Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Comparing 3 used cars

wik1982wik1982 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2019 in General
Hi all. I am in the market for another vehicle. I am exploring all options but I am also looking at trying to compare 3 specific used vehicles.

1. BMW 3 Series
2. Lexus IS250
3. Audi A4

What I am looking for, specifically, is input or information regarding the residual costs of these used vehicles (model years range from 2006-2010).

I understand the gas mileage of these specifically but I am wondering about any potential maintenance, such as oil changes, brakes, repairs (heaven forbid if an accident would occur). Does anyone have input on this that they could share? Just trying to find out if one or two are much more expensive than another.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,716
    wik1982 said:

Hi all. I am in the market for another vehicle. I am exploring all options but I am also looking at trying to compare 3 specific used vehicles.

1. BMW 3 Series
    2. Lexus IS250
    3. Audi A4

What I am looking for, specifically, is input or information regarding the residual costs of these used vehicles (model years range from 2006-2010).

I understand the gas mileage of these specifically but I am wondering about any potential maintenance, such as oil changes, brakes, repairs (heaven forbid if an accident would occur). Does anyone have input on this that they could share? Just trying to find out if one or two are much more expensive than another.

The Lexus will be cheaper to own than the two German models.. by far.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

wik1982 said:

1. BMW 3 Series
    2. Lexus IS250
    3. Audi A4

This actually surprises me....not that the Lexus might be cheaper, but the "by far" part....I thought it maybe slightly less but didn't think the German models would be substantially more. That really bites lol...but I appreciate the honesty and input....

Is there anything else major about these that I should consider? I read about the Lexus alot of people feel the engine is under powered, especially compared to the German models, but as a result also gets slightly better mileage. I really love the 3 series from a visual stand point and there are a lot more options as far as available BMWs in my area, but I am paranoid of potential costs down the road, especially with used cars.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,716
    wik1982 said:

kyfdx said:

wik1982 said:

1. BMW 3 Series
    2. Lexus IS250
    3. Audi A4

This actually surprises me....not that the Lexus might be cheaper, but the "by far" part....I thought it maybe slightly less but didn't think the German models would be substantially more. That really bites lol...but I appreciate the honesty and input....

Is there anything else major about these that I should consider? I read about the Lexus alot of people feel the engine is under powered, especially compared to the German models, but as a result also gets slightly better mileage. I really love the 3 series from a visual stand point and there are a lot more options as far as available BMWs in my area, but I am paranoid of potential costs down the road, especially with used cars.
    Depends on what year and which engine on the other two models.

The base engines probably aren't far apart in acceleration.

European brands tend to be pricey to repair/maintain as they age, and the newest car you are considering is already nine years old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

wik1982 said:

kyfdx said:

wik1982 said:

1. BMW 3 Series
    2. Lexus IS250
    3. Audi A4

Depends on what year and which engine on the other two models.

The base engines probably aren't far apart in acceleration.

European brands tend to be pricey to repair/maintain as they age, and the newest car you are considering is already nine years old.
    So, if I am considering these, and likely will need to do some maintenance and repairs, the Lexus is going to be easier to take care of and less pricey (thats the general vibe I am getting here lol).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, I think that's accurate, but on the other hand if cost is not the only consideration, and you're willing to spend extra for fastidious maintenance, you may enjoy the driving characteristics of the other cars over the Lexus and still avoid any real disasters.

What I'm saying is that you don't "take care" of a BMW or Audi like you take care of a Lexus. You do that, and it won't be pretty. You'll have to spend more, and more often, on preventative maintenance.

I have a Volvo of that vintage and I plan on spending at least $800--$1000 per year on service visits, which would include things like frequent oil changes, coolant flush and trans. flush every 30K, timing belt maintenance ( if applicable) brake fluid flush, tire rotation, diagnostic checkup and software updates, fuel filters, new wiper blades once a year all the way round, detail and wax 2X per year, belts and hoses, etc etc. So some years will be more expensive than others, depending on what's already been done to the cars you are buying.

Especially with the BMW and Audi, you have to know the previous service history. Some people pile out of these cars right when they need the most.
  • Options
    Yes, I think that's accurate, but on the other hand if cost is not the only consideration, and you're willing to spend extra for fastidious maintenance, you may enjoy the driving characteristics of the other cars over the Lexus and still avoid any real disasters. What I'm saying is that you don't "take care" of a BMW or Audi like you take care of a Lexus. You do that, and it won't be pretty. You'll have to spend more, and more often, on preventative maintenance. I have a Volvo of that vintage and I plan on spending at least $800--$1000 per year on service visits, which would include things like frequent oil changes, coolant flush and trans. flush every 30K, timing belt maintenance ( if applicable) brake fluid flush, tire rotation, diagnostic checkup and software updates, fuel filters, new wiper blades once a year all the way round, detail and wax 2X per year, belts and hoses, etc etc. So some years will be more expensive than others, depending on what's already been done to the cars you are buying. Especially with the BMW and Audi, you have to know the previous service history. Some people pile out of these cars right when they need the most.
    Ok not sure if I am understanding this but I think you are saying the German cars may take more constant/preventative maintenance but as long as I keep on that they would have a better quality of life than the Lexus? Or did I not understand correctly? 
  • Options
    Bumping this back up for clarification!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,186
    wik1982 said:

Yes, I think that's accurate, but on the other hand if cost is not the only consideration, and you're willing to spend extra for fastidious maintenance, you may enjoy the driving characteristics of the other cars over the Lexus and still avoid any real disasters.

What I'm saying is that you don't "take care" of a BMW or Audi like you take care of a Lexus. You do that, and it won't be pretty. You'll have to spend more, and more often, on preventative maintenance.

I have a Volvo of that vintage and I plan on spending at least $800--$1000 per year on service visits, which would include things like frequent oil changes, coolant flush and trans. flush every 30K, timing belt maintenance ( if applicable) brake fluid flush, tire rotation, diagnostic checkup and software updates, fuel filters, new wiper blades once a year all the way round, detail and wax 2X per year, belts and hoses, etc etc. So some years will be more expensive than others, depending on what's already been done to the cars you are buying.

Especially with the BMW and Audi, you have to know the previous service history. Some people pile out of these cars right when they need the most.

Ok not sure if I am understanding this but I think you are saying the German cars may take more constant/preventative maintenance but as long as I keep on that they would have a better quality of life than the Lexus? Or did I not understand correctly? 

No, I think you're right. You just have to go into this type of purchase with your eyes open and address issues as part of the routine maintenance. Deferring any service work will be costly in the long run.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You have it mostly right. My opinion is that a higher level of preventative maintenance will give you a more or less EQUAL quality of life to a Lexus, not a better one. It's really difficult to say that any German make can match the Lexus for longterm reliability.