Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Just bought my 'retirement' car a week ago Saturday.
    Interior colors pretty much look like a combo of the Mercedes and the Palisade.
    Looking for a 3/2 ranch with 3 bay garage and basement.

Unless you are over 85, I'll bet that won't be the last one.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Other than the basement, that’s the house I want! Maybe a 2nd floor loft type area too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Second contractor just came to give me another price on replacing my deck. He also plans to replace the substructure. This one builds decks exclusively. Fingers crossed!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

My wife's car has black carpets and dash, and a caramel color leather seating. Looks great, I think.

The '18 Legacy I got for Mrs. j in April has a burgundy exterior with beige seats, black carpets and black dash. I like that color combo much better than my '15 Genny with the 'old man's gray' exterior and everything black interior. Since April I have gotten at least 10 "nice car" comments while driving her car. Still waiting for someone other than my across the street neighbor who likes the color of my Genny. :@

jmonroe
    Well...the Genny needs a good wax to get compliments

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Two weeks after vacuum leak fixed and CEL extinguished...CEL is on again. Really whodathunk a 6 yo British car would have such events! And, it just turned 59k miles; still a pup.
    Dealer tonight for a code read.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

It’s time. Start shopping

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ Send man, yes we both saw the same commercial, but no inventory on Cars.com as of yet so it’s not out yet thank you said due to the new Senada having some issues and they pushed everything back a bit. Yes better get good to get See time in all it was three or four you’re considering above before making a decision but I’m glad you have a nice shortlist, but of course that’s always subject to change in here ha ha Ha. I’m glad you’re going to go to the auto show near you, it’s good you’re going to go and I know you haven’t gone in a number of years, but if you can you should make it a thing to go every year since you like it.
    @lorastada. That’s it, you have to start car shopping time to have that One leave the fleet soon. Ha ha ha
    @ Corvette, so what did the second contractor come back with with his estimate?

@ Corvette, so what did the second contractor come back with with his estimate?

He measured today and wrote down the materials I've chosen. He's going to call me Friday.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    You have to love what you are dealing with for quotes sometimes.

My Mom noticed a Sante Fe that she liked and asked about it. I just recently had an email from the salesperson that sold me the Elantra asking if I was buying another Hyundai to replace it....

So that opened up the dialogue for some quotes on a Santa Fe. Here is what I asked for

Are you able to provide me a lease quote on stock #
    LH169703
    36/10K
    Excellent credit

Please provide selling price, residual, Money factor used and any incentives.

Here is what I got...

How does that help me?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

My Mom noticed a Sante Fe that she liked and asked about it. I just recently had an email from the salesperson that sold me the Elantra asking if I was buying another Hyundai to replace it....

So that opened up the dialogue for some quotes on a Santa Fe. Here is what I asked for

LH169703
    36/10K
    Excellent credit

Here is what I got...

How does that help me?

Twice the information that’s on most lease quotes.
    At least you know the selling price.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

And the monthly nut. Which is all most buyers want.

@tjc78

If you want I can break it down for you..

Just post in the appropriate discussion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Actually seems pretty good - most desking software doesn't provide MF on the customer facing quotes because no one knows what to do with it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Also, that discount seems abysmal. 3250 overall including a $2k rebate?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    tjc78 said:

LH169703
    36/10K
    Excellent credit

Here is what I got...

How does that help me?

I'd have to say that's pretty helpful. You could easily back into the MF using those numbers.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

LH169703
    36/10K
    Excellent credit

Here is what I got...

How does that help me?

I'd have to say that's pretty helpful. You could easily back into the MF using those numbers.
    Add the $650 acquisition fee.. Re-calculate the sales tax for the lease (that's a little harder to hit, exactly)
    Go to the Santa Fe discussion, and ask for the money factor. Presto!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, I could (and did) but wanted to see it structured with everything rolled in.

Here is the quote with all info. Agreed discount is dreadful and this is an awful lease as quoted. @kyfdx heading to the leasing forum to check MF, I have a feeling it's marked up.

Their math is spot on.. at least!

tjc78 said:

Their math is spot on.. at least!

Money factor markup adds approx $20/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, as @28firefighter has been telling me many of these similar models just don't lease well.

Backing into some numbers even with a 10% discount that puts me at $355 with just first DAS. Not getting 10% off a Hyundai before rebate

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Interest rates are on their way up, so that is going to reflect in leases as well. We cannot expect the lease rates of a couple years ago, or even last year, to apply in the current market. I'm sure there will be those that pop up now and again when manufacturers are just trying to give away a slumping model, but UVs are hot right now, and most of them are relatively new to the market (e.g., current or last model year introductions on their generation).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Very true.

