Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    edited August 2019
    So the Tiguan has a big lead out the gates on being the next punch. The significant other likes the punch of the 2.0T, the transmission, the drive, the ride, the extra size and ride height. The SEL lacks Fender Audio but has just about everything else a person could want.

She loves the new ICE SILVER color (think a very light Nardo Gray), with the Slate Blue (State Blue?) running in 2nd place. She likes the lighter gray colored interior seats and leatherette as opposed to all black on black on black. She says she'd like AWD, but I'm not sure it'll get used much by her, but certainly I wouldn't hesitate to turn the Tiguan into an off-roader with 4-Motion. The R-Lines have 19" wheels, too big. The SEL's have 18", that's plenty big.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,983

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,749
    qbrozen said:
    No mileage? :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,679
    120K miles, and an accident on the carfax.

DO you feel lucky punk?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

120K miles, and an accident on the carfax.

DO you feel lucky punk?

Seems cheap for an E500 wagon, still...

I have a 2006, and 124K miles.... which I consider low mileage.
    I'd guess 80% of 2006 model cars have a Carfax ding. Not sure that hurts the price of a $7K car.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    @andres3 - I'll be interested to hear your experiences with the Tiguan if that's what you end up with. I like this new model.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    Looks like 120K miles. Price is average, nice color combo, seller has good pics. Uncommon, but a search finds a dozen or so on the market for that year. I see a couple options, the rear window shades are unusual. I believe airmatic, as shown in the pics, was standard (along with leather), and all E500s were 4Matic. The rear oddball that year would be an E55 wagon, which still trades many times higher than a non-tuned model.

• Options
    rrsafetyrrsafety Member Posts: 38
    benjaminh said:

rrsafety said:

But if you love your current car and there's nothing significant wrong with it why not keep it? A Lexus is built to last, and maybe it has 300k miles in it? Another used car to consider might be a used Acura RLX, which is about the same size as an LS400.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give a 430 a spin and see what I think. With my 400 I need timing belt and struts and spark plugs and that's pushing near $3k so I'm getting cold feet. Of course, that is with a local dealer so maybe I need to find an independent guy I could trust now that the price of repairs is getting to be a bigger factor in my keeping it.
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ Andries three, that sounds like a good choice that the wife is interested in keep us updated on at all, and happy Friday everybody.
  • Options
    @ send man, good to hear from you, how’s everything been going with you the wife and her family?
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    4 months left on the X1. Starting to get lease end reminder notifications from BMW.

There is very little that piques my interest with them right now - even if I could get a "hacker" deal on one.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    one of the pluses to leasing. branch out and try something new!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,207
    Just drive the Saab more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @ 28 firefighter, and @ stick guy, I agree and what’s the guy said above where comes to leasing branch out and try something new that you never tried before I would be the same way. Unfortunately a lot of family over here is stubborn and boring I want to stick with the same brand over and over and over. Hopefully maybe next week I’ll get to go with my dad and look at a used Sorrento I found for him at a local dealer. It’s the SXL top top-of-the-line one which is rare to find it’s nice so we’ll see either that or I was talking to him about starting to look for a good lease deal but I don’t think he wants to be bothered with that. Also have to help the neighbor lease new car Soon, I think Peter CRVE goes back at the end of September so I told him we have to get moving and just test drive some stuff, and is it wrong I told him don’t worry about numbers unless you really like the car after test driving it, I said why talk numbers before you test drive a car doesn’t make sense you might not like it have to be happy with the car.g soon, I think Peter CRVE goes back at the end of September so I told him we have to get moving and just test drive some stuff, and is it wrong I told him don’t worry about numbers unless you really like the car after test driving it, I said why talk numbers before you test drive a car doesn’t make sense you might not like it have to be happy with the car.
  • Options
    I am this week - weather is supposed to be mostly clear. I'm also looking at a set of satin finished OEM viggen wheels on some newer rubber for $400 tomorrow. Would make a big difference in terms of appearance to have the wheels taken care of. Also need to get it in for an oil change.
  • Options
    @28FF nice. On The above
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407

4 months left on the X1. Starting to get lease end reminder notifications from BMW.

There is very little that piques my interest with them right now - even if I could get a "hacker" deal on one.

The M2C is the only new BMW I'd want.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Not sure my wife is going to make it another 2 years+ before wanting a car. I detailed up the RDX today (always needs it after a week at the beach) and it shined up nice, and even cleaned the filthy wheels so they are shiny. but she noticed the assortment of scratches are still there, and I noticed when cleaning the seats that the bolsters are showing some wear spot. So, runs strong, miles still reasonable, but definitely not new any more!

not in the budget yet though. So, she can just live with it for commuting duties, and will continue to use the TLX when together. I was chatting with her earlier about the TLX and maybe keeping it and trading hers in, but I don't think we are likely to do that (and definitely don't want 2 payments).

