Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
to discuss Subaru future models such as the 2001,
2002, etc. Share your "spy pics" and anything
you've heard here!

Bonnie Rick
Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Welcome Subaru fans!

I'll get this started with some spy shots of the Impreza due this fall here in the US:

http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~simon/2.5RS/edit/spy.html

The 2001 Forester is already out, so check out SoA's page for more info:

http://www.subaru.com/forester/index.html

Finally, I can't wait to read about (and later drive) the new Boxer 6 engine in the upcoming LL Bean Outback. The New York show is this month, so keep your eyes peeled for that URL.

Anyone have the URLs for the ST-X and Exiga concepts handy?

-juice
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Also see new-impreza.

Though not for US consumption, see the
    Impreza WRX S201 STi version. Listen to the beautiful sounds of the 300ps (221 kW) @ 6500rpm, 2.0l EJ20 motor. If you've got two speakers, you'll love the Doppler effect.

Mike

..Mike

• Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Here's the STX:

http://www.subaru.com/calcon/index.html

Pretty neat.

-Colin
  • Options
    Great links, guys.

Autoweek just restated the usual stuff in next Monday's New Car Issue.

We'll get "220" hp in the new boxer 6, plus the new Impreza with the turbo (no date specified). They also said the ST-X is a maybe for MY2002.

-juice
  • Options
    brownstone1brownstone1 Member Posts: 9
    I work in the pipeline industry (read lots of 4wheel driving and impromptu vehicle testing) and there are a few changes I would like to see. First 17 inch wheels on a pick-up are useless, second with the sunroof and foldable back seats how well will this thing seal up for winter use.(I don't think I want the back door open at -40 C or F. Most important, can I fit my honda 4-wheeler in the back. I think if they put some 15 inch rims, and a bit longer box option and have it lifted up a bit this thing might really give the Tacoma,Dakota, Sonoma and Ranger a run for they're money. A little warn winch behind the bumper would really complete the package.

I think this is a great idea I just hope that they don't just market it to the active gen-Xers a-la Xterra.

Just my opinion

Stephen
  • Options
    They may be targeting a lighter duty user than you, though. The 4-wheeler may be a bit much for the payload it would offer.

The 8.5" of clearance is a pretty good start for a stock vehicle, though I'm sure there will be mods for another 4" or so, plus tires.

-juice
  • Options
    aling1aling1 Member Posts: 225

If it is, it looks great! I believe that this may be a computer enhanced picture though.

Drew
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    The front sure reminds me of the suzuki X90!
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob -- The new LL Bean OB with the H-6 is supposed to be unveiled at this show. Could it be the same thing?

Drew -- The Japanese text is cut off on the bottom, but it looks like it says "New Impreza at the end of August".
  • Options
    Yes, indeed. It does seem to indicate August. But, I wonder if it is only for Japan. BTW, this is supposed to be the new WRX, so we'll definitely not see this particular model in North America.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I got an e-mail from SOA yesterday confirming this.

Bob
  • Options
    lurker4lurker4 Member Posts: 19
    Bob- Did SoA mention that in addition to the LLB, they will offer another OB Limited with the H6, called the "VDC/VTD" or similar? This model is supposed to have the yaw sensing stability system *and* torsen-type differentials for an amazing combination of skid prevention and traction control. (Vehicle Dynamic Control/Variable Torque Distribution).

I think with the new IIHS crash test rating, this super-sticky OB would be the overall safest car you can buy in the U.S. for less than $35K. (Plus it'll last 10+ years and probably be a hoot to drive, too.)
  • Options
    Keep your eyes peeled on Thursday. Edmunds should have coverage, as will others. Get those URLs!

Impreza in August? Bummer, I had heard June, so we may only get it in the fall.

I saw the Forester S w/Premium package for the first time in person, and as everyone says, the moonroof is HUUUUGE! you have no idea until you see it. It's twice as big as mine, and serves front and rear passengers.

Overall it looks considerably better than my original '98 L model, I have to admit. Anyone else think the optional grille looks like it belongs on an Infiniti?