I asked the sales person if the MF was marked up. The response I got was My system automatically populates that from Hyundai Finance LOL

Yeah right. Automagically from the SM's desk.
    tjc78 said:

I asked the sales person if the MF was marked up. The response I got was My system automatically populates that from Hyundai Finance LOL

Quite a non-answer.
    Oof. My brother just purchased a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. He's been itching to make a move like this for years now, and he finally just had to pull the trigger. B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

My wife's car has black carpets and dash, and a caramel color leather seating. Looks great, I think.

The '18 Legacy I got for Mrs. j in April has a burgundy exterior with beige seats, black carpets and black dash. I like that color combo much better than my '15 Genny with the 'old man's gray' exterior and everything black interior. Since April I have gotten at least 10 "nice car" comments while driving her car. Still waiting for someone other than my across the street neighbor who likes the color of my Genny. :@

jmonroe
    Well...the Genny needs a good wax to get compliments
    Hey wise guy, the Genny has an excellent wax job because I waxed it myself right around the time that Mrs. j got her Subie in April. The Subie has the wax job that the dealer gave it, not bad for the freebie it was, but not equal to what I do, so it has to be the color. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    good thing that the next car )CUV) is almost definitely going to be a purchase, not lease.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Just heard that the 3 will be getting another 5% power increase via an upcoming OTA update. X will get a 3% increase. Whew, I was really thinking they were underpowered.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Kid's Cruze is at her local Chevy store in Orlando so they can figure out the issue with her infotainment system. Guys down here were a waste! But did find out that Chevy still owes her a free oil change so that's something. Guess the first one is supposed to be on GM's dime. The store she bought it at in New Smyrna Beach gave her her first one and never mentioned the free Chevrolet one. Turns out it does take synthetic oil and with her at about 11K on the clock, she's still got a good way to go until her next one. The oil life monitor shoes 53% oil life left on the current synthetic so she's going to wait until she gets down to either 15% or 10%. I'll be going there on December 23rd until the 29th, so maybe we'll just get 'er done then. She starts her new job on Tuesday, going back to Goodwill Industry's but in Osceola County. She's pretty excited as she did like working for them in Palm Beach County those few years.
    About the Miami International Auto Show, haven't been in awhile due to my spinal issues, as it's hard to be getting in and out of all those vehicles but will make an effort to go on the 1st or the 2nd if my wife and middle girl wants to go. Her '08 Accent just hit 40K but hey, next month she'll have had it 11 years so having her sit in many different vehicles could maybe help her rule out some. She really likes her current Accent so I suggested she just get another one. Sure, she can afford a much more expensive vehicle but it's just an appliance to her and luckily her commute is maybe 10 minutes each way. For her, the long Hyundai warranty is a great thing. Did drive a brand new 2019 Kia Forte at work yesterday and came away quite impressed so either could work for her. She also doesn't want any vehicle drama since she lives an hour away from us and I hate getting phone calls that my car won't start. Luckily, she lives in a building with indoor parking.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

xwesx said:

Oof. My brother just purchased a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. He's been itching to make a move like this for years now, and he finally just had to pull the trigger. B)

Nice! Is he in Alaska? That doesn't seem like a very Alaska-friendly car!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    xwesx said:

Interest rates are on their way up, so that is going to reflect in leases as well. We cannot expect the lease rates of a couple years ago, or even last year, to apply in the current market. I'm sure there will be those that pop up now and again when manufacturers are just trying to give away a slumping model, but UVs are hot right now, and most of them are relatively new to the market (e.g., current or last model year introductions on their generation).

And how! I just asked for a lease quote on a Nissan Leaf Plus and was shocked that the monthly payment was listed at $585, when I leased the Volt for a similar price in 2017 for $325! Ruled that out for sure. Now I’m thinking we will buy out the Volt, hold on to the Encore for another 3 years till we pay off the Volt, and then look at buying a used Leaf Plus coming off a lease (and selling the Encore). The residual for the current Leaf Plus is around $18,000 so that seems the way to go.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    If I wanted to commit to a sedan long term, buying out the TLX in 2 years for right about $20K, when it only has low 20s miles most likely, might make more sense.

The Hyundai Ioniq is starting to look better and better to me. Just need to drive one to see if it can get out of it's own way. Want any vehicle to have some get up and go to be honest! Not that I drive fast, just want it to go when I push my right foot down!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

not super fast 0-60, but a hybrid can be a different experience than you are used to. Instant torque off the line so snappy initial tip-in, but going to run out of steam at higher speeds.

