Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Forums Feedback and Suggestions

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I just edited my profile! It works!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    Signed out and back in again, and can post pictures from MS Edge.

And, I can use the other pull down edit tools.

What's a Eunos?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Ah the dearly departed Polestar. So sad.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    So, deleted my cache and cookies in FF for the second time in an hour or so after what was working, stopped working again. Deleting those things means I had to sign in again, so that's done too. Let's try another test:

Nope, unresponsive pulldowns.

Not out of the woods yet.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited July 2019
    This is as good an explanation as I have, so revel in it...LOL

I know for a fact that the permission to edit profiles not working was related to the change to the single sign on system last August. I guess that permission needed to be rolled back to get through the process. KEYWORD: permission.

Thanks to you folks, I managed to finally notice that the unresponsive icons SEEMED to be related to your user level (member, moderator, admin) and I started poking people with that AHA. All the SETTINGS to allow image uploading and the like WERE enabled, but it turned out there was a permission missing, even though the setting was enabled. So a couple of hours ago, that got corrected and here we are, back to as normal as we might get. :)

Appreciate everyone hanging in there while we tried to figure out why the dome light was coming on when we turned on the radio!! B)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I’ve posted a few pics from my Samsung Galaxy 10+. Thank you for your efforts, very much appreciated.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited July 2019
    @ab348 posted that his Firefox on an office computer did not have pull down menus.
    I checked on my HP laptop--same result. All pull downs are unresponsive.

My chrome browser is working fine. Knock on wood.

EDIT: I went to Edge and signed in. It works.

@imidazol97 Thanks!
    sda said:

I’ve posted a few pics from my Samsung Galaxy 10+. Thank you for your efforts, very much appreciated.

Glad to hear it! Was just a strange thing with permissions. Now I think we're just into everyone getting devices clearing out the old, cached pages.

Still working on the Rich editor, which had nothing to do with the icon unresponsiveness. Still working on the image orientation issue (portrait orientation being displayed rotated 90 degrees) but once that gets cleared up, I imagine we'll get back to the new editor.

But I'll keep everyone posted.
    edited July 2019
    PF_Flyer said:

Glad to hear it! Was just a strange thing with permissions. Now I think we're just into everyone getting devices clearing out the old, cached pages.

I had mentioned "permissions" early in this problem when it became clear that hosts were getting a different result than the base users. I learned long ago with stylesheets and Microsoft that all kinds of funny things happen, funny as in strange, not humorous.

SUCCESS FIREFOX
    Firefox wouldn't work but Edge (yuk) and Chrome both do work. Firefox had worked earlier when the drop down menu choices for posting sources were working again. But was not working today when @ab348 noted that problem.
    I even started Firefox in clean mode where extra apps don't start. That didn't fix it.

I took @PF_flyer's suggestion and restarted computer. No joy with Firefox.
    Then I used both cleaners I frequently use, Cleanup! and CCleaner, on the computer.
    And Firefox is working just fine on all drop down menus.

I've just spent over an hour trying to get Firefox on my office Win 10 PC to work like it did after the great permissions discovery yesterday when dropdowns in the editor worked for a little while before stopping again. I have deleted history, cache and cookies, logged out and back in umpteen times, installed Firefox addons to manage cookies, cache and Java, looked at everything that runs on my PC upon startup, and installed the latest version of Firefox. Nothing has changed and I still have unresponsive dropdowns.

I give up.

I tried to do the same on my Microsoft Surface earlier today and experienced no functionality yet it worked fine yesterday.

I used to love FireFox and about 2.5-3 years ago it really started to get wonky on me and I've pretty much settled on Chrome almost exclusively. I have other browser but I pretty much only use the to see if things are behaving differently in different browsers
    I think what you're saying there is code for "use Chrome for the forums".

I am not a big fan of it but it seems that it is somewhat more reliable for this site at least.

Might not have been code for "use Chrome", but my wife is always asking my why her work computer is doing something odd, and then she tells me she's using FireFox and I ask why. :)

Sort of unrelated, we just got a new laptop for the house (the desktop system is MINE) and it had Windows 10 Home running in S-mode. They really try to sell you on keeping it in S-mode for "speed and security", but basically it means you can only use apps that come from the Microsoft store. My antivirus that I've used since the mid 90's would not install until I chose to opt out of S-mode and go to plain old Win 10 Home.

I like that Chrome ties in with my work setup and all that with Google drives and things. When my work computer got replaced a few months ago, all I had to do was turn it on and login and everything I'd normally need to recreate on a new computer simply were there, ready to go.

I MAY download FireFox again, simply to test things. But I just checked the analytics and the top 2 browsers in use to poke around Edmunds are, no surprise, Chrome and Safari, Chrome has about 20% more users than Safari. Interestingly, Edge and Internet Explorer users are a virtual tie just under 2.5% of all users, and FireFox is used by only 2% of our audience.

And that's today's Browser Wars Update B)
    Those browser user percentages are really interesting. I thought Firefox was much more popular than that. I really don't like the Safari browser at all from using it on the iPad and iPhone but I guess you have to be an Apple person to use it. Not particularly surprised by the IE and Edge numbers, IE used to be what we used at work and years ago was what I used before FF, but I hated it then and still. I never even bothered trying to use Edge since I took it to be just a new version of IE. But 93% for Chrome and Safari is really something. I guess I am out of step as usual. :worried:

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Well the trend is to build sites for Chrome instead of the web.

A couple years ago I complained to my bank that my Edge browser wasn't able to access their online site. They pleaded with me to dump Edge and go back to FF. Really. They even offered tech support if I didn't know how to do that!

But since then there's been a lot of "optimized for Chrome" development.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited July 2019
    Google IS kinda big ;)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    And now, the buttons above the comment box are no longer working for me, on MS Edge.

They are working with Chrome, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2019
    I'm sure it's the browser's fault. :laughing:

BTW, I'm posting this on my other Win10 PC that was working well here last night, and the pulldowns now aren't working on it in Firefox either. At least I know it's not a machine issue.

Just keep the reports coming...feels like we're down to browser type things, but every little bit of info has value
    Any insight as to WTH is going on with the pulldowns now? The pics and other pulldowns all started working again last night (hooray!!) and were still working earlier this AM, but now they are all non-responsive again. Win10/Firefox.

A quick çheck of my pulldown for graphics shows it is working on my android.

A quick çheck of my pulldown for graphics shows it is working on my android.

Oh, I have no doubt of that. It is bizarre how browser-dependent this software is. Still working on Chrome but not FF.

edited July 2019
    Everything is working on my Win 10+FF today. But yesterday or day before the pull down menus were not working for me. I switched to a different topic and found the text box menus were working fine on that topic.

So I typed my intended post with images + link into the second topic text box. Then I highlighted the whole mess, Right Click "cut" and pasted it into the first topic text box...where I originally tried to post to.

And it worked. :D
    Just checked now and the images are working again here in FF. No idea why.

@PF_Flyer

I tested FireFox on my HP laptop after @ab348's post of Firefox now working again.

I opened this topic. I clicked on the graphic post flydown arrow. Perfect. All choices there.
    I clicked on the Emotorcons. Perfect. Works.

I then typed in some text to say that I was using FireFox to post a pict from my local computer.

BUT my fly down menus don't work anymore. None of them on the top row work and neither does the diagonal arrow pair to expand the text box.

Is there something that changed once I started typing into the box... And then the pull down menus don't.
    Hmmmm.

Mine no longer work either, a couple of minutes later.

This software is the very definition of flaky. :(

edited July 2019
    Typing this now in Cars and Conversations text box because the pull down menus are not working here for me now in the Feedback topic. Not sure what's going on but I don't have to log out/in or switch away from my FF browser to Edge. I just click on another topic and the menu options suddenly work. :o
    I can even upload a pic in the Conversations topic...now to cut/paste back to Feedback topic.

Interesting observation about switching topics. That's basically a page refresh. I'm sure that's more of what's going on rather than the icons being responsive only in certain discussions

FireFox certainly seems flaky. All good stuff to add to the hopper!
    Keeping you up to date... just had a meeting with the forums software folks and discussed the "FireFox editor icons curse" and all the details you folks have provided on the icons working/not working. Your feedback is valuable and descriptions of the behaviors are extremely helpful in trying to corner the beast!

And the issues you all noticed with image orientation and image placement relative to text, emojis, etc. in the rich editor have been and are being addressed, so a big thanks for all your help there as well!

And now back to your regular programming...
    I'm a member of another much larger forum than this which is now in their 4th month of trying to convert to Vanilla. It is a total disaster. I'm surprised the site owners (who are also the moderators) haven't all just walked away from it. Slow to nonexistent responses to s/w changes requested from the vendor, and site traffic appears down significantly.

edited July 2019
    But overall with Vanilla the forum has experienced fewer problems than whatever platform the earlier version was on. I remember on the previous platform, Edmunds used not to work for hours at a time.

Now we're experiencing difficulty with posting features, but the text ability and ability to read the forums has worked. I too would like to see it work better.

I tried rebooting computer to see if Firefox would start working again like it did a few days back when I could work the pull down menus and then as soon as I entered text into the box, the durn menus quit working. But the menus just don't work.

Menu pull downs all working for me when I opened this topic but I did a refresh anyway and presto! the menus quit working.

Ctrl + F5 three more times and now pull down menus are back! :)

omarman said:

Menu pull downs all working for me when I opened this topic but I did a refresh anyway and presto! the menus quit working.

FireFox, correct?
    edited July 2019
    PF_Flyer said:

omarman said:

FireFox, correct?
    Yes. Win 10 + FireFox.

edit to add: Just repeated the same test. First opened this page this morning and all menus were working. I did a refresh and the the pull down menus did not work. Then again used Ctrl + F5 a few more times and the menu function came back. B)
    omarman said:

PF_Flyer said:

omarman said:

FireFox, correct?
    Yes. Win 10 + FireFox.

edit to add: Just repeated the same test. First opened this page this morning and all menus were working. I did a refresh and the the pull down menus did not work. Then again used Ctrl + F5 a few more times and the menu function came back. B)
    When I was finally able to replicate the issue, refreshing (or multiple refreshes) also worked for me. Helpful stuff!
    I tried many, many refreshes on mine and no joy, so it's not a universal fix.

No fix on the FireFox issues yet, gathering behaviors.
    For some reason my updated profile that includes our recent purchase of the Audi isn’t reflected. I made this change twice and, interestingly, the change shows when I access my sda profile. Have I missed a step?

Just for record, I rebooted. I fired up Firefox and nothing works for pull down menus.

I tried ctl f5. That seemed to restart Firefox, but nothing worked after that. So that repair is elusive like the problem, at least for me. I'm glad I like Chrome, despite Alphabet's massive info collection. I find Edge slow and awkward.

But I only used Firefox to install add ons to capture videos that Chrome wouldn't do because of their association with youtube and protecting youtube.

sda said:

For some reason my updated profile that includes our recent purchase of the Audi isn’t reflected. I made this change twice and, interestingly, the change shows when I access my sda profile. Have I missed a step?

Curious. I see the Audi in your profile as well, but not at the bottom of you post. Just thinking out loud, it COULD be that there's a defined space for display and that's what's cutting it off, but that's just guessing right now. I'll look into it and see what I can find!

Just for record, I rebooted. I fired up Firefox and nothing works for pull down menus.

I tried ctl f5. That seemed to restart Firefox, but nothing worked after that. So that repair is elusive like the problem, at least for me. I'm glad I like Chrome, despite Alphabet's massive info collection. I find Edge slow and awkward.

But I only used Firefox to install add ons to capture videos that Chrome wouldn't do because of their association with youtube and protecting youtube.

Yea, this definitely is a FireFox compatibility thing now. At least we have narrowed it down to that and Vanilla is doing testing with FF to try and rectify things. The hardest part, naturally, is going to be replicating the issue consistently so the fix can be figured. Kinda like when someone hears a noise in their car, and then it will never make it when a mechanic is looking at it! :)
    I started up Firefox on my wife's hp laptop. It installed a firefox update (an obnoxious habit firefox has of installing an update while you wait for the durn thing to open. Why not install updates when shutting down or asking first.

Everything WORKS. OOOOPs. Just like happened on my laptop a few days back, I typed into the text box, went to a website, used firefox's builtin screenshot generator to save a picture of a 2020 Corvette, NOW no pull downs.

That has to be a useful clue to what's going wrong.
    Firefox version shows as 65.0.2

I noticed despite firefox having updated whenstarted earlier, it showed in the help menu it wanted to update again but required a restart (of firefox) again. These updates are irritating.

But nothing works still on the pull down menues.

NEW
    I did notice that the text entry box remained OPEN after I clicked on the post button. The text posted to the forum, but the box was still full and didn't clear like it usually does when posting. I believe that happened yesterday with Chrome on my other laptop. Is that another glitch showing up not related to firefox?

After a certain amount of time while creating a post, a draft automatically gets saved in the forums. I think that's what you're seeing. If there's a draft saved, it will keep putting that text back in the comment box because it thinks you're still "working on it". When we were having a page load speed issue, I was getting drafts saved a LOT.

If you do have drafts saved, you'll see My Drafts added to your right side navigation choices

To get rid of drafts, click My Drafts and then click on the X you'll see when you hover over the draft

Notice how that draft was created while I was putting this post together :)

edited July 2019
    I agree it may be a draft, but it should have been cleared after I pushed Post Comment.

You may have hit on the problem, the drafts aren't being deleted when the working copy is
    posted to the forum. But they should be deleted.

I'll add it to the list of possibles! I think I've run into a "persistent" draft in the past, but I may have simply typed over it and then posted. That's a vague recollection...
    It’s hardly a big deal but my edit to my profile, deleting the Pilot and adding the Audi does not reflect except when I access my profile. I have signed out and back in to no avail. Oh, the fun of systems.