Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Looking for a car, what should I get?

bendowandsbendowands Member Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in General
Hey there, I'm looking to buy a car and need some help on what options I have.

Looking to spend less then 7k, 5k would be the perfect spot
I spend a ton of time driving so I want something pretty comfortable, leather, heated, sunroof, etc.
Gets decent mileage, 25 mpg highway at the lowest
Relatively cheap insurance
Maybe a little bit fast, not looking for 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, but want to have a fun drive occasionally
AWD is a must for me, winter can get kind of harsh where I live.
A fairly reliable engine, like I said I drive alot and put a lot of miles on my car.

I've been looking at something like a g35x, but wondering what other options I might have, unfortunately the AWD takes out a lot of options for me

Thanks
-Ben

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is asking a lot for $5K, especially since you plan to put a lot of miles on the car. Within your budget, you're going to be looking at cars with high miles on them to begin with.

In any event, it sounds like a good first step is to only consider Japanese and domestic cars.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Leather, heated seats, sunroof etc
    25 mpg
    Fast
    AWD
    Reliable
    $5k

Methinks you are looking for a unicorn. And if you should happen to find one, be sure to post back here, there are going to be ten thousand other people who want one.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Agreed. This is a nearly impossible ask. You might be able to get any 3 of the 5. 

I recently bought an old 2002 Saab Viggen that hits some of your points. But, the gas mileage is terrible and I have no illusions about it being reliable. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2018

Hey there, I'm looking to buy a car and need some help on what options I have.

Looking to spend less then 7k, 5k would be the perfect spot
    I spend a ton of time driving so I want something pretty comfortable, leather, heated, sunroof, etc.
    Gets decent mileage, 25 mpg highway at the lowest
    Relatively cheap insurance
    Maybe a little bit fast, not looking for 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, but want to have a fun drive occasionally
    AWD is a must for me, winter can get kind of harsh where I live.
    A fairly reliable engine, like I said I drive alot and put a lot of miles on my car.

I've been looking at something like a g35x, but wondering what other options I might have, unfortunately the AWD takes out a lot of options for me

Thanks
    -Ben

I think you need to set more realistic parameters. What's your monthly car payment budget? Would you consider leasing?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    The g35x hits them all except the mileage. I used to get 21mpg in mine. Still, at that price point, it will already have a ton o miles

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bendowandsbendowands Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2018
    I don't mind looking at import cars, first car I bought I looked specifically for a Toyota. I know I'm looking for a unicorn and the parameters are unrealistic, just wondering if anybody had happened to find something. I don't want to do payments if possible, would rather buy it outright.

The mileage is something I could go lower on, I get 17 right now so really anything is better.
  • bendowandsbendowands Member Posts: 4
    qbrozen said:

The g35x hits them all except the mileage. I used to get 21mpg in mine. Still, at that price point, it will already have a ton o miles

Is the 21mpg city or highway?
    Is the 21mpg city or highway?
    That was mixed driving. Probably 70% highway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Fast
    Reliable
    Cheap

Pick two...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Handing off my Accord to a relative... will be buying a car before September. I drive about 15k/year, mostly highway.

- Looking to buy new
    - 25k or less before taxes/fees.
    - Sedan, hatch, wagon - no SUVs/CUVs
    - Good fuel economy - the old Accord gets 28-30 mpg.
    - Can get out of its own way but obviously not looking for a speed demon for 25k.
    - I generally hold on to vehicles for a long time, before passing them off to extended family, so reliability/durability are important.
    - But: I never leased before but may consider it this time.

I always bought Toyotas/Hondas/Nissans (or rebadged versions of those), and had generally good experience with them. 2018 Sonata looks appealing, though, given the incentives.

Suggestions appreciated,
    edited July 2018
    asafonov said:

Handing off my Accord to a relative... will be buying a car before September. I drive about 15k/year, mostly highway.

