Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498

I’ve seriously toyed with replacing the X1 with a second Outback. I’m that happy.

Not so fast big boy. Nothing against the Outback, but you’re still in the honeymoon phase of yours.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    We have 1500 miles on it. Honeymoon is over. It’s the best car we’ve bought (for us).
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    A late model SHO was a consideration before I bought the G37. I liked the Mustang enough to seriously consider another Ford.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

We have 1500 miles on it. Honeymoon is over. It’s the best car we’ve bought (for us).

Dude, you have a Viggen! ;)

And, to @fintail comment above: I love craft beer, food trucks, and ski racks on vehicles.. My son's new dog is named Steve. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The Viggen is a different kind of relationship.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

The Viggen is a different kind of relationship.

Like dating a member of the Swedish Bikini Team?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

@qbrozen - 2 seater sports car? Did I miss an earlier hint?

I hear you in the limits of such a car with a family. I’m enjoying the flexibility of the GTI as a fun car, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the Miata.

No earlier hint. Just the 1-for-2 deal. She already approved 1, thinking it was in addition to the bimmer. I had yet to tell her the BMW would be leaving for a cash-buy fun car. There are so many possibilities on the table for this slot. Honestly, believe it or not, a Taurus SHO is looking pretty good. I mean, she nixed all Chrysler/Dodge products thus far. We are cautiously eyeing things like a Quattroporte, TTS, XKR, and CLS550. I’ll start sharing links when I get a chance.
    Any love for a Z3/4?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

I would not blame you in the least. You have the Viggen to satisfy the fun/sporty/fast itch. The OB just does so much so well and the value from Subaru’s is just amazing in what you get for bang for the buck. Heck, I would be fine with the 2.5.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    kyfdx said:

Dude, you have a Viggen! ;)

And, to @fintail comment above: I love craft beer, food trucks, and ski racks on vehicles.. My son's new dog is named Steve. :p
    I like those things as well and Steve??? Well that's a great name B)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Steve was the name my step daughter gave to the 2006 ION she drove the first three years of college

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    My daughter named the Volvo S40 she had in HS "Roberto". never did figure that one out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28, I used your testimonial as some ammunition to get the wife on the Subaru train. One day when we are out doing stuff and they are on the lot, I will swing in just to show her one.

• Options
    Make a trip to Seattle and you’re welcome to drive it if you can pry it from my wife’s hands!
  • Options
    stickguy said:

My daughter named the Volvo S40 she had in HS "Roberto". never did figure that one out.

The Countryman my step-daughter now drives is Beckham.

And, the Outback is StarLorde.

Don't ask. She names everything. The crabapple tree we planted in our backyard is Sebastien. The willows we have in the front yard are will.i.am.willow, grandmama willow and will 'o the wisp.

I'm surprised she hasn't named the furniture or appliances.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    No offense, @28firefighter , but I have a hard time getting my head around why someone would want two identical cars in the stable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    None taken. Takes way more than what is acceptable to say here to offend me.

I’d only consider it because the 2020 is a different design. My wife said no chance, so it’s not a real possibility.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    Hey, Steve is my name! I’m rather fond of it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    au1994 said:

I would not blame you in the least. You have the Viggen to satisfy the fun/sporty/fast itch. The OB just does so much so well and the value from Subaru’s is just amazing in what you get for bang for the buck. Heck, I would be fine with the 2.5.
    No you wouldn't. If you don't believe me ask @nyccarguy. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    stickguy said:

She is probably a Pirates fan.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Pretty attractive 340, with the track handling package and manual. And I like the silver over red.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783129278/overview/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited September 2019
    breld said:

Pretty attractive 340, with the track handling package and manual. And I like the silver over red.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783129278/overview/

Nice. I'd even be interested if it was RWD, although I prefer the M Sport trim- and I'd still have to add the M Performance Power and Sound kit.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited September 2019
    au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

I hear you in the limits of such a car with a family. I’m enjoying the flexibility of the GTI as a fun car, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the Miata.

No earlier hint. Just the 1-for-2 deal. She already approved 1, thinking it was in addition to the bimmer. I had yet to tell her the BMW would be leaving for a cash-buy fun car. There are so many possibilities on the table for this slot. Honestly, believe it or not, a Taurus SHO is looking pretty good. I mean, she nixed all Chrysler/Dodge products thus far. We are cautiously eyeing things like a Quattroporte, TTS, XKR, and CLS550. I’ll start sharing links when I get a chance.
    Any love for a Z3/4?
    Yes, but coupe only, but I’m avoiding 2-seaters

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    benjaminh said:

Or

stickguy said:

She does not want a sedan. She likes sitting up a bit. If she did, could just take the TLX to work. I am paying for the miles!

