Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited May 2019
    Ahh.. marketing folks. Those who spend all the money we save in operations!!!

Our stores tend to have lots of things that have a "smell of the season" so when you walk into our stores your nose automatically knows what season we are selling before your eyes do.

If someone came to me and asked to buy scent generators for our locations I'd usher them out of my office with the quickness.

Side note...

This is my second day working from home. Started at 6:00 am when I got up and wish I could do it all the time. It is so nice. Shame it is short lived

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Both guys drove like morons. Kia guy assumed just because he has a blinker on, people should yield. The dashboard guy was going way too fast, had plenty of time to take his foot of the gas and let him in. He basically drove like it was some kind of race who gets there first. Both are idiots. I think the dashboard camera guy is a bigger idiot, because he has posted it and seems to be soliciting for sympathy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

Just got some specials from my MB dealer. That Car Wash for $50 they do for $20 in Florida....and dog hair for an additional $50!

Charging $419 for a clay job and “cut” polish? Not even putting a sealant or wax on?

Geez——Louise!!!!!!!!!! I think I’ve found me a new business if they’re getting away with those prices.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Stay out of Russia.

https://youtu.be/UuccJk_NQFg

A little after the 2 minute mark, love the guy filming listening to AC/DC.

And what’s with Russian fascination of jumping lane barrier/dividers? Is that a thing? Or are the barriers that poorly made and engineered?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

If you watch any of those dash cam crash compilations you’ll see a lot of those crashes could have been avoided.
    Could have been avoided if the Honda driver hadn't felt that as soon as the turn signal goes on she has the right to cut over into the lane even when there's not room. She should have slowed down and merged BEHIND the car with the camera.

I get really tired of the drivers who want to get ahead and then cut into my assured clear following distance from the car ahead of me. They think as soon as their turn signal is on then have a right to move over and that assumes that that everyone else has to have seen their turn signal from the first flash on.

I anticpate some of these and accelerate some for a period to make it less inviting to cut over.

If you let yourself get agitated at every stupid driver out there you’ll have a stroke.

Yesterday, on the way to Burlington a woman in a Camaro (V6 no less) decided that me doing 5 over the speed limit on rt. 7 was too slow so she passed me on double yellow then cut in so sharply that I had to brake. Could have let her hit me, it was a company car so no skin off my nose but I just shook my head. 5 miles later I caught up with her stuck behind a dump truck so all her shenanigans were for naught. I had a laugh.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I believe in Russia, to combat fraud, insurers require a dashcam (and drivers also like them in the land where corruption is even greater than here), so there's a lot more footage. Add that to a society where most people are first generation drivers, and it can be fun.
    edited May 2019

Stay out of Russia.

https://youtu.be/UuccJk_NQFg

A little after the 2 minute mark, love the guy filming listening to AC/DC.

And what’s with Russian fascination of jumping lane barrier/dividers? Is that a thing? Or are the barriers that poorly made and engineered?

I think someone got it right when they attributed it to vodka’s ability to make you fly.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    True “new car scent”, not sprays labeled as such, to me, is as good as it gets.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Nope, it's an online auto parts retailer. Vast assortment, outstanding prices, they are great.

I was curious so I checked reviews for rockauto....couldn't find too many good ones. Though maybe people who aren't happy are the ones who write a review.

This one seemed pretty telling;
    Awful
    First off, they BADLY fake their reviews. Check around on the internet, there's only one place where the reviews are good. Secondly, if you have problems with your order, they will do nothing but give you excuses about why any issues with your order are your fault, not theirs. Be prepared for solutions that fail to solve anything and nothing but excuses and blame shifting. And if you have anything bad to say about them on Facebook, they will immediately block you and delete your comments. Very poor company, awful customer service, they will ship the wrong products in the wrong box and then blame it on their suppliers. So many issues, I could write a novel about them. They're always trying to control the narrative about their company rather than just doing a good job and letting real people say good things about them. Absolutely will never give them another shot. I had 5 issues in 20 orders. This wasn't a one-off problem on my end, this was repeated issues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had both good and bad luck with rockauto. The prices are good, the shipping is fast enough, and if you choose wisely, my son, the parts are of decent quality.

I have had foul-ups though, most recently sending me 4 monroe shock absorbers for a Mitsubishi--which as you know I don't own. Seems like a name mix up with some other joe. They did straighten it out pretty fast, though, once you get through their baffling customer service menus.

ab348 said:

In other news, then there's this:

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/california-regulator-threatens-ban-gasoline-engines

California regulator threatens ban on gasoline engines

WASHINGTON -- California's top environmental regulator is threatening to enact tougher pollution rules that could include a ban on vehicles that burn petroleum-based fuels in retaliation for the Trump administration’s plan to relax vehicle emission standards.

The move -- which would be a first in the U.S. -- marks an escalation in the clash between Washington and Sacramento that would increase uncertainty for carmakers in the nation’s biggest auto market.

California has already gone to court to fight the Trump administration’s determination that current vehicle emission and fuel economy standards are too stringent. Now, California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols is arguing that the state will match any relaxation of federal auto rules with its own more stringent anti-pollution requirements on everything from fuel to the refineries producing it.

“CARB will be exploring ways to ensure communities get the reductions of air pollution they so desperately need to keep the air clean and breathable -- and continue to fight climate change,” Nichols said in draft remarks prepared for an event Thursday.

“That might mean, for example, tougher requirements for low-carbon fuels, looking at tighter health-protective regulations on California refineries, doubling down on our enforcement efforts on mobile and stationary sources -- and might lead to an outright ban on internal combustion engines.”

Leave it to California to threaten the well being of their citizens for a political fit of pique.
    It's just a posture. Nobody's serious about this. The issue is going to court, anyway.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    I want to put a scent system into my Chevrolet. https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/innovation/a-fragrance-for-the-new-s-class/ Are some MB owners this disconnected from the real world? How about rolling the windows down for fresh air.

You must be pretty old if you remember when Mercedes had windows that ROLLED down.  :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    dino001 said:

Both guys drove like morons. Kia guy assumed just because he has a blinker on, people should yield. The dashboard guy was going way too fast, had plenty of time to take his foot of the gas and let him in. He basically drove like it was some kind of race who gets there first. Both are idiots. I think the dashboard camera guy is a bigger idiot, because he has posted it and seems to be soliciting for sympathy.

I get this 3 X a day. I don't hit anyone as revenge.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    There's an intersection near our home where a 4 lane road splits with left/right lanes going in opposite directions. The right lane generally has more traffic so of course if you wait until you are closer to the split to merge over people in the right lane guard it like it's some sacred road and refuse to let you in. More than a few times I've merged over with signal and plenty of room but there's always a few people who take exception to me "skipping the line" and try to close the gap between them and the car I'm merging behind to prevent me from safely merging. A few times drivers closed the game enough where I can't safely merge so I just continue on the other road, which only adds 5-10 minutes to the trip. Other times I successfully merge and then have someone tailing me as if they were trying to teach me a lesson???? I don't get it.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

abacomike said:

I have to go to my MB service department to replace my air freshener which is in the glove compartment.  There are 3-4 different scents available and they cost a fortune.  I believe they are $100+ per jar of liquid.  The amount of air freshener scent added/sprayed into the ventilation system is controlled by selecting the ventilation option screen and selecting one of three different settings.

I usually set it at the “low” setting but it does freshen the air in the car.  This air freshener system came with one of the package options - I certainly would not order that system if I had a choice.  But, it is what it is!

When I first read this, I thought it was in jest, like the Onion. Now, I'm not so sure

It's clear that you exist in a very different space than I. You're welcome to it.
    I know just enough about Mercedes to believe the story.

