Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    stickguy said:

Gorgeous BMW. love the color. Similar to the blue we would get on an X3.

+1 on the color, @rayainsw

Any chance we can get a pic of the interior?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    I took a couple hours this morning to spiff up the ZHP. It is far from perfect, but man, does it clean up nice. Sun is out, so I'll try to get some glamour shots.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    Gorgeous interior. I would like something similar. Tougher sell to my wife.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    Love it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks! That is an impressive color.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Gorgeous car and color combo. Enjoy!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    edited February 2020
    benjaminh said:

I actually kinda like the retro "Piano Key Shifter" on the new Lincoln Corsair, although I'm not sure how functional it would be. Perhaps the button keys should be a little larger?
    And my local dealer actually does have one in stock with an msrp of $37k. And it looks like it has better rear visibility than most other SUVs these days.

Whoa. That's a gen 1.5 Q7 knockoff if I've ever seen one! It is striking how similar it looks to mine on the front end and rear hatch. :s

Not that this is a bad thing; the Q7 is very elegant vehicle.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    rayainsw said:

Sure.
    Interior - color called Mocha.
    - Ray
    A bit darker than the tan interior on the previous one...

Mighty fine car, Ray! Enjoy the stuffin' out of it! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    rayainsw said:

A somewhat better picture -
    that shows the Portimao blue better.
    - Ray
    Sunny but cold here in north Georgia

Now that's a nice blue! Certainly more traditional than the "smurf" blue popular with sporty Audi's lately.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited February 2020
    Beautiful car, @rayainsw- congrats! Color is about the same as the brilliant blue color I had on my Merc. GLC.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    @rayainsw - man, do I love that color combo. Perfect! It's almost like you special ordered it!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    Corsair is definitely going to be my wife's next vehicle.
    It will be while but we just paid final payment on her 2016 MKC and it only has 45k on it.
    The only problems she has had with it are a blown tire from hitting a pothole and having the battery replaced in one of the key fobs.
    Base engine in Corsair is the top Escape option.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 528
    benjaminh said:

I actually kinda like the retro "Piano Key Shifter" on the new Lincoln Corsair, although I'm not sure how functional it would be. Perhaps the button keys should be a little larger?

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/corsair/

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER
    The streamlined design of the piano key shifter strikes a chord. When you need to switch gears, simply touch the key for Park, Drive, Neutral or Reverse and watch your selected setting illuminate."

And my local dealer actually does have one in stock with an msrp of $37k. And it looks like it has better rear visibility than most other SUVs these days.

https://www.oxmoorflm.com/inventory/new-2020-lincoln-corsair-standard-fwd-4d-sport-utility-5lmcj1c90lul04915

Reminds me of the 1959 Dodge with push button automatic transmission that I had for about a month after high school. I remember that and the fins

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    It'd be fun if pressing the piano key gear selector made a noise like hitting a piano key.

Does the screen retract? If not, that design cue is past its prime already.
    greg128 said:

benjaminh said:

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER
    The streamlined design of the piano key shifter strikes a chord. When you need to switch gears, simply touch the key for Park, Drive, Neutral or Reverse and watch your selected setting illuminate."

https://www.oxmoorflm.com/inventory/new-2020-lincoln-corsair-standard-fwd-4d-sport-utility-5lmcj1c90lul04915

Reminds me of the 1959 Dodge with push button automatic transmission that I had for about a month after high school. I remember that and the fins

greg128 said:

benjaminh said:

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER

greg128 said:

benjaminh said:

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER

When I was in HS (late 70's, early 80's), a friend of a friend of my mom's had a '62 or '63 Dart for sale. Slant 6, also with the push button transmission. 2 door, repainted a kind of bronze color with a tartan cloth interior. Looked clean, but I now can't remember why we didn't buy it.

I always pictured repainting it a dark blue, and put some mag wheels on it.

With some decent care and feeding, I suspect that car could still be running.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    'Perfect! It's almost like you special ordered it! '
    LOL
    EXACTLY like that !
    - Ray
    Worth the 6 week wait...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Oof. Guys, that Corsair post is well into 'painful' territory. Please, if you are compelled to quote a post with several photos included, take a moment to delete the photo links (and associated HTML) from the quote before you respond.

We greatly appreciate your kind attention. :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    xwesx said:

Oof. Guys, that Corsair post is well into 'painful' territory. Please, if you are compelled to quote a post with several photos included, take a moment to delete the photo links (and associated HTML) from the quote before you respond.

We greatly appreciate your kind attention. :)

Huh. My scroll seems to have no problem blowing right past them. You may want to have yours looked at. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    tjc78 said:

The Cement color works on the Charger/Challenger but that's about where it ends for me.

It's pretty popular on the Tacoma and Tundra too.

I'll say this it is better than the Khaki color.

Funny, I was at the Manheim auction today and I saw that exact truck as well as some cars with that cement color. You must have programmed me to look for them.👀

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I just bought another very nice new pair of Maui Jim Sunglasses at Costco for about $100. Perfect for the upcoming Spring and Summer driving season in Southern California.

If I lose another pair of sunglasses before 2021, I may look to see if there are any extremely low mileage Neon's on BaT to bid on as I deserve the punishment.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

One of BIL's had one of those small Blazers with the 4.3. He called it a Mini Vette. 4.3 is 6 cylinder version of a 350.
    A story about the 2.8. Back when gas stations still did repairs, I saw an engine block in the garage area of a local service station I did business with, with a nice hole in the side.
    The guy working there told me that a customer brought an S10 that ran rough.
    Turns out it had coolant in the oil.
    Vehicle owner had a warranty, so the mechanic called the warranty company to tell them of the problem.
    They said they wouldn't cover the engine unless it was broken, so he put the phone down and said 'Wait a minute'.
    Started the truck and revved it until it blew a rod. Got back on the phone and told them 'Now it's broke'. :p

I have the 4.3L in my van and it seems to be a reliable if not spectacular motor. Just what you want for a commercial vehicle. The 2.8L on the other hand was a piece of junk from the get go and would blow the head gasket if the motor got even slightly warm.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Sunglasses have a short life with me. I tend to buy relatively inexpensive ones from REI.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    akangl said:

Daughter's "new" CPO '19 Jeep Compass almost became an unpunch yesterday. She went to empty her storage unit and it decided not to start after she shut it off. She called roadside, I went down there and got it started for her after fussing with it for a few mins, she cancelled roadside. She was beyond upset, her dad had just signed the papers on it the day before (they had let her take it over the weekend since he was out of town).

I went with her to the dealer, talked to the sales manager, he didn't want to undo the deal, understandable since legally they don't have to. They took it into service, reflashed the computer, and so far so good. He gave her his card and assured her he would take care of her personally if anything else happened. I do have to give this dealer credit, they have always been wonderful to us.

She was happy today when she got to take it up in the mountains and enjoy the snow. Hopefully that's the only hiccup for a while, she dealt with enough problems over the past year with the Focus.

Ah, the famous Chrysler “reflash”. I had the same mumbo jumbo done on my old PT Cruiser when the tranny got funky. Didn’t really fix anything. Why can’t they flash it right from the factory?

I've given up on good sunglasses forever. I have lost too many nice pairs, so I just buy any decent looking $15 polarized glasses on Amazon.

I have a prescription pair too for when I don't want to wear my contacts and they are MIA as well. I'm hoping I left them at our campground, but I'll have to wait another month to find that out.

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

blazer does look nice. similar to the modern steel I like on the RDX

You may be the perfect guy to buy my ’15 Genny since you like that color. That is what it looks like, in fact, my Genny may even look better. It’s a low mileage car (10 K miles) and it shines up nicely. As much as I’ve tried, I just don’t like the color. Should have kept the ’09 Genny that was Cabernet Red Pearl over beige but I thought I’d reward myself on my retirement so that is why I bought it. I sorta backed myself into a corner with colors because I didn’t want to get another burgundy color because I didn’t want the same color again and I didn’t want black, white, brown, blue or silver, because at the time Mrs. j’s ’12 Legacy was silver. In hindsight, I should have bought what Genesis called Parisian Gray which was a lighter color gray then the Genesis named Empire State Gray (old mans gray) that I did get. I thought the Parisian Gray looked too much like the Subie color but I was wrong. There was enough difference in shades but at the time I didn’t think so.

My neighbors across the street, both of them, liked the color on my Genny from the day they first saw it in the driveway back in June of ‘15. Most neighbors, when they talk, as the discussion ends you usually say, “see ya”. Not my neighbors, they end with saying, “any time you don’t want that car, just park it in our driveway with the keys on the seat. We’ll take care of it, no problem”.

jmonroe
    I like that low mileage. What will it take to do the deal....a thousand, two, am I close?

benjaminh said:

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER

One of our drivers took 10 minutes before he figured out how to put a Lincoln with that set up into gear.

rayainsw said:

Sure.
    Interior - color called Mocha.
    - Ray
    A bit darker than the tan interior on the previous one...

Why do car companies put all black interiors in their cars when they could have that?

andres3 said:

I just bought another very nice new pair of Maui Jim Sunglasses at Costco for about $100. Perfect for the upcoming Spring and Summer driving season in Southern California.

If I lose another pair of sunglasses before 2021, I may look to see if there are any extremely low mileage Neon's on BaT to bid on as I deserve the punishment.

$100 for sunglasses? I’ve owned cars that were worth less.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    I like my Ray Ban Olympian's, first released in 1965.
    Have couple of pairs that I keep in the coordinated vehicle.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Sharp!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

snazzy looking. Just need to get the shop vac out and take care of those floors!

stickguy said:

snazzy looking. Just need to get the shop vac out and take care of those floors!

Pine needle season here. I ran a couple errands and it was unavoidable.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    I'm a big fan of Weathertech rubber mats. They're unsightly, but can be easily hosed off. I like the BMW OE carpet mats in yours, though.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    @rayainsw - your new BMW looks fantastic

@28firefighter - your new (to you) BMW looks great too

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Two things about the Corsair...

First, the piano key shifter reminds me more of the preset keys on the old analog car radios.

Second, is this actually a vehicle with SMALLER blind spots than its previous generation?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    could be. It is pretty square. I like that. Drives me nuts on some of these "utility" vehicles, that I actually want to use to carry stuff, when they make the back so sloped that it makes half the cargo area useless.

Saw that Hyundai is adding some perks, now including 3/36 free maintenance. of course that is just oil/filter changes and tire rotations, but still something!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2020
    Honda released prices and mpg figures for the new CR-V hybrid:

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/channels/honda-cr-v

The Hybrid CR-V gets 40 mpg in the city, compared to the regular model's 27 mpg city rating in AWD form. The Acura RDX with AWD gets 21 mpg in the city.

The upcharge for the CR-V hybrid in EXL form seems reasonable at only $1200, with an msrp of $33,870 with standard AWD, compared to the msrp of a regular CR-V EXL AWD of $32,670.

As stickguy said, since the hybrid engine is more powerful and makes the vehicle faster, it's worth it just for that. But even with low gas prices the hybrid CRV should pay for the extra charge in gas savings in probably about 3 years. And compared to an RDX that uses premium fuel, the CR-V hybrid should save c. $1000 a year in gas costs.

From Honda:
    "The two-motor hybrid system under the hood of the 2020 CR-V Hybrid is similar to the one used in the Honda Accord Hybrid with additional advancements to the hybrid battery’s operating range, enabling more time in EV mode than previous Honda hybrids. Operating without the need for a conventional automatic transmission, the two-motor hybrid-electric powertrain combines a high-efficiency 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC® Atkinson-cycle engine with an electric propulsion motor that produces 232 lb.-ft. of torque, for a total system output of 212 horsepower4.

The two-motor hybrid system uses a propulsion motor and a generator/starter motor built with a patented Honda design that doesn’t use magnets with heavy rare-earth metals, reducing magnet cost and weight. The system manages the power delivery between each component and seamlessly shifts CR-V Hybrid through three distinct drive modes – EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive – automatically selecting the best mode for the conditions with no input from the driver.

Like the AWD system used in the non-hybrid, the 2020 CR-V Hybrid’s Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System™ uses special software to determine traction conditions and when torque is best sent to the rear wheels in low traction conditions, when AWD is most useful. When the system isn’t needed, an electronically controlled clutch deactivates power delivery to the rear wheels to improve fuel efficiency."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    The cargo area in the CR-V is larger than the RDX's. With the seats up the CR-V has 39 feet of cargo space, compared to 29.5 with the RDX. With the seats down the CR-V has 75.8 compared to 58.9 for the RDX. This is one reason why Honda has been selling over 350,000 CR-Vs a year for the last couple of years since the redesign.
    edited February 2020
    If I'm doing it correctly, once you add to the RDX SH-AWD plus blind spot monitoring, etc. it lists for c. $44k. And so although it's not nearly as fancy or nice, and not as fast, you can save c.$10k by getting the CRV Hybrid EXL.

But the CRV Hybrid Touring is more like a luxury model, because it has the premium stereo, heated steering wheel, wireless phone charging, full led headlights, power tailgate, rain sensing windshield wipers, etc. But the CRV hybrid Touring has an msrp of $37k, which is getting close to the base price for the 2-wheel drive RDX, which starts at $39k.

And for those who wanted to see the natural brown interior...sorry it’s dirty already.

That generation is my favorite style-wise.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    benjaminh said:

From Honda:
    "The two-motor hybrid system under the hood of the 2020 CR-V Hybrid is similar to the one used in the Honda Accord Hybrid with additional advancements to the hybrid battery’s operating range, enabling more time in EV mode than previous Honda hybrids. Operating without the need for a conventional automatic transmission, the two-motor hybrid-electric powertrain combines a high-efficiency 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC® Atkinson-cycle engine with an electric propulsion motor that produces 232 lb.-ft. of torque, for a total system output of 212 horsepower4.

The two-motor hybrid system uses a propulsion motor and a generator/starter motor built with a patented Honda design that doesn’t use magnets with heavy rare-earth metals, reducing magnet cost and weight. The system manages the power delivery between each component and seamlessly shifts CR-V Hybrid through three distinct drive modes – EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive – automatically selecting the best mode for the conditions with no input from the driver."

I don't understand how the gas engine delivers power to the wheels without a transmission. Perhaps something got lost in translation.

It would be interesting to determine whether the equipment level on the hybrid matches model for model as the same as the conventional version. I know some manufacturers do strange things with hybrid models to reduce weight or electrical load, by fitting different wheels and tires or otherwise changing the spec of what is included.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited February 2020
    ab348 said:

I don't understand how the gas engine delivers power to the wheels without a transmission. Perhaps something got lost in translation.

It would be interesting to determine whether the equipment level on the hybrid matches model for model as the same as the conventional version. I know some manufacturers do strange things with hybrid models to reduce weight or electrical load, by fitting different wheels and tires or otherwise changing the spec of what is included.

Yeah. I don't really understand it either, but here's what Wards Auto said:

https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-engines-propulsion-systems/honda-wins-again-accord-hybrid-20l-i-vtec

"Most of the time, the propulsion system works like a serial hybrid, with the gasoline engine spinning a motor/generator that produces electricity that powers the front wheels.

But at highway speeds a lock-up clutch connects the ICE directly to the front wheels and uses the generator to recharge the battery. The system also can propel the car in pure EV mode for short distances.

It sounds complicated, but the result is a smooth flow of power to the wheels that is so seamless it doesn’t feel – or sound – like a hybrid. “Most un-hybrid feel of any hybrid. So that’s a big plus,” editor Dave Zoia writes on his scoresheet."

And so maybe the variable speed electric motor itself takes the place of a traditional transmission?

I don't agree, however, that it doesn't seem like a hybrid. It most definitely does seem like a hybrid, and is rather weird in operation imho, with strange rev qualities (for instance, sometimes the engine is going pretty high to recharge the battery even when you don't have it on full throttle). But to save $1000 a year on gas I might be able to get used to it.

The trim levels for the Accord hybrid are almost identical with those for the gas versions, and so it's a good guess the same will hold true for the CR-V hybrid.
    @28firefighter

You got a nice one there! Fantastic color combo. That car should be a lot of fun for you!!

From the Honda previews, essentially the same equipment level other than some hybrid specific features, including button trans. And in their info, the refer to it as a hybrid specific modified CVT (something like that). In any case, a $1,200 up charge is less than I expected, and worth it to me.

Hopefully this means it gets released soon so we can actually drive one.

The new RDX is certainly nice, but one thing it isn’t is fuel efficient. Plus requires PUG.

We could probably be fine with an EXL but would end up with a touring for some specific feature she wants, like memory seats.