I actually think, factoring in everything, the new OB is actually the perfect option for us and she would really enjoy driving it. Just need to try one out, and convince her of it. And yes, a Limited XT turbo (a loaded car) will MSRP for a fair bit less than the base price of a Volvo, before you add the option packages that are must haves.

I told her that when we are serious, will have to spend some time playing with the controls, even pairing her phone, using carplay, all that stuff.

The 2020 Outback seems like a good choice. Compared to a base Volvo wagon it has more rear legroom, more cargo space, and more power. Plus it can use regular fuel instead of premium. Insurance is probably lower too.

My local Subaru dealers doesn't actually have any 2020 Outbacks in stock. Several are in transit apparently, and so they should be arriving soon. Getting the very first of the line of an all-new model might be a little bit of a risk.
    Insurance is an odd animal.

Getting rid of the Alltrack and replacing with an older, but lower mile Audi A4 with just over half the miles (worth more) actually lowered my 5.5 months of insurance $25. Thought wagons got low rates? I suppose A4's are not crashed.

More surprising, the Tiguan being brand new saved us $11 for the 5 months left of insurance. It replaced the '16 Kia Optima lease, so maybe financing to purchase is cheaper on insurance?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I’ve seriously toyed with replacing the X1 with a second Outback. I’m that happy.

Something is happening to me. If I start buying more flannel and growing my beard, someone slap me.

I love owner testimonials! I should have taken the wife back for a longer look at the 3.6 OB, but it was really late in the process at the time, and we had kinda settled on the Acura by then. I kinda drove it more out of curiosity, and from a good Honcker number, but really did like it a lot. did not even notice the CVT with the big engine. and none of the reviews I watched mentioned it as an issue.
    Subaru's 3.6 is good enough to mask the shortcomings of CVT. Drive the 2.5 and you get another impression. The 3.6 Outback is a winner. Subaru Irvine wasn't dealing and wheeling though, so we ended up with an Alltrack.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Steve was the name my step daughter gave to the 2006 ION she drove the first three years of college

Ion's lasted 3 years or more?
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

Any love for a Z3/4?
    How tall are the people you'd be filling the "more than 2 seater" with? My wife is 5'2" and my soon to be 6 years old this November is pretty tall for her age, meaning, the TTS only truly works for maybe 2 more years comfortably.

Truth is though, we usually use the other cars when travelling together as a 3-person family.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

It did. After the ignition switch scare put her into the first MINI, I took it a step a daily driver for another four years, and I used it for pizza delivery duty. Ended up giving it to my step son and his wife when I leased the Elantra GT? They drove it for another couple of years before gifting it to someone in need of a vehicle.

Yes, it was ugly and slow, but it was pretty reliable for the most part.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

Any love for a Z3/4?
    How tall are the people you'd be filling the "more than 2 seater" with? My wife is 5'2" and my soon to be 6 years old this November is pretty tall for her age, meaning, the TTS only truly works for maybe 2 more years comfortably.

Truth is though, we usually use the other cars when travelling together as a 3-person family.
    It is rare that we travel as a family of 4. I often, however, have my 2 boys with me. So my thinking is that the 13-yr-old can sit in the front and slide forward, with the 9-yr-old behind him. The older one is 5’3” and the younger is 4’6”. Yes, they may grow, but let’s be real, I keep cars for maybe 2” of kid growth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I could own one of these:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232

My uncle used to have one of these.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • Options

My uncle used to have one of these.

Your uncle had an Envoy XUV? Those are pretty rare...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Still waiting on Dorian!! Finally went out early this morning and got some more food and topped off the Golf. Station was about empty. Tomorrow could be rough as well into Tuesday but hoping we dodged a bullet. Time will tell!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    there was a new style X3 parked up the street from my house tonight. It was really, really nice.

I spent too much time recently watching video tests on cars on our shopping list. Including comparisons between many of the key players. And after doing that, made me realize that I really want one of these!

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    @Sandman6472 -stay safe
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I drove my SIL’s ‘19 Acura RDX Advance. Very impressive and comfortable interior. Nice driving dynamics, quiet, quick. The heads up display is nice, didn’t feel much difference with the ventilated seats even set on high, great sounding audio. I couldn’t figure out how to change the XM stations other than a back/forward hard button next to the volume knob. Other basic controls were easy to use. I’m sure once I read the owners manual I would be in the know, but why should I do so just listen to the radio? I could easily welcome the RDX into our fleet.