-juice
  • Options
    I personally like the new optional grille. You can see a photo in the latest edition of Drive Magazine. That, in comination with the front brush gaurd, make the Forester look pretty slick. The grille actually reminds me more of what you see on Lincoln Navigators.
  • Options
    I had originally heard, several months ago when I first found out about the LL Bean model, that the "Yaw control" would be part of the LL Bean package.

I have not heard anything about another B-6. That would be a nice surprise though!

Juice- I don't think well see the new Impreza (here in the USA) until next winter. I'm guessing February, and as a 2002 model.

Bob
  • Options
    I agree: Infiniti and/or Navigator. My first reaction, when I saw it in the brochure was negative. Maybe when I see one in person I'll change my mind?

Speaking of looks: the Forester S/Premium in black is the hot ticket, as far as I'm concerned.

Bob
  • Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

Maybe I am behind the times, but I just received this month's Design News magazine and on page 30, is a picture of Chevy's (to be introduced in 2001, according to the article) 'Convert-a-Truck' which looks like the same concept as the Subaru STX!!! It is called the Avalanche. Anyone heard of this? Who copied who?? It looks like the Chevy is bigger - it claims to have a bed extendable from 5'3" to 8 feet, capable of carrying a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/dn/archives/current/new.html

unfortunately, no picture in this link.

The chevy link with neat stuff is:

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/index_flash.htm

Personally I like Subaru's style better.

-Howard
  • Options
    Interesting. I wonder, however, if the STX is built on a car platform (like all other Subarus) or if it uses a ladder frame like you standard pickups.

Anyone know?
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    I believe that it's built off the wagon platform and stretched a bit. Check out the Subaru website for more info. They have a nice write up on the STX. www.Subaru.com.

Stephen
  • Options
    sunlinersunliner Member Posts: 36
    ...SIA being Subaru-Isuzu Automotive in Lafayette, Indiana...the sole North American supplier of the Legacy, including the Outback -- and my employer.

Anyway, we just got the announcement this morning from our CEO and VP's,

The flat-6 is officially scheduled for production for the MY 2001 Outback Limited...which they say will include the stability control. Production will start this August.

Also, the LL Bean Outback is a definite go...it's to be the official car of LL Bean, the first corporate sponsorship for Subaru, and the first endorsement like this for LL Bean. They're really psyched about it here.

The ST-X is a stretched Legacy, BTW. Rumors are that if it's produced, it may be here as well. That'd make sense, since we do build the Legacy it's based on. But that's only a rumor.
  • Options
    aakersonaakerson Member Posts: 71
    Jut wanted to say thanks to all for the great updated info -- far better than simply watching Auto Week, or the auto buff books. It keeps me ahead of my dealer as well.
  • Options
    Wow, flat-6 and stability control? That's excellent!! Now all I ask for is HID Xenon headlamps and 4 wheel traction control :-) I wonder if the vehicles with the new boxer-6 engine will have a tiptronic auto-manual tranny to exploit its higher performance capabilities. It seems only logical to me. These improvements will also no doubt make the Legacy/Outback better competitors to the VW Passat.

I also wonder what extras the L.L Bean Outback will get over the standard Legacy. My guesses are special interior trim and probably some badging. It probably may also include some L.L Bean apparrel for the customer. The funny thing is that the L.L Bean model will be available for the Canadian market, and yet, I don't believe that we have any L.L. Bean stores here at all!

Drew
  • Options
    I'll watch the announcement closer when it comes on again in about an hour. I think it gives a detail or two about it.

Dunno about the automanual. The Limited is available with a 5-spd manual right now, so hopefully they'll continue that with the six. That'd be better than an automanual anyway, IMHO.
  • Options
    The Outback Limited with the flat-6 will be offered with "Vehicle Dynamic Control." I guess that's our name for that system.

