Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited July 2020

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

I am watching the Phillies and Marlins game on TV and am truly enjoying watching baseball again! I really missed watching Major League Baseball. Can't wait for football to begin!🤓🤪😜

I resubscribed to MLB TV on Friday in time to watch the Mets win their opener. Then things got back to normal yesterday when the bullpen blew the lead with 2 out in the 9th and they lost in extra innings. It's hard being a Mets fan.
    Because of something to do with baseball I am boycotting MLB for the time being.
    Because of something to do with most major sports, the NHL is the only major sport I will be following for the time being.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

For those who don't believe people are having parties. This house party took place just outside of Toronto, estimate 200 people attended. There are 100 to 150 cars parked on the property....some who were there said the virus is fake.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-break-up-brampton-house-party-with-200-reportedly-inside-1.5663755
    The homeowner could be fined $100000!

Well, you Canadaians are a wild bunch. ;)

I heard of one guy who got fined for drinking his Tim Horton’s coffee in his car.
    Generally, a great majority of Canadians are following the rules, and it seems to be working but doesn't take much to set things off and go downhill fast. People have been fined $800 for walking in a park or playing basketball etc. But, a huge house party with 200 people, and someone was even there to park the cars........ :@
    Pretty strict rules in Canada, but their actual death rate is higher than the U.S.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

All you guys with some old but still good audio stuff must have taken very good care of them over the years; maybe even given them a few wax jobs to keep them looking good too. B)

jmonroe

We still have one in the basement...a Realistic.
    Realistic was Radio Shack's house brand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    andres3 said:

My mother keeps saying there's great tiny speakers that sound just as good as my tall deep towers, but she just doesn't understand.

If you are discussing stereo equipment with your Mom, you are doing it wrong.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited July 2020
    People are out stocking up. I have found one advantage from the toilet paper shortage
    here due to the panic induced about the China Virus: I have sampled many different brands
    of toilet paper that I bought over a period of time as different brands were available and I just
    grabbed one package when I saw it.

I still like the Cottonelle and the Northern best.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I still have my Oppo region-free DVD player that I might power on once a year now. I don't think I've bought a DVD since maybe around 2012.
    andres3 said:

Speaking of beasts.... OPPO is no more

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    abacomike said:

Already the local TV stations are ramping up the forecasts for this tropical storm. They state we should stock up on batteries, food, water, etc. They are not predicting a hurricane but a strong tropical storm. They do not know where in Florida it will hit because the center of circulation has not developed yet.

This is the difference between hurricanes/tropical storms, earthquakes and tornadoes. With tornadoes and earthquakes, they come and go within minutes. With storms like this, you are in a sort of suspended animation for 5-7 days while the storm is tracked.

That is much better for the weathertainment TV ratings.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Don't hold your breath - although the majority of NHL players still hail from places other than the land of the free and the home of medical bankruptcy, more will probably dare to say something as time goes on and things don't change.

Death rate numbers are only as good as the quality of data coming into them. There are entire swaths of the US who I trust about as much as China when it comes to honest numbers.
    houdini1 said:

Because of something to do with most major sports, the NHL is the only major sport I will be following for the time being.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited July 2020
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Looks like there is a developing tropical storm about 500 miles east of Puerto Rico and is expected to track west north west toward Florida. No indication yet if it will strengthen into a hurricane.

I am going to go food and supply shopping tomorrow to get prepared. If it looks like we are going to get hit by a hurricane, I will drive up to my brother's in Ponte Vedra.

Just something else to worry about.🤓

Thought about you there in Florida when I saw the cone a couple days back for this projected path. They're predicting "only"tropical storm level if it hits FL, but those things often change.
    Even tropical storms can be bad - 60-70 mph winds with rain is nothing to sneeze at. Just got back from shopping - Walmart was jammed and they were out of some things.

I will fill the car up with gasoline tomorrow morning just to be safe.
    I was at Sam’s Club this morning and they have the 36 roll packs of toilet paper. Haven’t seen that since March and now the hurricanes are going to mess things up again.
    Did you stock up?
    Nah, I still have an 18 pack from Walmart. I did get a package of paper towels that were bigger than my trunk.

