Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Seems the short answer is:
    We recommend that the same tires are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. If however due to availability or economical considerations mixing is necessary, than it is permissible to mix brands and tread patterns as long as the same tread patterns and brands are fitted across the same axle.

The C250 had Continentals. The Michelins ride a bit harder, but are much better for handling and for traction in wet weather.
    But, for 1000 or 2000 miles, is it worth mixing if you have to buy the rears soon anyway? Sometimes you get a better price on 4 anyway. I'd bite the bullet and go for it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I guess you have to be a real fan to buy a used Tesla. https://youtu.be/H8ro6kpKlw0
    Well, from all that, i have learned I can buy a used tesla via their website. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• DrivingfoolDrivingfool Member Posts: 227
    I put the DriveGuard RF tires on my Golf and so far at 28K miles, they are wearing perfectly though I do have them rotated on a regular basis. A bit pricey but my friend at the tire store recommended them highly and also uses them on his wife's vehicle. Not sure I'd buy them again if I keep the Golf once they need replacement. Since I'm at 49K, am still tossing around the idea of getting something newer but what is still the question. And I will buy as leasing just won't work for me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    edited January 2019
    I can't rotate the tires on the 2er or X1 as the tires are staggered..

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    berri said:

It has been many years since I've had a decent set of tires OEM on a new car. Brand doesn't seem to matter, so I wonder if the tire manufacturer's cheapen them to meet low bid or car manufacturer requests?

In the old days the rumor was that OEM tires were only designed to last the warranty person which back then was around 12,000 miles.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited January 2019
    qbrozen said:

I guess you have to be a real fan to buy a used Tesla.

https://youtu.be/H8ro6kpKlw0

Well, from all that, i have learned I can buy a used tesla via their website. 

You can buy it but can you get it?

One question I had was how could they sell him the car if they didn’t have the title?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@driver100 ...congrats on the new addition to the family.

Looks like jury duty for me starts next week.

And, getting all of my receipts in order today for the inevitable arrival of my W2....UGH!

Nice and sunny....May go searching for a G70 to test drive later today. Not very hopeful I’ll find one, though.

Thanks for the congrats for Trixie GG.
    Sorry to hear about jury duty......I know it is part of the privilege of living in a great democratic country, but, what a pain.
    Talking about a G70....I saw a 2018 Kia Credenza in front of me today and I was really impressed with the looks, beautiful for a moderately priced car.
    First, I checked the interior and it is beautiful:

The rear view looks smart, neat with squarish exhaust tips:

Front, takes the Buick grill to new heights:

Most reviews give it 4 to 4.5 out of 5. This from U.S. News sums it up:

If you're looking for a large car, you should consider the Kia Cadenza. With its above-average predicted reliability, reasonable price, lengthy features list, and high-end interior, the Cadenza is a great value for the money. However, you’ll still want to check out other worthy competitors like the Buick LaCrosse and Toyota Avalon.

There was a Camaro driving along next to me yesterday. I looked over to see it and what I noticed first was the side front windows are so small, all I could see was the guys head, from the bottom of his nose up.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    And we know what you think of small windows, driver ;).
    carnaught said:

If he’d like to drive one I know a local Enterprise office that has a nice convertible they’d be dying to rent.

Might be fun in the snow. :s

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    Went to the UConn UCF college basketball game today.
    UCF has a player who is 7'6", has an 8 foot wingspan, and has size 22 feet!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Thanks bwia, I like the "Remember dogs are people too."........how true.

Carnaught, how nice of you to save the dogs you have made a home for.
    I have learned there are some really good people in this world, who save dogs and puppies. Many volunteer at shelters and many foster dogs and cats in their home. Sometimes we forget how caring and kind people can be.

I thought it would be a longer time before we got another dog.......but, life isn't the same without one around.

