Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Speaking of Z Cars, looking at 370Zs to replace the 2er have been frustrating. The only new Z I like is the 50th Anniversary Edition; it has heated seats and a few other upgrades over the Sport model. There's one in Louisville, and it's an automatic. There's one new Sport with a manual at the same dealer; I'd like to test drive it, but it's in the showroom. I'd like to see what the manual feels like but I don't want to test drive a car I know I'm not going to buy. The base car is a true loss leader, weak brakes, no LSD, etc., so it's not even a consideration.
    According to the Nissan USA website, the nearest 50th Anniversary cars with three pedals are between 500-900 miles away. If a CPO NISMO manual in anything other than black turned up I'd definitely give it a hard look.
    Anyway, for now I'm just not seriously looking after the Z search was a bit of a non-starter.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @qb thank you!
    @ roadbirner. Sorry to hear on your. Looking of the 370Z cars

Thanks, it's not a big deal, I just assumed more manuals would be available.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@ road burner you are welcome, I would’ve thought the same to unfortunately there’s a scarcity when it comes to the manuals on those cars.
    @qb and everybody else, well using Cars.com like I always do almost daily, came across this dealer called SZ Motor cars in Woodbury New York they have a good selection started looking through some of it 100 cars in stock in total. Found one 2006 hummer H2, or three I forget with 40,000 miles on it. They also have a 370 Z base, 2017 manual for a little over $20,000, miles were low. Check out the inventory everyone I just thought I let you all know. Since were all chronic car lookers and buyers Ha ha ha. Maybe I should just start going to the auction like my cousin does and get cars the New York City retired with low miles and he turns around and sells them for a little profit. He’s been lucky but I don’t know. They are mainly Chevy Impala‘s prior generation, and crown VICS are his favorite which he does drive one, he’s had since 2017 that he won’t get rid of, I think it has a little over 60,000 miles on it now, I think he got it with 50,000. He sent me the listing for one with 7000 something miles, I just got listed today might be on. Think he’s going to bid on it I think he put it on twin powers them and go with him Monday and pick up. The action cited to use is called property room. I went back in the beginning of July when you got a Ford explore for his parents they put a little money into but they drive it everywhere it’s a 2009 with a V6 the sock V6. And that is, he won two and powers one was 30 something thousand miles on it, and one with 50 something thousand miles on it but we got to go pick up Monday. Well I’m gonna go with him something to do.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen

Any auction value on the 14 GL350 black /black with 93k miles ? No runs, hits or errors. All service up to date. Tires with 12k miles, new brakes. Indiana

Mid $19k

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

mjfloyd1 said:

qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen

Any idea of auction value on 2019 Audi Q7 prestige with 7500 miles?

Local dealer has CPO available and wife has the itch to get rid of MB gl350

Assuming it is the V6 model, it would around that $48k-$49k range.
    Yes V6. Now down to about $61k asking for a CPO. I’m assuming 2K to CPO so maybe $54k is reasonable??
    Maybe. I’m not familiar with audi extended warranty costs. But sounds close.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    @qbrozen

Thanks
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

My daughter named the Volvo S40 she had in HS "Roberto". never did figure that one out.

The Countryman my step-daughter now drives is Beckham.

And, the Outback is StarLorde.

Don't ask. She names everything. The crabapple tree we planted in our backyard is Sebastien. The willows we have in the front yard are will.i.am.willow, grandmama willow and will 'o the wisp.

I'm surprised she hasn't named the furniture or appliances.
    Ha! My wife is big on naming cars... her Elantra was Big Blue and her Jetta is Heidi. She has pushed me to name my cars but it always takes a while. My old Volvo wagon was with me for 5 years and lost a wing mirror cover before it was named Vader. And it took 11 months with the RDX before I realized that not hitting OK and letting the screen go dark equates to "turning off the targeting computer." So it is now Obi-Wan, though I don't have a voice commanding me to "Use the Force."
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    stickguy said:

Actually, I have not bought anything close lately either. both Hyundais came from (different) dealers in Philly, so about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic). RDX from N. Jersey, so about 2 hours. TLX from Princeton, about 50 minutes or so. Jetta from up that way too.