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    After having 1-2 car payments for as long as I can remember, having both cars paid for was liberating and satisfying. We are back to one car payment and as much as I’d like to also have a different car one payment is plenty. A huge plus, my wife is smitten with the Q5.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    we had no payments off and on for a while. That kinda went out the window when the 2nd one hit college, but hope to get back to that soon. Well, within 5 years!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,207
    stickguy said:

we had no payments off and on for a while. That kinda went out the window when the 2nd one hit college, but hope to get back to that soon. Well, within 5 years!

Have always had at least one payment since getting married. Often two, and for a brief time, three (yikes!)

Hoping to get to zero payments soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,962
    Same here, two then one for awhile (was nice when kids were first born). Now we have two and it’s going to be that way for a long while!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    we would have one, then pay it off early so none until I got antsy. Normally never 2. For a while I bought 3 YO used, and paid cash. we somehow went off the rails with the princess in college and ended up with 3 (2 leases). that was ugly. Now down to 1, since she is on her own and wife's car is long since paid off. We hope to not ever go to 2 again. But ya never know!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,137
    Whether multiple payments or none, they are all just spending decisions overall. If you have multiple payments it seems likely you chose that versus spending on other things. If you don't have any payments that too was a decision to use the funds on something else, be it other spending, debt reduction (i.e. past spending) or savings (future spending). It's like the guy in the old Fram filters commercial said, "You can pay me now, or pay me later."

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    In the past 15 years I think I was without a payment for maybe 4 years and change. During those times the cars needed maintenance, so it wasn't a completely free ride, but maybe cheaper than the leasing addiction. I keep telling myself "next time I will buy and settle down long term", good luck.
  • Options
    No payment from 2014-2017..

I think that is our only dry spell since I was married in 1993.

But, the payment on my wife's car is only because they offered 0%/72 month financing, with no bonus for not taking it.. Otherwise I would have paid cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    really need to get off the leasing train if want to ever be payment free. Wifes next car will be a purchase, but I doubt we are paying cash. Probably a chunk down and a short term loan (3 years max, pay it off in 2, something like that). then keep it until 10 years old!

• Options
    I don’t see a reason to leave the lease train unless I can’t get what i want. I’d rather have fixed costs and depreciation on a depreciating asset.

• Options
    sat in a new GLI today at the dealer. 35th anniversary addition. White, with a stick. Nice car. Really liked the seats too. Plenty of cushion tilt and thigh support, even with manual seats. Pretty similar overall to the kids R Line (but I am sure a whole lot quicker).

We were at dealer having her new NJ plates put on (since she relocated back from Deleaware). Did the DMV stuff today, got new plates, and it needed a front bracket so just took it over to dealer to do. Common activity for them..

while there, also saw a new Aereton (sp?) Really nice inside, and impressive style. But it better be nice for $45k+

• Options
    Yeah, my problem isn't the money, really, as much as that I like driving something new and different every so often. Even though the current ATS is a purchase (also with 0% financing), all other things being equal I can see myself getting something different in a couple of years.

• Options
    Maybe @breld wants to dip his toe into the Civic Type R pool again.

Though given the price, perhaps not.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/honda/civic/2299468.html

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    Looks like a dreamer to me.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    stickguy said:

sat in a new GLI today at the dealer. 35th anniversary addition. White, with a stick. Nice car. Really liked the seats too. Plenty of cushion tilt and thigh support, even with manual seats. Pretty similar overall to the kids R Line (but I am sure a whole lot quicker).

We were at dealer having her new NJ plates put on (since she relocated back from Deleaware). Did the DMV stuff today, got new plates, and it needed a front bracket so just took it over to dealer to do. Common activity for them..

while there, also saw a new Aereton (sp?) Really nice inside, and impressive style. But it better be nice for $45k+

I just wish the GLI 35th had a sunroof like the R Line.

• Options
    I wish we got the Canadian version of the 35th Anniversary edition. Which is an autobahn with Nav, DCC, and the 35th trim and design bits.
  • Options
    at least with 2 cars (at least!) in the family, more chance to rotate variety. though my plan is when my car goes back, buy the wife whatever she wants to drive the next 10 years,then when I recover from the shock of doing that, find myself some kind of toy to go along with the RDX.

• Options
    I think the Accord will go to my daughter when the TL has done its duty. I will get something for me, which will probably be another sedan, Accord, TLX, Mazda 6.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019
    sda said:

After having 1-2 car payments for as long as I can remember, having both cars paid for was liberating and satisfying. We are back to one car payment and as much as I’d like to also have a different car one payment is plenty. A huge plus, my wife is smitten with the Q5.