Nice looking pup driver. What type of personality does Trixie have?
    Thanks houdini. Trixie is just under 3 months of age. We slept about 20% of the night the first night. She was in a babies playpen until the crate arrives from amazon. The second night I used a small doggy bed, and put her on the floor in our bedroom. We slept about 80% on the 2nd night. I was up at 2 a.m. so I took her out.
    So far, she loves her toys, she follows us everywhere, she can go for a long walk on a leash.....loves walking and wants to keep up. Doesn't seem to bark too much, though Shiatsu's and Yorkies are barkers. I am hoping our laid back and encouraging manner make her calm. She played with a neighbors dog in our home this morning and she was fine.....seems to want to socialize. She watches everything.....really likes to watch me tie my shoe laces, and then wants to chew on them. She seems to watch a bit of TV and looks if there is a dog barking or door closing....Gigi ignored the TV.
    She is very lovable.......really cute to watch. I like when she runs in the grass, she bobs up and down like a rabbit.
    We are on our 2nd Cairn Terrier. All terriers seem be barkers, but we have trained ours to stop barking on command. It's hard, but can be done. We have always let our dogs sleep in our bedroom. First in a crate when they are young, then they graduate to a dog bed. She takes herself to bed when she's ready and often sleeps in after we wake up!

As an aside, we have never left our 4 yo dog. The first time we are leaving her will be in 2 weeks when we fly to Florida for a week. We are getting a house sitter, so are crossing our fingers!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

carnaught said:

Oh, you know about my phobia!

sb55 said:

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

I have learned there are some really good people in this world, who save dogs and puppies. Many volunteer at shelters and many foster dogs and cats in their home. Sometimes we forget how caring and kind people can be.

I thought it would be a longer time before we got another dog.......but, life isn't the same without one around.

Thanks houdini. Trixie is just under 3 months of age. We slept about 20% of the night the first night. She was in a babies playpen until the crate arrives from amazon. The second night I used a small doggy bed, and put her on the floor in our bedroom. We slept about 80% on the 2nd night. I was up at 2 a.m. so I took her out.
    So far, she loves her toys, she follows us everywhere, she can go for a long walk on a leash.....loves walking and wants to keep up. Doesn't seem to bark too much, though Shiatsu's and Yorkies are barkers. I am hoping our laid back and encouraging manner make her calm. She played with a neighbors dog in our home this morning and she was fine.....seems to want to socialize. She watches everything.....really likes to watch me tie my shoe laces, and then wants to chew on them. She seems to watch a bit of TV and looks if there is a dog barking or door closing....Gigi ignored the TV.
    She is very lovable.......really cute to watch. I like when she runs in the grass, she bobs up and down like a rabbit.
    We are on our 2nd Cairn Terrier. All terriers seem be barkers, but we have trained ours to stop barking on command. It's hard, but can be done. We have always let our dogs sleep in our bedroom. First in a crate when they are young, then they graduate to a dog bed. She takes herself to bed when she's ready and often sleeps in after we wake up!

As an aside, we have never left our 4 yo dog. The first time we are leaving her will be in 2 weeks when we fly to Florida for a week. We are getting a house sitter, so are crossing our fingers!
    We were spoiled with Gigi....she could bark but only barked once...about once a year.! Your dog is really nice sb, would probably make an excellent friend for Trixie.
    I noticed people seem to either like short hair smooth dogs, or they gravitate to the fluffier look.
    Did you do anything in particular to teach not to bark on command?
    Gigi got left alone a bit but not as much as some dogs....she went to work with us in our warehouse every day for about 15 years.

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    @driver100
    We did some obedience training when she was young. Mostly just distraction with treats. When she barks, we just use the "no bark" command and make her come to our side. Terriers are headstrong, so it doesn't always work, but way better than yapping. Oddly, she mostly barks when she sees a dog on TV! Never when she sees a dog in person.
    My father has a Jack Russel that wasn't ever really trained. I don't know how he can live with it! That's one reason why we'll only be at his house for 2 days when we're in Florida, the rest with friends (sorry Dad).

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

edited January 2019
    Sb, we can't handle being around a yappy dog. If Trixie does bark, I will yell in a loud voice "quiet", possibly clap loudly, that is what they say to do. Dogs pick up on when you aren't pleased with them.
    They told us in obedience school, (Gigi passed kindergarten but failed Grade 1 because she wouldn't sit for a long period of time - she had to socialize) that a dog is happier if it has rules and if it does what you want it to do. They also like routines.
    We looked after a large lab for a friend once....Paul is a psychiatrist and he hates to impose rules, so their dog wouldn't walk properly on a leash. If we were eating it had it's chin on the table. If I opened the fridge door it's big head was in there right in front of me....cutting down my outward vision and you know how upsetting that is for me!
    I'm not a strong disciplinarian, but, the dog isn't going to control me if it is at all possible.