Can't really see my self going more than 2 hours again, and I really don't want to go that far if I can help it.

I drove 2 hrs from Wilmington to Raleigh to get my Accord back in '02. Local dealer had bump stickers and gave me a generally slimy feel but no test drive. When I was ready to buy I sent some emails, to which two dealers in Raleigh responded with solid numbers and Wilmington said "come see us."
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Anyone want to guess what I drove today?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    BMW i3
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

Thanks, it's not a big deal, I just assumed more manuals would be available.
    Naw. Nissan drivers tend to be softies. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    ronsteve said:

I drove 2 hrs from Wilmington to Raleigh to get my Accord back in '02. Local dealer had bump stickers and gave me a generally slimy feel but no test drive. When I was ready to buy I sent some emails, to which two dealers in Raleigh responded with solid numbers and Wilmington said "come see us."

Doesn't surprise me one bit. My brother bought a car in Wilmington, and I had to deal with the guy at the dealership. Slimy indeed.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

No idea. A BMW with suicide doors? Not familiar with it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Has got to be an i3

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited September 2019
    @28firefighter an Apple iCar Pro i3 Human Edition with REX? Narrow tires on those things.
    @28FF what was it no idea! Lol lol.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    edited September 2019
    so, after dinner at the brew pup (wife was nice and mellow after a mug of pumpkin spice beer), daughter and I decided we should swing by the car dealer and wife played along. Honda dealer is open to 9 on Friday's so it was easy. They have a large showroom, so usually have most everything you want to see inside.

as a side story (always seems to be one of those when the princess is involved) her HS BF apparently is a salesman there, and of course was working tonight. Her current BF texted that she should flirt with him for a better price. I saw no problem with this!

anyway, saw a Passport outside. Kid liked the style with the black wheels (kept saying it looked like a Jeep. Not bad looking, but big. wife took one look and said it was too big. Sat in it, and still felt it was huge. And it is very wide (she was worried that it would not fit into the garage. that, and said it felt like a minivan inside. which was not a positive!

so, I now know that something that big (not just length, but height, width, bulk of the hood) is too much for her now. We did look at (locked so not sat in) a CRV, and agreed it was a much more manageable size. also much better MPG and $8k cheaper. But wife still remembers not liking how it drove (I think that was a CVT issue).

might get a few more looks in tomorrow. short list is actually on the short side now! decided to add one car back to replace the Passport (not that I think the new addition is going to make the cut) to keep it at 7.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Have yet to decide if I will go for some test driving tomorrow or go help my brother with his subaru head gasket adventure.

did we hear about the head gasket adventure and I missed it?

Test drive!!!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

Okay, now we have to get you a Model 3 test drive.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    ronsteve said:

I lived in Wilmington for 2 years and no way I would have bought from most of the local dealers.
    So. The story is WA has some insane I3 rebates this month - $7500 lease credit, $3000 bonus credit, and $3000 loyalty. With minimal effort there are some deals to be had while inventory is still decent.

So I went out and drove one figuring it might be a low hassle, VERY inexpensive way to give the electric car experience a try and get out of the X1 early, avoid dispo fee etc. I actually really liked it.

The model I drove was a 2016 REX with Tech and Tera packages. The instant torque is addicting - makes it feel fast. The 2019 is even faster with much better range. The regenerative braking is kind of fun and modulating the throttle and watching traffic ahead to do so isn’t all that different from stop and go traffic in a manual, trying to avoid constant clutching. Handling isn’t bad, but isn’t amazing. It isn’t a sports car but also doesn’t pretend to be.

The recycled interior and eco friendly bits would take some getting used to, but wasn’t bad by any means. The seats took a bit of adjusting to find the right spot.

The suicide doors would be annoying while S is rear facing. His seat fits amazingly well with lots of room in front, but he’d have to be loaded from the driver side. For the right price it’s fine.

Landed what I think is a reasonably strong $299 due and $299 a month for 24 months on a well equipped i3 REX with Tech, but the catch is they can’t help with the last few payments on the X1. That unfortunately makes it far less interesting to us because then there are other cars (with 4 real doors) my wife would want to shop. She isn’t wrong.

Model 3 is still interesting but leases like absolute garbage.
    that is cheap. bummer.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Well, I'm going to be up in Seattle midday tomorrow anyhow. If you want to drive a blue one, which is scientifically known to be the best of all of them, let me know.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

PMed you!
    stickguy said:

did we hear about the head gasket adventure and I missed it?

No, you didn’t miss anything.

My brother IS a gremlin when it comes to cars. He just beats the snot out of them without remorse. A low-mileage Legacy wagon (his 2nd) I helped get him into many months ago is his latest victim. One fan was inoperative and he never noticed. Eventually, fan 2, working constant overtime, gave up the ghost WHILE HE WAS DRIVING INTO NYC. And of course the radiator cracks wide open while he was in the tunnel. Nothing to do but keep moving forward. In any case, I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that his heads aren’t warped enough to cause an issue after we reassemble.

edited September 2019
    "radiator cracks wide open while he was in the tunnel"

So he was that guy?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

So he was that guy?

He didn’t stop. Hence potential catastrophic damage. So far, it doesn’t seem that bad. We found low cylinder pressure in the right bank, but our unscientific measurements of the head on the workbench indicate it is still within specs. Fingers crossed just a new gasket does the trick. Of course, doing tbelt and all that other stuff while its apart. My dad used to help him out with this stuff so now he is looking for my guidance.

someone like that really should just lease a cheap toyota and take it to the dealer once a year for an oil change. Much safer that way! Old cars are fine if you are attuned to the machine and will proactively take care of it. Oblivious and old usually ends badly, like in this case.

or you buy OF cheap hoopties, run them until they crap out, and send it to the crusher and move on to the next one!

@Qb well I would happen to your brothers legacy that you helped him get while back, hopefully it’s just a head gasket and it’s good to go.
    @jfloid1. No idea Forget what your current ride is, what’s this one German? Can wait to hear all about it later on.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

So. The story is WA has some insane I3 rebates this month - $7500 lease credit, $3000 bonus credit, and $3000 loyalty. With minimal effort there are some deals to be had while inventory is still decent.

So I went out and drove one figuring it might be a low hassle, VERY inexpensive way to give the electric car experience a try and get out of the X1 early, avoid dispo fee etc. I actually really liked it.

The model I drove was a 2016 REX with Tech and Tera packages. The instant torque is addicting - makes it feel fast. The 2019 is even faster with much better range. The regenerative braking is kind of fun and modulating the throttle and watching traffic ahead to do so isn’t all that different from stop and go traffic in a manual, trying to avoid constant clutching. Handling isn’t bad, but isn’t amazing. It isn’t a sports car but also doesn’t pretend to be.

The recycled interior and eco friendly bits would take some getting used to, but wasn’t bad by any means. The seats took a bit of adjusting to find the right spot.

The suicide doors would be annoying while S is rear facing. His seat fits amazingly well with lots of room in front, but he’d have to be loaded from the driver side. For the right price it’s fine.

Landed what I think is a reasonably strong $299 due and $299 a month for 24 months on a well equipped i3 REX with Tech, but the catch is they can’t help with the last few payments on the X1. That unfortunately makes it far less interesting to us because then there are other cars (with 4 real doors) my wife would want to shop. She isn’t wrong.

Too bad they wouldn’t help on the X1. For those figures and the fuel savings, I could get used to it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@ stick guy, love always hearing your car looking stories with the wife, and daughter, hopefully you’re able to go for some more today I wanna hear all about it later on.
    @ stick guy, so what’s the current shortlist now?
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

So he was that guy?

