Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942

A broken clock is right twice in a day...

If the broken clock posts one hundred times, it does a little better than twice. ;)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,396
    All kidding aside, I'm not going to go for something just because it is cheap monthly

I can't say I blame you. Good thing is if it's sedan you want the deals are there. There are still great BMW deals, but not having loyalty really hurts in a 2 or 3 year lease (2,000 extra rebate)

Volvo seems to have Costco deals, and Infiniti continues to show strong lease support.

I wonder if there will be some killer deals on a Fusion sport come Sept / Oct. I could certainly live with one of those at the right payment even if it is slightly dated.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,555
    Good stuff coming in on y’alls lists. I can’t believe I forgot the GTI/GLI on mine, have to amend that.

When I pulled into the gym this afternoon a guy was cranking a Charger 392, wow, what a sound! Pretty metallic maroon color too.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• breldbreld Posts: 4,404
    kyfdx said:

A broken clock is right twice in a day...

If the broken clock posts one hundred times, it does a little better than twice. ;)
    Ahem...my post regarding that wagon: :p

I wouldn’t be surprised if that 328 wagon gets to low $20k’s. If it were an M Sport, I would say it’d be more likely, but having the sport package is still attractive.

2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Audi A5 - 2017 Miata RF

stickguy said:

now this is a nice looking BMW. to me, what they are supposed to be! i know it is unloved being a big bumper heavy smog car, but it seems pretty clean and is cheap enough. Someone with the ability to DIY the minor stuff can have a fun little around town toy. Or, do some real upgrades and have more fun romping on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-bmw-2002-87/

I like that a lot. I’m a BMW guy but I never understood the hate for big bumpers or square taillights on the 2002. This looks like a great weekender for a decent price.

tjc78 said:

Love the colors on that 2004 BMW. That alcantara steering wheel really took a beating. That can't be nice to hold anymore.

Easy fix. Over on zhpmafia there’s a vendor that can fix that right up for you or you can always convert to leather. I miss mine so much it hurts. Everybody has that car you wish you never let go and my ZHP is mine.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,041
    @au1994 - I can imagine so. A ZHP Coupe or Convert seems like a great all-around fun car assuming you don't have kids in car seats.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942
    If everyone keeps loving on the ZHP, I'll never be able to give mine up.. Had to pay property taxes on it, today. $70 for the ZHP. $530 for the X3.

That might keep me in it, for awhile. Especially since it's almost impossible to itemize, any more.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,558

My friend’s S4 made it 24 hours before dying. Oxygen sensor failed.  Can’t. Stop. Laughing. 

"Dying"??? An oxygen sensor does not strand you beside the road on a dark stormy night, it just sets the "check engine light".

I had to replace an O2 sensor on my 2016 T&C, no big deal.
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    Hey. I don’t make the news. I just report it. Apparently it failed, put the whole car into limp mode, and would not drive. 
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,623

Hey. I don’t make the news. I just report it. Apparently it failed, put the whole car into limp mode, and would not drive. 

Did he buy it at an Audi dealer? Are they telling him to pound sand? Hopefully they will take care of it.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

edited June 11
    I'm surprised no one else has addressed this. Basically, a failed O2 sensor will not put a car into "limp mode". This is "to the best of my knowledge", supplemented by a quick google search and 5 minutes of reading.

Certainly my T&C did not go into limp mode when the O2 sensor failed. And down through the years, I have helped quite a few with bad O2 sensors, and I do not recall any of them going into limp mode.

And "would not drive" does not compute. "Limp mode" is short hand for "limp home mode". The car will still drive, but you will have reduced power.

I suspect your "friend" misrepresented things.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,098
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

now this is a nice looking BMW. to me, what they are supposed to be! i know it is unloved being a big bumper heavy smog car, but it seems pretty clean and is cheap enough. Someone with the ability to DIY the minor stuff can have a fun little around town toy. Or, do some real upgrades and have more fun romping on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-bmw-2002-87/

I like that a lot. I’m a BMW guy but I never understood the hate for big bumpers or square taillights on the 2002. This looks like a great weekender for a decent price.
    I loved my 1975.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

henryn said:
    I'm surprised no one else has addressed this. Basically, a failed O2 sensor will not put a car into "limp mode". This is "to the best of my knowledge", supplemented by a quick google search and 5 minutes of reading. Certainly my T&C did not go into limp mode when the O2 sensor failed. And down through the years, I have helped quite a few with bad O2 sensors, and I do not recall any of them going into limp mode. And "would not drive" does not compute. "Limp mode" is short hand for "limp home mode". The car will still drive, but you will have reduced power. I suspect your "friend" misrepresented things.
    Not really looking to argue with you - he is a friend and given the pictures from the flatbed I don’t believe he was intentionally putting on a performance. Dealer replaced the O2 sensor and all was well. 

