took the Harvoni pills and had that same blood test 4 weeks after completing the treatment, my virus was back. So I am not getting excited yet.

Thanks for letting me vent! :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2017
    abacomike said:

Like I always say, "...never a dull moment in my life!

Myself, I'd pay the extra to have the BMW glass put back in. The replacement brands meet all the requirements, but if you look through many car windshields at an angle, such as sitting next to them at a stoplight, you'll see the rippling. Do the same with your current new BMW or GM windshield and you'll see a minimum of that.

My leSabre had replacement glass with Safelight/Guardian and it was the heads up display type. I could see the waves looking through it at oblique angles. Same for my Cobalt's replacement windshield. Looking through the glass from inside at an angle closer to normal (90 deg) you don't notice the waves as much.

If the damage is out of the line of vision, I"m surprised they don't suggest drilling the chip to relieve stress and filling it with the silicon. Then waiting to see if it cracks further.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited June 2017
    @abacomike,
    I would try to repair the windshield before replacing it. Those resin fillers work really well.
    Bring it to a glass shop for a second opinion(Driver100 method).
    edited June 2017
    I had the opposite experience of @imidazol97.  The aftermarket (not Safelight, but from a respected independent shop) was flawless in my LaCrosse with HUD.  Tough day Mike.  Hang in there.  

On another note... anyone ever use this stuff?  It's like spray detailer on steroids   No hazing just rub on, rub off.  Did a nice quick job.  It won't replace a good waxing, but for in between creates a nice shine.

Never used that wax but in my experience Armor All and Turtle Wax products range from meh to just okay.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Here is what I ended up with!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/6192480588.html

I spotted this about ten minutes after he posted it. And he actually posted his (gasp!) phone number unlike
    95% of the other ads. You can't believe how many ads I responded to through emails and how few people responded back to me! I would think maybe some of these cars had sold but not many since I kept refreshing my search.

The Explorer is very unusual. The owner was anal in his care and there is an inch thick folder of receipts. Anything the Ford Dealership suggested was done ahead of schedule. Synthetic oil etc. It is immaculate inside
    and out and given the 5000 miles/yr I'll put on it should be good for awhile.

Any suggestions on how I can remove the dark tint on the front two windows? I'll admit it looks cool for on dark rainy days tint REALLY cuts down on the visability. Besides, cops hate dark tint and this is so dark it
    may be illegal.

No, I didn't pay his asking price!

Boy that's a beautiful SUV. Extremely clean. That's the kind of owner you want to deal with. All repair records are a big plus. I agree, a phone number is a big plus. And he didn't conceal his license plate either. Nothing to hide.

What engine does it have...the 3.5L?

How aggressively did you grind on price? Hope you didn't use your Jedi car salesman mind tricks on the poor guy.
    I ended up giving him 4200.00 for it. If I get tired of it after a couple of years I might lose a grand I figure.

Does anyone know why people conceal their license plates? I don't get it!

Not bad. In my area they ask $5-6k for not as good.

I always figure that plate hiders are trying to hide that they are not the owner listed on the title. Of course it could just be someone afraid that an axe murder will find their address and come over to chop.

A 4.0? Old reliable technology. From what I've read about them you should get another 200k miles out of it.

Good to hear! I know nothing about the 4.0 engines.

Hmmm another 200,000? Lets see now....at 4000 miles a year if that.....it'll last me 50 years!
    @abacomike, your self-opening trunk is unacceptable, but I'm sure they'll have a fix...hang in there. The undetectable viral load on your most recent blood work is the best possible news thus far, and beats the other possibilities. So, go with it!
    edited June 2017
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Actually most of the time that's exactly what you do unless it is a custom size. Most stock vanities come in standard sizes starting at 24" wide and going up in 6" increments though there are other sizes in between occasionally that you see. Variations are in the countertop material, sink type, material it is made from, color and overall style. HD/Lowes have hundreds of choices online.

Perfect, thanks for the information. Guess we have to measure and then pick one out.