"Living in a different space"? Well, anyone driving around in a 100k Mercedes IS in a different space than you or I. I think Mike (@abacomike) is living with a lot of physical ailments, and his options for entertainment are becoming more limited every year. If he chooses to spend money on a lavish automobile (and the accoutrements that go with it), and on his daughter and grandson, who are we to judge?

I say go for it Mike, and more power to you!

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    pensfan83 said:

There's an intersection near our home where a 4 lane road splits with left/right lanes going in opposite directions. The right lane generally has more traffic so of course if you wait until you are closer to the split to merge over people in the right lane guard it like it's some sacred road and refuse to let you in. More than a few times I've merged over with signal and plenty of room but there's always a few people who take exception to me "skipping the line" and try to close the gap between them and the car I'm merging behind to prevent me from safely merging. A few times drivers closed the game enough where I can't safely merge so I just continue on the other road, which only adds 5-10 minutes to the trip. Other times I successfully merge and then have someone tailing me as if they were trying to teach me a lesson???? I don't get it.

People’s sense of outrage and territory gets multiplied when surrounded by steel. My favorite is being behind some slow poke doing 10 mph under the limit who speeds up only when you try to pass.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited May 2019
    I had an episode a week or so ago. A Lexus SUV was in front of me going 10 under. I made a perfectly legal pass. A light is shortly after that passing zone, but then its open road for a few miles afterwards with no passing. Got to that light and it was red. Lexus pulls around me and runs the red light and then proceeded to drive 10 under again. WTF is wrong with people?

Well, I was in a mood due to the recent passing of my father. I passed again and gave the driver a taste of his own medicine and drove about 20 under. Several miles later, at the next red, he tried it again, but I blocked him that time. He backed off after that. Not saying I did the right thing. Just sharing a story. You never know what the person in the other car is going through in their life that makes them act like an idiot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Nope, it's an online auto parts retailer. Vast assortment, outstanding prices, they are great.

I was curious so I checked reviews for rockauto....couldn't find too many good ones. Though maybe people who aren't happy are the ones who write a review.

This one seemed pretty telling;
    Awful
    First off, they BADLY fake their reviews. Check around on the internet, there's only one place where the reviews are good. Secondly, if you have problems with your order, they will do nothing but give you excuses about why any issues with your order are your fault, not theirs. Be prepared for solutions that fail to solve anything and nothing but excuses and blame shifting. And if you have anything bad to say about them on Facebook, they will immediately block you and delete your comments. Very poor company, awful customer service, they will ship the wrong products in the wrong box and then blame it on their suppliers. So many issues, I could write a novel about them. They're always trying to control the narrative about their company rather than just doing a good job and letting real people say good things about them. Absolutely will never give them another shot. I had 5 issues in 20 orders. This wasn't a one-off problem on my end, this was repeated issues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had both good and bad luck with rockauto. The prices are good, the shipping is fast enough, and if you choose wisely, my son, the parts are of decent quality.

I have had foul-ups though, most recently sending me 4 monroe shock absorbers for a Mitsubishi--which as you know I don't own. Seems like a name mix up with some other joe. They did straighten it out pretty fast, though, once you get through their baffling customer service menus.
    What's wrong with Monroe shock absorbers? They're better than wannabe Shifty shock absorbers. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Yesterday I was entering an expressway from a ramp and encountered a line of stopped/slow moving cars at the end of the ramp. Turned out the main highway had the left lane closed for repairs just ahead so people were merging slowly in an orderly manner. As seems to happen here at least (maybe everywhere) the people already on the highway had all moved into the right lane well prior to where the cones were placed closing the left lane, so there were a few hundred feet of left lane that was empty. After I got my spot in the single line we were moving slowly past the cones when I noticed a set of headlights in the left lane coming up fast. There's always one guy, right? He was zipping past cars in the right lane and maybe he was a proponent of the zipper merge which calls for no merging until you reach the point where you have to do it. Anyway, unusually for here where people have made an art form of accommodating lane-jumpers, when he finally got to that point he was hung out to dry. Don't know when he finally was able to get going. Serves him right IMO.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    If I that it is not infrequent for lane campers, who are in no hurry, to run late yellow, early red lights.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    tjc78 said:
    Hey guys...thoughts on this one? I’m not saying anything because I want to see if my opinions match anyone’s here. From another forum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_PI8m2g-Y
    Car that was hit was at fault for changing lanes in an unsafe way!