I would do the same, not stay in a place with a barking dog......maybe he taught his dog to bark on purpose. Like in our spare bedroom, I bought the most uncomfortable pull out bed I could find :D

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've always maintained that people should have to present a well-trained pet to the State Reproductive Board before being allowed to have children. :p
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    sb55 said:

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

She should be fine. She will certainly miss you, but this arrangement, where she gets to stay at home, is the best option. This is her domain.

I've always maintained that people should have to present a well-trained pet to the State Reproductive Board before being allowed to have children. :p

and, visa versa..........

Rooney the Wonder Dog is mellowing in his later years- even tolerating the evil cat to a
    significant degree...

Nice to see cats and dogs getting along.

driver100 said:

Rooney the Wonder Dog is mellowing in his later years- even tolerating the evil cat to a
    significant degree...

Nice to see cats and dogs getting along.

All very nice but how many of you have trained your cat to decorate the tree?

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

I’ve been running my AC every day these past few weeks - been in the mid 80’s every day and in the mid 70’s every night with high humidity.  Those folks who came to South Florida for winter break sure got their money’s worth this year.

As I walked through the mall I saw many people with sunburns.  This is very unusual for this time of year.  The forecast for the next 10 days is for highs in the mid to upper 70’s and lows at night in the high 50’s to mid 60’s. Those are more normal temps for December - February.

Come on down guys - it’s really nice down here for a change.
    It sure took you long enough to invite me. When can I expect the airfare money?

jmonroe

Jmonroe, you are welcome in my home at any time - I will even pick you up at the airport - but you need to buy your own airline tickets!  You are not related to me (thank God) and I don’t pay for airline tickets for anyone unless they are related to me - and no I refuse to adopt you!  :o;)

You tell him dad.

BTW I'm heading down there this summer, send air fare.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Speaking of dogs our dog has a new friend.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    pretty impressive you don't have a hole in your sliding door.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    @roadburner Rooney and Teddy could be long lost brothers 
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited January 2019
    handsome dog. This is my goofball, in his natural position.

• DrivingfoolDrivingfool Member Posts: 227
    Drove a Camaro convertible the other day. Much more fun to drive it than be in the back seat. Sat back there last week and after 5 minutes, got a bad case of claustraphobia(?)...man, it was tight! Picked it up from Lauderdale airport where it had the top down. Wanted to keep it down but my lead put it up before I pulled it up to the 4th floor meeting place. Windows were a bit smallish but at least it moved when needed. Quieter than the Mustang and a bit nicer drive at least to me. The last convertible we owned was a 1970 Cadillac and it was such a great vehicle in every way. Wouldn't mind having another one right now!

Drove a Camaro convertible the other day. Much more fun to drive it than be in the back seat. Sat back there last week and after 5 minutes, got a bad case of claustraphobia(?)...man, it was tight! Picked it up from Lauderdale airport where it had the top down. Wanted to keep it down but my lead put it up before I pulled it up to the 4th floor meeting place. Windows were a bit smallish but at least it moved when needed. Quieter than the Mustang and a bit nicer drive at least to me. The last convertible we owned was a 1970 Cadillac and it was such a great vehicle in every way. Wouldn't mind having another one right now!

What sadist would put a man with back troubles in the back seat of a Camaro?

edited January 2019
    Night #1 we got 20% sleep, night 2 we got 80% sleep, night 3, we got 90% sleep.
    It's getting better. I am taking Trixie out at 2 a.m. to keep up her training.
    So far haven't come across any wild or strange animals in the wilds of Florida....yet!
    She is really cute though, has to follow us around everywhere....we can never be out of her sight.

There seems to be a fine array of dogs around here....a nice group, and one tree decorating cat plus abs feline family member, not to forget roadrunner's friendly PC non-discriminating cat.

One vehicle that was on the list of cars that are likely to reach 200k+ miles was a Chrysler Pacifica and I saw one yesterday, though it looked like it was near the last of it's life...pretty rough condition. I was never crazy about them, looked like an oversize station wagon.

