Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited April 2020
    jmonroe said:

I never thought I'd say this but it's too bad that the closing on Son #1's second flip house was put on hold do to this virus thingy because I could sure use a few hours to bang on something right about now. :@

jmonroe

If the buyers put it on hold, I would put it back on the market immediately for back up. Hope you have a nice deposit. Hope it works out.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    houdini1 said:

jmonroe said:

I never thought I'd say this but it's too bad that the closing on Son #1's second flip house was put on hold do to this virus thingy because I could sure use a few hours to bang on something right about now. :@

jmonroe

If the buyers put it on hold, I would put it back on the market immediately for back up. Hope you have a nice deposit. Hope it works out.
    The bank he's buying it from put a hold on it but my Son said they are trying to set up a way to do the paperwork remotely with the closing company. However, he still has to do the final walk-through. The realtor women doesn't think that should be a problem either. Time will tell.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We were going to visit kids for Passover in April, and a conference/vacation in June to Hawaii and Australia. Oh well.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Cancelled my road trip to the Black Hills at the end of the month.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

Our vacation is getting cancelled. Cruise to Alaska won’t be happening - even if they don’t cancel it for us, my parents refuse to take the gamble so soon after this mess. Can’t say I disagree, plus I think it is likely to be cancelled by the cruise line - half the season has already been cancelled.

Make a road trip out of it instead. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    xwesx said:

Our vacation is getting cancelled. Cruise to Alaska won’t be happening - even if they don’t cancel it for us, my parents refuse to take the gamble so soon after this mess. Can’t say I disagree, plus I think it is likely to be cancelled by the cruise line - half the season has already been cancelled.

Make a road trip out of it instead. ;)
    Yeah, he should have thought of that himself. Gas aint going to get too much lower either. Some guys need their hand held. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    No road trips. Most hotels and restaurants are closed and we are supposed to stay home!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Drove around in the Tundra yesterday morning and this afternoon while listening to podcasts. If I keep this up, I will actually manage to break 2,000 miles in the second month of ownership!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    stickguy said:

we were never cruise people to start with (for various reasons) but I was not rabid about it (my wife, different story). But you could not pay me to go on a big boat at this point.

my father and his wife had a river boat cruise (some river up the middle of Europe) scheduled for April or May. They scrapped that a while back, rescheduled for IIRC August. Not sure if that will even be happening. Would not upset me, since not really a great time for a pair of 91 YO people to be travelling solo to Europe then being on a boat for 7-10 days (though it is a smaller river boat so way less people, it is still going to be a breeding ground).

We did the riverboat cruise last year. One nice thing: They can't contain you on the boat, if you are determined to get off. Just jump over the side, and swim the 100 yards to shore. (well, maybe not if you are 91).
    As opposed to an ocean cruise.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    We did one Royal Caribbean cruise years ago. We enjoyed the events on shore but we really didn’t enjoy the cruise itself.
    We hoped to take one of those European river cruises(paired with a Euro delivery)- but who knows when things will ever get back to normal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Was supposed to be in Orlando now but was postponed to the last weekend in June. Who knows if it'll even happen then? Crazy times right now!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    we're still hoping our cruise at the end of August can happen. I think the balance of my payment is due mid May. I already booked the flights, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Ours is too. I’m waiting until the last minute to cancel to see what Celebrity does.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Never been on a cruise. I see one of two things happening if I ever do it: I gain 20 lbs, or a bug spreads and I get really sick. I have a friend who is really into it though. I'd rather be somewhere with the keys to a nice car and go on road trips.
  • Options
    Found out (the easy way) that the adaptive cruise on the Tundra isn’t full start/stop. Once the car in front of you slows down to 25 mph or so, you get one beep and then you’d better be ready to hit the brakes (because the car no longer will on its own). Something to keep in mind for future reference.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    fintail said:

Never been on a cruise. I see one of two things happening if I ever do it: I gain 20 lbs, or a bug spreads and I get really sick. I have a friend who is really into it though. I'd rather be somewhere with the keys to a nice car and go on road trips.

+1

Go where you want, stop when you want, eat what you want. All in the comfort of your own car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I learned to like the adaptive cruise, but I still don't really trust it. No way I would let it brake me all the way from highway speeds. I would be applying the brakes long before the car beeped at me that I had to take over!

unless of course I zoned out or fell asleep or something.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I learned to like the adaptive cruise, but I still don't really trust it. No way I would let it brake me all the way from highway speeds. I would be applying the brakes long before the car beeped at me that I had to take over!

Agreed, I just happened upon a safe opportunity to test it (with my foot hovering over the brake pedal). It’s particularly handy if you’re following another vehicle that you don’t plan to pass. I appreciate that Toyota seems to be including it as a standard feature whereas other manufacturers seem to charge extra for the feature, despite the hardware already being there.
  • Options
    suydam said:

No road trips. Most hotels and restaurants are closed and we are supposed to stay home!

I wasn't suggesting he take the trip tomorrow! Besides, it would be a *really* short trip when they get turned around at the border. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

Agreed, I just happened upon a safe opportunity to test it (with my foot hovering over the brake pedal). It’s particularly handy if you’re following another vehicle that you don’t plan to pass. I appreciate that Toyota seems to be including it as a standard feature whereas other manufacturers seem to charge extra for the feature, despite the hardware already being there.
    The Outback has ACC, and it's great to use on longer road trips, where the speed limit varies from 55 to 75 along I-25. I don't have to touch the gas or brake pedals, as the cars in front of me will dictate my speed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    tifighter said:

Winter wheels off, summer wheels on-

does that take special dealer programming? :p

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @tifighter - those wheels look nice and seem less aggressive than what I usually see on Teslas (especially on the Model X). Are those an optional wheel choice?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    qbrozen said:

tifighter said:

Actually, you can reprogram, or reset the TPMS, and/or set the wheel diameter on the infortainment screen. No OBD required.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    breld said:

@tifighter - those wheels look nice and seem less aggressive than what I usually see on Teslas (especially on the Model X). Are those an optional wheel choice?

These are 20's - seems like a lot of them have the optional 22's. I have no interest in that; sidewall is my friend. It's still 45 series tire.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited April 2020
    tifighter said:

breld said:

These are 20's - seems like a lot of them have the optional 22's. I have no interest in that; sidewall is my friend. It's still 45 series tire.
    Wow! Funny how 20" wheels look "small!" Good restraint though to resist the larger wheels that seem so prevalent.

Not that I follow my own advice - I had 22" wheels as the summers on my Q7. I like the aesthetics of the optional 20" wheels on my V90, but I think I'd go with the standard 19" wheels if I had a choice.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @tifighter

Your Model X looks sharp in Red with those wheels.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

Wow! Funny how 20" wheels look "small!" Good restraint though to resist the larger wheels that seem so prevalent.

Not that I follow my own advice - I had 22" wheels as the summers on my Q7. I like the aesthetics of the optional 20" wheels on my V90, but I think I'd go with the standard 19" wheels if I had a choice.
    These wheels are lighter than the 22s, but I will admit the bigger wheels look cool. Those big wheels do get damaged much easier, though.

• Options
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

tifighter said:

If you sell it to someone else, does Tesla remotely disable the extra set of wheels until the new owner pays them the upgrade fee?
    I can't believe Stick hasn't taken his usual shot, yet.

• Options
    So nice to see a Model X that isn't white (brand color of choice for eastside drones).
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Model X getting lotsa love here today. :sunglasses:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    I remember reading a while back that some state or city had banned new drive-thru restaurants to prevent excessive idling. I wonder if restaurants which are suffering severe losses now because they have no drive up service can sue the government.

My credit union had their lobby open until Saturday when the went to drive up only. Not the best idea IMO because now multiple people handle the tube. I also noticed that most of the cars in the long, long line didn’t bother to shut their cars off during the 5-10 minute wait between movement in line. Since the line was a long one I’m guess some of these cars were idling for the better part of 30 minutes.

What ever happened to stop-start?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @tifighter What are your thoughts on the Tesla overlords' decision to not allow paid features to remain on the vehicle after resale? That must have a huge hit on resale value, especially for cars like yours where there is a lot of content that will not carry forward. Some of those features, such as "auto pilot," are not cheap!!

As a resale buyer, I think it is especially an issue for supercharging (or even 12V fast charging). If I had one, I would hack it to allow 12V fast charging.
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    A few weeks back there was a lot of talk regarding tires, the Pilot is just about due for some so I've started looking around. Has anyone had any experience with Les Schwab? We've used Discount Tire for years, but noticed a LS close to the house and apparently road hazard coverage is included in their prices. I haven't looked at what brands they carry yet, or what the coverage takes care of but thought I'd put it out there as I start the legwork. Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    They can order just about anything but push their house brand heavily. I’m a Discount Tire fan personally - more known selection and more competitive on price.
  • Options
    They are big fans of their house brand! I always had good experiences there, but that was a long time ago. Where I grew up, they were the only option available... but at least they did that limitation justice. The last set of tires I had on the E100 were Schwab tires.... 24 years! :D
  • Options
    Les Schwab is huge in small town PNW where there is often little competition, and the service/facilities are a cut above. I don't know of my mother ever going anywhere else, I think they have a loyal customer base.
  • Options
    They have a very loyal following though apparently the Original founder’s family sold it recently and supposedly quality has dropped. I’ve only used them to get an alignment.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    Craftsmanship

• Options
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:
    Craftsmanship
    The folks who could fix that have been furloughed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    They did a nice job of hiding the zip ties that likely hold it in place though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    other than that I like the jeep. a bit miled up though. and dang, even older units have high asking prices.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:
    Craftsmanship
    What a complete moron.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguy said:

other than that I like the jeep. a bit miled up though. and dang, even older units have high asking prices.

The PO was also a bit of a tool slapping on those tacky “guards” on the front side lights as well as the door on the fuel cap. And I always thought leaving those stupid bumper end caps on looked ridiculous.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Hard top? No thanks.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    One thing about wranglers though is they all seem to be customized, but that’s generally OK. As long as matches your taste! And if easily reversible.

I like the hardtop. Good for winter and can always take it off. I just want the 3 piece freedom top (The T top style)

• Options
    There's a nice Wrangler Islander (remember those?) on BaT right now...

• Options
    Didn’t see an islander but this one seems nice.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-jeep-wrangler-29/