- Looking to buy new
    - 25k or less before taxes/fees.
    - Sedan, hatch, wagon - no SUVs/CUVs
    - Good fuel economy - the old Accord gets 28-30 mpg.
    - Can get out of its own way but obviously not looking for a speed demon for 25k.
    - I generally hold on to vehicles for a long time, before passing them off to extended family, so reliability/durability are important.
    - But: I never leased before but may consider it this time.

I always bought Toyotas/Hondas/Nissans (or rebadged versions of those), and had generally good experience with them. 2018 Sonata looks appealing, though, given the incentives.

Suggestions appreciated,

A new Accord Sport—with a c. 3k discount from msrp—makes it into your budget.

For that price you could get a more loaded Civic.

The Sonata is a good car, but if you're used to Honda you'll find it's no Honda once you take a test drive and look at and feel the details.

If you're considering leasing, and are willing to go higher in your budget, see if you can find one of last of the 2018 Acura TLX base models. Because of large lease incentives from Acura a 2018 TLX 4-cylinder can usually be leased for less than an Accord. I just moved up from a 2016 Accord to a 2018 TLX—and it's a very nice upgrade for the same amount of $ imho.

But back within your 25k maybe consider VW's Passat, Golf, and Alltrack (Golf Wagon with AWD).
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I'd also consider the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@benjaminh, thank you for your quick response. Interesting idea about leasing a base TLX!

I will drive the new Accord, though I was not happy with the change Honda made in the latest generation - turbo engine and "fastback" styling. I much prefer the looks of the previous generation, and the fact that it has a NA engine. Civic, while probably a good driving, economical commuter car, is just too hideous for me (I know, lookism.)

Thoughts on the Mazda6 (base model)?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    asafonov said:

@benjaminh, thank you for your quick response. Interesting idea about leasing a base TLX!

I will drive the new Accord, though I was not happy with the change Honda made in the latest generation - turbo engine and "fastback" styling. I much prefer the looks of the previous generation, and the fact that it has a NA engine. Civic, while probably a good driving, economical commuter car, is just too hideous for me (I know, lookism.)

I always throw in the VW GTI for good measure, many dealerships claim to discount them $5K so a decent model for $25K should be possible before TTL.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    asafonov said:

I test drove a Mazda 6 Touring with a manual transmission a year ago, and really liked it. I'll admit to a bit of "engine-ism" as I currently drive a small turbo sedan (VW Jetta) and find any NA engine to be a bit lacking at the altitude I live at (6000', give or take).

But, the 6 is a great looking car with a wonderful interior and good handling dynamics.

Another thought, which I've been looking into lately, is a CPO TLX. There are lots of lots of 2015 and 2016 model years available for under $25K. Base, tech, 4-cyl, V6, even some with AWD, depending on how far you want to stretch your budget.

I prefer the TLX over the new Accord, as well - I drove a 1.5T Sport and, while I loved the engine and transmission, the Sport trim didn't have some features I really want.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2018

I'd also consider the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6.

Thank you, Mazda 6 is an appealing choice on the surface - need to test drive it.
    asafonov said:

The base Acura 2018 TLX has a lease incentive right now of $5500. Compare that to 0 lease incentive on a lower-level 2018 Accord EX, and suddenly the TLX becomes affordable.

I was sort-of warming up to the looks of the new Accord, but honestly I just like the looks of the TLX better. Here mine lol:

Probably not much choice of colors. when looking for the last of the 2018 TLX 4-cylinders. I might not have picked silver, for instance, but it turns out I like it. The TLX is also a lot of fun to drive, and has a lot of luxury touches and features.

All Mazdas are fun to drive! But for some reason Mazda right now lacks a key feature that's really useful for a car—AndroidAuto/CarPlay. This basically let's you plug your phone into the car and use it for integrated navigation. Great feature. Again, Mazda doesn't have this at this point. Toyotas also lack this feature for some reason.

All VWs now have an excellent 6 years 72k mile warranty, which is the longest in the biz. VW's are also fun to drive.
    edited July 2018
    Michaell said:

asafonov said:

I test drove a Mazda 6 Touring with a manual transmission a year ago, and really liked it. I'll admit to a bit of "engine-ism" as I currently drive a small turbo sedan (VW Jetta) and find any NA engine to be a bit lacking at the altitude I live at (6000', give or take).