• Options
    how does it compare to the Q5?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I don’t know how it compares to a second generation (current) Q5, the RDX feels larger inside as well as in size overall. Interior quality is on par with the Q5. They both lag a bit from a stop and then power comes on strong. Engine noise and smoothness are about the same, overall muted, smooth and decent exhaust note. Transmissions both race thru the gears to get to the next highest gear to enhance mpg, yet both are responsive. I did notice a little low speed bumpiness of gear shifts in the RDX, but not harsh. Steering effort is light in both with the Audi providing better feed back. Infotainment controls are a bit complicated on both with the Audi being a bit easier to figure out without consulting a manual. My SIL said she got 24 mpg on the highway and around 20 in town. I think that is disappointing, but it may do better as the engine fully breaks in. We are averaging about 24 mpg in the Audi, and my wife got closer to 28mpg on a recent trip.

Of interest, the RDX is FWD, and both have virtually identical tires: 235/55/19 101 H Continental Cross Contact LX Sport.

• Options
    Supposedly, someone is going to start the transfer process with BMW tomorrow. We’ll see.

I guess I’ll spill what I have been up to since it doesn’t seem to be amounting to anything anyway. I have been shopping for a Hummer. Not a big surprise since I have considered them before.

It is getting much tougher to find clean, low mileage ones for reasonable money, though. I have attempted to buy a few over the phone, with no luck. Everyone is “standing firm” on their prices, which are $4k-$5k over auction.

I drove an hour on Friday to see one the dealer claimed was immaculate. I’ll admit it looked good on top. It was underneath that was a problem. That truck should not be allowed on the road. One good bump, and the rust holding the body to the frame is going to be less useful than masking tape.

Went for a 50-min trek this morning to see a private party vehicle. It had more miles than I want, at 119k, but it looked remarkably clean in the pics. And it was as promised in person. Very nice looking with nothing too bad to speak of save a minor oil seep at the rear of the engine. The problem, however, arose on the test drive. Long story short, the engine is making noises I am not comfortable with and would not even risk test driving any further than the 2 miles I put on it.

Anyway, if successful, this would be another extra vehicle the wife is permitting. If/when the BMW leaves, I’d be shopping for a sporty car for maybe $12k max, I think. So 2 vehicles, with very different purposes, for under $25k cash is the goal.

• Options
    That seems like a perfectly reasonable plan. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    A Hummer! I saw an original type Hummer (H1 I guess) on the road last week and did a double-take since I hadn't seem one in so long. Those ones are huge. It was a soft top model and had been all done over as a rolling billboard for a local car audio outfit. Looked quite impressive actually. I assume you are looking for one of the less massive models?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

• Options
    plan makes sense. I still may be doing that in a couple of years. Once we get the new CUV for the wife, and the TLX goes back, I hope to get 2 cars to replace it. One might be the current RDX. or if that goes, some sort of fun car (with a stick) and something relatively inexpensive to sit in the driveway and do beater duty. Perfect case, a compact PU of some kind.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    qbrozen said:

Long story short, the engine is making noises I am not comfortable with and would not even risk test driving any further than the 2 miles I put on it

I wouldn’t let a little thing like that scare me off... You know what they say, a GM car will run bad longer than most cars will run good! :p

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Q, considering a used Jag. Well, aren't you brave! ; - ) Apologies, emotorcons don't work for me...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Hmm. Interesting choices @qbrozen . You have been drawn to those H3s in the past. Those are 5cyl? That XKR is very sexy. I’m far from one to give the thumbs up to a 10 year old Audi (I still can’t believe 2009 was 10 years ago), but that Black with Black/Red TTS is sharp looking.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    XKR for me; one of the techs at BMW had worked on them and said that the later cars were pretty durable. Next up would be the Maser. Audis don't light my fire at all and the SHO is just a big boat.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

XKR for me; one of the techs at BMW had worked on them and said that the later cars were pretty durable. Next up would be the Maser. Audis don't light my fire at all and the SHO is just a big boat.

Well, not that they are anywhere near direct competitors, but the Maser and SHO are neck and neck in terms of size, weight, and acceleration.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Hmm. Interesting choices @qbrozen . You have been drawn to those H3s in the past. Those are 5cyl? That XKR is very sexy. I’m far from one to give the thumbs up to a 10 year old Audi (I still can’t believe 2009 was 10 years ago), but that Black with Black/Red TTS is sharp looking.

Yes, the ‘07+ H3 had a 3.7 5-cyl. Not quick but feels like enough when in a vehicle where speed is scary. Supposedly very reliable, as could be surmised by all the high-mileage ones out there. These vehicles do seem to have been overengineered.

• Options
    Well. I did not see any of this coming, @qbrozen.