He didn’t stop. Hence potential catastrophic damage. So far, it doesn’t seem that bad. We found low cylinder pressure in the right bank, but our unscientific measurements of the head on the workbench indicate it is still within specs. Fingers crossed just a new gasket does the trick. Of course, doing tbelt and all that other stuff while its apart. My dad used to help him out with this stuff so now he is looking for my guidance.
    He sounds like a good candidate for leasing - just beat on something within an inch of it's life for 3 years and then turn it back in

that works if they drive carefully but oblivious to mechanical issues. Not so good if they also manage to trash the body with dents and dings and touch parking damage.

edited September 2019
    stickguy said:

someone like that really should just lease a cheap toyota and take it to the dealer once a year for an oil change. Much safer that way! Old cars are fine if you are attuned to the machine and will proactively take care of it. Oblivious and old usually ends badly, like in this case.

or you buy OF cheap hoopties, run them until they crap out, and send it to the crusher and move on to the next one!

We had a few wingnuts trade in BMWs with 25k miles or more between oil changes- they needed to be sentenced to driving a Versa for the rest of their lives.

au1994 said:

Too bad they wouldn’t help on the X1. For those figures and the fuel savings, I could get used to it.
    We loved ours; if something ever happens to the Clubman I'm buying a 2-3 year old REx to use as my commuter.

edited September 2019
    Believe me, I thought about leasing for him but he’d need the damage waiver and more than 20k/yr, so the cost effectiveness goes out the window. He buys cars for $3k-$6k and wrings 2-3 years out of them.

Looks like today will be nothing more than the honeydo list. She’s in a mood.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

Looks like today will be nothing more than the honeydo list. She’s in a mood.

Join the club. I’ve got the pool draining.

Took the kids for new sneakers

Now waiting at the barber with my son.

Then we have grocery shopping and if the pool is drained enough, dealing with that.

Fun day...

BUT!!!
    Football tomorrow !!! Go ‘Birds!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    @28firefighter Seem any good lease hacks on compact SUVs, lately? (not Outbacks).

For a friend...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

@28firefighter Seem any good lease hacks on compact SUVs, lately? (not Outbacks).

For a friend...

X1 is doing pretty well right now. So is GLC350e if they want an electric.

What’s the budget?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

kyfdx said:

For a friend...

X1 is doing pretty well right now. So is GLC350e if they want an electric.

What’s the budget?
    Hoping for under $400. If it was special, $450

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

Believe me, I thought about leasing for him but he’d need the damage waiver and more than 20k/yr, so the cost effectiveness goes out the window. He buys cars for $3k-$6k and wrings 2-3 years out of them.

How much damage would he do? Honda used to have a pretty generous lease turn-in allowance for body damage. Or maybe he could get one of those mobile body repair places to fix the scrapes right before lease turn in.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Perhaps it is the driving experiences of my youth, both past and present. Perhaps it is the cars I've driven . Perhaps I'm prejudiced by the late Lexus RX300; I test drove a turbo 4 '18 Porsche Macan, Blue over Tan, earlier this week. Out of state dealer, so unfamiliar with the test roads, but sales dude did offer a nice variety of main/ back and highway. (Mega mall dealership, MB/Porsche/Audi/Mini/Lexus. Disneyworld)

Nice interior, 18 way adjustable seat, so no problem there. Big gauges, had to remember speedo to the left of center, but a digital readout in the tach straight ahead. Lots of buttons, which I like vs. touch screen (which is also there) or iDrive/Comand do-hickeys. Better visibility than the XE. Ok interior storage, hatch utility. Handsome, too.

I drove it in both sport and comfort mode, noticeable difference. Not much sound from the engine, ride and handling seemed well balanced. Turbo lag, perhaps my driving style. But, I just wasn't moved. Nothing against the Macan, no doubt likely the best driving SUV, but I just don't like being Mr. Bus Driver. Not as Mr. Bus Driverly (duh, big understatement here) as the RX300, but while there certainly is an advantage to sitting up high, I just kept thinking, this is nice, but it's not a low to the ground sports sedan.

Still a contender, still haven't decided if I'm ready to replace the XF. If I do go ahead, I'll have to drive the XE and Macan again, back to back if possible.

Of course, today I did go sit in a '19 Mazda Miata RF... I was albe to get in and out, not gracefully, but doable. How many more years will I be able to do that!?

As always,
    IluvmyXF

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)