Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,038
    edited February 14
    Flew into Pittsburgh yesterday on our way to Cleveland. National executive area had zero SUVs. I asked if they had any on the other lot and the manager brought around a Land Rover Discovery.

It is complete overkill for my purposes on this trip (and life in general) but it was really comfortable and a great drive.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX
  • coldinohiocoldinohio Posts: 108

Flew into Pittsburgh yesterday on our way to Cleveland. National executive area had zero SUVs. I asked if they had any on the other lot and the manager brought around a Land Rover Discovery.

It is complete overkill for my purposes on this trip (and life in General) but it was really comfortable and a great drive.

snow and ice in CLE; be safe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 145,453
    Yeah, good timing. Brutally cold.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,796
    kyfdx said:

I have a pending punch.. looks like it will happen on Monday.. :o

Jump into the deep end! Looking forward to hearing about it.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC

It is complete overkill for my purposes on this trip (and life in General) but it was really comfortable and a great drive.

snow and ice in CLE; be safe
    We made it up safely. It was a pleasure driving somewhere that the roads get treated. The wind kicked up some snow squalls on the OH Turnpike, but we just slowed down and made our way through. People drive for conditions up here, which really helps. Also helps that Sam was sleeping through the worst of it, so I didn't have to play his favorite game - "Daddy? Why?" - while trying to focus.
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.
    For looks I’d prefer a C5. They’re getting cheap too. Low teens for some.
    Pop-up headlights should have stayed in the '80s.
    Lots of things should have stayed in the 80s. At least the music was good!
    Hmmmm....’80s music? I was there when it happened. Not sure I was ever a fan.

Don’t have any idea of the lyrics, either.

In time, they're going to get more Seltos's without AWD, these early ones all seem to have it. But in South Florida, don't want or need AWD so why have it? Loses 3 to 4 miles/gallon and totally unnecessary here. And again, my time frame is a bit away any how. But the guy should've come back with keys. It was about 10 am and there were no customers in the showroom, the only folks there were waiting in the service area for their vehicles to be finished. Nice looking dealership but way across town and a bit farther than we usually go to purchase a vehicle. But, for the right vehicle for the right price, I'd drive the 10 miles or so down to Federal Highway, very close to the beach.
    Looked up the inventory of the Kia store right here in town, but their inventory is quite low also. Ramping up all the dealers inventories should take a month or two and again, my purchasing time frame is pretty far out there, unless, I get that same feeling I did when I first test drove my Golf. Really hit me hard that yes, I want this and eventually, I'll have one. I'll know when I'm dead serious when I clean out the whole car, I mean take everything out of it and only keep a 1/2 to a 1/4 amount of petrol in the tank. Went from a Tuesday till the following Thursday until I went in to sign the papers with the VW. And then I drove it home Friday after leaving work about 3 pm.
    Do think if the brand new Golf was out right now, I'd be farther along in this process by now. Once all the contenders are out in the market place, tend to drive them all back to back so as to make sure I'm 100% sure on which model and make. Then, time to sit down and try to make a deal. And then, we just do it!

Sandy, you and I are outliers in this crowd. Like you I have to take a while to make my final decision. Most of the others can pull the trigger quick. Like GG jumping on that great Stinger deal. I probably would have hesitated and missed it.

Just don’t get paralysis by analysis.
    OF.....right place, right time and all that. Truth told, I was smitten with the Stinger from the time I saw it at the Auto Show in ‘18, and the test drive I did shortly thereafter. So, it had been churning as a possibility for a while.

Once I sort of got it into my mind that the Stinger was going to be similar in performance to the on again/off again TLX Type-S which I had been waiting patiently for, and the pricing, the trigger was easy to pull.

All that said, I also promised myself I didn’t need more than one vehicle since I’m now a true empty-nester. But, here I am. Two nice cars sitting in the garage when I can only drive one at a time.

I suppose there are worse habits I could have.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 9,569
    edited February 14
    Not sure I was ever a fan.

I think if you were a young kid in the 80's you are more inclined to like the music.

My wife is younger than me and hates most of it, but loves 70's stuff since that is what her Parent's listed to.

Good one hit wonder tune there!

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

We went to a benefit a couple weeks back. '80s Throwback Party.
    A friend of mine has a cover band, and they were playing.

But, the main draw was an '80s one-hit wonder artist that dropped in to play for about 30 minutes. (rehearsed with the band, the day before).

Anyone remember 867-5309? B)

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,837
    kyfdx said:

We went to a benefit a couple weeks back. '80s Throwback Party.
    A friend of mine has a cover band, and they were playing.

But, the main draw was an '80s one-hit wonder artist that dropped in to play for about 30 minutes. (rehearsed with the band, the day before).

Anyone remember 867-5309? B)

Jenny? Sure, I knew her well.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

Tommy is 72 years old, but did a great job. Even threw in a Van Morrison song. Everyone knows that song..

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 11,796
    edited February 14
    80's music is great, at least the stuff that I like. :laughing:

This is what I'm talking about (a couple of cars to spot here as well):

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 137,742
    I saw Tommy Tutone perform at Disneyland in 1982.

I'm a child of the 80's - most of the music I listen to is from that era. Have started getting into darker music from the era - The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, etc.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Posts: 35,204
    this kind of pop stuff was only a small part of the 80s music scene. There was a lot of good stuff. Just like the 70s wasn't all disco!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Most crank called number of all time!

Michaell said:

I'm a child of the 80's - most of the music I listen to is from that era. Have started getting into darker music from the era - The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, etc.

Liked all of those "darker" '80s group. I'll throw in the Pixies for good measure. And, my all time favorite '80s band was Primal Scream!

The "pop" of the '80s? Pretty much a non-starter for me.
  • jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 8,722
    @Sandy, sorry to hear about your insomnia. Got the perfect cure for that...bourbon. You'll be sleeping in no time with a smile on your face and if you do it right, the wakeup won't be too bad either. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• breldbreld Posts: 4,750
    I feel I'm fairly well rounded and aware on the music front, but being 47, I definitely have a love for some 80
    's rock bands from my youth. Two of my top favorites are touring together this summer - Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams (yes, I fully expect some friendly jabs for those choices).

My older son is a big fan of Bon Jovi too, and there's no stop in Denver on the tour...so we've bought tickets for both shows at Madison Square Garden in July. It'll be a fun trip for him and I.

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 MB GLC300 Coupe - 2014 BMW 228i

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,244

stickguy said:

well, if you wanted to sit in one, should have just asked. Salesguys can't win. If they push when you say just looking, they get grief. If they take you at your word, they get grief! But they really aren't mind readers, so I never get too perturbed if they don't read my inner thoughts.

plus, you really weren't a customer. You were just the enterprise guy killing time until your ride arrived!

but I do agree that for something like this, where you live, AWD is silly.

I was just the Enterprise guy delivering cars to the Kia store where I eventually bought my Soul. Came back later with my wife to see if she could get into it easily. Salesman probably thought we were strokes because I told him we were still shopping. I came back a week later and bought. If at any time they walked away while I was talking I would have bought elsewhere. A good salesman would have tried to make a non committed customer into a buyer even 6 months down the road. Unless he had a line of other better prospects waiting inside, he blew it.

Why a store would stock AWD models in Florida is puzzling.
    There is rain in FL. AWD works great in the wet. During a recent rain, I was limited to about 10% of the acceleration I'm used to when it is wet by driving a rental FWD Altima around instead of my Audi's.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
    breld said:

I feel I'm fairly well rounded and aware on the music front, but being 47, I definitely have a love for some 80
    's rock bands from my youth. Two of my top favorites are touring together this summer - Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams (yes, I fully expect some friendly jabs for those choices).

My older son is a big fan of Bon Jovi too, and there's no stop in Denver on the tour...so we've bought tickets for both shows at Madison Square Garden in July. It'll be a fun trip for him and I.

My son didn’t know they made any music later than Tom Petty. He got to hear a lot of Zep, Who and Pink Floyd, growing up.. 🤔

Edmunds Moderator

they stock them because that is the only way Kia makes them.

kyfdx said:

breld said:

My son didn’t know they made any music later than Tom Petty. He got to hear a lot of Zep, Who and Pink Floyd, growing up.. 🤔
    This is what I grew up listening to. Plus some of the quieter stuff like James Taylor, Bill Joel, Joni Mitchell...

In fact, that's primarily what I still listen to today with Sam - and I was born in the late 80s.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,732
    breld said:

Awesome! When in July?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

Michaell said:

Liked all of those "darker" '80s group. I'll throw in the Pixies for good measure. And, my all time favorite '80s band was Primal Scream!

The "pop" of the '80s? Pretty much a non-starter for me.
    I've got the best of the Pixies album on my iPhone.

Need to add some Joy Division, as well.

80's pop - Sheena Easton? Toni Basil?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited February 14
    So I have to visit the Kia dealership again. The Kia Finance collections agencies are relentless. They claim in over 5 years they've never had a dealership refuse a customer a "correction" to the lease return receipt.

They claim they won't go after the dealership for the $350 missing key FOB, so it costs them nothing to correct the record.

I think an in person visit is the only way this will get resolved, as the dealership ignores emails and "contact us" web inquiries/emails.

They still insist they don't choose the car's return location and having nothing to do with the dealership, to which I quipped, "so I get to choose where I return it, how about a random gas station?" Then they went into a long convoluted weak argument that included saying leaving it at the gas station would cause an "abandoned vehicle" report to go to the Police.

This has been such a waste of time!!!!! :angry:
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
    general piece of advice for situations like this: take your own pictures. Odometer, keys on the seat, whatever counts. Never take the word of someone that it will be fine. If you don't have in hand a signed release that everything is OK, document document document.

this is also why I don't use the drop the keys and go option at a rental place. I wait a few minutes and make them check the car in, and give me a receipt confirming I returned car, full gas, no damage, etc. Once you walk away, it is blind faith that nothing hinky is going to happen. I am not that trusting!

Michaell said:

I've got "Telefone" from Sheena on the USB stick holding my music library in the car. But for female singers, I have a lot more Blondie (Debbie Harry... swoon :sunglasses: ) and Bananarama on there.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I've got "Telefone" from Sheena on the USB stick holding my music library in the car. But for female singers, I have a lot more Blondie (Debbie Harry... swoon :sunglasses: ) and Bananarama on there.
    Go-Go's and the Bangles, too!

edited February 14
    stickguy said:

general piece of advice for situations like this: take your own pictures. Odometer, keys on the seat, whatever counts. Never take the word of someone that it will be fine. If you don't have in hand a signed release that everything is OK, document document document.

this is also why I don't use the drop the keys and go option at a rental place. I wait a few minutes and make them check the car in, and give me a receipt confirming I returned car, full gas, no damage, etc. Once you walk away, it is blind faith that nothing hinky is going to happen. I am not that trusting!

Yes, lesson learned. I took 1 photograph showing the car was there the morning I dropped it off. Next time I will take 100 photos, including KEY FOB's, and closeups showing no prior existing damage, and more. I think the only reason I didn't do more is because I had the pre-inspection bill of perfect health. Of course, that wouldn't stop someone from arguing the car was damaged AFTER the inspection, but BEFORE drop-off.

I will also insist more forcefully (because I did ask) for some form of acknowledgement on paper.

Lastly, you can avoid all this hassle by not leasing.
    corvette said:

Anyone else having the issue where it looks like there is no more mobile site - Chrome on my iPhone is pulling up the desktop site on these forums?

@tjc78

Supposedly, the fix is in... let us know.

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 14,163

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.

Never heard that one but it represents the bubble gum style of the time.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Anyone else having the issue where it looks like there is no more mobile site - Chrome on my iPhone is pulling up the desktop site on these forums?

@tjc78

Looks good!

• breldbreld Posts: 4,750
    nyccarguy said:

breld said:

Awesome! When in July?
    The concerts are July 27th and 28th. We haven't finalized actual travel plans yet, but probably will be a pretty quick trip - 2-3 nights.

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 MB GLC300 Coupe - 2014 BMW 228i

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,228
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

@tjc78

Yes! Working for me now.
    Been attempting to work a deal for a friend on his Durango replacement. Definitely not a great leasing month. His top 2 choices are a $52k QX60 and $46k Traverse. I can’t even get to $450/mo on them. Yikes.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,635
    What a change from rhe days when you could get $350/month leases all day on the QX60
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC
    Maybe wait a bit. I read this week that Nissan is dumping a bunch of new money into incentives trying to revive sales. I assume that also applies to Infiniti.

ab348 said:

Maybe wait a bit. I read this week that Nissan is dumping a bunch of new money into incentives trying to revive sales. I assume that also applies to Infiniti.

I have a feeling Nissan will end up needing a bailout to survive, given their current predicament.
    So let's say the government decides to give you $100,000, but the catch is you have to buy a car, and you have to spend it before February ends, and anything you don't spend is given back to the government (in typical gov't agency fashion).

What are you buying?
    Can I buy more than one, if the total is under $100k, or is one a hard limit?
    well, if only 1, I suspect the wife would be driving a new X3 and the change would go back. We honestly aren't the types to drive something that cost in that price range. But we could get a really nice X3!

qbrozen said:

Been attempting to work a deal for a friend on his Durango replacement. Definitely not a great leasing month. His top 2 choices are a $52k QX60 and $46k Traverse. I can’t even get to $450/mo on them. Yikes.

Traverse hasn’t leased well since it was introduced.

I guess the shop has sailed on the QX. Those were a great bargain for awhile.

I check Rodo every so often to see if anything on my "short" list is suddenly a deal. so far, no. RDX is a little better than it had been, and the Santa Fe is almost OK now. There are still CRV decent deals out there, but they are still pushing 2019s!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,156
    Gas in the oil issue helps make the CR-V cheaper.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    andres3 said:

So let's say the government decides to give you $100,000, but the catch is you have to buy a car, and you have to spend it before February ends, and anything you don't spend is given back to the government (in typical gov't agency fashion).

What are you buying?

Does it have to be new? Maybe a Hellcat or trackhawk

• ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 717

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

Never heard that one but it represents the bubble gum style of the time.
    Not sure I heard it when it was "new" but it got a lot of spins as "retro" when I worked at an alternative/modern rock station in the '90s.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 14,163
    edited February 15
    andres3 said:

What are you buying?

2020 Corvette with every option possible. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

good choice OF!

I have not seen much about the oil issue on those for a while now. I assume it either really was isolated, or they fixed it during the run so a moot point now for a new one.