But, the 6 is a great looking car with a wonderful interior and good handling dynamics.

Another thought, which I've been looking into lately, is a CPO TLX. There are lots of lots of 2015 and 2016 model years available for under $25K. Base, tech, 4-cyl, V6, even some with AWD, depending on how far you want to stretch your budget.

I prefer the TLX over the new Accord, as well - I drove a 1.5T Sport and, while I loved the engine and transmission, the Sport trim didn't have some features I really want.
    Thank you, @Michaell. Mazda6 (base model automatic - I have no use for sunroof, leatherette seats and large wheels) is on my list. Glad you liked the drivetrain in the new Accord. I will check out LX and EX trims.

I am not ready yet to go used/CPO this time (thought I bought several used cars in the past), and I understand I will be giving up many niceties in order to stay under my budget limit.

Another candidate is the new 2019 Insight.
    benjaminh said:

asafonov said:

The base Acura 2018 TLX has a lease incentive right now of $5500. Compare that to 0 lease incentive on a lower-level 2018 Accord EX, and suddenly the TLX becomes affordable.

I was sort-of warming up to the looks of the new Accord, but honestly I just like the looks of the TLX better. Here mine lol:

Probably not much choice of colors. when looking for the last of the 2018 TLX 4-cylinders. I might not have picked silver, for instance, but it turns out I like it. The TLX is also a lot of fun to drive, and has a lot of luxury touches and features.

All Mazdas are fun to drive! But for some reason Mazda right now lacks a key feature that's really useful for a car—AndroidAuto/CarPlay. This basically let's you plug your phone into the car and use it for integrated navigation. Great feature. Again, Mazda doesn't have this at this point. Toyotas also lack this feature for some reason.

All VWs now have an excellent 6 years 72k mile warranty, which is the longest in the biz. VW's are also fun to drive.
    That's a sharp looking car you have here :)

Unfortunately, I do not see any lease incentives on the 2018 TLX in my area (Minneapolis) - checked both Edmunds and Acura.com.
    edited July 2018
    asafonov said:

....Unfortunately, I do not see any lease incentives on the 2018 TLX in my area (Minneapolis) - checked both Edmunds and Acura.com.

As far as I know it's a nationwide incentive. Check out this thread:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/45663/acura/tlx/2018-acura-tlx-lease-deals-and-prices#latest

And your local Acura dealer seems to have some 2018 TLXs left over.

https://www.buerkleacura.com/

With a lease you have an option to buy at the end if you want. I might do that because I like my TLX a lot.

Here's the official Acura lease offer for a 2019 TLX base. You should be able to do substantially better on a leftover 2018 TLX base:

https://www.acura.com/

"FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE
    Expires 09/04/18
    2019 TLX 8 Speed Dual-Clutch Featured Special Lease
    $329Per month for 36 months.
    $2,499 Total due at signing.
    Closed-end lease for 2019 TLX 8 Speed Dual-Clutch vehicles (UB1F3KJW) available from July 6, 2018 through September 4, 2018, available to well-qualified lessees approved by Acura Financial Services. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. Lease offers vary based on MSRP. MSRP $33,995.00 (includes destination, excludes tax, license, title fee, registration, documentation fee, options, insurance and the like). Actual net capitalized cost $28,633.05. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Total monthly payments $11,844.00. Option to purchase at lease end $18,697.25."
    PS@asafonov : You can read some of my thoughts on the TLX on this thread starting here:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/2864/general/x/entry-level-luxury-performance-sedans/p695
    edited July 2018
    asafonov said:

....Another candidate is the new 2019 Insight.

I think the Honda Insight Hybrid might be a great choice. Although if you have issues with the styling of the Civic and Accord, my guess is that the same would hold true for the Insight. I think the Insight looks ok, and because of the great mpg you'd likely save c. $600 + a year in gas over other vehicles you're considering.