Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Need Recomendation for Vehicle for long commutes

tbuongertbuonger Member Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in General
Would love everyone's advice:

Looking for a new vehicle. Just got a new job. New commute is 140-miles round trip (crazy right?), but money is good. Currently driving a 06 Honda Accord with 106K miles. Was looking to drive the accord into the ground, but with the threat of tariffs and the attractive financing out there, I was considering buying a car now.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a coupe or small SUV that is fun to drive (spending a lot of time in the car), but that is economical.

Should I buy a new car or a used car, considering the commutes is going to greatly accelerate the depreciation? I'm open to all insight!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    First.. I wouldn't buy a new car because of tariffs.
    Second.. I like your plan to drive the Accord into the ground. 106K miles on an '06? Just getting it broke in. ;)

At 700 miles a week, nothing will remain "new" for long..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you did say "fun" so I'd suggest the Mazda CX-3 if it's big enough, or if not, the CX-5. If you're going to get rid of a perfectly good '06 Accord, then one of the few justifications for that would be getting a more modern car with niceties like Car Play, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and probably better MPG. But I wouldn't trade the '06 unless you really got many of these new features in your new car. To buy a new "stripped down" model of anything seems more like a sideways move than a step up.

As for tariffs on imported cars, this isn't a reality, this is a twitter comment. I wouldn't base any significant financial decisions like this on rumors.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    edited July 2018
    You won't get great mpgs with a compact SUV, so if mpgs are a high priority how about a Civic? Must be all highway miles, so a hybrid wouldn't be worth it.
    But the smart $$ move is to drive the Accord. Maybe get a new set of shocks/struts and tires to improve the ride.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    texases said:

You won't get great mpgs with a compact SUV, so if mpgs are a high priority how about a Civic? Must be all highway miles, so a hybrid wouldn't be worth it.
    But the smart $$ move is to drive the Accord. Maybe get a new set of shocks/struts and tires to improve the ride.

I endorse that plan, and perhaps an upgrade to the stereo equipment to get the latest features.

Figure maybe $2000 or so in upgrades, and you've got a car that will last you another 2 or 3 years, at 35,000 miles per year.

Then, when the time is right, find another 2-3 year old Accord for 50% off MSRP and repeat the process. Buying a new car that will depreciate that rapidly due to the miles just doesn't make sense.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4