2021 Genesis G90

qbrozen said:

I had an episode a week or so ago. A Lexus SUV was in front of me going 10 under. I made a perfectly legal pass. A light is shortly after that passing zone, but then its open road for a few miles afterwards with no passing. Got to that light and it was red. Lexus pulls around me and runs the red light and then proceeded to drive 10 under again. WTF is wrong with people?

Well, I was in a mood due to the recent passing of my father. I passed again and gave the driver a taste of his own medicine and drove about 20 under. Several miles later, at the next red, he tried it again, but I blocked him that time. He backed off after that. Not saying I did the right thing. Just sharing a story. You never know what the person in the other car is going through in their life that makes them act like an idiot.

Sorry to hear about your father.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Just a comment from a former driving instructor; The right signal should not have been put on unless she had checked first to make sure that lane was clear. First make sure you can make the turn or switch lanes, and when it is clear, you put on your signal.

You do not, put on your signal, and then do a lane change.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited May 2019
    I think I have too much time on my hands. :s But at least my brain is functioning.

https://youtu.be/68DAMa1ITFk

Couple of bad words so use your judgement.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    driver100 said:
    Just a comment from a former driving instructor; The right signal should not have been put on unless she had checked first to make sure that lane was clear. First make sure you can make the turn or switch lanes, and when it is clear, you put on your signal. You do not, put on your signal, and then do a lane change.
    Putting on your directional signal doesn’t automatically give you the right-of-way.  In the above example, she “assumed” the car in the right lane would let her into the lane.  She was wrong and she is the one who caused the unsafe condition to occur.

2021 Genesis G90

edited May 2019
    abacomike said:

Car that was hit was at fault for changing lanes in an unsafe way!

No doubt, but the car with the dashcam was speeding up like we wanted to make sure he could plow that woman. Noting the length of the impact, it seemed like he wasn't even trying to stop after coming to contact. If I had to guess, he wasn't even looking. See that behavior all the time. All it takes is to let your foot of the gas and we all can get along, but no - some actually speed up to make sure nobody can get in, or at best they pretend they can't see anybody trying to merge.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited May 2019
    driver100 said:

First make sure you can make the turn or switch lanes, and when it is clear, you put on your signal. You do not, put on your signal, and then do a lane change.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG! You signal, so others know what you are attempting to do. You give them prior notice. Doesn't mean you can proceed, just means you show others what is your intent. Signaling after starting the maneuver is pointless and simply wrong. There is such a thing as signaling "too early", but the lady did the right thing by signaling. She just did the wrong thing by starting the lane change without making sure it was safe.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Re: the video of the right turn / accident. I tend to leave 2 or 3 car lengths when I'm driving. Which leads to a lot of cars zipping in and out of the lane I'm in on the freeway, but I try to just ignore it. When I'm on a surface street, and pulling up to an intersection, closing the distance to the car in front of me, it is not at all unusual to have a car run up and try to cut in at the last possible instant. Much as is seen on the video.

I always try my best to avoid a collision, and I'm (usually) successful at that. But when they're flagrant, I will honk the horn.

Many years (decades) ago, someone got angry over my honking the horn and tried, repeatedly, to trick me into rear ending his car. He made several unexpected, unnecessary stops with no brake lights (using the emergency brake, I assume). By the 3rd time, I was expecting it and prepared. I stopped, jumped out with my baseball bat and broke out both of his rear tail lights. He took off like a jack rabbit.

These days, you wouldn't dare. Every other car on the road is equipped with a Dirty Harry special 44 magnum, and they would shoot you full of holes quicker than they would look at you.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2019
    fintail said:

My new wagon has the air balance system too. I have yet to use it, I might never use it. Still plenty of new car smell to enjoy.

Indeed the 2014 MB GLK 250 BT still has the coveted “new” car smell after 5 years & 83,000 miles.👍🌲
    Fun thing, there's a highway exit here (SB 405 to SB 167) where people get in the right lane and slow to a crawl sometimes a mile or two before the exit - for no reason. Given the timid nature of local drivers, they also allow a football field following distance, so when I make my often weekly trip to this area, I get into the exit lane fairly late rather than plodding along at 20 a mile from the exit for no reason other than the lack of skill and confidence that defines so many drivers in this area. This might irk some of them, but I've never had a problem with any bad reactions.

The following distance lovers here are also often LLCers who open the door for everyone to pass on the right, thereby dropping further back as they slow more as a reaction to a car crossing within 300 feet of their bumper. Keep that to the right lane if one is so timid, or better yet, find a bus/taxi/rideshare. Licensing standards here are regrettable (oops, said something bad about Murka, maybe I should leave it? ;) )

IMO if one leaves their car to confront someone about a traffic slight, they might be asking to be hit or maybe worse. I love the videos where the confronting party ends up having their car door knocked off.

My prior cars kept a bit of it too, especially if they'd sit in the sun and outgas a little. Better than any air freshener. Of course, I don't eat in the car, and I keep it clean inside, which can only help.
    ruking1 said:

Indeed the 2014 MB GLK 250 BT still has the coveted “new” car smell after 5 years & 83,000 miles.👍🌲

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Two comments on recent topics:
    1. I’d change the brake fluid every two years. It’s cheap insurance.
    2. I have been extremely happy with FCP Euro for BMW and Mini parts- they are my go-to vendor for anything non-OEM. I use my BMW or Cincinnati Mini for anything that I want from the Mother Ship. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2019
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

First make sure you can make the turn or switch lanes, and when it is clear, you put on your signal. You do not, put on your signal, and then do a lane change.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG! You signal, so others know what you are attempting to do. You give them prior notice. Doesn't mean you can proceed, just means you show others what is your intent. Signaling after starting the maneuver is pointless and simply wrong. There is such a thing as signaling "too early", but the lady did the right thing by signaling. She just did the wrong thing by starting the lane change without making sure it was safe.

I respectfully disagree, though there are articles that probably back up either answer. It is hard to find proof, but, I am going by what my instructor who taught me how to teach driving told me.

The rules of the road are mostly designed to keep traffic flowing. If a car in front wants to move into my lane they should make sure they have enough space before putting on their turn indicator...it isn't up to me to try and figure out what they are going to do and when. I don't say to signal after you have started the maneuver. I say;
    *Check mirrors and over your shoulder if possible to see where you want to go is clear,
    *If it is clear, then put on your signal
    *Check again quickly to see a car didn't suddenly move into that space, and if clear make your lane change.

If you signal without checking to see you can move into a lane first....then you could make the driver in your blind spot panic. I get really annoyed when I am driving just behind someone one lane over, and they automatically turn on their signal indicator without checking.....do they see me? Are they just going to move into may lane? Will they be looking back to see if there is a car there before moving?

In the video, if the woman had looked back before signalling she probably wouldn't have attempted the turn. She is the person who puts on their signal and then thinks they have the right of way.

edited May 2019
    Signaling for lane change so called “earlier” is not grounds for a citation. Cutting a car closely behind IS cite able REGARDLESS of signaling/NOT. More importantly, close cutting a car can be dangerous.

In heavy, heavy traffic (LA County 405 freeway, Highways 101, 880, 680, Silicon Valley) signaling makes for a much smoother traffic flow & can allow for adjustable spacing & not making the car behind slow down to stop or speed up unnecessarily. Anecdotally, when signaling, the majority of the time people let you in.

One early Sunday morning in the Santa Barbara to Los Angeles, CA flow,I wanted to get out of the #2/4 lane going for a “Sunday drive” @ 80 mph. I signaled to get into the # 1/4 so called passing/fast lane. It was zipping along INXS of 86 mph in CLOSE spacing. It was obvious to me that trying to get into the # 1 lane at 86+ miles an hour with it’s close spacing & my my lane going 80 miles an hour would not be safe. I literally had to wait until about 35 to 40 cars passed and only after a LA County bomb disposal truck moving at the same speed created enough spacing behind to change lanes. I was then able to follow the LA County bomb disposal truck to LA.

Two comments on recent topics:
    1. I’d change the brake fluid every two years. It’s cheap insurance.
    2. I have been extremely happy with FCP Euro for BMW and Mini parts- they are my go-to vendor for anything non-OEM. I use my BMW or Cincinnati Mini for anything that I want from the Mother Ship. 

Thanks to the wisdom of the members I decided to ad brake fluid to the list of things I had done to the Ford after they repainted my hood this week. For good or bad you guys are an influence.

The sun just came out and when I pick it up I intend to give it a little workout.

edited May 2019
    Good point oldfarmer, now that the C250 and GLK are out of warranty or prepaid service.
    I didn't realize brake fluid should be done every 2 years...I thought it lasted a long time. And the last I ever heard automatic transmission fluid lasted for the life of the car, though that was when 100000 miles was the end of the life of almost all cars.

I hope Mike is making notes...he has never experienced having to do these things. ;)

edited May 2019
    European brake fluid (ATE, Pentosin, etc., app $ 14. per L, $45. per 5 L, DOT 4, in MB’s) is recommended to be changed at 4 years driving. 6 years is actually quite all right. I, personally will get mine changed at approximately the 6 year level. (@ app 108,000 miles) If there’s any doubt, they have test strips that can measure the amount of moisture in the brake fluid reservoir. Generally the system flush requires about 1 L (33.8 oz) of brake fluid. Labor is approximately half an hour, barring complications.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    henryn said:

I say go for it Mike, and more power to you!

I, for one, don't begrudge Mike his owning a nice car. Enjoy.
    I'm just jealous that he has held on to it for so long. Someone out in
    the used MB world is waiting for a nice CPO.

And I'm jealous I'm happy with my well-loaded Malibu.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited May 2019
    driver100 said:

I respectfully disagree, though there are articles that probably back up either answer. It is hard to find proof, but, I am going by what my instructor who taught me how to teach driving told me.

The rules of the road are mostly designed to keep traffic flowing. If a car in front wants to move into my lane they should make sure they have enough space before putting on their turn indicator...it isn't up to me to try and figure out what they are going to do and when. I don't say to signal after you have started the maneuver. I say;
    *Check mirrors and over your shoulder if possible to see where you want to go is clear,
    *If it is clear, then put on your signal
    *Check again quickly to see a car didn't suddenly move into that space, and if clear make your lane change.

If you signal without checking to see you can move into a lane first....then you could make the driver in your blind spot panic. I get really annoyed when I am driving just behind someone one lane over, and they automatically turn on their signal indicator without checking.....do they see me? Are they just going to move into may lane? Will they be looking back to see if there is a car there before moving?

In the video, if the woman had looked back before signalling she probably wouldn't have attempted the turn. She is the person who puts on their signal and then thinks they have the right of way.

I see the point about signaling possibly putting somebody in distress, so yes, I agree. First check, then signal, then start the maneuver. BUT I maintain you should never start turning before signaling, that was my point, perhaps I just misunderstood your previous point.

