Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I wouldn't worry about whether it is a '00 or '01. If you trade in often, thats another story.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    I have no Garage, and I have plenty of Tree's birds and other furry critters, thankfully I've moved away from the critter that chewed on my bumper early in my cat's life.

But I now own a EZ-up Tent, and a Cougar Car Cover, I'll be parking my Car under that for awhile, I may even install sides and a light so I can do Late night Waxing.....

Now the best news of my day so far, I've just saved $1000 Clams on my Auto Insurance
    Yipee (and no its not with GEICO) I knew I was getting Ripped off.I was paying way too much for two vehicles.
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    They must be some darn good clams for $1000! ;^)

Congrats Fredly, saving money is always fun even if it's $5.

Jimbo_G
  • ferrywhistleferrywhistle Member Posts: 30
    badulah and stageleft:

You were talking about moving the CSG website. Well, my fiance has a web hosting and design business. His name is Dave Miller and will be sending you an e-mail to cougarsupportgroup@worldnet.att.net so look out for it. If you guys are interested, let him know.
  • mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    I've been on vacation for the last few days. Just wanted to check in. I've only read the last two days of postings. I'll read the rest this weekend.

JRP6977 - thanks for the post. We do listen. There are competitive reasons for not announcing our cycle plan actions although this day in age because of technology it is hard to keep them secret. Mercury will be around regardless of what Blueoval news says. (I am not only Cougar Brand Manager but also Mercury Advanced Product Brand Manager as well. I wouldn't have the title if there wasn't product coming).

For those of you chopping down trees, I'm a tree lover. Be nice. Nothing better than opening the sunroof of the Cougar on a warm sunny day and cruising through northern Michigan, the Catskills, the pacific northwest, and every other tree lined road.

PS - I'm pretty sure the Cougar Fest 2000 date has been secured (September). I'll confirm then post. It will be cool.
    Yippeee! Cougarfest is getting a Date!
    I just hope my cougar is out of the shop
    by then ;o (going on 2 weeks) for minor
    warrantee stuff(OK and the darn bumper) and a state inspection..
    My Dealership never ceases to amaze me.
    MWS, Talking Commercials again,
    I just saw the FMC think Green Commercials
    ya know the ones with the Electric cars,
    now those were great/funny commercials...

Come'on really whats a couple million $
    for a Advertising campaign ;)
    oh well.
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I'm glad to hear that good news about Mercury, mws0520. I have been a Mercury fan and coupe fan for years. I've had Cougars, T-birds, and Mustangs. It's also good you're listening. And since your listening I would like to greatly encourage you as Cougar brand manager to look into increasing the number of adjustments on the Cougar's tilt steering column. The lack of enough adjustments on the Cougar wheel compromises my ability to get comfortable, and will definitely affect my future purchases.I'm 6ft tall and 170lbs yet I can't get as comfortable as I'd like in the Cougar. It's the single worst feature on the car.I've even heard salesmen complain about it. I noticed the 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse has gone to the more adjustable tilt wheel similar to those on the Sable and other Mercury products. I think improving the tilt column would make the Cougar more comfortable to a wider range of body types, and maybe sell more cars.Also, if a customer is able to be comfortable in a given car,that same customer is more likely to buy the same make or model again. Again, thanks for listening. I hope this information is helpful to you.
  • eurocareurocar Member Posts: 12
    The steering wheel for the European Cougars adjusts fore and aft as well as for rake. It'd be nice if Mercury Cougars would at least offer that as an option here in the US. Same thing with climate control, the German Cougars have automatic temp controls I think. I wouldn't care for either of the above, but they should be available to those who would like them.

After reading Car and Driver and Automobile, and listening to all the complaints about the uncomfortable seats, I have a question for this group: how many of you find the seats uncomfortable? I've done quite a bit of long distance driving now, and I honestly don't see how all these road testers find the seats so bad that they imply it totally detracts from the rest of the car.