It was bought private party. 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,716
    I agree with what you guys are saying, but, at the same time .... Audi. Nuff said.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,853
    So far, our 2015 A3 has been flawless. She owns it and has almost 48K on the clock. I usually don't drive it, just easier that way. If something happens, better I'm not the one at the wheel. It's been much more reliable than my Golf though!
    Seriously, thinking of going back to "cheap to keep" come the end of the year. I like a warranty, so need to get something with a longish one and something that's under 175".

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

edited June 11
    Punch for me. But it isn’t a car and doesn’t have a motor. 

Think I mentioned that I WFH full-time and when we bought our house 18 months ago, the plan was to use the “formal” dining room as my office. Only problem was it wasn’t enclosed and I’ve just had things in the open. 

3 months ago we custom ordered a set of French doors to enclose the office that would allow us to retain the natural light we get through the window in that room and match the house like it was from new. 

May not seem like much, but trying to find doors to fit a nearly 8x8 opening is harder than you’d think. 

Voila: 

*if you’re curious, the plastic zip tie on the bottom left is part of the baby gate system. 
    edited June 11

henryn said:

I'm surprised no one else has addressed this. Basically, a failed O2 sensor will not put a car into "limp mode". This is "to the best of my knowledge", supplemented by a quick google search and 5 minutes of reading.

Certainly my T&C did not go into limp mode when the O2 sensor failed. And down through the years, I have helped quite a few with bad O2 sensors, and I do not recall any of them going into limp mode.

And "would not drive" does not compute. "Limp mode" is short hand for "limp home mode". The car will still drive, but you will have reduced power.

I suspect your "friend" misrepresented things.

Not really looking to argue with you - he is a friend and given the pictures from the flatbed I don’t believe he was intentionally putting on a performance. Dealer replaced the O2 sensor and all was well. 

It was bought private party. 

-==-=-=-=-=-=-=- end quoted material =-=-=-=-=-=-

It was not my intention to get into an argument, and if my statements appeared that way, then I apologize.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,242
    Looks great @28firefighter
    1997 Honda Prelude Base -2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL
    pensfan83 said:
    Can you make out the second picture in? My favorite city. 
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast IllinoisPosts: 143
    edited June 11
    I went to check out a 2016 Cayenne GTS, 2019 Cayenne S, and 2019 Macan S. I hated the 2016 Cayenne GTS. I felt that the 2019 Cayenne S was a ripoff and didn't handle much better than my Q8 or really much of anything else on that platform, but definitely better than the 2016 Cayenne. I really liked the Macan S. Are Porsches worth it?
    Two Mercedes plus an Audi, previously owned/leased BMWs, Volvos, and Volkswagens
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast IllinoisPosts: 143
    edited June 11

pensfan83 said:

Looks like Pittsburgh to me.
    Two Mercedes plus an Audi, previously owned/leased BMWs, Volvos, and Volkswagens
    pensfan83 said:
    Looks like Pittsburgh to me.
    Nailed it. 
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,242
    Nice!

Three Rivers Arts Fest is going on now, tomorrow I'm planning to take an actual lunch and wander over to the point.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base -2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,367
    nice looking doors. We have a similar set up (standard center hall colonial) where the "formal" LR is to the right as you come in the door, behind the stairs, with the opening, well, open. Useless room. We have a desk (and desktop PC) that we never use, and a couch that gets sat on at Thanksgiving maybe. Would be much better set-up like yours, with doors to create an office space. Even though it is probably 2x as big as it needs to be. If I was able to redesign it, I would make it a more compact office in the front, and add the rest to the family room that is behind it.

easier to just move of course and get what I want!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,666
    edited June 11
    kyfdx said:

Especially since it's almost impossible to itemize, any more.

Same, even though I file single--that's going to be a common refrain for a lot of the middle class. Really reduces the potential value of the mortgage interest deduction for a lot of people. On the other hand, my fixed interest rate on my primary residence is something like 3.75%, so not awful even if it's not deductible.

A lot of the state-specific deductions in our fair state's income tax got eliminated in 2018, too.

Looking at the last few years of my late, widowed, great-aunt's tax returns, she paid around $6-7,000 in federal taxes and close to zero state with an AGI of about $55,000 consisting of mostly taxable SS benefits, interest income, a pension, and some state tax-exempt bonds. My goal is zero fed and state tax by the time I stop working and draw SS... fortunately, I have quite a long time to plan that! :p
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,367
    my goal is to have so much money flowing in when I retire I need 2 accountants to keep track of it all. Sadly, I don't think that is likely to happen.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,666
    stickguy said:

my goal is to have so much money flowing in when I retire I need 2 accountants to keep track of it all. Sadly, I don't think that is likely to happen.

LOL, yes, obviously I want that with the zero taxes!
    Now now, @nyccarguy, I never said I was a Pittsburgh sports fan. I still bleed green.