Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to purchase a new vehicle after being out of the market for a while and found that prices were much higher than you expected? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 1/20 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 142,488
    mjfloyd1 said:

I finally got the refurbished gauge cluster and new dash wiring harness installed in the 63 corvette split window coupe. I put the fuses in and connected the battery and...

It fired right up.

I installed new speedometer and tachometer cables with some cable lubricant. Also installed the refurbished wiper motor.

Still have some adjusting to do, reinstall drivers seat, clock, radio, glovebox.

It is total project creep. Already had seats reupholstered in the finest vinyl (plastique) and new carpets installed. I wonder how long until I decide that the paint does a disservice to the interior??

If you need me to do some shake-down test driving, let me know.. ;)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,943
    X1 got a clean report back during pre-inspection and the Genius that helped me was wonderful. Basically ran through lease return and gave me her information for when I'm ready to ground it.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 34,813
    any progress on the Viggen front?

I still think BaT might take it, even with some cosmetic issues. But what do I know!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

edited October 2019
    One offer for $6k that I did not counter. Guy last night is mulling it over and I have someone else interested that may want to see it on Sunday.

I really don't want to deal with BaT. The most comparable one I saw went on BaT for $8k and while it didn't have as much maintenance history, it was in much better shape cosmetically. Factor in listing fees, etc., and I think it'd end up being a wash. The last thing I'd want to have happen is to get LESS.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,137
    Mechanic cleaned the terminals around the main fuse and cleaned the battery terminals. Drove it 30 minutes with no issues. Hopefully that will take care of it. No additional fee.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,588
    The Altima was officially transferred today and while the car has received its share of criticisms, none of that will come from me. It was rock solid for nearly 5.5 years with only fluid, tire, and other consumables part of the cost of ownership. It served us well
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,313
    xwesx said:

On vehicle dispositions, I haven't actually had all that many either. I will say, though, that I have never traded in a car.

I have lost two through crashes, one buyback, rest either private party or give away. I don't much feel like taking the time to count them all out. My guess is maybe ten.

TEN, aren't you afraid to admit to something like that in here? Don't be surprised when you're asked to relinquish your card for admittance to this site !!! :'(

jmonroe
    You are the only person I know of that had a V6 Altima. I wonder how much a difference that made?

some something interesting yesterday. Not sure where to post (not new or a classic!) so putting it here.

stopped at the local HS for a flu shot, and nearby was a car converted to handicap (wheelchair)accessible, with the ramp that folded out from underneath out the back. That in itself is not uncommon, but usually it is some sort of Minivan, or the purpose built models that look like a tall wagon.

but this car, of all odd things, was a Fiat 500XL. If I had not seen it in action, would not have believed it was big enough to handle the chair in the back. Or strong enough to handle all that extra weight hanging off the rear.

why anyone would think of using a FIAT for that duty is beyond me.

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

On vehicle dispositions, I haven't actually had all that many either. I will say, though, that I have never traded in a car.

I have lost two through crashes, one buyback, rest either private party or give away. I don't much feel like taking the time to count them all out. My guess is maybe ten.

TEN, aren't you afraid to admit to something like that in here? Don't be surprised when you're asked to relinquish your card for admittance to this site !!! :'(

jmonroe
    well, he still has a couple that he bought 30 or so years ago, so definitely not a flipper.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,324
    corvette said:

xwesx said:

Sound like you may be having issues with cracked solder, if indeed the cluster is the problem. All of the issues you note could originate with a problem there.

Well, I'm vindicated. (Keep in mind that sometimes it's expensive, irritating, and inconvenient to be vindicated...) Picked up keys and paid shop for diagnosis and an oil change. Took the Infiniti home, walked the dog, then walked back to the repair shop to get the Tahoe. As soon as I took off down the road, I got a "Stabilitrak off" error (which immediately went away, then an SRS error, which also went away. Pulled in my driveway and everything electrical went completely dead as soon as I turned the engine off.

Got out the multimeter and I'm showing zero volts once you get past the "mega fuse" behind the battery, which explains why nothing works. Apparently the fuse failing, or the terminals around it corroding, are common failures. I couldn't pry the cover off, so no way to be sure.
    Well, replacing the cable and corroded wiring is a cheap fix, and if it isn't the fix, it's cheap insurance against time!

I replaced just the negative cable and last couple inches of wire on my Econoline this summer, and that cleared up a whole host of problems! My son and I agreed that we are going to replace all of the vehicle's wiring next year. Good news: All of the wiring in that vehicle equals about the same as (maybe) the headlight circuit in your Tahoe. :D
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe

Hahah; only a little. These guys are welcoming enough to cut a frugal guy like me (and I'm not alone here.... *looks around*....) some slack. I have done my part to add to the numbers a few times! Just because I have those cars several years later... :D
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 142,488
    stickguy said:

some something interesting yesterday. Not sure where to post (not new or a classic!) so putting it here.

stopped at the local HS for a flu shot, and nearby was a car converted to handicap (wheelchair)accessible, with the ramp that folded out from underneath out the back. That in itself is not uncommon, but usually it is some sort of Minivan, or the purpose built models that look like a tall wagon.

but this car, of all odd things, was a Fiat 500XL. If I had not seen it in action, would not have believed it was big enough to handle the chair in the back. Or strong enough to handle all that extra weight hanging off the rear.

why anyone would think of using a FIAT for that duty is beyond me.

On a similar note, guy at my gym (in a wheelchair) has a CTS Coupe, with a customized Lambo driver's door. Small wheelchair. He gets in, then reaches out, folds the wheelchair, and stashes it behind the front seat.
    Needless to say, he is very fit, other than the inability to walk.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

2 doors were always the way to go for wheelchairs though.

good job. Enjoy!

xwesx said:

Q7. I have a front wheel bearing failing on mine. 88,000 miles! Ridiculous. I received the new bearing yesterday (HUGE!!), and my new amazing tool kit for replacing the bearing came in today. I'm stoked. Hard to stay at work instead of just running home to play with it.

But, $600 in, and shop wants $1,400. Plus, I would be out that for a one-time deal. Now, if I *ever* have another wheel bearing failure on any car, I'm set.... just the cost of the bearing and a fun hour or so of my life. :)

Just curious and I hope you don't take this as being too nebby, but how much did your new toy, the wheel bearing tool kit, cost you? Like they say, "if you don't have the right tools you can't do a professional job". Years ago I convinced Mrs. j that you can't do everything around the house just because you have a hammer, screw driver and a pair of vice grips.

Let us know how long it takes to do the job. I know it will be worth your time if only because of learning something and the self satisfaction you'll get.

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

You are the only person I know of that had a V6 Altima. I wonder how much a difference that made?

Having driven 4 cylinder Altima rentals, a lot.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC
    I test drove a 4 banger Altima a few years back. Short local drive, but I recall being a lot more impressed than I expected to be. Quite possible after a longer tour, or different types of roads, that could have changed.

By some miracle, the license plates for the i3 showed up faster than if I had bought from a dealer in-state. Crazy.

By some miracle, the license plates for the i3 showed up faster than if I had bought from a dealer in-state. Crazy.

Probably counterfeit. The legal ones always take longer. :o

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

Q7. I have a front wheel bearing failing on mine. 88,000 miles! Ridiculous. I received the new bearing yesterday (HUGE!!), and my new amazing tool kit for replacing the bearing came in today. I'm stoked. Hard to stay at work instead of just running home to play with it.

But, $600 in, and shop wants $1,400. Plus, I would be out that for a one-time deal. Now, if I *ever* have another wheel bearing failure on any car, I'm set.... just the cost of the bearing and a fun hour or so of my life. :)

Just curious and I hope you don't take this as being too nebby, but how much did your new toy, the wheel bearing tool kit, cost you? Like they say, "if you don't have the right tools you can't do a professional job". Years ago I convinced Mrs. j that you can't do everything around the house just because you have a hammer, screw driver and a pair of vice grips.

Let us know how long it takes to do the job. I know it will be worth your time if only because of learning something and the self satisfaction you'll get.

jmonroe
    $500. An excellent kit, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045H9UJQ/
  • breldbreld Posts: 4,695
    mjfloyd1 said:

Picking up Q7 on Wednesday

Congrats!