MWS - Is Mercury aware of all the media's complaining about the seats? What's your take on this? Is Mercury considering changing the seats, or perhaps offering the Recaro's from the 'S' as an option? (I read that the 'S' has Recaros.. don't know if that's true really).

-dg
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    From my experience, I think it varies from car to car. The car I test drove had good seats- very comfortable. Unfortunately, the car I ordered doesn't have comfortable seats. It feels like they're leaning to the right, and I just can't find a comfortable position in them. Fortunately, I haven't had to take any long trips yet, about 1 hour is the longest. Other than that, and another 30-40 hp I love my cat- it's a great car!
    What I forgot to say was that- I could see people saying that the seats detracted from the car's overall experience if they are similar to mine. It's a minor detail though, and the rest of the car is so great, it's easy to overlook.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I find the seats in my cougar to be very firm and supportive. The longest trip I've taken was three and a half hours with no discomfort at all. I did have aftermarket leather installed when I bought my baby. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I feel sorry for all of you that have to leave your cats outside to face the elements, when your home. Thank God I have a garage to park my sweetheart in at night. I don't think I would be able to sleep knowing that she was left outside having to fend for herself.
    I don't think the seats are bad. They're a little hard, but not uncomfortable. The back seats are a different story, but the only thing that is ever in my back seat is my purse. So I really don't care about those. The steering wheel could tilt a little lower. The engine could use more horsepower. It would be nice if the car had jet boosters on the bottom so I could drive vertically. It could have a protective force field around it to protect against birds and maple trees. It could wash itself. It would also be nice if it did the dishes and vacuumed.
    Back about 7 monthes ago I took my Car in and had them look at my driver seat(lacked padding on the bolster part of the seat). They decided to replace the seat after assuring me that the new one would match 100%. Well, 2 weeks later I brought my Cat back to the dealer to have them replace the seat. To my amazement, when I got the car back the seat did not even match what was in the car originally. I asked why they even put the new seat in when it totally didn't match the rest of the car. They didn't have an answer. They told me that the company Ford outsources the seats from do not make the seat(fabric) that came with my car.. I WAS SHOCKED. They had to take the seat fabric from my old seat and put it on a new frame. Moral: If you need to replace your cloth seats, BE CAREFUL!!!!
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Um, I like my seats just fine.

I'm glad to hear Cougar Fest will be in September, this gives us more time to get CSG products ready.

I need some feedback from you guys. How much would all of you be willing to spend on a quality CSG Polo Shirt, and a CSG T-Shirt? I need a ball park figure so I can start working on both. Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Badulah
    RE: shirts
    If you want I have a guy who did the ones for NECO
    He also made me an embroidered POLO shirt, some who have come to gatherings or have ordered them can tell you what they think.
    I'm going to arrange to bring a variety of Products to CougarFest, Jackets, Hats, T's, etc. All being one off's
    I'm going to start getting pricing for the next round of purchases.

RE: Seats, I drove 16.5 hours ~1100 Miles and I have no complaints about my Sport Cloth seats.

I did sit on leather at a dealership and found they were remarkably firm... one reason, other than HOT/COLD for not choosing leather.
    Anyone know if heated mirrors come with the Sport package? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken. I haven't driven my cat in weather cold enough yet to have noticed.
    As far as I know, the mirrors are heated when you turn on the rear defroster.

