Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2019
    This morning I heard that the most stolen autos were Chargers with the Hemi engine. The second most stolen were Hellcats. This is based on the percent of the vehicles of that type that were registers that were reported stolen--not the raw numbers.

Maybe this explains why many of the cars that are speeding much over the limit on the interstates are Chargers. They must be fun to drive.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited August 2019
    We are back from our trip to Secaucus.
    It's going to be a Jmonroe(1) length post.
    Took the old GMC and a few miles before the before NY state line, the low coolant light came on.
    My BIL said engine temp is still ok, but a mile or so later it started rising.
    We pull off at the next exit at a gas station to get some coolant.
    My BIL jumped out to run in the store and get some.
    A few seconds later, I opened the passenger door and as I was closing it, a cloud of sweet smelling steam came out from near the wheel.
    I called out to him, so he turned around, came back and opened the hood.
    There was a stream of coolant pouring out of one of the heater core hose connections.
    He found a set of channel locks and a screw driver and when the coolant stopped coming out, pulled the hose off the heater core.
    I went in the store and bought some coolant. He took the adapter off the heater hose and put the hose on the nipple to the heater core, and it fit perfectly.
    Unfortunately, the screwdriver was too large to tighten the clamp.
    I gave him the dime I got back as change from buying the coolant and he was able to tighten the clamp with it.
    We, actually he(I was spilling to much from trying to put it in from the wrong angle) put in the coolant and the light went off, we are good to go!
    About a block later, the coolant light came back on, so we stopped at another gas station.
    Hose connection was fine, so he bought 2 more gallons of coolant.
    It took both, but everything was ok after that and we competed the trip with no other issues, other than traffic.
    Garden State worked out just fine, and other than being longer than going over the GWB, a much better ride.
    My nephew has a pretty nice apartment in an older home, including garage space, and the neighborhood is kept up very well.
    He is 3 blocks from the train to get into NYC(he doesn't work there) and less than 5 miles from MetLife stadium.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    berri said:

You guys are forgetting cow farts B)

Yeah but that can be solved by installing cattlelitic converters.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    would you also put them on a Moo-ving van?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564

This morning I heard that the most stolen autos were Chargers with the Hemi engine. The second most stolen were Hellcats. This is based on the percent of the vehicles of that type that were registers that were reported stolen--not the raw numbers.

Maybe this explains why many of the cars that are speeding much over the limit on the interstates are Chargers. They must be fun to drive.

I’ve driven a few Challengers with the 6.4L Hemi that were a hoot to drive. I understand those are still pushrod designs which gives them great low end torque.

Your information gives new meaning to the phrase “drive it like you stole it”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Today's Chick Fil A surprise. I thought @Driver100 might have been visiting Ohio. The tennis tournament in Mason is going on and I know @driver100 and spouse like tennis.

I get some of the uniforms confused: superman, batman, spiderman, etc....

Is that a Mercedes I see out in the parking lot?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,164

97.3872% of all numbers reported on the internet and//or in the press are made up. Otherwise, bring the supporting data and assumptions.
    Yeah, right.

All statistics are made up, including this one I just made up. :laughing:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Roadburner on his way to work.

https://youtu.be/Zep6aJvjGrY

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I took the M340i back today. I was reminded back in 1991 when I drove the then all new E36 325i. It was fast and fun, and when I got back behind the wheel of my 1987 535is it felt slow and ponderous. I was afraid that might happen again when I drove my M235i, but fortunately that was not the case. In fact, I still prefer the overall feel of the 2 Series. I'm sure it would be equally quick with the M Performance locking differential. Now, having said all that, there were a few things about the M340i that I liked better, but it was mostly down to some of the minor electronic features, such as the SiriusXM display, the layout of the home screen, and the glass cockpit.I'd also add that the M340i xDrive is one of only a few AWD cars that I could see owning as my "fun" car- the others being the M5, the X5M, the X3 M40i, and the STI.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Close- but it's actually more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz2rAgXjkCA

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Close- but it's actually more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz2rAgXjkCA
    You seem to spend your time driving in circles. You must be late for work often.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    edited August 2019
    For those that don’t follow CCBA

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4011/general/x/chronic-car-buyers-anonymous/p3172

Have to scroll down a few posts for mine.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    tjc78 said:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4011/general/x/chronic-car-buyers-anonymous/p3172

Hey all! Punch is official!

2019 S60 T6 Inscription
    Crystal White over Blond

How come we get it 2nd hand?
    Is this the car of which we are speaking?

I saw one from the rear a few days ago and it looked really nice on the road....I wondered what it was, now I know.
    Congratulations.....great car.....change your signature.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Today's Chick Fil A surprise. I thought @Driver100 might have been visiting Ohio. The tennis tournament in Mason is going on and I know @driver100 and spouse like tennis.

I get some of the uniforms confused: superman, batman, spiderman, etc....

Those rumors are not true, that must have been a wannabe Driver! Maybe it was JMonroe.

We are back from our trip to Secaucus.
    It's going to be a Jmonroe(1) length post.
    Took the old GMC and a few miles before the before NY state line, the low coolant light came on.
    My BIL said engine temp is still ok, but a mile or so later it started rising.
    We pull off at the next exit at a gas station to get some coolant.
    My BIL jumped out to run in the store and get some.
    A few seconds later, I opened the passenger door and as I was closing it, a cloud of sweet smelling steam came out from near the wheel.

You may win the JMonroe longest post award for the month!
    I forget where this truck originated.....was it your BIL's.
    I don't like unreliable cars....I have wasted enough hours of my life getting them back on the road.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    There have been some recent posts about Amazon and the manner in which they do business. I don’t use them often, but when I do, I have been quite satisfied with the company. I purchased a pair of walking shoes recently and an electric razor - both of which were 20% below the cost of any retail sources and because I am a Prime Member (I use their Prime Video Service which is included with Prime), there is no shipping or handling charges and I get the products the next day.

This morning I was using my Thermofore (moist heating pad) for my back which I use all the time. While holding down the spring-loaded switch, it short-circuited and “died”! It was 30 years old. Since I have to have the Thermofore on my back several hours every day, I gave Amazon a look-see. They had a 14”x14” Thermofore for $55.00, tax included with next day shipping. It usually sells for $70.00 at Walgreens. So I ordered it and got shipping confirmation already. That is outstanding service and pricing.

I could have driven over to buy one, but why should I? I saved $20.00 and didn’t have to go shopping for it. Yes, they are slowly but surely gaining more and more market share at the expense of retailers - but if I save money and don’t have to go shopping (which I hate), then I will patronize them.

I would love to have all my foodstuffs delivered, but it costs 20-25 percent more than if I shop myself. As I age and my back and knees hurt more and more, I may be forced into ordering my food and having it delivered. But so long as I have the ability, I will do my own food shopping. 🤪😜😛

2021 Genesis G90

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    @snakeweasel
    Yeah but that can be solved by installing cattlelitic converters.

LOL - Drum Roll Please!
    I order plenty of stuff online. But when possible I like to go to the store. For some stuff, I refuse to order online. Food is one of them. My wife is very picky anyway. She doesn't trust me to pick out perishables. No way she is going to let the kid at Shop rite do it (they offer shopping service where they get it all together, you just drive up and they load it in your car) or someone in an amazon warehouse (do they have frozen/perishables they ship on dry ice?)

Well the wife is hunting for replacement cars for the Sebring and found two but I vetoed both. First one was a 2013 Infinity G37 with 25k miles. They have it at a really good price maybe to low but the seller is a used car dealer in an out of the way industrial area that only has 18 cars in inventory on their website.

The other car was a 2010 Audi A5 2.0t, again a really good price at a used car dealer with a decent reputation. However I worry about the maintenance that it's going to require

are you looking for another convertible? Wait until the first snowflakes fall. That should help pricing in Chi town! And probably won't have to wait too long.

edited August 2019
    When a was watching that Easy Rider trailer, something looked familiar.
    I looked up the sunglasses Peter Fonda wore and I have a couple of pair of them.
    Probably the only thing we ever had in common.
    One link said they were collector's items because they were discontinued, but I just bought a new pair from Ray Ban.
    Style was originally released in 1965, but they still look good today..
    Regarding Amazon three days on the way to work last week I saw a group of Amazon Prime vans drive past me. I mean it wasn't 2 or 3 or 4 it was at least a dozen each time in a group.

stickguy said:

are you looking for another convertible? Wait until the first snowflakes fall. That should help pricing in Chi town! And probably won't have to wait too long.

Yes she who must be obeyed wants another convertible. I, on the other hand, do not as we have the bike and use that most of the time when we would have the top down. So I am not sure if we would get enough use of the drop top to justify the added expense.

make her happy and at least it will be a lot more peaceful in the house! Just not a lot of convertible options if you want a back seat, and something not too low and sporty (so no Miatas). BMW always a good option, just more expensive. I do see an occasional G37 convertible around. Can look at the Lexus IS comparable model too. This one does not look too bad.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2010-lexus-is_250c-certified_is250c_navigation_camera_keyless_park_assist_leather-used-jthff2c28a2500834.html

I always liked the Volvo C70 but those are really long in the tooth at this point. Pontiac had one for a while (G6?)

or just get this (I actually really like it, but I for some reason still like yellow cars):

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-ford-mustang-certified_mustang_ecoboost_premuim_navigation_camera-used-1fatp8uh5j5124850.html

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    I think a Mustang or Camaro convertible might be your best bet. Doesn't need to be a GT or SS. Or maybe a Beetle?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Maybe one of these - 2014 VW Golf:

Gotta admit it is cute!