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 VW Alltrack - 2018 VW GTI

xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe
    Gee-man-eze, that kit ain't cheap but if it saves you money in the end it's worth it. I'd do it too if I had to but now I won't have to since I have a poster buddy that has one. If I ever need it all you have to do is ship it to me, free of course, and I'll owe you one. :p

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 9,430
    xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe
    That wasn’t available for rental at Autozone, etc?

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

Tahoe drove home without incident. But, you never really know with these intermittent electrical gremlins... For the next month or so, every time I get in, I'm going to be asking it "PROVE to me that you're not a witch!"
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 721
    tjc78 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe
    That wasn’t available for rental at Autozone, etc?
    I wondered the same. You pay a deposit that gets refunded when you return the tool set.
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast IllinoisPosts: 202
    Posted questions in the CR-V lease and Q8 lease threads. Not playing games. Helping an aunt and a friend. Thanks.

Dad's been back in the ICU for a couple of weeks now but made some progress this week.
    2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4

Previously owned/leased BMWs, Volvos, and Volkswagens
    corvette said:

Tahoe drove home without incident. But, you never really know with these intermittent electrical gremlins... For the next month or so, every time I get in, I'm going to be asking it "PROVE to me that you're not a witch!"

I'd say your gremlin is solved, at least for a good while. Corroded terminals are a classic for the problem/s you had. I'd be more convinced about it not reoccurring if the points of contact had a light coating of non-corrosive paste applied after thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces before the bolts were tightened. If this wasn't done you could have the problem again but probably not for a long time. Ask your dealer if they applied this goop then you'll know if it's really fixed.

jmonroe
    at least if it acts up again, you can take a shot at it yourself.

@mb_enthusiast hope you get some good news about your dad soon.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,692
    xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe
    Oh boy, I missed something. What is it that kit is supposed to do exactly?

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,692
    edited October 2019
    Ok, found this vid. Different tool kit but shows the process. Leave it to the Germans. This is why I much prefer the hub and bearing to be a single replaceable unit.

Fingers crossed the manual kit from Amazon can handle enough torque from your arm to do the job.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

qbrozen said:

Ok, found this vid. Different tool kit but shows the process. Leave it to the Germans. This is why I much prefer the hub and bearing to be a single replaceable unit.

Fingers crossed the manual kit from Amazon can handle enough torque from your arm to do the job.

Yeah, but that's cheatin. :o

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 11,611
    qbrozen said:

I hope his arm has enough torque to do the job. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Well Acura wastes no time...
  • fintailfintail Posts: 48,802
    11 months? Wow. MB has never started hounding me until maybe 7 months out.
  • @lorastada. Thank you for the discription. On the coler. On your sons. New ride!
  • @ New York. Car guy nice on the new tires. For the Pilot. You did good! I am shore that the OEM tires are a lot Mor and not as good isn’t that usually the case
  • @corvette glad they figured out what the issue was on the Tahoe. Sorry to hear of the issues of cut up again with the water pipes yeah try those things and hopefully it will resolve the problem.
  • @gfloid1 Nice on the punch of the new Q7 of
  • @gfloid1 sure you save a lot of money buying used. How did all go?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 721
    @marcogallo1986 -I pick it up Wednesday. Hopefully smooth but you never know. I’ll keep you posted
    edited October 2019
    Paging @qbrozen or anyone else who might have one - can anyone recommend an OBD scanner device? I should probably have one anyway, but my OnStar is now showing a red light and isn't working.

Edit: Ordered a BlueDriver from Amazon. There is a popular scanner called FIXD that is less expensive, but doesn't include the repair database BlueDriver does (FIXD charges a subscription fee for the database).
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,246
    Still deciding whether to buy out the Volt next month when the lease ends. I drove a Nissan Leaf Plus SL today just to check out what’s new. Really like it. It has a titch more rear seat room than the Encore, still a small vehicle which I like. Acceleration and handling are great and the SL trim is very nice. The one I drove had dark grey exterior, not my fave, but the light grey interior with black trim is very nice.
    Overall I see it as a great replacement for the Encore, but not for the Volt. So maybe a few years down the road when we pay off the Volt. Did really enjoy being in a new car though. And it has all the goodies lacking in the Encore. Sigh.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • @jfloid1. Sounds good nice that you’re getting it Wednesday yes please keep us updated.
  • @MB glad that dad is cumming along!