++++

But since this is CCBA, I'll try to make a pitch that I'm 99.99% sure is going to fail....

A 2013 Accord EX in good shape might be worth c.$12k on a trade-in? If so, 3k might be used to start a lease on a 2019 Acura TLX, and then you could put 9k or so into savings. Imho you'd enjoy the 4-wheel steering, the added power, the quieter ride, the handling, adaptive cruise control, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, and esp. the ELS sound system. Because of the incredible $9k in lease incentives on this model monthly payments might be close c.$300 or so? And the mpg can be pretty good in a TLX as illustrated by this rare but possible 30+ mile trip mostly on the Interstate at c.70 mph with the AC on where my TLX got 40 mpg.

OK. Now that I've failed, you can go back to the virtuous good life with your Accord—which will probably last another 15 years!+++

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Leases on the TLX are not at $300 without significant cap reduction. The $9k in incentives is hurt by a seriously bad residual and high money factor.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019

Leases on the TLX are not at $300 without significant cap reduction. The $9k in incentives is hurt by a seriously bad residual and high money factor.

You are right.

But this base model 2019 TLX has an advertised lease at my local Acura dealer of less than $300 month with $2k down, but it is a weird low-mileage lease with 7500 a year, and so a more reasonable 10-12k would cost more. But most Acura dealers probably are willing to do almost whatever it takes to get you into one, including giving a good value on a trade-in. The low residual is a benefit imho, since I'm hoping to be able to buy my car which had a c. $38k msrp for c.$18.5k when my lease is up.

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/newspecials.html

"2019 Acura TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS

Lease for $239/mo. for 36 months

$1,999 due at signing, $0 security deposit

Acura Conquest/Loyalty Lease. Available to current owners of a 2009 or newer Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln or Mercedes Benz vehicle. Plus tax, title, license, dealer processing fee. Offer Expires 8/31/2019"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    That’s a net 0 down (but not including drive offs) and $294+tax. Likely you’d have $1000 to $1500 in driveoffs depending on location.

TLX Tech (4 cyl) is leasing in the mid 300s assuming a 10% discount before rebates. V6 Tech/A-Spec and AWD in the 400s. Still a great car.

To me, the bargain would be if you could immediately buy out the lease and have them not charge you for the interest on remaining payments. Then you could take advantage of the lease cash and purchase with a lower interest rate.
  • Options
    IMO you don't want the base TLX. Need to go at least to tech (the A spec is just a tech with the "sporty" extras added on).

Mine was early in the model year, so I imagine the incentives are better now, but off an MSRP of ~40k, my cap cost was ~33k. I think the residual was an even 50%, so my buy-out option is right around $20k.

no clue what it would cost me to buy now (or what it would have been 1-2 months in). I don't plan to ask! at the end, I will decide if I want to buy it out, but I suspect, if I stick to my usual low miles, it could be a good buy at 3 YO with barely over 20,000 miles, and (hopefully) in impeccable condition! Just depends on if that is the car I want to commit to living with for the next decade!

• Options
    ran the plan past the wife at dinner. In 2 years and a few months, we go shopping and look at every near or luxury compact to mid-sized CUV. Lots of test drives, and she can pick out whatever she wants to drive, and keep another 10 years. I will just keep the RDX, and then go shopping for a fun/toy car of some kind to go with it, and use in nice weather. Just not sure we will be able to get in and out of anything too fun (low) at that point!

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Can she frame that statement “she can pick out whatever she wants” and show it to you in two years? :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,290

Bought a set of OEM Viggen Wheels finished in Satin Black sitting on nearly new Cooper Zeon tires.

Which model of Zeon? Could be the same I have on my G37.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,468
    corvette said:

Bought a set of OEM Viggen Wheels finished in Satin Black sitting on nearly new Cooper Zeon tires.

Which model of Zeon? Could be the same I have on my G37.
    Are you happy with those? I’m definitely going to need a set. My Hankook Ventus S1 Nobles are quickly turning into racing slicks.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Cooper Zeon RS3-a I think.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407

Cooper Zeon RS3-a I think.

I ran those year round on my X3 and as winter tires on the MS3. I was very happy with them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    well, she could get one now. but doesn't want to spend the money/take on the payment. Plus, doesn't want to get rid of the RDX which that would require.

maybe next year when we finish paying off the last of the college related expenses, all the money going toward that will burn a hole in her pocket!

but pretty sure, unless something goes wrong (she has zero tolerance now for a car stranding her) we will stay the course.

• Options
    I have Cooper's on my RDX. Really good tires so far.