Fredly:
    If you could send me the info, I would really appreciate it.
    ferrywistle, I thought all mirrors were heated? cause when i look in them my car looks hot... no just kidding(really bad joke)
    But I think regardless of package you get them.
    Badulah, I'll get you the info, I need to get to my house first...
    hehe
  • dkurtz1dkurtz1 Member Posts: 3
    Dear Cougar owners:
    I am about to order a new Cougar from the factory. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. However, I still need to keep the price as low as possible without leaving off anything I will regret.
    I would like to hear your advice on options for the Cougar. Several options that I would order if I could get them individually are packaged with other options that make them expensive.
    1. Do I really need the fog lights? I have read comments from some of you indicating that the headlights may need help from the fog lights.
    2. How badly do I need the rear window wiper?
    3. Will I be satisfied with the handling and braking of the 15-inch wheels? The 205 tires are the same width as the tires on my wife’s Windstar, so they ought to be able to hold a Cougar on the road. But the Cougar I test-drove (and loved) had 16-inch wheels with 215 tires.
    4. If my car comes with 15-inch Firestone Firehawks, what do you think of immediately swapping them for something with more grip? P.S. — I live in the snow belt.
    The options I intend to order are anti-lock brakes, traction control, side air bags and side moldings. I am getting a V-6. Performance and safety are more important to me than luxury and convenience.
    Thanks for your help.
    dkurtz1- In my case, I wanted my cat to look as sporty as possible. Therefore, I got the rear winshield wiper, spoiler, larger wheels, and fog lights. I think the car looks great with these additions, it looks very sporty. I can't imagine having a Cougar without these things. However, I know there are people in this group that feel differently, and are perfectly happy without these additions. It's all personal preference. I use the fog lights all the time, and they really help out a lot. I've had to use my rear winshield wipers many times too, and that's helped. So, not only do they make the car look sporty, they actually can be put to use. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck on your decision!
    sorry for the double post!
    dkurtz1- In my case, I wanted my cat to look as sporty as possible. Therefore, I got the rear winshield wiper, spoiler, larger wheels, and fog lights. I think the car looks great with these additions, it looks very sporty. I can't imagine having a Cougar without these things. However, I know there are people in this group that feel differently, and are perfectly happy without these additions. It's all personal preference. I use the fog lights all the time, and they really help out a lot. I've had to use my rear winshield wipers many times too, and that's helped. So, not only do they make the car look sporty, they actually can be put to use. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck on your decision!
    Its really great to have someone, particularly the Cougar brand manager, listening to our suggestions. I'm always impressed with a company that truly shows interest in its customers. Of course, it only makes sense to do so. In addition to adding more downward adjustment to the steering wheel(actually tilt/telescopic would be great) I would also go for the auto climate control. I noticed in european magazines that it's available and uses controls similar to the great trip computer. I also think that it would be great if the interior was more color-keyed. The carpet, and the bottom of the dash and door panels should match the seats. Besides looking good, this would reduce the horrible heat buildup in the car. Besides being easier on occupants, it would be easier on the AC. I remember one of the first Cougars I sat in back in May of 98. It was sitting in the sun in a dealers back lot. When I got in, the inside was so hot, I could barely touch the steering wheel. I know black is supposed to denote sportiness(why,I don't know) but I personally never liked it much in car interiors. My first thought when I saw all the black in the Cougar interior was that it must save the company lots of money using all the same color on carpet and door panels. I noticed Ford Division color-keyed the inside of the Mustang in later models after I bought my '94. I thought the change was for the better. I've also noticed great differences in the quality and fit and finnish of the leather interiors. Some of the leather I've seen is full of very fine wrinkles. Others are smoother, with only a few wrinkles typical of most leather seats. Again, thanks so much for the oportunity to give you my suggestions.
    I tell you what, lighter color leather steering wheels, tend to show dirt amazingly well(should see my dads Towncar steering wheel, yikes), and although we as a group take relatively good care of our cars, there is the unspoken group who would rather not be as tedious as we are.

Steering Column, it goes down enough for me, but I was concerned when I let it go up all the way and it pushes on the console up. Climate control, yeah why not offer it, especially because the Euro Cougar is made right here?

And one last suggestion probably never heard but here goes. The wiper squirters on the hood, perhaps could be mounted on or under the cowl, leaving the hood smooth of obstructions.(makes maxing easier too)
    I'm sure the biggest reason for the stateside Cougars not having Auto AC is Cost. Mercury probably wanted to keep the cost of the car low, so therefore did not include auto ac. Just my opinion!!
    Well yes MWS did state that this was the reasoning behind the Climate control.
    But really what would it cost us at the table
    an extra $200?
    Climate Control and tilt/telescopic wheel(one that REALLY tilts), would be class exclusives and might draw new customers by broadening Cougars appeal.Who knows,Ford Motor Co. might even gain back some customers they lost by dropping the T-bird and old style Cougar?
  • mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Seat comfort has been an issue. We have new seats coming to the program in June for the remainder of the 2000 model year and then into the next model year.