The only thing they said the LL Bean model will have is a special appearance package. There might be more they're just not telling us, but I dunno.
  • Options
    From your post, it sounds like there will be two 6-cylinder Outbacks: a B-6 Outback Limited and a B-6 LL Bean Outback Special Edition. Am I correct?

Bob
  • Options
    texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    Well, I agree that the soft-top seems potentially drafty and not especially secure, but I'd hope that the "mid-gates" that Subaru, Chevy and others are suddenly promoting could *probably* be made to seal reasonably tight. And I guess it's more realistic to compare the STX to an old El Camino or Ranchero (or maybe a larger Brat without the jumpseats?) than to a full-sized pickup. Never drove an El Camino, so I don't know how practical they really were, but in my high school days (the late '70s), they were widely reputed as being quite swift since they were lighter than comparable-size cars, more aerodynamic than pickups and tended to have large engines.
  • Options
    the competition heats up...

Check out Edmund's review of the NY Auto Show. The new Toyota Highland — which looks like a Forester on steriods - will be a tough match for the Forester - as will the new RAV4. The Highlander is reportedly to be priced very close to the Forester. I also like the production version of the Acura MDX. GM has also introduced a new Bravada and several upgraded GMCs.

This morning the LL Bean B-6 Outback will be announced! It looks like a good year coming up!

Bob
  • Options
    The LL Bean H6 (Bob? B-6? H6 = horizontally opposed) and VDC are two seperate models. The info is now available on www.subaru.com, look in the NEWS section.

They have a PDF that shows everything except fuel economy and MSRP.

It is a 3.0L H6 making 212HP@6000rpm and 210lb-ft@4400rpm. Unfortunately both the LLB and VDC models are real porkers... 3700lbs (versus 3500 for a regular Outback Limited Wagon). With that kind of weight to haul around, I think the performance gain over a much lighter '99 OBW with the 2.5L will be blunted.

-Colin
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    How is market share doing? This year people have been reaping the bennies of wall street's bull markets. Everyone is buying tons of stuff. Also their market share can only go up. Looking at your list, I'd get the audi anyday over the VDC, no offense... and I'm a subaru fan, now try to win over people in the suburbs who are fighting to have the best image and there is no way you'll sell the VDC or the LL Bean.

Maybe it's just my microcosm of society where people will buy a crappy lexus over an excellent ford, or an acura over an outstanding subaru...

-mike
  • Options
    Colin,

FYI, I think Bob meant Boxer-6 by B-6.
  • Options
    2001 Outback and PDF (Portable Document Format). If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to read PDF files, download it here. Comments:

Outback H6-3.0 models run on regular fuel, but 91 octane is recommended for maximum performance. Interesting.

variable intake manifold If I'm not mistaken, the 2.5l SOHC Phase II doesn't have a varilabe intake manifold. Nice improvement.

A mechanical valve in the rear muffler varies muffler volume to help enhance engine power in different speed ranges. Wow, never heard of such an animal! Increase back-pressure at low RPM with a simple valve -- simple, elegant solution.

Ok, now for my obligatory comments on the ergonomics:

8-way power driver's seats over the GT, OB, and OB Ltd 6-way.

both front seatbacks have convenient seatback pockets Graham, we're gaining on you Australians ;) Still no dual-range :(

And finally, the style of the new alloy wheels: I still prefer the GT's.

I notice the splash guards/mud flaps mold around the ground effects (below the rocker panel if that term is still correct) between the wheels. These weren't available on the GT when we ordered it; hopefully the 2001 OB ones will fit.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Variable intake manifold-- Subaru's last six cylinder, the 3.3L used in the SVX, had the same thing.

Variable exhaust valve-- Nissan Maxima has that.

I'm still miffed about the curb weight. That engine will be good in the STX if they produce it AND it's a few hundred pounds lighter.

-Colin
  • Options
    Wow! The new Outback VDC exceeded my expectations! I knew about the LL Bean model, but I didn't think they would launch a model with VDC here in the US so soon!