I have a question for you. What’s going on with people from British Columbia not wanting visitors from Alberta? I‘ve read of threatening notes put on windshields and cars getting keyed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

All you guys with some old but still good audio stuff must have taken very good care of them over the years; maybe even given them a few wax jobs to keep them looking good too. B)

jmonroe

We still have one in the basement...a Realistic.
    Realistic was Radio Shack's house brand.
    Pioneer made some of their stuff IIRC.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

I have a question for you. What’s going on with people from British Columbia not wanting visitors from Alberta? I‘ve read of threatening notes put on windshields and cars getting keyed.

It seems to be happening in every province with plates from elsewhere. We even had a case here with someone local who had a fake NY Ghostbusters plate (it says ECTO-something) getting a nasty note on their windshield telling them to go back where they came from.

It is being done by a subset of the populace who have paranoia about the virus, and now that most provinces have things under control and are gradually easing interprovincial travel, those people are convinced visitors are going to bring it with them. It is even worse if you have US plates. The border is closed but some American-plated cars were here when things shut down and those people are really being abused.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I started listening yesterday to this audiobook....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    houdini1 said:

ab348 said:

abacomike said:

I am watching the Phillies and Marlins game on TV and am truly enjoying watching baseball again! I really missed watching Major League Baseball. Can't wait for football to begin!🤓🤪😜

I resubscribed to MLB TV on Friday in time to watch the Mets win their opener. Then things got back to normal yesterday when the bullpen blew the lead with 2 out in the 9th and they lost in extra innings. It's hard being a Mets fan.
    Because of something to do with baseball I am boycotting MLB for the time being.
    I just can’t get excited about any of the sports I used to love and follow. They just seem like breeding grounds for the virus now — and not just for the players, but the low level employees who are required in order to make those games happen. It just does t seem right at this time.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @abacomike — yes, hurricanes are scary — but you knew that when you chose to locate there, right? Maybe this is what makes Floridians so crazy! :p
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Looks like there is a developing tropical storm about 500 miles east of Puerto Rico and is expected to track west north west toward Florida. No indication yet if it will strengthen into a hurricane.

I am going to go food and supply shopping tomorrow to get prepared. If it looks like we are going to get hit by a hurricane, I will drive up to my brother's in Ponte Vedra.

Just something else to worry about.🤓

Thought about you there in Florida when I saw the cone a couple days back for this projected path. They're predicting "only"tropical storm level if it hits FL, but those things often change.
    Even tropical storms can be bad - 60-70 mph winds with rain is nothing to sneeze at. Just got back from shopping - Walmart was jammed and they were out of some things.

I will fill the car up with gasoline tomorrow morning just to be safe.
    I was at Sam’s Club this morning and they have the 36 roll packs of toilet paper. Haven’t seen that since March and now the hurricanes are going to mess things up again.
    Did you stock up?
    Nah, I still have an 18 pack from Walmart. I did get a package of paper towels that were bigger than my trunk.

Some of those big packs are huge, one case of paper towels could last us a year....but, nice to not have to remember to buy more every other week.

Simple answer is British Columbia has a very low rate of covid...Alberta's is a bit higher. Provinces that are doing better don't want visitors from provinces with higher rates. It seems to be helping.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Too many AB retirees buying up real estate in southeastern BC. I think Albertans are like Canadian Californians or Texans ;)

edited July 2020
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

For those who don't believe people are having parties. This house party took place just outside of Toronto, estimate 200 people attended. There are 100 to 150 cars parked on the property....some who were there said the virus is fake.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-break-up-brampton-house-party-with-200-reportedly-inside-1.5663755

I heard of one guy who got fined for drinking his Tim Horton’s coffee in his car.
    Generally, a great majority of Canadians are following the rules, and it seems to be working but doesn't take much to set things off and go downhill fast. People have been fined $800 for walking in a park or playing basketball etc. But, a huge house party with 200 people, and someone was even there to park the cars........ :@
    Pretty strict rules in Canada, but their actual death rate is higher than the U.S.
    Check your source Mr Houdini. I want to be careful because this virus can come back with a vengeance, but Canada has 1/10th of the population of the U.S. Number of deaths in the U.S. 151,000, number in Canada 9000. Number of cases, the United States has three million, while Canada has 107,000. Numbers can change, but that is the way it is now.

edited July 2020
    kyfdx Realistic was Radio Shack's house brand.

I forgot about that link....good old Radio Shack, handy place to run to when you needed a bulb or a wire - miss them.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited July 2020
    fintail said:

Too many AB retirees buying up real estate in southeastern BC. I think Albertans are like Canadian Californians or Texans ;)

This is the second or third wave. When I bought a condo in Richmond (YVR) in '73 the prices were pretty reasonable, and I even came from Edmonton. In any event, the Hong Kong Chinese drove the Lower Mainland prices up more than anything that's happened before or since. In my top five biggest mistakes of my life, leaving the Vancouver area is in the top 3, though when I visited last summer the traffic, among other things, took a fair amount of bloom off the rose.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Vancouver might just be my favorite city. I’d move there in a flash but alas, could not afford it!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    benjaminh said:

That sounds like a perceptive book. I like to drive and I like to do manual work. When I think of it, I never worked in an office in the traditional sense. Even when I was white collar I worked mainly on the road.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    ab348 said:

It seems to be happening in every province with plates from elsewhere. We even had a case here with someone local who had a fake NY Ghostbusters plate (it says ECTO-something) getting a nasty note on their windshield telling them to go back where they came from.

It is being done by a subset of the populace who have paranoia about the virus, and now that most provinces have things under control and are gradually easing interprovincial travel, those people are convinced visitors are going to bring it with them. It is even worse if you have US plates. The border is closed but some American-plated cars were here when things shut down and those people are really being abused.
    Yet they are out and about and touching strange cars. Brilliant.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Heck, even when I was younger, housing wasn't too insane there, no worse than Seattle. Then Vancouver went off the charts because of the immigration wave you mention, Seattle followed some time later, now both are unaffordable to normal working people (but Vancouver does a better job with upzoning, Seattle can be really NIMBY about it). The lower mainland is just like Seattle, full of transplants, some loved more than others.

The traffic can be insane there, but I live in the middle of traffic hell, so it's no different. At least they were smart enough to put in a light rail line when it was easier to build. I've always seen Vancouver as a cleaner somewhat more developed version of Seattle. As I missed being able to go to the Auto Show, and I was planning to go to to the Memorial Cup in Kelowna, I'll probably take a long weekend north of the border asap if/when things return to normal - but I am not making plans anytime this year.

This is the second or third wave. When I bought a condo in Richmond (YVR) in '73 the prices were pretty reasonable, and I even came from Edmonton. In any event, the Hong Kong Chinese drove the Lower Mainland prices up more than anything that's happened before or since. In my top five biggest mistakes of my life, leaving the Vancouver area is in the top 3, though when I visited last summer the traffic, among other things, took a fair amount of bloom off the rose.

benjaminh said:

Even when I was white collar I worked mainly on the road.
    So they never really gave you a real office or a desk?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    fintail said:

I still have my Oppo region-free DVD player that I might power on once a year now. I don't think I've bought a DVD since maybe around 2012.

andres3 said:

Those bring pretty big money on eBay and Audiogon. I’ve got a CDP 205 that I doubt I’ll ever get rid of. Oppo is still around. But, they quit making audio gear (much to my chagrin).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

I forgot about that link....good old Radio Shack, handy place to run to when you needed a bulb or a wire - miss them.
    Me too. They had a nice battery program, too. Really good batteries for really cheap. Need speaker wire? Need fuses? Need diodes? Need solder? Radio Shack was where you found all those things.

I’ve heard some of their audio gear. Some of it was trash. But, I’ve heard some that was pretty good. Don’t know who they were rebranding (doubt they made it themselves), but it was a good partnership.
    edited July 2020

Vancouver might just be my favorite city. I’d move there in a flash but alas, could not afford it!

One of my faves, too. Alas, we (U.S. Citizens) aren’t allowed there right now. But, I get it. Canada is under control. U.S. (at least some major areas) does not.

My county is making it easy for COVID testing. You don’t even have to get out of your car. I’ve been tested twice. Not fun, but taking advantage and staying safe.
    Went to a retirement get-together for a friend at Wright Patterson Airforce Base yesterday. He just put in 40 years working for Uncle Sam. God Bless him as that’s not something I could have pulled off. Still, he’s retiring, taking some time off (supposed to be taking around the globe cruise, but COVID-19.........). So, a group of us threw a little party at the base. For the first time in his career, he accepted our catering and gifts. Previously, he would not, did not, accept so much as a free cup of coffee, adhering to the rules of what he could/could not do as a military employee. This time, he welcomed all of it.

While I was in Dayton, I got the chance to go to an audio swap meet. Loaded those Magnepan LRSs in the back of the Stinger and tried to “swap”. Most if what I saw was trashed audio products...a lot of mini-disk players (which weren’t popular even at the peak of marketing them). Found some crazy speakers. EOSONE speakers, which was Best Buy’s high end house brand at one point in time). Luxman stereo receivers, which I didn’t even know they made.

Some Klipsch Heresy 3 way horn speakers caught my eye since the wood working on them was exceptional. They were new, being sold by a dealer, but apparently not a color the person who had them could sell.......matte black (with nice open pore wood grain). We went back and forth for a while. Since he’s not a Magnepan Dealer, he said he didn’t know if he could resell them. I pointed out that NOT being a dealer and having them in his inventory would bring in new customers that he may not see.

Hooked them up....MERCY. I forgot how good a well designed speaker could sound. Big soundstage. Just a big sound all the way around, in a good way. I’d have to throw yet more money at them to make a deal. But, I told him mine were for sale at $275 ($25 more than I paid, but still a really good deal). I told him to to come up with a number for his Klipsch. He’s supposed to get back to me today.

Went to a retirement get-together for a friend at Wright Patterson Airforce Base yesterday. He just put in 40 years working for Uncle Sam. God Bless him as that’s not something I could have pulled off. Still, he’s retiring, taking some time off (supposed to be taking around the globe cruise, but COVID-19.........). So, a group of us threw a little party at the base. For the first time in his career, he accepted our catering and gifts. Previously, he would not, did not, accept so much as a free cup of coffee, adhering to the rules of what he could/could not do as a military employee. This time, he welcomed all of it.

While I was in Dayton, I got the chance to go to an audio swap meet. Loaded those Magnepan LRSs in the back of the Stinger and tried to “swap”. Most if what I saw was trashed audio products...a lot of mini-disk players (which weren’t popular even at the peak of marketing them). Found some crazy speakers. EOSONE speakers, which was Best Buy’s high end house brand at one point in time). Luxman stereo receivers, which I didn’t even know they made.

Some Klipsch Heresy 3 way horn speakers caught my eye since the wood working on them was exceptional. They were new, being sold by a dealer, but apparently not a color the person who had them could sell.......matte black (with nice open pore wood grain). We went back and forth for a while. Since he’s not a Magnepan Dealer, he said he didn’t know if he could resell them. I pointed out that NOT being a dealer and having them in his inventory would bring in new customers that he may not see.

Hooked them up....MERCY. I forgot how good a well designed speaker could sound. Big soundstage. Just a big sound all the way around, in a good way. I’d have to throw yet more money at them to make a deal. But, I told him mine were for sale at $275 ($25 more than I paid, but still a really good deal). I told him to to come up with a number for his Klipsch. He’s supposed to get back to me today.

So he was at a swap meet trying to sell these speakers but didn’t have a number for them??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Talked to my sister yesterday. She said Covid cases in the Dayton are are on the rise.
    At one point, there were only a few people being hospitalized, but now the Covid section is at full capacity at the hospital where her husband is a doctor.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yikes.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Check your source Mr Houdini. I want to be careful because this virus can come back with a vengeance, but Canada has 1/10th of the population of the U.S. Number of deaths in the U.S. 151,000, number in Canada 9000. Number of cases, the United States has three million, while Canada has 107,000. Numbers can change, but that is the way it is now.
    The question is does Canada count Covid deaths the same way as the U.S. does? It is suspected that the U.S. death toll is highly inflated as many people who are counted as a Covid death actually died of other causes like a motorcycle crash.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

Me too. They had a nice battery program, too. Really good batteries for really cheap. Need speaker wire? Need fuses? Need diodes? Need solder? Radio Shack was where you found all those things.

I’ve heard some of their audio gear. Some of it was trash. But, I’ve heard some that was pretty good. Don’t know who they were rebranding (doubt they made it themselves), but it was a good partnership.
    My recollection of Radio Shack was that if you were building from scratch or repairing it was the place to go. If you were looking for a already built product they were so so.

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

Yet they are out and about and touching strange cars. Brilliant.
    There’s a solution to that. Just put a sticker on the car saying something like “virus contaminated, maintain 6 foot distance”. If they’re that paranoid they’ll give your car a wide berth.

stickguy said:

Not surprising. Areas that decided to ignore it or pretend it didn’t exist, and not follow very basic protocols (not Dayton specifically) are seeing surges. Who woulda guessed that? Other than all the scientists and experts, but hey, what do they know anyway?

Dont forget that over the past couple of months there have been ongoing large gatherings that has to be spreading Covid.

edited July 2020
    driver100 said:

benjaminh said:

Even when I was white collar I worked mainly on the road.
    So they never really gave you a real office or a desk?

Now that’s working in the field for sure.

I had two jobs as a social worker. The first was as a program director doing outreach with poor people. I had an office to do paperwork but spent most of my time going to home visits.

My other job as health care field representative involved traveling all over visiting doctors, nurses, social workers and commissioners. I worked from home but probably spent 90% of my time on the road.

Then I smartened up and became a farmer.👩‍🌾

I remember now why I don't use mechanics.

Got a call back on the Charger. Went through the list. Oil change, coolant change, trans service, brake fluid change, intake cleaning, new oil pressure sender, thermostat, tightened up various components on the front end, alignment, tire rotation and balance .... $3300! He wanted another $700 for spark plugs, but I turned that down. Not sure what the heck that's about, but the plugs cost about $50 and are all easily accessible. Even if it took 3 hrs (which it shouldn't), that's about $470 at their rates. He says it will be a whole new car. Told him for 1/3rd the purchase price, I hope so.

I'm just chalking it up to a learning experience. Probably could have done all those fluids, sender, and thermostat for about $400. Then get the alignment, rotation, and balance done for ... what? $300? $400? $2500 in labor is ... wow. I could spend 30 of my own hours and it would still be worth it.

qbrozen said:

So he was at a swap meet trying to sell these speakers but didn’t have a number for them??
    I should have been better in my description. I first struck up a conversation with one of the dealers. He had a brick and mortar store nearby, which is where I heard his Klipsch.

He threw out a number which I wasn’t interested. He wants to check how much he has in his speakers, which he said he didn’t know off the top of his head.

He could probably make $200-$250 on my speakers. Not sure he’s interested in having speakers he can only make a couple hundred dollars on.
    edited July 2020
    Engineering Explained has a 7-minute video that says synthetic oil is better. I'm convinced. Seems worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    @qbrozen - ouch!

Not sure if I've mentioned here, but my mom has stopped driving, and we recently moved her into a full time care facility close to my sister in San Diego. My sister has taken possession of my moms car - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 with all of 39,000 miles on it.

My sister took it to her trusted independent mechanic (her FIL used him for 20+ years). Based on feedback from the CCBA thread, I was expecting belts, hoses, tires to need attention, along with other deferred maintenance.

Turns out it only needed an oil change and a transmission fluid flush - $250 total.

To say I was surprised would be an understatement.

It does need some cosmetic work done - it's missing some of the chrome window trim, and the passenger side rear view mirror is cracked and needs to be replaced.

Mechanically, the cruise control doesn't work, and there is a known issue with the fuel filler setup that makes it difficult to fill the gas tank.

Her kids will be driving it to Atascadero on Saturday for a wedding - just over 300 miles, one way.

Eventually, when I can get out to California, I'll drive the Sonata back and make it my DD.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    qbrozen said:

Got a call back on the Charger. Went through the list. Oil change, coolant change, trans service, brake fluid change, intake cleaning, new oil pressure sender, thermostat, tightened up various components on the front end, alignment, tire rotation and balance .... $3300! He wanted another $700 for spark plugs, but I turned that down. Not sure what the heck that's about, but the plugs cost about $50 and are all easily accessible. Even if it took 3 hrs (which it shouldn't), that's about $470 at their rates. He says it will be a whole new car. Told him for 1/3rd the purchase price, I hope so.

I'm just chalking it up to a learning experience. Probably could have done all those fluids, sender, and thermostat for about $400. Then get the alignment, rotation, and balance done for ... what? $300? $400? $2500 in labor is ... wow. I could spend 30 of my own hours and it would still be worth it.

That seems really overpriced for what amounts to fluid changes, what I'm guessing is a minor mechanical repair (oil pressure sender), and other maintenance items. $700 for spark plugs? Are you paying the next 4 swaps in advance or what?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    qbrozen said:

And yet some people use this crook as "the guy." Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    That is insanity, @qbrozen. Sorry to hear that happened.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

....Eventually, when I can get out to California, I'll drive the Sonata back and make it my DD.

Now that's an economical daily driver!++

@qbrozen : That does seem very steep for what they did.
    qbrozen said:

Wow! Where did you take it, the Rolls Royce dealership? Assuming the most egregious overcharging ever I can’t see all that stuff costing more than $1000.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited July 2020
    fintail said:

andres3 said:

Blurays are much better tech than ancient DVD's. Then of course there is 4K as the latest and greatest, but I don't see much value in it yet as sources and material have to catch up to technology.

Also has USB input so you can play the latest whiz bang file formats computer geeks come up with.

I will admit, Netflix picture and sound quality, even with mediocre internet service speeds is light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

@qbrozen - ouch!

Not sure if I've mentioned here, but my mom has stopped driving, and we recently moved her into a full time care facility close to my sister in San Diego. My sister has taken possession of my moms car - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 with all of 39,000 miles on it.

My sister took it to her trusted independent mechanic (her FIL used him for 20+ years). Based on feedback from the CCBA thread, I was expecting belts, hoses, tires to need attention, along with other deferred maintenance.

Turns out it only needed an oil change and a transmission fluid flush - $250 total.

To say I was surprised would be an understatement.

It does need some cosmetic work done - it's missing some of the chrome window trim, and the passenger side rear view mirror is cracked and needs to be replaced.

Mechanically, the cruise control doesn't work, and there is a known issue with the fuel filler setup that makes it difficult to fill the gas tank.

Her kids will be driving it to Atascadero on Saturday for a wedding - just over 300 miles, one way.

Eventually, when I can get out to California, I'll drive the Sonata back and make it my DD.

That would make a great winter car for someone with an expensive toy they don’t want to see salt. It would sell in 5 minutes in the rust belt.

Won’t you miss all the tech of a modern car?

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

That seems really overpriced for what amounts to fluid changes, what I'm guessing is a minor mechanical repair (oil pressure sender), and other maintenance items. $700 for spark plugs? Are you paying the next 4 swaps in advance or what?
    Last oil pressure sender I had replaced on a Chrysler cost 30 bucks.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

The question is does Canada count Covid deaths the same way as the U.S. does? It is suspected that the U.S. death toll is highly inflated as many people who are counted as a Covid death actually died of other causes like a motorcycle crash.
    You mean if someone dies in a motorcycle crash and they test positive (even if no symptoms) they'll blame Covid-19? Seems like similar logic to blaming speed.

Speed and Corona are the scapegoats.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion