Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I don't think a dog person should ever get involved with a cat person. They'll fight like cats and dogs. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Back to cars, I posted this over in CCBA but it may also be of interest to some here. Automotive News reports that Ford has informed its dealers to fix those problematic Fiesta and Focus DSG automatic transmissions for free, apparently regardless of whether under warranty or otherwise:

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/ford-tells-us-dealers-repair-small-car-transmissions-free

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Take a look at today's Detroit Free Press. That offer apparently isn't exactly what it sounds.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited July 2019
    I think “Cats” was originally written as “Clowns” but they revised it because people are freaked at clowns.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    qbrozen said:

I was alive when Top Gun came out, and probably part of the target audience. However, I have never been able to sit through it. Have never been much of a Tom Cruise fan.

I agree except for his “Mission Impossible” films. I believe, as part of an ensemble cast, he does a great job.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

My ex wanted me to take her to see Cats on Broadway many years ago. I took her. To me, the worst waste of money I've ever spent.

Looking back, it should have been a sign of things to come.

Did anyone really like Cats....or do people think they have to say they liked it? I don't get it, and the cat suits in the movie look really creepy......scarier than Friday the 13th.
    Perhaps even scarier than what you look like in your super hero costumes! 🤪😜😝😛

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674

My ex wanted me to take her to see Cats on Broadway many years ago. I took her. To me, the worst waste of money I've ever spent.

That play is very popular with the “furries”, in fact I think it may have started that movement. If you don’t know what that is look it up as I might get booted if I described it further.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited July 2019
    ab348 said:

Back to cars, I posted this over in CCBA but it may also be of interest to some here. Automotive News reports that Ford has informed its dealers to fix those problematic Fiesta and Focus DSG automatic transmissions for free, apparently regardless of whether under warranty or otherwise:

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/ford-tells-us-dealers-repair-small-car-transmissions-free

Hard to tell whether that’s being a stand up company or enlightened self-interest to get ahead of lawsuits. Either way, it’s good news for owners.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

That play is very popular with the “furries”, in fact I think it may have started that movement. If you don’t know what that is look it up as I might get booted if I described it further.
    I never heard of a Furry before....you see, I learn something every day around here....although this was something I would rather not have known :o

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Did anyone really like Cats....or do people think they have to say they liked it? I don't get it, and the cat suits in the movie look really creepy......scarier than Friday the 13th.
    Perhaps even scarier than what you look like in your super hero costumes! 🤪😜😝😛
    At least it is a super hero costume and not a "Furry" costume like oldfarmer had to bring to my attention :s

• Options
    ab348 said:

I don't think a dog person should ever get involved with a cat person. They'll fight like cats and dogs. ;)

For the record, I have nothing against cats the animals, it is only the play that I wish I could unsee.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I think the music is what draws people to Cats. I mean Mister Mistoffelees and Memories are such good tunes. :)B)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I think the music is what draws people to Cats. I mean Mister Mistoffelees and Memories are such good tunes. :)B)

When someone actually refers to the Cats by name I get worried :o

• Options
    Looks like Ford isn’t the only company that has screwed up:

https://youtu.be/2ZMfbbc86AY

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    I remember an old CSI TV show with a murder at a "Furry" convention, real freak show.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Nevada's information about HOV lanes does not technically mention whether a dead body counts as a passenger. The law mentions qualifying vehicles for HOV lanes as those "transporting more than one person."

However, Police in Nevada have confirmed you do, in fact, have to be alive to be counted as a passenger in a car.

Yes, but Police don't have the power to interpret laws. That's the Court's/Judges responsibility. However, the Police do get to ENFORCE the laws as they interpret them, but it might not hold up, and no one likes having their cases thrown out or overturned, except maybe traffic court judges.
    Two things, first is how is it defined in the law? If it's not defined in the law itself then the courts will use the common definition in use at the time the law was written. My Webster's dictionary defines person as a living human being.

Secondly courts have already determined that persons have to be in their own separate seat. Hence Mrs. Andres sitting on your lap or your kidnapped victim locked in your trunk wouldn't count as a second person.
    I think Webster's is unique in that definition including "live" in "person." Either way, there's defintely disagreement among Dictionary writers.

When you say "courts have already determined" which State(s) are you referring to, and how high of a Court? The State Supreme Court could always overturn it, let alone the Federal one.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I first heard of furries in an episode of Entourage. haha.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Seems Ford knew about the faulty transmissions;
    The memo, first reported by the Detroit Free Press, followed a July 11 report by the newspaper that said Ford knew about the transmission defects yet sold them anyway.

Automotive News reported this month that former Ford CEO Mark Fields has been called to testify in ongoing litigation surrounding the troublesome gearboxes, which have haunted the automaker for years.

Ford reached a settlement in 2017 in a class-action lawsuit covering 1.9 million owners

Now Nissan admits their cars have transmission problems, shaking, stalling, hesitating etc.

And, some people wonder why I would pay extra to buy a quality MB, BMW or Audi. They may have a problem, but, it seems they find a cure, and I have never been exposed to actual poor workmanship.

One note.....you may recall the Audi with the clutch that gave out. It may have been a fault with the car, but, I now think there is an extremely good possibility the SIL may have been taking it out and tried to drive a standard...or tried to teach his kid how to drive one. I think that is more possible than a transmission fault. I have changed my mind lately, and I am going to give Audi the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Was at a car show last weekend.....mostly British iron. Saw a guy pull up in a Stinger GT. We started talking as we were looking around at the different MGs, Triumphs, etc.

I told him I almost pulled the trigger on a Stinger last year. He said he loved the car, but hated the service.

He said he has some build quality and material quality issues with the car, but has had to fight tooth and and nail with 3 different KIA dealers to get them fixed. That was the one thing that kept me from buying one.....the dealerships that sold them.

Still....he showed me his...the grey ceramic metallic exterior and red interior.....super sharp car.

I think 100% of Kia Stingers have build and material quality issues, but that's just me at the price tag they are asking for it. Others opinions may vary.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    I’ve seen more Kia Tellurides which were just introduced than I have Stingers. I did see a white Stinger a couple of days ago and it looks distinctive in a good way.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    driver100 said:

The memo, first reported by the Detroit Free Press, followed a July 11 report by the newspaper that said Ford knew about the transmission defects yet sold them anyway.

Automotive News reported this month that former Ford CEO Mark Fields has been called to testify in ongoing litigation surrounding the troublesome gearboxes, which have haunted the automaker for years.

Ford reached a settlement in 2017 in a class-action lawsuit covering 1.9 million owners

Now Nissan admits their cars have transmission problems, shaking, stalling, hesitating etc.

And, some people wonder why I would pay extra to buy a quality MB, BMW or Audi. They may have a problem, but, it seems they find a cure, and I have never been exposed to actual poor workmanship.

One note.....you may recall the Audi with the clutch that gave out. It may have been a fault with the car, but, I now think there is an extremely good possibility the SIL may have been taking it out and tried to drive a standard...or tried to teach his kid how to drive one. I think that is more possible than a transmission fault. I have changed my mind lately, and I am going to give Audi the benefit of the doubt.

Don’t be so kind to Audi. Your buddy Scotty Kilmer has a video which names one Audi model (particularly the standard shift version) as on the list of the worst cars ever made. He lumped the Audi stick in with several CVT clunkers.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    The owner/main dance instructor where my kids took dance lessons was in the cast of Cats.
    Didn't really like her, but she did provide the kids with some great opportunities to perform through her connections.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

The owner/main dance instructor where my kids took dance lessons was in the cast of Cats.
    Didn't really like her, but she did provide the kids with some great opportunities to perform through her connections.

Allergic?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    @oldfarmer50,
    Sort of forgot about that movie, although an interesting premise.
    Kind of overkill shooting down that one plane with a missile.
    I'm pretty sure Carlos Hathcock could have shot one down with a rifle.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    qbrozen said:

I first heard of furries in an episode of Entourage. haha.

They have their convention in Pittsburgh every summer. Quite a sight if you find yourself near the the convention center. I've been barked at and sniffed. Awkward.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    The furry convention was in Pittsburgh at the convention center around the time I took the bar exam. Wasn't distracting at all.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Great, now you can say you know one of the actresses who played a cat. :p

• Options

The furry convention was in Pittsburgh at the convention center around the time I took the bar exam. Wasn't distracting at all.

How boring does your life have to get that you want to get dressed up and go to a furry convention?
    Now a Halloween Party, I can understand.

• Options

driver100 said:

Don’t be so kind to Audi. Your buddy Scotty Kilmer has a video which names one Audi model (particularly the standard shift version) as on the list of the worst cars ever made. He lumped the Audi stick in with several CVT clunkers.
    If I had to bet....I would bet the SIL did it.
    Hard to damage a clutch through normal driving in 14k miles.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    driver100 said:

How boring does your life have to get that you want to get dressed up and go to a furry convention?
    I can't. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

@oldfarmer50,
    Sort of forgot about that movie, although an interesting premise.
    Kind of overkill shooting down that one plane with a missile.
    I'm pretty sure Carlos Hathcock could have shot one down with a rifle.

Carlos could have nailed the pilot without damaging the plane.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

The Germans have a natural biased negative view of Americans' abilities to drive a manual/standard transmission correctly. Some skepticism on Audi's part doesn't surprise me. Not saying it's right, but they obviously snicker at our driving skills.
  • Options
    @sda,
    I think the Telluride looks like what the Cadillac XT6 should have looked like.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

The Germans have a natural biased negative view of Americans' abilities to drive a manual/standard transmission correctly. Some skepticism on Audi's part doesn't surprise me. Not saying it's right, but they obviously snicker at our driving skills.
    But driver100 is Canadian and they still gave him the stiff arm.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Nevada's information about HOV lanes does not technically mention whether a dead body counts as a passenger. The law mentions qualifying vehicles for HOV lanes as those "transporting more than one person."

However, Police in Nevada have confirmed you do, in fact, have to be alive to be counted as a passenger in a car.

Yes, but Police don't have the power to interpret laws. That's the Court's/Judges responsibility. However, the Police do get to ENFORCE the laws as they interpret them, but it might not hold up, and no one likes having their cases thrown out or overturned, except maybe traffic court judges.
    Two things, first is how is it defined in the law? If it's not defined in the law itself then the courts will use the common definition in use at the time the law was written. My Webster's dictionary defines person as a living human being.

Secondly courts have already determined that persons have to be in their own separate seat. Hence Mrs. Andres sitting on your lap or your kidnapped victim locked in your trunk wouldn't count as a second person.
    I think Webster's is unique in that definition including "live" in "person." Either way, there's defintely disagreement among Dictionary writers.

When you say "courts have already determined" which State(s) are you referring to, and how high of a Court? The State Supreme Court could always overturn it, let alone the Federal one.
    Well courts are very reluctant to overturn another courts decision unless there is an overwhelming reason to do so. Therefore its unlikely to be changed unless a state legislature addresses the issue. As for Federal courts getting involved, pursuant to the 10th amendment any federal court would pass on this issue.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I think unfortunately that more and more of our legal system and courts are about political affiliations. I mean, the press can usually guess right on how a judge or justice rules just based on whether they are liberal or conservative. There don't seem to be moderates anymore.
  • Options

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Canadian drivers fall under the USA/American umbrella.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

He got you that time snake! ;)

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100: How boring does your life have to get that you want to get dressed up and go to a furry convention?

I can't. :o

jmonroe
    So you need to go to a furry convention to get your kicks?

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    While handsome, the Stinger is just too Optima-ish in style (IMHO, of course). That may give some buyers pause.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    driver100 said:

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

He got you that time snake! ;)
    Are you saying that oldfarmer and I are one in the same? How dare you insult oldfarmer like that.

• Options
    Today got off to a bit of a rough start.
    Took the Mustang out for a short ride, but couldn't get garage door to shut using the opener.
    Using the inside button, it would only close if I held the button until the door was completely closed.
    Took a look at the sensors and the red one was out.
    Sometimes they can be reset, so I looked around online for a bit.
    Cleaned the lenses of the green and red sensors, no luck.
    Unplugged garage door and took wires off the red sensor and reattached, then plugged in garage door opener.
    Red one now blinking, green one out!
    Unplugged garage door and took wires off the green sensor and reattached, then plugged in garage door opener.
    No change. Guess I'm going to call 'The Guy' to fix the sensors and check out the door in general, as it is 20 years old.
    A while later, I decided to water some of the outside plants.
    While walking by the door, take a look at the green sensor and it is lit with a steady green and red is also on.
    Opened the door using the inside button, pulled car in and closed it using the remote n the car.
    I guess it just took a few minute for everything to reset.
  • Options
    Where were you 50 years ago today?

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734

Going to the moon, Alice!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

50-years ago I remember taking my wife to a drive-in movie when we heard the Eagle had landed on the moon. I don’t remember the name of the movie we saw, but at least I still remember what my wife’s name was! 😁😋🤪

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I was 12 years old when the moonwalk occurred and I remember watching it on TV at home with my parents late at night. Something tells me that we might have rented a color TV for the occasion - something I convinced the parents to do from time to time when there were big events like the World Series or the Stanley Cup finals, before we got our own color set a couple of years later. Of course all of the live shots from the moon were black and white so the only color that night was from the CBS set with Cronkite.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Wasn’t even a thought yet!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I was 8 at the time, IIRC we were at a picnic hosted by my dads companies credit union. There was someone there with a small TV somehow hooked up to their cars power watching the coverage leading up to the landing. Later that night we stayed up to watch the actual landing.

Later that week my grandfather told me when I'm his age they will be walking on Mars. Well they better hurry up.