I am drooling over the specs! Does anyone know what MSRP is going to be?
  • Options
    A huge picture of the L.L Bean Outback can be seen here...Looks like it comes with a split leather/wood steering wheel.

http://www.autoshowny.com/press/prod_large/new2000subar_outback.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction Colin! And nice photo Drew! ..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    You're welcome, Mike. Are you going to be getting rid of your Honda for one of these B6 wagons now? ;-)

Well, I just went through all of the info. and all I can say that it's about time! :-) At least now Subaru wagons can be taken more seriously with that huge power boost. It's just like how the '01 Nissan Pathfinders are getting a lot of hoopla over the new 240hp 3.5L V6 Maxima derived engine.

I'm very impressed by the additional features of the 3.0 B6 but I'm curious as to why there's so much extra weight. Obviously part of it can be attributed to the larger engine block, but the rest of the features don't really weigh that much. I wonder if it is possible that the B6 Outbacks have additional sound dampening that contributed to the weight gain as well. It certainly is possible. The B6 engine also seems to be tuned more for greater torque at lower rpms versus high horse power. In any case, it is still competitive with the VW Passat's V6 or the Audi A4/A6's V6 engines. I'd like to see some performance numbers though.

I seem to recall that the McIntosh radio has been offered in Japanese Legacy/Lancaster models for a couple of years already. At least it's finally making its way over here now.

Finally, here's another reminder for everyone as to what stability control systems can do for you. Click here for the video clip. Microsoft Windows Media Player is needed to view this clip.

Drew
  • Options
    Okay, I just went back to the '01 brochure and just read that the VDC model will have 4 wheel electronic traction control in addition to the stability control system. Now all I can say is "WOW!!"...I'd take the VDC model over the L.L Bean any day just because of this distinction.

Actually, I'm not surprised about the 4ETS because most vehicles with stability control system have traction control. The traction control is just another component of stability management system. But, for it to be offered on a Subaru? Pretty impressive. I just hope that the MSRP of the vehicle is not equally as impressive (read high). My ML320 and E320 4-matic have similar systems and they're really effective, especially in the snow and on ice.
  • Options
    with this 4 wheel traction control system, this means that the Outback VDC will be able to pull itself out even if only one wheel has traction! Boy, I can't believe that I'm getting so riled up over a vehicle that I don't even own . Sorry about the outburst ;-)
  • Options
    Hey, Soob finally put a shroud on its engine!! Those of you who read C&D's 2000 Car Guide may have noticed Soob received the dubious distinction in the "shroud" sidebar column (rating various manufacturer's engine appearance treatments) of having the engine that could most use a shroud but didn't have one.

I want a VDC. Yes, the curb weight is hefty, and I expect some increased frictional power losses (by the way, does anyone understand the difference between the "Active AWD" (what is already on OB's and the LLB) and the "VTD" if both use an electronically controlled hydraulic transfer clutch? Is it just that VTD omits the LSD because it has selective-brake TCS? I thought the VTD involved torsen-type diffs all around, which would maybe account for some of the weight increase.)

Has anyone run the power-to weight ratio numbers against Audi, VW, Volvo wagons/sedans? Also, I predict a $32,500 sticker for the VDC. Getting all the goodies for nothing would be too good to be true.
  • Options
    "All-Wheel Drive First, Then Traction Control
    It’s important to point out that the Subaru system relies first on VTD to provide corrective action for enhanced vehicle stability. The system invokes traction control only if the All-Wheel Drive does not restore traction and stability quickly enough.

In contrast, some all-wheel drive vehicles that also use traction control essentially use their all-wheel drive as a "backup." They first use traction control (typically braking the slipping wheel or wheels) before transferring power to the wheels with traction. Subaru has found that this method can actually impede traction and stability in some cases since it impedes momentum."

Hehe, I'm afraid that the "some AWD vehicles that also use traction control" includes the MB 4-matic system to a certain extent. But, it's not really as bad as it sounds. You don't notice anything at all usually. It's just that you don't get stuck as easily.