(took awhile to reply, just got home - 9 hour flight Berlin to Toronto....serious jetlag, 6 hour time difference)
    2 Beefs
    1) They fly you 5000 miles in 9 hours, but it takes 30 minutes standing on the tarmac waiting for them to find a gate they can use, and
    2) People who get out of their seat behind you and for someone reason they have to pull themselves up or sit down by grabbing a hold of my seat and yanking it almost out of the floor!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Funny thing re: trunks. Last week I arrived home late in the evening, and the CLA that parks beside me had an open trunk. I assumed the owner was loading or moving something, so I thought nothing of it. When I was going to work in the morning, I noticed the trunk was still open. I closed it. I talked to the owner last weekend, she had no idea.

For a quick pick me up to my car's finish, I use Meguiars Ultimate spray wax, and the fintail seems partial to Griot's spray wax (I won a bottle).
    edited June 2017
    nyccarguy said:

Great info.......I am getting more confident about this step now. Probably will leave it as the damage will be repaired and the mold removed. We will do it once we go to Florida in November....will probably take awhile to find and have installed.

Thanks tjc and suydam too.

edited June 2017

@abacomike,
    I would try to repair the windshield before replacing it. Those resin fillers work really well.

Resin worked for me to prevent the crack spreading but didn't erase it. Mine was a stress fracture rather than a stone chip so resin might work better for Mike.

Did Mike see a big dufus in a Madza 2 with grill marks on his bumper nearby? If so I know who chipped his windshield.

Mike....good positive news on the health issues, so that is good.

About the trunk, how does your car always know when it is raining.

About the windshield. When I got a stone chip in Florida in the E400 I got it filled twice. If I got a 3rd chip I would have got it replaced. I think filling it could strengthen it enough, and if it needs replacement Safelite will put your $100 cost of filling toward a new windshield. The guy at Safelite said a new Mercedes windshield with a logo would be $1300, the generic model that comes off the same line, made exactly the same, would cost $700, just no logo. As the guys here pointed out to me, I can buy a logo on EBay for $5.

fintail said:

Funny thing re: trunks. Last week I arrived home late in the evening, and the CLA that parks beside me had an open trunk. I assumed the owner was loading or moving something, so I thought nothing of it. When I was going to work in the morning, I noticed the trunk was still open. I closed it. I talked to the owner last weekend, she had no idea.

Was it a BMW?

tjc78 said:

I had the opposite experience of @imidazol97.  The aftermarket (not Safelight, but from a respected independent shop) was flawless in my LaCrosse with HUD.  Tough day Mike.  Hang in there.  

On another note... anyone ever use this stuff?  It's like spray detailer on steroids   No hazing just rub on, rub off.  Did a nice quick job.  It won't replace a good waxing, but for in between creates a nice shine.

I'm all about the lazy way out so I've used Turtle Wax ZiP Wash&Wax. Doesn't last long but I wash frequently so I don't mind. Gives a good shine.

Recently, a friend recommended this:

Really easy to use and gives a shine better than the Turtle. Real easy. Just spray on a towel and wipe on. Suppose to give a year shine. Doubtful but we'll see.

@abacomike,

Resin worked for me to prevent the crack spreading but didn't erase it. Mine was a stress fracture rather than a stone chip so resin might work better for Mike.

Did Mike see a big dufus in a Madza 2 with grill marks on his bumper nearby? If so I know who chipped his windshield.

Filling won't erase a stone chip completely.....there will be a mark left, but looks like a small bug that didn't get wiped off.
    I am glad I didn't replace the windshield after the first chip because I got another one a year later. They were fine once filled. It was likely I would have bought a new windshield after the 3rd one...I think the windshield would be considerably weakened at that point.

edited June 2017
    With all the pollen we have, I haven't bothered even washing the truck even after driving it in some mud.
    Rained pretty hard on the way home from work, so now it looks pretty good.
    I like Adams quick detailer plus their super VRT.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

abacomike said:

Myself, I'd pay the extra to have the BMW glass put back in. The replacement brands meet all the requirements, but if you look through many car windshields at an angle, such as sitting next to them at a stoplight, you'll see the rippling. Do the same with your current new BMW or GM windshield and you'll see a minimum of that.