I have never seen a Golf convertible of that vintage. I wonder if they were even sold up here?

ab348 said:

I think a Mustang or Camaro convertible might be your best bet. Doesn't need to be a GT or SS. Or maybe a Beetle?

Yes they would be the best bet until the snow comes down hard.

@drivre100,
    The truck is an 01 GMC 2500 with about 200k on it.
    I will admit I am spoiled by the seats on my F 150 and the AC wasn't all that strong, but it ran pretty well other than that 1 glitch.
    tjc78 said:

Very nice, I’m partial to any interior that isn’t black. Who builds those now, China?

edited August 2019

Very nice, I’m partial to any interior that isn’t black. Who builds those now, China?

South Carolina. Company is owned by Geely of China though after Ford sold it to them. Ford paid in excess of $6 billion for it 10 years earlier and sold it to Geely for $1.5 billion. Shrewd.

stickguy said:

You don’t have to wait until winter. Just take a cheap one way flight to Florida and drive back a rust free beauty. Their off season (summer) is our prime season.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=convertible&max_auto_miles=50000

stickguy said:

make her happy and at least it will be a lot more peaceful in the house! Just not a lot of convertible options if you want a back seat, and something not too low and sporty (so no Miatas). BMW always a good option, just more expensive. I do see an occasional G37 convertible around. Can look at the Lexus IS comparable model too. This one does not look too bad.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2010-lexus-is_250c-certified_is250c_navigation_camera_keyless_park_assist_leather-used-jthff2c28a2500834.html

I always liked the Volvo C70 but those are really long in the tooth at this point. Pontiac had one for a while (G6?)

or just get this (I actually really like it, but I for some reason still like yellow cars):

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-ford-mustang-certified_mustang_ecoboost_premuim_navigation_camera-used-1fatp8uh5j5124850.html

Bet that Mustang is an ex rental.

@ab348,
    How much did GM sell the Saturn brand for? ;)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    The S60 is built in Sweden (vin begins with Y)

The S90 is built in China (vin begins with L)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

Yes she who must be obeyed wants another convertible. I, on the other hand, do not as we have the bike and use that most of the time when we would have the top down. So I am not sure if we would get enough use of the drop top to justify the added expense.
    How about this one? No struggling to get in and out for an old fella like you. :D

https://youtu.be/tlKXPNUpYLM

@ab348,

How much did Daimler lose on Chrysler?

@ab348,

Bought for $36B; sold to Cerebus for $7.4B

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@michaell,
    How much cash was Chrysler sitting on when Daimler bought them? Over $12B, guess where that went?.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

@ab348,

Bought for $36B; sold to Cerebus for $7.4B
    Of all automotive companies out there, Chrysler seemed to be mismanaged the worst when Cerebus took them over.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@michaell,
    How much cash was Chrysler sitting on when Daimler bought them? Over $12B, guess where that went?.

Oh, no doubt.

The book "Taken for a Ride" is a good in depth look at the Chrysler- MB "Merger of Equals"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

I wonder why all the owner reviews of the 2019 S60 on Edmunds think it is built in SC?

@michaell,

I thought it was a “Merger of equals”? :s

@ab348,

The same amount they sold Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Hummer for.

The difference is that Ford did this of their own free will, not with a federal gun to their head.

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I wonder why all the owner reviews of the 2019 S60 on Edmunds think it is built in SC?
    I could be wrong - I looked at the vin of a V60 yesterday. If the vin begins with a number, it's built in North America

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    ab348 said:

@ab348,

The same amount they sold Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Hummer for.

The difference is that Ford did this of their own free will, not with a federal gun to their head.
    But GM started Saturn and owned it. They didn't buy it from someone else, IIRC.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    dino001 said:

97.3872% of all numbers reported on the internet and//or in the press are made up. Otherwise, bring the supporting data and assumptions.
    Yeah, right.

All statistics are made up, including this one I just made up. :laughing:
    Kinda like the saying, "I believe everything thing I say and read...I right it down and then I read it". :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I've seen an occasional convertible on Hertz and Enterprise lots. Since you are buying used, at least you'll know the thing had oil changes.
    @ab348,
    Ford sold those brands to avoid the gun to their head.
    Might have been better off financially in the long run, the other way.

@drivre100,
    The truck is an 01 GMC 2500 with about 200k on it.
    I will admit I am spoiled by the seats on my F 150 and the AC wasn't all that strong, but it ran pretty well other than that 1 glitch.

My days of standing at the side of the road hoping I can fix the car are hopefully over. Truck may be in good condition, but who wants to stop and fix a radiator hose on a trip?