Other suggestions: Thanks. I'll talk to the program team.
  • dkurtz1dkurtz1 Member Posts: 3
    Dear mws0520

I am on the verge of ordering a new Cougar from the factory. How long would I have to wait in order to get the new seats you mentioned that are coming in June?
    Is there any drawback to waiting for them such as getting into the build-down, etc.?
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    I my have posted this before, but I'd like to see the cougar offered in a "mystic" type paint (similar to the '96 cobra mustang) Of course it would have to be a limited edition. Perhaps a limited run of "mystic Cougar S's"
    what are the odds of seeing a Cougar S pace car at Indy?? That would be a great way to get the car noticed. And you could then offer pacecar replicas to consumers. Just thinkin out loud.
    I better stop before i hurt myself.

Jimbo_G

P.S. I love the Zinc Yellow sun and fun package. If all goes well with my recovery from my shoulder suurgery i'll be back to work in time to place my order for one. If not then i'm gonna put my name down for an "S". I'm confident the "S" won't disappoint.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    dkurtz --

I've got the traction control and I think it's great. I've been using it quite a bit lately because of all the rain/standing water on the roads here.

The rear wiper isn't that big a deal to me, but it came with the package. I like having the spoiler because it lets you know where the back end of the car is! Makes parking a little easier.

I really like the fog lights. I don't know that they help night vision especially, but they sure are cool! And, hey, that's part of the reason to buy a kitty, isn't it?
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    As far as the differences between the Euro Cougar and the US Cougar, do you all know the Euro model costs about 10,000 MORE than the similar-equipped US model? Personally, I'm glad that the Cougar is priced where it is here. Otherwise, I'd still be driving my pickup.

MWS, just keep the designers doing what they're doing, but if possible, get them to add a little more oomph to the engine (only to keep up with those Acuras I keep tangling with). :^)

I've never had any trouble with the leather seats in my Cat. I love them, and for me, the lumbar hits just the right place. I'm 6'6", so that may be the difference (finally, a car that's built to fit bigger people!). The fog lights were a must, because with the headlights being high on the front of the car, they don't tend to light the road surface enough by themselves. If they were those super-white bulbs they're putting in Mercedes, then they might be sufficient, but until then the driving lights do their job -- well! Plus, they're not imposing to other drivers on the road, they're not bright yellow/blue, they don't blind people, and they're as functional as they are good looking.

I have to say that as far as the interior goes, I like the diversity in materials. I really like the fact that there are different colors/shades throughout, and I have the tan leather seats, just to offset that more. I'm never bored with the looks of this car. Since I don't have a garage, my Cat spends a majority of its time outside, sitting in the hot sun. I've never had a problem with the wheel getting too hot, or anything else for that matter. And maybe it's me, but even if I'm wearing shorts in the summertime the seats don't ever seem to burn me, and in the cold weather (I don't know about most of you, but) I wear pants, so the cold doesn't bother me.

As for the packages, sport/convenience, I have both, and don't think there is any way I would have or could have given up either. The reason is because from a performance standpoint, the lower profile tires tend to roll over less than those with larger sidewalls. As for the comments made about the same tires being on the WindStar -- it's a WindStar. I don't ever remember "performance" being in the same sentence as "MiniVan", no matter what "Sport" tags Chrysler is applying to their new models (Caravan R/T, anyone?). The Cougar is a driver's car, and it shows in every painstaking detail of the car. It embodies the future of automobiles, and I hope it never gets replaced with something that you have to plug into an outlet.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave, not that you have any choice :^)

Later all, and Happy Cougaring!
    dkurtz1:
    Do you really need the fog lights (actually they are driving lights, fog lights are amber in color), and the rear wiper? No, but they do add to the sportyness of the car and are good features to have. During the day I drive around with the parking lights and the driving lights on. Kind of a day time running light effect.