I agree, the lady is at primary fault here, she clearly violated the rules of the road, but the the dashcam guy seem to hell bent into closing the distance or was completely inattentive and oblivious to what was about to unravel. My biggest beef with him was he didn't even slow down at first contact, he kept plowing like nothing, no brakes. It takes fraction of a second to react to something like that, he didn't seem to care. He had a chance to avoid or minimize the collision and didn't even attempt to do that.

I never understood people who think just because they are in primary lane (they should be yielded to), they don't have to be prudent and avoid hitting somebody. A little courtesy and defensive posture could save us a lot of trouble, even if others are at primary fault.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Dino, I thought that was the point you were making.....not to start turning before signalling, and I agree.

In the video camera - guy did no defensive driving. If he had used my motto "think what the stupidest thing the other driver will do and then be prepared because there is a good chance he will do it" he would have been ready to stop.

If anyone is interested I thought this video was pretty good to show how to change lanes....it would be great for teaching a new driver. To change lanes he says 1. Check mirror, 2) turn on signal, 3) check over your shoulder, then move;
    https://youtu.be/mUnfbiEJytA

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I agree Driver... he made that accident worse than it needed to be.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    I thought it was funny that the young lady driving the black car got out and looked kind of aggressive until she realized her passenger didn't, then she decided to wait at the back of her car. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Anyone else get price drop deals from Edmunds every day? This one seemed pretty good;
    2016 Ford Fusion $18000
    Titanium 4dr Sedan w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
    Mileage:24,458 milesExterior: Interior

I thought it was funny that the young lady driving the black car got out and looked kind of aggressive until she realized her passenger didn't, then she decided to wait at the back of her car. :)

It looks like she had her cell phone in her hand when she got out of the car......I am thinking it was in her hand when she decided at the last minute to turn.
    We had friends.......he was driving when he was about 86 but his reaction time was very slow....I could see him running into her car because his reaction time was so slow.

edited May 2019
    What’s your opinion of this little device. Better than a paint depth meter? Worth 50 bucks?

https://paintspy.com/

What’s your opinion of this little device. Better than a paint depth meter? Worth 50 bucks?

Won't work on aluminum. Hoods and Ford F150?

driver100 said:

Dino, I thought that was the point you were making.....not to start turning before signalling, and I agree.

In the video camera - guy did no defensive driving. If he had used my motto "think what the stupidest thing the other driver will do and then be prepared because there is a good chance he will do it" he would have been ready to stop.

If anyone is interested I thought this video was pretty good to show how to change lanes....it would be great for teaching a new driver. To change lanes he says 1. Check mirror, 2) turn on signal, 3) check over your shoulder, then move;
    https://youtu.be/mUnfbiEJytA

The narrator never mentions about cutting in too closely to another car, taking up their assured clear distance they are trying to keep.

driver100 said:

Anyone else get price drop deals from Edmunds every day? This one seemed pretty good;
    2016 Ford Fusion $18000

Nope, I don’t get them. Are you thinking of buying a Ford?

Won't work on aluminum. Hoods and Ford F150?

Or fiberglass/plastic either. Good point.

My Malibu has an aluminum hood and I'll bet your Mustang has an aluminum hood. So that little diddy is not going to detect a repaint on a hood. My leSabres had aluminum hoods and the 92 had plastic front fenders.

edited May 2019

driver100 said:

2016 Ford Fusion $18000

Nope, I don’t get them. Are you thinking of buying a Ford?
    No, I usually get about 2 a day. I think when we were away and I was trying to get on this site with my tablet I somehow got into the car news section....and they send me notices of cars that have a special "price drop".

The Ford's I would consider would be an F-150 if I ever wanted a truck which is very doubtful, and I would like a Mustang if I was a single guy (not that I am expecting to be). I saw a guy park one at Costco and I thought what a beautiful looking car, and so nicely proportioned.

I would also consider if we had about a 6 car garage.