The 4-matic system does activate once there is a 3mph difference (in high range; 1.2mph in low range) between wheel speed. The differential is then tricked into thinking that there's resistance on the spinning wheel, hence most power is restored to the wheel with traction (i.e. non-spinning/slipping wheel).

My guess is that the 4-matic system it is set up this way because of its off-road use as well as snow/ice use (though not in the cars/wagons, obviously). Subarus obviously are not designed for too much off-roading, hence the system is biased towards on-road performance. I'd like more technical data on the Subie though, just for curiousity's sake.

"The new VTD automatic transmission uses an electronically controlled hydraulic transfer clutch that works with a planetary gear-type center differential to control power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Under most conditions the VTD system splits the power 45 percent front and 55 percent rear. The slight rear-wheel bias enhances the performance driving feel, and the VTD system can vary the power split as needed to respond to road conditions.

Like Active All-Wheel Drive, VTD adjusts the front/rear power split, always helping to ensure that the wheels with the best traction receive the most power."

It's interesting that the power is now split 45%/55% as well. Subaru claims that a slight rear-bias adds to a more performance driving feeling (i.e. like a RWD car). This could be true to a certain extent. The 4-matic system in my car is also setup for rear-bias (38%/62%), for a more traditional MB RWD car feel.
  • Options
    With the Momo steerting wheel and McIntosh stereo on top of the VDC, I would guess the 2001 OB VDC would go for at least the price of a Passat 4 Motion wagon -- $31K. Is this the most expensive model SOA has introduced?
  • Options
    Subaru placed its competitors' performance data in its press release as well. Have a look at it here.

No, there are no Torsen-type diffs at all. This would not only increase complexity and weight, but also cost. Torsen diffs are very effective (better than traction control), but only Audi (and now VW) uses it as a wide spread application in their Quattro/4-motion system. The whole point of going to 4 wheel traction control is to reduce weight, complexity, price, and frictional losses while giving up only some performance (vs. the Torsen-diffs, I mean). The VDC Outback will have three open differentials (no extra weight from the rear LSD). Rather than explain it all here again, I'm going to refer you to a message (below) that I posted in the M-class topic, regarding 4 wheel traction control systems.

"The Lexus fails the roller test (representing ice on the road) because when the front wheels slip on ice the unmanaged center differential allows all torque to get lost at the front wheels (path of least resistance) rather than making any torque available to the rear wheels. Your observation was correct: The ML has spinning rear wheels first before they start gripping. Reason is that the 4ETS system will need a speed difference of 3 mph between slipping and non slipping wheels first before it starts its traction management. Itis good to know that the speed difference in low range is only 1.2 mph before 4ETS steps in. So, if you have something difficult to drive use low range and take it easy on the gas.

All this is a good demonstration why the ML is the
    best SUV since the invention of 4WD. No other 4WD offers you so much sophistication and safety for the money."

"Explanations about differentials and traction management systems sometimes include the term "transfer of torque". Torque is only present when there is resistance. Grab a broom stick with one hand and twist it. You are using power and the stick is turning. No torque present. Now grab wthe stick also with your other hand and stop the movement (resistance). Now there is torque present.

Translating this to vehicles: There is only torque when there is traction (resistance). As long as two wheels on one axle have about the same traction they both receive about the same amount of torque. Torque then creates forward movement. If one of the wheels encounters low traction (ice etc), there is less resistance than the torque available to that wheel, resulting in a spinning wheel. No more torque present at this moment. Since power always follows the path of least resistance, the differential will not make any power available to wheel with good traction.

There are a couple of ways out of this predicament.
    1. Disabling the differential. This can be done
    manually or automatically - called "differential
    lock".
    2. Hindering the differential to do it's work.
    Done with friction plates or gears - called
    "limited slip"
    3. Fooling the differential. Done by creating
    artificial traction (resistance) with automatic
    brake action like 4ETS.

When 4ETS steps in to slow down a speeding wheel,
    torque is not "transfered" to the wheel with
    traction. Torque is created by artificial
    traction (resistance) through brake action on one
    wheel and good old true traction on the other
    wheel. The differential is fooled this way to
    "think" both wheels have traction again and then
    it continues to deliver 50% of the power to each
    wheel."