The 16" tires will hold the road better than the 15". The Cougar is built on an excellent platform that handles beautifully, but the 16" tires aid in handling. Also, if you go with the 15" wheels/tires, your computer will be set to top out at a lower speed than with the 16" tires. The top speed of the Cat with the sports package is 140mph (145mph with the superchip), and I believe the top speed without the package is between 115mph-120mph. I know this may not make a difference to you, but it does make a difference to some people.
    Regardless of the size of tire you choose, get rid of the Firestones! They are crap and will only impede your handling abilities.

All:
    Before MWS joined our group I sent an email to Dan Calhoun (another Brand Manager) about the Cougar and how I would like to see some of the Euro-Cats toys added to the US version. They replied that they would like to include such items, but adding these things will raise the price beyond other cars in its class. Yes the Euro-Cat comes with some great stuff, but it also costs around $38,000 (after UK to US conversion).
    Stageleft:
    Preach on Brother Lefty! Preach on!
    Thanks brother. I'd still like to see a convertible someday ... (hint, hint)
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    By all means, get the convience pkg. The rear defroster and wiper are a must in the snow belt if you want to see anything behind you during a snow session. The side mirrors are 0k, but for knowing where the rest of the traffic is,you need that rear view.

For handling and performance, put in the sport package. The spoiler is optional, and gets a $200+ credit if deleted. It's useless, and in my opinion, doesn't do anything for the rear of the car. But, that's only MY opinion (ducking flack from others).

Firestone tires. Depends on how aggressive a driver you are. For the maximum grip, the Goodrich Comp T/A's are best, but for average driving, wear out what came with the car, and then make a decision.

My $0.02

Skip G.
    200hp/195 pounds of torque basic Cougar V6...... (Hint,hint)
    I second that motion.
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    I third that motion. Too much power is just enough for me.
    My friend just phoned me to get some advice, she and her Cat were just in a accident. While she was sitting at a light someone hit her from behind. No one was hurt and there was no damage! What a car!

Kept her safe and didn't get crunched!
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Spoilers and Rims:
    I like my spoiler, love the 16 inch rims.

Tires:
    Will buy new tires soon, I am going to order the BF Goodrich VR4's in the factory size for only 62.00 a tire from Tire Rack.

Even though for appearance purposes I would prefer a tire with a more aggressive tread pattern you can't get a better V rated all season performance tire for the money.

Ordering a Cougar:
    Personally, If I had an order in for a Cougar right now I would go for the S model.

Seats:
    I have driven as far as 1000 miles in a day in my Cougar and have had no problems with the seats.

Climate Control/Telescoping Steering Wheel:
    I am short (5 ft 3.5 inches) so a wheel that telescopes would be nice, and climate control is neat.

One car I really wanted to get before I noticed the Cougar was a VR6 equipped Jetta. However the car was not as attractive as the Cougar, and did not offer the bang for the buck value.

I'll do without the nice to have features and keep the car at a reasonable price.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Glad your friend was OK.

What is with kitty's are they accident magnets?

My kitty has been in the body shop twice since December!

I also had a similar experience as your friend when I had had my kitty for less than a month.

Fortunately that required no body work.
    I don't think ordering an "S" is going to be that easy. With only 3000 being manufacturered in 2001, dealers are going to hold tight to the sticker prices.
    All:
    Have a great and safe weekend!

Talk with all of you on Monday!

-Rob

PS - Check out the web site, we added a few things during this past week.
  • panthapantha Member Posts: 6
    Some comments on the non-advertising of the Cougar.

It's probably not just me.
    My Citrus Gold Cat . . . the color of butterscotch syrup in the evening light :) . . . gets an astounding amount of attention. People roll down their windows, crane their necks, lower their glasses, to get a better look at the car I'm driving and I think it is brilliant that the New Edge design team created a uniquely designed car with original colors.

