Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Owners Club - Meet the Members

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2019 in Subaru
Hello Subaru owners! Welcome to the Edmunds forums.
Whether you're a first time Subaru owner or having been driving them for years, take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your vehicle.

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    Somehow I ended up with 3 Subaru's. I don't know how that happened. :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• JustinSJustinS Administrator Posts: 58
    @venture what did you have before Subaru? What keeps you loyal to the brand now?
    Edmunds Customer Care
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    venture said:

Somehow I ended up with 3 Subaru's. I don't know how that happened. :o

I've had 3 of my brand at once. Most of the time 2. But 15 over the years
    JustinS said:

@venture what did you have before Subaru? What keeps you loyal to the brand now?

I've been all over the place. It depends what strikes me at the time. I've had Monte Carlos, BMW, a Ford Fusion.

Right now I drive the Legacy 3.6, my wife is on her third Forester, and my daughter drives the Crosstrek.

My wife is due for something new. We usually drive around on a Sunday, when the dealers are closed, and I try to get her to decide what she wants. Like I said, this Forester is her third in a row so...

My oldest daughter got a Forester last year to accommodate a child seat. Forester was the only vehicle they could find where the child seat did not touch the front seat, which is apparently against the law here in PA.

BTW venture, since you list Central PA as your neck of the woods, let me know if you're ever in the State College area and we can do lunch :)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,908
    Owner of a 2015 Outback. Wife's primary car. It's the 3.6R Limited, and pretty much fully loaded. She loves it, and with only 32,000 miles on it in the 4 years we've owned it, my guess is that it will stick around for a good, long time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    edited March 2019
    Our 2013 Forester is our "new" one. I don't think I could stomach a newer unit for two reasons:

1. Automatic Transmission
    2. Fugly appearance.

So, I'm under contract to keep this one running a long, long time. So far, all of our "long term" Subarus have ended up having their lives cut short by other drivers out there. Hopefully this one does not suffer the same fate. It only has about 80,000 miles on it now, so it should be good for at least another ten years (or whenever my wife grows tired of it, if that happens).

The '13 is our sixth Subaru overall.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Our 2013 Forester is our "new" one. I don't think I could stomach a newer unit for two reasons:

1. Automatic Transmission
    2. Fugly appearance.

So, I'm under contract to keep this one running a long, long time. So far, all of our "long term" Subarus have ended up having their lives cut short by other drivers out there. Hopefully this one does not suffer the same fate. It only has about 80,000 miles on it now, so it should be good for at least another ten years (or whenever my wife grows tired of it, if that happens).

The '13 is our sixth Subaru overall.

Right with you on automatic/CVT transmissions. I like to feel like *I* am in control :)
    I dunno - the CVT in our Outback has been programmed to "feel" like a conventional automatic. And, it also has flappy paddles to manually control what gear you are in.

Not that I dislike stick shifts - I'm considering one for my next car - whatever it is and whenever I get it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

My daughter, who had driven nothing but manuals before they got their Forester, WAS concerned about the CVT based on how the CVT in our Versa Note felt to her. She says her Forester feels nothing like our car, and also says it feels more conventional
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I have nothing against CVT as a perfectly viable the AT. I just don't prefer any sort of AT at all, and, my wife *really* doesn't prefer them. Since it is her car, she sets the rules.

I suppose that a Crosstrek is a possibility, except they are just so small... not a practical road trip car at all. But, for a mostly local runabout? Perfectly viable.

Still, the third generation Forester remains the most nicely balanced vehicle ever offered by Subaru. There's really no wonder why that vehicle, at that point in history, truly revitalized the brand and allowed Subaru to buck the automotive trends of the day.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:

I dunno - the CVT in our Outback has been programmed to "feel" like a conventional automatic. And, it also has flappy paddles to manually control what gear you are in.

Not that I dislike stick shifts - I'm considering one for my next car - whatever it is and whenever I get it.

Same here as far as my 3.6 Legacy. I have tested cars with a CVT before and passed. This one does feel much better. The Forester doesn't feel that bad any more either. I guess I'm getting used to them.

I would like to find a play car with a stick, but can't imagine ever finding the time at the proper time.

I wonder if CVTs are so disliked by "car people" simply because (as far as automated shifting goes) we only drove multiple speed transmissions first.

venture said:

Michaell said:

Same here as far as my 3.6 Legacy. I have tested cars with a CVT before and passed. This one does feel much better. The Forester doesn't feel that bad any more either. I guess I'm getting used to them.

I would like to find a play car with a stick, but can't imagine ever finding the time at the proper time.

I wonder if CVTs are so disliked by "car people" simply because (as far as automated shifting goes) we only drove multiple speed transmissions first.
    That, and the early versions of CVTs were just not that good.

Think about turbocharging - the technology has been around for over 50 years, but only recently has it become widely adopted.

Not sure that a CVT is inherently worse that the 9 and 10 speed automatics that are starting to appear.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

venture said:

Michaell said:

Think about turbocharging - the technology has been around for over 50 years, but only recently has it become widely adopted.

Not sure that a CVT is inherently worse that the 9 and 10 speed automatics that are starting to appear.
    Well. I agree completely with that. I've only been in a couple of them but they were hunting continuously.

venture said:

Michaell said:

venture said:

Michaell said:

Well. I agree completely with that. I've only been in a couple of them but they were hunting continuously.
    I have test driven a couple of Jeeps with the nine speed automatic – one with a four-cylinder engine, the other with a V6. The transmission paired Much better with the V6.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Fairly certain that Subie isn't on our shopping list. Every Subie I've ever sat in that I might consider feels a little cramped for leg space (yea, I have trouble finding pants that fit right too)
    PF_Flyer said:

Fairly certain that Subie isn't on our shopping list. Every Subie I've ever sat in that I might consider feels a little cramped for leg space (yea, I have trouble finding pants that fit right too)

When is the last time you did so?

Subarus built prior to 2009/2010 timeline were, indeed, cramped. Since then, they have done a fantastic job of upping the passenger space.
    Just for clarification, I don't have anything against a CVT versus a TCT. My wife is the one who uses the Forester for the most part, and she wants it with a manual. I prefer manual, but I'm tolerant of automatics. So, the combination of no option of a manual and a car that just makes me shudder when I look at it means it's a no-go.
    xwesx said:

PF_Flyer said:

When is the last time you did so?

Subarus built prior to 2009/2010 timeline were, indeed, cramped. Since then, they have done a fantastic job of upping the passenger space.
    Last Subie sitting was in my daughter's 2018 Forester. . It's not super small, just a touch short in the legroom.
    PF_Flyer said:

My oldest daughter got a Forester last year to accommodate a child seat. Forester was the only vehicle they could find where the child seat did not touch the front seat, which is apparently against the law here in PA.

BTW venture, since you list Central PA as your neck of the woods, let me know if you're ever in the State College area and we can do lunch :)

Yikes! I just noticed this.

I'll PM you some time when I will be in the area. You pick the place. I'll buy.

I don't get there much since the kids graduated. It's only about 40 miles so not a big deal.

Since I work from home, I'm almost ALWAYS around :)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Soon-to-be subie owner here. Wife has settled on an Ascent Touring and so she shall have. Flipping the lease on her BMW X1 and then will be making a move once that is done. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Soon-to-be subie owner here. Wife has settled on an Ascent Touring and so she shall have. Flipping the lease on her BMW X1 and then will be making a move once that is done. 

Oh, and you just missed the end of the month! ;)
    Meh - that doesn't mean much to me on a truck that is selling well. Actually the longer it stays on the market, I think the more luck I'll have. I have no illusions of getting any of my crazy lease deals on this one. But my sanity is worth quite a bit.
    Has your wife settled on a color? I like it in black, but I've already had my black car and don't want to wash a car every 3 days again :)

*I* would lean towards the blue or red, but MY wife would likely go for the white or the grey metallic

I think we are leaning towards white, gray, or red.
    The pictures of the red color make it look like a nice deep ruby kind of red.

I think we are leaning towards white, gray, or red.

I think it might look good in white.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2019
    I think I'm baaack.... What happened to the Subaru Crew Meet the Members with a gazillion posts over 20 years?
    edited May 2019
    It's still here fibber2... nice to see you again BTW :)

The Crew discussion is on the list of owners clubs. Here's a link to it so you can bookmark it too!