I hope that this explains your questions.
    Drew
  • Options
    Oops, that should be, "I hope this answers your questions".
  • Options
    Haha Drew, believe me the thought has crossed my mind. I still like the fuel efficiency of the ol' econo-box Civic, though it doesn't exactly handle like GT w/it's sport suspension and AWD. I think it'll take the H-6 in a GT for me to upgrade. And I love watching that Autoweek video -- what an awesome technology.

Regarding the price, note this in the press release:

Subaru Enters The "Entry Luxury" Segment

.. qualifies the new Outback H6-3.0 models for membership in the "entry luxury" segment, where competitors include the Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8, Volkswagen Passat 4Motion wagon, and Volvo V70 XC Cross Country.

I guess this mean the price will be in the low end of those competitors. The "Entry Luxury" Segment -- I just love that marketspeak! What a great way to convince hoi polloi that to keep up w/the Jonses, yet at the same time maintain individualuality, it's time to shell out more bucks! Brilliant marketing by SoA. Not saying I want to pay more than I have to but from a business perspective it's a stupendous marketing maneuver.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Click on the link below to view a Macromedia Flash demo. on how 4 wheel traction control works: http://www.mbusi.com/m-class_perform_ets2.htm

How does this apply to real life you ask? Well go to this page and view the 18% roller test. Or, for even more spectacular off-road footage with the 4ETS in action, go to this page and click on "Torsion Test". You'll be able to see the right rear wheel spin and the 4ETS kick in.
  • Options
    Obviously the B6 engine will make its way throughout the Subaru lineup. My guess is that they haven't offered it on the GTs because the manual tranny may still be in development. After all, Subarus with stick shifts do have completely different AWD systems than their auto counterparts. Unfortunately, AWD wagons do gulp down fuel at a faster rate because of their heavier curb weight and some driveline power loss.

It's funny because I would've never thought of the Subaru brand name as being associated with luxury just a few years ago (well okay, maybe the SVX - Snow Vehicle Xtrodinare ). But, with all of this advanced technology, VDC, 4ETS, AWD, leather, etc. that is usually found on more expensive makes, I would expect nothing less than it being in the entry level luxury market now. Of course, the B6 wagons will probably have a price tag to match. I just hope that its not too high.

Hey, how about a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius for fuel efficiency? :-)
    Drew
  • Options
    So I guess the "VTD" technology is just the standard hydraulic-transfer-clutch automatic with open diffs like you'd get with a base OB, with the addition of the 4ETS system, providing a functionality similar to a having a LSD on both front and rear (but through different means). (And the basic Active AWD also uses some wheel-speed differential sensing between front and rear to decide when to change the power split, right?)
  • Options
    With the new all wheel/all speed traction control system, the Outback should be able to tackle the largest potholes that you can find :-), similar to this: http://www.mbusi.com/offroad/potholes1.ram
  • Options
    Yes, I think that that's the gist of it, but I'm still not entirely sure if it is exactly the same system as in the regular auto tranny Subarus because the torque split on the B6 wagons is now 45%/55% vs. the 90%/10% of the B4 wagons. I'll need more technical data, which will hopefully be available in the near future, to make that distinction.

No, it's not like having limited slip differentials on both axles. It's like having locking differentials on both axles. Because limited slip differentials use friction plates and such to impede the differentials effectiveness (i.e. it doesn't transfer power as readily to the path with the least resistance), they are not as effective as locking differentials.
  • Options
    Revenue is the obvious reason for these two high-end Outback wagons being the only vehicle so far to have the new six cylinder. Later regular outbacks and legacies are sure to get it.

Manual transmissions and their corresponding AWD are simpler than the 4EAT. Again I think that's marketing, since a WRX 5spd handles much more torque than the new H6 produces... and surely the bellhousing on the engine is compatible with the existing transmissions.

-Colin
This discussion has been closed.