My leSabre had replacement glass with Safelight/Guardian and it was the heads up display type. I could see the waves looking through it at oblique angles. Same for my Cobalt's replacement windshield. Looking through the glass from inside at an angle closer to normal (90 deg) you don't notice the waves as much.

If the damage is out of the line of vision, I"m surprised they don't suggest drilling the chip to relieve stress and filling it with the silicon. Then waiting to see if it cracks further.
    When a rock cracked the windshield in my 2 Series my insurance carrier steered me to Safelite but I went ahead and had a BMW windshield installed. I ended up paying zero out of pocket. The windshield in a 7 Series supports a lot of technology so I'd be hesitant to go with an aftermarket windshield.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I spotted this about ten minutes after he posted it. And he actually posted his (gasp!) phone number unlike
    95% of the other ads. You can't believe how many ads I responded to through emails and how few people responded back to me! I would think maybe some of these cars had sold but not many since I kept refreshing my search.

The Explorer is very unusual. The owner was anal in his care and there is an inch thick folder of receipts. Anything the Ford Dealership suggested was done ahead of schedule. Synthetic oil etc. It is immaculate inside

Any suggestions on how I can remove the dark tint on the front two windows? I'll admit it looks cool for on dark rainy days tint REALLY cuts down on the visability. Besides, cops hate dark tint and this is so dark it
    may be illegal.

Boy that's a beautiful SUV. Extremely clean. That's the kind of owner you want to deal with. All repair records are a big plus. I agree, a phone number is a big plus. And he didn't conceal his license plate either. Nothing to hide.

How aggressively did you grind on price? Hope you didn't use your Jedi car salesman mind tricks on the poor guy.
    I ended up giving him 4200.00 for it. If I get tired of it after a couple of years I might lose a grand I figure.

I always figure that plate hiders are trying to hide that they are not the owner listed on the title. Of course it could just be someone afraid that an axe murder will find their address and come over to chop.

A 4.0? Old reliable technology. From what I've read about them you should get another 200k miles out of it.

Hmmm another 200,000? Lets see now....at 4000 miles a year if that.....it'll last me 50 years!

Well, Q doesn't think the top end will make it but I found this as inspiration.

http://www.listingallcars.com/details/2003-Ford-Explorer-Used/2790889707087602067

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited June 2017

When a rock cracked the windshield in my 2 Series my insurance carrier steered me to Safelite but I went ahead and had a BMW windshield installed. I ended up paying zero out of pocket. The windshield in a 7 Series supports a lot of technology so I'd be hesitant to go with an aftermarket windshield.

Those are my thoughts.  The service manager is diagnosing the chip and when I go over to the dealership tomorrow morning, he'll give me his opinion.  His service department does the installation and contacts my insurance company.  

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'll know more tomorrow morning when I drop off my two other key fobs for the 7 series and then speak with him.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    2016 model MB CLA (the one like a mini CLS).
    driver100 said:

Was it a BMW?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

may be illegal.

http://www.listingallcars.com/details/2003-Ford-Explorer-Used/2790889707087602067

To paraphrase Shifty, you can make any car go for any number of miles with enough money. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,082

may be illegal.

I leased an '03 Explorer XLT when they were first released, with the 4.0L engine. It was an OK application - not too fast, not too slow, but likely durable as all get out. I honestly don't remember all that much about it, other than the fold down third row (a novelty for the time!), and that the rear window shattered on us at my SIL's house for no apparent reason.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

qbrozen said:

may be illegal.

To paraphrase Shifty, you can make any car go for any number of miles with enough money. 

Yeah, I think I've owned that car. :'(

Talk about never giving up. Almost a year ago I made an email inquiry at a local Honda place. The sales woman's robo system sent me this latest offer:

The big lease numbers look nice until you read the fine print and find out it's based on as much as a $4000 down payment and a $600 "acquisition fee".

Is the average customer that gulible?