Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2018 Toyota Camry First Impression | Edmunds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2017 in Toyota
image2018 Toyota Camry First Impression | Edmunds

Edmunds gets a first look at the all-new 2018 Toyota Camry, with a striking new style and more focus on driving dynamics.

Read the full story here

Comments

• wiseoldfartwiseoldfart Member Posts: 40
    I just sat in a 2018 SE. I have long legs and noticed that I had an extra 1" or so for them verses my 2015 SE. This is what I was hoping for. Toyota engineers were smart enough to taper the top of the console and not make it too wide. That way, you can rest your right leg against it without the top of the console digging into your leg. I'll be testing the LE and SE next month. I may opt for the LE for it's comfortable ride and lighter steering if it handles as well as my SE or better.

I recently rented a Kia Optima for a week. Handling and ride are OK. Nice backup camera. However, the console is too wide, the front seat doesn't go back far enough, and the top of the console dug into my right leg. The 2.4 engine and 6AT are not as well-mated as that of my 2015 Camry. The reluctance to downshift easily makes modulating acceleration more difficult and makes the engine feel a bit weak. The engine lacks torque below 1500 RPM and the computer makes it want to stay even lower and buzz under moderate acceleration instead of calling for the proper gear. when you force it, it drops 2 gears and lurches a bit. Of course, the Optima and Sonata will feel rather cheap compared to the 2018 Camry.
  • tonyg2016tonyg2016 Member Posts: 728
    i'll be shopping 2018 camry LE versus 2018 sonata SEL. still about a $2000 premium for the camry but the redesign and all the safety features may make it the better deal for the long-term owner...

@Michaell
    @kyfdx

how about a 2018 toyota camry lease thread?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    tonyg2016 said:

i'll be shopping 2018 camry LE versus 2018 sonata SEL. still about a $2000 premium for the camry but the redesign and all the safety features may make it the better deal for the long-term owner...

@Michaell
    @kyfdx

how about a 2018 toyota camry lease thread?

Here you go:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/46639/toyota/camry/2018-toyota-camry-lease-questions/p1?new=1

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I looked at the 2018 Accord. I don't like its exterior, don't like its interior, don't like turbos, and don't like CVT's. Thank you, Honda. You made the choice between the 2018 Camry and 2018 Accord so much easier for me.
    tonyg2016 said:

If the Sonata drivetrain feels anything like that of the Kia Optima I rented for a week, you may decide to go with the smoother Camry drivetrain. The Optima 2.4 drivetrain was no match for my 2015 Camry 2.5 drivetrain. The Optima was too reluctant to downshift and that made the engine vibrate around 1300 RPM, sound cheap, and feel weak when I wanted just a little more acceleration. When I put my foot into it a little more, it seemed to downshift 2 gears and lurch forward a bit. Not so with the Camry 2.5. Power is always adequate and it downshifts smoothly.

• enrico17enrico17 Member Posts: 14
    I won't hesitate to replace my old Corolla for this one.
  • ggsamsonggsamson Member Posts: 7
    Sa
    enrico17 said:

I won't hesitate to replace my old Corolla for this one.

What year is your Corolla? My wife would love to have one for her daily drive. As for me, that Camry looks promising but my budget went to installing ready lift and warn winch on my Tacoma.
  • atlaswynatlaswyn Member Posts: 5
    This looks promising for a daily driver. Gives me a good impression to use for work.