@fibber2 Looking forward to catching up!

Daughter #1 is a Subie owner now. They had a kid and got a Forester
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Hey PF_Flyer! Yes, life is complex and busy. My older daughter is still driving the Honda CR-V, but we are trying to move her into her own ride (Forester lease?) and give the CR-V to our 16 year old.
    fibber2 said:

Hey PF_Flyer! Yes, life is complex and busy. My older daughter is still driving the Honda CR-V, but we are trying to move her into her own ride (Forester lease?) and give the CR-V to our 16 year old.

When isn't it complex and busy? ;)
    I was thinking the same thing.

It's just one thing after another...... !
    xwesx said:

I was thinking the same thing.

It's just one thing after another...... !

And with all the rain again this year, once again mosquitoes make it almost impossible to go outside :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Supposed to rain here from Wednesday through Sunday, with a total amount of 4"-5" predicted. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Wow! Not terribly wet weather here. Rain this weekend (why my weekends?!), but we really needed it to knock the smoke down.
  • pmw786pmw786 Member Posts: 9
    Hey All, I’ve been researching the 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited and I’ve only been thinking about leasing until today, but figured I’d ask if the owners of Subarus recommend to buy it outright instead and then keep it long term up to 10 years or trade in at the 5-6 year mark? Any thoughts?  How’s the maintenance on Subarus after the warranty period expires? Currently I have been driving a Scion tC for 12 years...
    pmw786 said:

Hey All, I’ve been researching the 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited and I’ve only been thinking about leasing until today, but figured I’d ask if the owners of Subarus recommend to buy it outright instead and then keep it long term up to 10 years or trade in at the 5-6 year mark? Any thoughts?  How’s the maintenance on Subarus after the warranty period expires? Currently I have been driving a Scion tC for 12 years...

We have had our first Subaru for just over 4 years. Wife loves it - we plan to keep it for many years.

It helps that it has 31,000 miles in those 4 years, and we live in Colorado, where Subarus hardly depreciate at all.

Regarding maintenance, I'll admit that I'm overdue for a maintenance service on it - I need to review the manual to see what it says needs to be done, rather than what the dealer 'suggests'.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

pmw786 said:

Well, I suppose the first question is.... based on your history, what is your expectation? Over a six-year period, you are unlikely to have any non-maintenance items pop up. Between six and ten years, it is probable.

In general, Subarus do not lease well. And, because they hold their value well, buying is a good option for this make. For the five-to-six year timeline that you envision, you would have to compare the cost of two leases to the cost of one buy. And, if you spend a little extra on a zero-deductible extended warranty that covers your ownership period (Subaru Gold warranty, not a third party), then you hedge your bets against any large unforeseen repairs that might (however unlikely) crop up.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    A couple of the people who participate on the Subaru boards were helpful when I was shopping in Dec of '16 for what turned out to be a Forester. Here's something I posted elsewhere describing a drive to Alaska and back:

Well, we're back from the drive to AK which we tacked on to our annual summer visit to the Winter Park, CO, area. Saw lots of wildlife (but no so much as 12 years ago, when I went last) and were disappointed to miss views of quite a few of the mountains in AK owing to the wildfires and resulting smoke. Had to replace the battery on the '17 Forester (2.5 litre NA engine), but otherwise had no issues whatever -- no oil consumption. Did replace all 4 of the OE tires (Yokohama) with Michelin Defenders when we got home. Drove 400ish miles per day and had a couple days of little or no driving (Fairbanks & Vancouver, BC). Anyway, here are a few numbers:

Total Miles -- 11,473
    Avg MPG -- 35.7
    Avg amount trip computer was high on MPG - 6.3%, never less than 3.5%
    Days gone -- 35

Got mpg as high as 39.2 and 40.3, both at high elevation (reduced drag). Shades of the kind of driving I used to do in the KW. The Forester was a very capable vehicle in this application.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited July 2019
    Wow, really? 35.7?! That's impressive. Our five-speed manual is closer to 28 over that same trip. Shocking the difference on the CVT (though I'm still not sure that would be worth the CVT penalty).
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    There was quite a bit of high elevation driving in CO & MT, so it wasn't all on the AK highway.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Really good up there in the thin air!