I didn't realize how ugly the interior was until I checked it out:

edited January 2019
    We really loved our Pacifica, but no way in hell I trusted the transmission to last that long. Wife wanted to buy it at lease end, but I vetoed it due to that very concern.

The interior in that pic is not normal. Looks to be one of those aftermarket stick on wood kits. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Here is what our Limited looked like. Ours was that same dark blue you posted but with this tan interior.

I always liked those too.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    qbrozen said:

Here is what our Limited looked like. Ours was that same dark blue you posted but with this tan interior.

Never had one but I always liked them. Another car ahead of it's time.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Someone re-utilized their basement rec room paneling B)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    pensfan83 said:

@roadburner Rooney and Teddy could be long lost brothers 

Really!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

houdini2 said:

qbrozen said:

You have to hand it to Chrysler for it’s ability to come up with the occasional quirky vehicle that becomes faddish at least for a while. The Pacifica and the Dodge Magnum come to mind. Then there are the game changers like the PT Crusier which inspired a whole genre of better CUVs and of course the minivan.

Unfortunately, the only vehicle left that I like is the Challenger and that’s too big and heavy for my liking.

You have to hand it to Chrysler for it’s ability to come up with the occasional quirky vehicle that becomes faddish at least for a while. The Pacifica and the Dodge Magnum come to mind. Then there are the game changers like the PT Crusier which inspired a whole genre of better CUVs and of course the minivan. Unfortunately, the only vehicle left that I like is the Challenger and that’s too big and heavy for my liking.
    Challenger is still one of my fave designs on the road. Always turns my head.

Being a fan of the 70's E cars, I appreciate the tribute, but think the current Challenger is a bit to chunky. All the 60/70's pony cars chunked up in today's iterations, but to me the Mustang is probably the leanest of the bunch.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    We had a Pacifica at work for a while.  

I drove it many thousands of miles.  I always liked it, rode well and quiet. 

Toward the end the transmission did get quirky but never failed at well over 100k. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

houdini2 said:

qbrozen said:

You have to hand it to Chrysler for it’s ability to come up with the occasional quirky vehicle that becomes faddish at least for a while. The Pacifica and the Dodge Magnum come to mind. Then there are the game changers like the PT Crusier which inspired a whole genre of better CUVs and of course the minivan.

Unfortunately, the only vehicle left that I like is the Challenger and that’s too big and heavy for my liking.

Good analysis O-F. The Magnum was marketed as a great new invention, it was really a station wagon that was chopped and channeled like they did in the 60s. Don't forget it started with Chrysler Airflo's. Very advanced design in it's day, but people weren't ready for it:

And don't forget the first Valiants...not sure what Chrysler was thinking:

I do give Chrysler credit for trying, and occasionally they find a winner (K Car, Mini van, even PT when new, and dare I say it....the Neon was a new concept at the time).

edited January 2019
    Being a fan of the 70's E cars, I appreciate the tribute, but think the current Challenger is a bit to chunky. All the 60/70's pony cars chunked up in today's iterations, but to me the Mustang is probably the leanest of the bunch

Is the Challenger that big because they didn't have a smaller platform they could use? They are pretty nice, but, they lose something by being so big and bulky, for a "pony" car.

qbrozen said:

Looks better without all the fake wood.

Whether you like the original Valiant or not, I think it did accomplish a few things. It stood out and probably led to the public perception of the slant six durability. I thought it was interesting that when the Big 3 came out with compacts, both Chevy and Mopar took some bold styling, while Ford stayed extremely conventional on the Falcon, but a bit Edsel like on the Comet. You can't say the late 50's and early 60's weren't interesting periods of design, if sometimes a bit over the top.
    the challenger is that big because it is basically a 2 door Charger/300. Which was the platform available for it.

Yeah, I know. I'm guessing making it sleeker would have looked worse on the larger chassis.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Talking about the Pacifica -- what I don't get is if you're going to build a people / junk hauler, why use conventional doors instead of the sliding doors on a minivan? Those things are the greatest invention since sliced bread.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    edited January 2019
    I am enjoying a beautiful sun filled day and gave both cars much needed cleaning.  I think it looks pretty good for 5+ years and 85k.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav