Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

My assistant(and friend) who had previously served as Commonwealth's Attorney for the largest county in the state has retired- being a diabetic, cancer survivor, and over 70 made him too vulnerable to do anything but work from home. I hate to lose him; his experience was invaluable. On the bright side, his replacement is a brilliant young woman who will handle the grand juries as well as any necessary legal research.

As for books, I'm currently reading a book my son suggested:

True crime has been a big category for quite a few years now. When worked for a publisher I wanted to see who the average true crime reader was so I staked out a busy bookstore. A good percentage of buyers were sweet little old ladies!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    As long as I make her one too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder.

The expression "clueless youth" didn't just pop up out of thin air.
    We didn't know back then the brain doesn't get completely formed until late 20s. Especially the part that relates to danger and doing things beyond your control. Maybe applies to young people and some older ones who drive faster than they should :)
    From an evolutionary perspective there is some group benefit from young people being risk takers. If young Johnny eats that unfamiliar fruit he might die or he might discover a new food source for the tribe. If no one takes the risk then no one may survive.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I’m reading this.....(duck and cover).....

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    This is the first car I've owned that I can feel the excessive heat from the sun through the panorama sun roof - even with the black fabric electric sunshade closed. I think it's because the fabric shade is more porous than previous shades I have had.

My brother suggested installing 3M Crystaline on the inside of the entire glass roof (their darkest and most heat repellent + UV) which he had installed on his roof. He said it solved his heat problem.

So I am taking the car in this afternoon to the guy I always use and he will apply the tint to both roof window panes. His price is $200 + tax. The side and rear window are already tinted with Crystaline.

I checked around and all the places I contacted were $200-$300 for installation. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Installation is more difficult since they have to cover the seats, etc., due to the fact that they are working "up" to apply the tint rather than on side windows. They use liquid to smooth the tint to adhere to the class and I don't want that stuff all over my leather seats.

Anyone else tint the panorama roof? If so, what experience did you have? 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

So, on the M2C hunt I mentioned I found one at a Tennessee Ford dealer. The sunroof and DCT scream "Buffy's Graduation Present," but even worse, check out the floor mats- the car was definitely owned by a complete and utter moron:
    2019 M2C

Like the car. Agree, it looks like “mummy and daddy” bought Buffy a graduation present. The floor mats are the dead give away. I’ve seen those floor mats advertised in the back of Car and Driver. Never could understand how they sold ANY of them. Still, I could live with the car sans the floor mats.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Looks like it is already on the discount table.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited July 2020
    As I posted over on the CCBA topic, The Kia Store East just received an Indigo Edition Stinger. The are only knocking off $3,500, which is only the Kia Motors rebate. Most other dealers are knocking off another $4,500-$5,000. graphicguy's dealer in Cincy is expecting one but has yet to receive it.
    I may yet go look at it but I dread the games I'd have to play.
    I also entered into an email correspondence with the Genesis dealer, which is currently located in one corner of Oxmoorons Hyundai. No RWD G70 Sport 3.3 cars in stock, but come in and test drive an AWD. Right. One of the things I really hate about Oxmoorons is that they add that stupid flasher to the CHMSL; just what I want- some minimum wage goofball splicing into the factory wiring harness.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    i am thinking about it: just updated to a more thermally protective sunshade

let us know how this works
    abacomike said:

This is the first car I've owned that I can feel the excessive heat from the sun through the panorama sun roof - even with the black fabric electric sunshade closed. I think it's because the fabric shade is more porous than previous shades I have had.

My brother suggested installing 3M Crystaline on the inside of the entire glass roof (their darkest and most heat repellent + UV) which he had installed on his roof. He said it solved his heat problem.

So I am taking the car in this afternoon to the guy I always use and he will apply the tint to both roof window panes. His price is $200 + tax. The side and rear window are already tinted with Crystaline.

I checked around and all the places I contacted were $200-$300 for installation. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Installation is more difficult since they have to cover the seats, etc., due to the fact that they are working "up" to apply the tint rather than on side windows. They use liquid to smooth the tint to adhere to the class and I don't want that stuff all over my leather seats.

Anyone else tint the panorama roof? If so, what experience did you have? 🤓

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited July 2020
    @abacomike, I wasn’t a fan of the fabric shades over my panoramic or regular sized moon roofs. Mine were light so there were some reflective properties to them which were beneficial. All in all they allowed too much heat and brightness to the interior for my liking especially during the summers. Can anyone tell me why they use them rather than solid sliders? For the kind of money you spend for the car you shouldn’t have to spend another $200 to mitigate a problem.
    edited July 2020

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder.

We didn't know back then the brain doesn't get completely formed until late 20s. Especially the part that relates to danger and doing things beyond your control. Maybe applies to young people and some older ones who drive faster than they should :)
    From an evolutionary perspective there is some group benefit from young people being risk takers. If young Johnny eats that unfamiliar fruit he might die or he might discover a new food source for the tribe. If no one takes the risk then no one may survive.
    Oh I see. Hey Johnny, that looks interesting, why not try eating some of those raw cashew nuts over there?

(Cashews
    Cashews are another delicious product that should never, ever be eaten raw. (When you buy them, they’ve usually been roasted.) Native to the Amazon, the cashew is not really a nut, but rather a seed that protrudes oddly from the bottom of a fruit (also edible, though rarely seen outside the tropics) called the cashew fruit. You may have noticed that cashews are never found in their shell as almonds or peanuts are, and that’s because when raw, they’re covered with anacardic acid, closely related to the acid that makes poison ivy so irritating. It’s much worse when you eat it.)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I have pano roofs in both cars. The Buick has black mesh screens and the Volvo has a white mesh screen.

I haven’t noticed either one allowing excess heat in.... but I don’t live in South Florida either.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Oh I see. Hey Johnny, that looks interesting, why not try eating some of those raw cashew nuts over there?

(Cashews
    Cashews are another delicious product that should never, ever be eaten raw. (When you buy them, they’ve usually been roasted.) Native to the Amazon, the cashew is not really a nut, but rather a seed that protrudes oddly from the bottom of a fruit (also edible, though rarely seen outside the tropics) called the cashew fruit. You may have noticed that cashews are never found in their shell as almonds or peanuts are, and that’s because when raw, they’re covered with anacardic acid, closely related to the acid that makes poison ivy so irritating. It’s much worse when you eat it.)
    So after Johnny threw himself off a cliff with poison ivy of the mouth, young Janie figured out how to roast them. She dared to go back and take a risk again. The tribe probably made her queen.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    The tribe went nuts and chased her around the fire saying, "I'm a cashew!"
    Everybody knows that one.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    carnaught said:

@abacomike, I wasn’t a fan of the fabric shades over my panoramic or regular sized moon roofs. Mine were light so there were some reflective properties to them which were beneficial. All in all they allowed too much heat and brightness to the interior for my liking especially during the summers. Can anyone tell me why they use them rather than solid sliders? For the kind of money you spend for the car you shouldn’t have to spend another $200 to mitigate a problem.

because with a pano roof there isn't enough room left to stow the solid shade. Need a fabric one so it can roll up in the back.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited July 2020
    Every month our electric utility sends an email about our electric useage.
    This month it says our home is 32 out of 100 similar households.

Similar households used 1053 Kw.
    Efficient households used 790 Kw.
    Our house used 720 kw.

And we're #32 for efficiency.

Is this the new math?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Many of you will be happy (or perhaps disappointed) to learn that yesterday’s story on so called Covid parties is fake. It sure sounded phony to me.
    https://apple.news/AOagzzwA2TPe6VjQszh-iRA
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    They installed the Crystaline 40 tint inside both pieces of glass - the stationary one in the back and the movable one in the front. I already noticed a difference in the heat and light transmission through the glass and the shade. Hopefully it will also be good for the leather seats.

I'll know better when I get in the car tomorrow.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    carnaught said:

I agree. I don’t have that problem with the pano roof in my ‘15 Genny and the interior of the roof is black. Having to pay to fix a design flaw is what happens when you buy a wannabe.😩

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    suydam said:

Many of you will be happy (or perhaps disappointed) to learn that yesterday’s story on so called Covid parties is fake. It sure sounded phony to me.

How do we know which source is fake news?😳

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Because even in the original story no evidence was provided. Which CNN and other media finally realized.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

Because even in the original story no evidence was provided. Which CNN and other media finally realized.

Sorry, that doesn’t prove anything to me. What I’m getting at is, read everything with a grain of salt unless you know for a fact otherwise.

jmonroe

Our house used 720 kw.

Is this the new math?

I am assuming you live in the dark and use the Braille method to move from room to room - kind of "feel your way around"! 🤪🤓😜

2021 Genesis G90

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

I would shudder to think of our alcohol bill since March 15th. No, I’m not figuring it out!

I need a bigger recycling bin.
    Yeah.....but you have the most awarded and greatest selection of bourbons right outside your door!;)
    houdini1 said:

Looks like it is already on the discount table.
    On the contrary...

It has sold nearly 800,000 copies just since it’s official release and is #1 on the New York Times Best Seller List.

Good Book..... Bolton’s a smart man regardless of whether you do or don’t agree with his politics.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

(Cashews
    So after Johnny threw himself off a cliff with poison ivy of the mouth, young Janie figured out how to roast them. She dared to go back and take a risk again. The tribe probably made her queen.
    Natural selection at work. These days people would think Johnny should get some of the profits (ot at least his surviving family members) from Janie's new prosperous business...she created through Johnny's hard work and sacrifice.

edited July 2020
    stickguy said:

carnaught said:

because with a pano roof there isn't enough room left to stow the solid shade. Need a fabric one so it can roll up in the back.
    ...or move to a more moderate climate.......I have never found the OEM shade to be a problem....can't have everything perfect for just Florida residents. :)

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I'll take a look. Is it listed under fiction or non fiction?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

carnaught said:

My wife's X3 has pano roof and a solid shade.

The GTI has a pano roof that opens over top the roof.... and, has a mesh shade. Not as good as solid, for keeping out the heat. Found that out today (90 F)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

carnaught said:

I agree. I don’t have that problem with the pano roof in my ‘15 Genny and the interior of the roof is black. Having to pay to fix a design flaw is what happens when you buy a wannabe.😩

jmonroe

Take the Genny to Florida and see what you think. I have never thought my OEM liner was a problem....it is 90 degrees here today and will be for the next week! I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

houdini1 said:

I'll take a look. Is it listed under fiction or non fiction?

OK....better stop now!

Does anyone else watch netflix and you get the black screen of death that won't allow you to load your program?
    I tried unplugging the router, pressing the button in. It tells you to try later but that doesn't help.

Usually I just do the old unplug and then plugin again so it can reboot.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

carnaught said:

jmonroe

Take the Genny to Florida and see what you think. I have never thought my OEM liner was a problem....it is 90 degrees here today and will be for the next week! I guess some people are more sensitive than others.
    Driver, it's not the air temperature that makes it hot inside the car - it's the direct sunlight that causes the intense heat. Here in South Florida the direct rays of the sun are much more intense than in Toronto or New York. We are the farthest southern land mass In the US - even further south than the Mojave Desert in CA where the temps are 105+ degrees.

2021 Genesis G90

my theory with the moonroof, pano or otherwise, is if it is below 90, or cloudy, the roof should be open. so the idea of tinting it (or worrying about the shade) makes no sense to me!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

my theory with the moonroof, pano or otherwise, is if it is below 90, or cloudy, the roof should be open. so the idea of tinting it (or worrying about the shade) makes no sense to me!