We like Hyundai's and Kia's to be honest. The new Forte is a nice looking vehicle. And i like them to. And my kids Accent has been very reliable in the 11 years she's owned it. Only the brake light switch went out in year 4. Was in and out, back home within 4 hours. We live right across the street also. Also close to VW, Audi, Volvo, Chevrolet, Mazda, Toyota, BMW/Mini Cooper, Lexus & Mercedes. So much to chose from actually, really way too much. Much to choose from which is great.

My 2 Hyundais (4 straight years of them) were both excellent cars, and very good values. No issues at all really with either one. A few recall/TSB for silly stuff on the Sonata, nothing on the Elantra in 14 months. I would have no qualms about getting another one, and we actually have the Santa Fe on our short list to take a look at. Could be a good compromise for us. Cheaper than a luxury nameplate, but snazzy looking, and fully loaded with goodies. And my wife should be able to handle using the tech!

the 10 years of warranty coverage will be nice too, since we would be looking to keep it that long.

Both of our Elantras were completely perfect in the time we had them.. The 2009 Genesis certainly had some teething problems and stranded me twice. Kudos to Hyundai on that one they did fix it correctly with the help of corporate but I always was leary of it after.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the Hyundai models, I think they are as reliable as any other brand now.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Amazing the strides in design and reliability Hyundai/Kia have made in a short time. Isn’t their 10. yr. warranty a powertrain one rather than bumper to bumper?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    A positive review for the all-new 2020 Sonata....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X43zoCmprGk&t=256s
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    5/60 is BtoB. The out to 10/100 power train.

Good enough for me.

@ Sandman, that’s right I figured probably the spinal issues kept you from going all these years, I hope you’re able to go with the wife in the middle daughter this year though. Hey if she wants another accident on the road whatever she likes if she sees something at the auto show that she likes great. And eventually once the venue comes out, you definitely have to check them out. Nice on your older daughter going back to work with a goodwill starting Tuesday, but she worked couple years back and loved it. Well Sharee has 11,000 miles on the cruise how long has he had it not even a year right? Hard drama is hard to avoid who wants it but happen sometimes just life it’s a machine have to Put up with it at times unavoidable yet, some brands might have a little more than others but trust me we will do. We’ve been pretty lucky with Hyundai, my dad Senat is still going strong who has almost 200,000 miles on it and he drives it in the Bronx in New Jersey weekly. It’s a 2009, that we got in 2008 new. So he got his money‘s worth out of it, Peter off couple of years ago so eventually it’s going to buy something used some SUVE. He probably will go with Hyundai and Kia again I think as of right now but we’ll see. Kiersten out or use the RDX was saying my dad asked about the RDX are used one probably like what stick my house, I was looking online for him and found him a few nice cool mileage used ones too. So we shall see.
    @zwest Nice on your brother getting a new Camaro that he always wanted. He bought it or list it? Does he live in Alaska somewhere near you, or elsewhere?
    Yeah and all these lease numbers that people are getting these days are insane when is a buy a nice slightly used car you’re better off makes more sense. Probably always did just now more so than ever. or buy something that you can afford the monthly payments on paid off and keep it till the wheels fall off literally for a bunch of years. But it’s hard to do in here ha ha Ha.
    edited October 2019
    corvette said:

xwesx said:

Nice! Is he in Alaska? That doesn't seem like a very Alaska-friendly car!
    No, he is in North Carolina. He bought it as a "weekender," so he can pick and choose the best times to use it. He has a Cruze for his daily driver.

Oh, and @marcogallo1986, he purchased. When he told me about it and shared details, I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. :D
    Just came back from a lunch with my retired co-workers at the Boca Raton post office. Saw some folks I hadn't seen in over nine years and seems a whole larger group shows up monthly. About 15 of us came so the group is usually closer to thirty folks. Lots of laughter and catching up. Saw a couple folks I didn't care for way back then but was cordial so all was good. A nice way to spend a couple of hours. Seems like I'm in the minority as I'm still holding down a part time gig, most of the others just enjoy their lives having fun or attending to family business. A few are dealing with older parents that need care from them so glad we're past that as I know from experience, it ain't easy when the parent becomes the kid again. I thank G-d for my Hertz gig after hearing some of their stories!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    qbrozen said:

YESSS!!! New tool arrived today. Used it to tell the Chevy about its new steering angle sensor and now all is right with its brain and zero warnings or codes are present. Woohoo!! Gotta wonder what the neighbors think when they see a man in his driveway with his arms up in the air in triumph.

Signaling a touchdown?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@qbrozen what tool was that?