The Car Sells Itself.
    It is a Sculpture on Wheels.

Unlike the critics, I think the interior design and comfort matches or exceeds the exterior and the performance is wonderful even on the I-4 that I own. (No joke - 37 mpg on a recent road trip).

This car has changed my life. The exuberance of the car has infected me and I feel like a teenager again at the age of 39. I ADORE this car. I like to drive . . . anywhere . . . and take people with me. A good CD and an empty road is simply . . . Nirvana.

I am honored to be the owner of a Mercury Cougar.
    Mindy
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I continue to be astonished at the lack of advertising for the Cougar. I think it's a big factor behind the car's poor sales (that's why our cars attract attention: nobody knows what it is) and may lead to its demise.

It's good to have a popular car. Look at the Mustang: More accessories are made for it and the manufacturer can afford to put more engineering into updating it. We are being penalized because Ford, for some unknown reason, put out a car and didn't let anyone know about it.

We in this forum know that the Cougar is a great car; most people don't know it's a car at all because Ford stopped making them in 1996 (?) and never mentioned that they started again. I watch TV. I see ads for all kinds of rolling stock. There's thousands of Camry ads; there's Kia and Subaru and Oldsmobile ads. There's even Lincoln LS ads, so we know that L/M has at least heard of advertising and doesn't expect a good car to sell all by itself. But Cougar ads? Never seen one. What is L/M trying to do? Kill the thing off?
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Folks, I have to side with C&D on the uncomfortable seat issue. When I first got my car, the basic cloth seats were VERY comfortable. They really molded well to my lower back, even though they lacked a lumbar adjustment. I was downright impressed.

In fact, 3 days after getting my car, I threw out my back -- 2am on a Saturday night, and I was barely able to get out of bed. I had to crawl from my 18th Floor apartment (at the time) to the lowest level of the apartment parking deck (an elevator made it a LITTLE easier) to drive my Cougar to the hospital emergency room.

Strangely enough, I was fine once I sat down in my new Cougar's seats. No more back pain. I'd found the perfect sitting position. I drove to the hospital and actually sat in the car for about 15 minutes before getting out. I spent 2.5 hours getting checked on to see if I had slipped a disc. I loved the drive home later after morphine and muscle relaxers.

Now, the seats aren't nearly as comfortable. The padding at the base of the seat (vertical part) seems to have worn away or lost its feeling. I still have back problems, but I can't find a comfortable position in the seat from which I can operate the clutch comfortably.

If I sound biased with the back problems, keep in mind that I've only had one or two really bad episodes since I purchased my car. The seats really were more comfortable early on. Oh, well. My two cents worth.

Fish8 -- still interested in CougarFest 2000 from Atlanta?

Sincerely,
    burnsmr4
  • katlvrkatlvr Member Posts: 23
    I love the seats on my Kitty, they seem to mold to my body and I have the lumbar adjusted just perfectly but not everyone has the body for seats like these. It helps to work out.

As for the back seats I've never had any complaints but then again only Silver my beanie baby sits there.
  • pattepatte Member Posts: 35
    Pantha
    Dang. I read your post and now am torn between going out to drive my kitty or finding a place that sells butterscoth sundaes. You are a poet lady! Maybe Mercury should contract you to write their ad copy.

Seats
    I think the seats are extremely comfortable, front and back - and I'm a shortie at 5'4". (Did I mention that I love my car?)

MWS
    Can you share with all the CSGers what the target market was for the new cougar when it was "re-created"? About 8 zillion posts ago, someone surmised it was a younger group than the 30- or 40-something crowd it seems to have attracted. Does Mercury track who they are actually selling to? Could that be why they don't advertise - cuz they don't know why they've hit this lode of avid (and slightly manic) cougar lovers and therefore don't know what kind of ad would do it justice?
This discussion has been closed.