While parked outside?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    All these sunroof problems make me happy that I avoided getting a sunroof when we shopped for this Malibu. I gave up a couple of options just to avoid the mandated sunroof.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Our house used 720 kw.

Is this the new math?

We get that too, usually telling us we use twice the electricity of similar households. They don’t bother to mention that those other household heat with oil or gas while ours is 100% electric.

I’m convinced they do that to make us feel bad.

edited July 2020
    suydam said:

You mean what you hear on the internet could be false? I think you’re making that up! :'(

I find it hard to believe that ABC wouldn’t fact check before reporting.

Speaking of fake news, I got a notice from my pharmacy and my insurance carrier about some sort of “contamination” in a medication that was a carcinogen. Being the skeptic I am I did some research and found that this scary substance was something found in water, hot dogs and vegetables. Furthermore one study I looked at said that if you consumed the amount involved every day for 70 years you had a 1 in 100,000 chance of developing cancer.

I can’t wait to see the ambulance chaser ads on TV inviting me to join a class action.

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

While parked outside?
    no, you close it then. And when you get back in, open it wide to blow the hot air out!

I go with the 5x65 AC plan. 4 windows down, roof open, and 65 MPH cools it right off!

speaking of outside, went to dinner tonight for the first time since March in NJ. outside of course, but the place had big tents set up over all the outside tables. And the warmth does not bother me. Local brewery/restaurant that we like to frequent. Just nice to be waited on and not have to bring the food home in Styrofoam.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

While parked outside?
    no, you close it then. And when you get back in, open it wide to blow the hot air out!

I go with the 5x65 AC plan. 4 windows down, roof open, and 65 MPH cools it right off!
    When I lived in Phoenix for college I had the (2+1)x55 plan with my Sunbird - both windows and the aftermarket sunroof. The car had no AC.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

Stick, just spend one summer down here and it will make sense - believe me! With 88 degrees and 75% humidity, you keep the sunroof closed and the AC running on high fan speed. But it's usually 95 degrees out with 75%+ humidity.

I open my sunroof in winter when it's 65 - 80 degrees an low humidity - about a dozen times a year. I love driving at night with the roof open in winter - delightful. But if my car had no sunroof, I would not be disappointed. 😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

nope. 85 is windows open time.

I never bother opening the sunroof, but I love the fact it lets in light and in cooler weather I can see the sky.
    It is like if I lived in a condo apartment....I would need a balcony, even if I never went out on it. I know in my mind, I could go out if I wanted to. Or if I was sick in bed....I still need a car just so I know I can go somewhere...if I really have to.

These stories feed my paranoia.

I was watching a video from SuperSpeederRob who rents exotic cars. He was ranting that some of his competitors use some sort of odometer blocker to keep mileage from recording on the cars. Then when they sell them they defraud the buyer with altered mileage.

I wonder how common this is on every day cars. Say someone installs one of these on their TLX so that at trade in time they get more money? Potentially you could have a lot of miled up cars being sold everywhere. How would you know?

https://mileagestopper.com/en/

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I would not have a car without a moon roof. That’s what would give me pause about acquiring a Supra.
    unless I am getting something cheap, purely to have it be cheap, anything I buy will have a moonroof. Only exception is if it is some sort of spare utility vehicle that is mostly going to sit around unless there is work to be done (like a pick up)

Our house used 720 kw.

Is this the new math?

We get that too, usually telling us we use twice the electricity of similar households. They don’t bother to mention that those other household heat with oil or gas while ours is 100% electric.

I’m convinced they do that to make us feel bad.
    Same here. I’m usually higher than every other house around. In my case, my house is bigger than all my neighbors with the two additions so it makes sense.

I always get a moonroof, but really don’t use it much in the summer. If it’s above 75 AC is on.

I do like using it when it’s cool out.