Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,398
    ab348 said:

tmart said:

andys120 said:

Well, it’s a Studebaker. That’s all I got.
    That's a '49 Champion Starlight coupe. The bullet-nose came in the next year.
    Yup, exactly

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    Japanese Junk>

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'll call off the white unit on left with spoiler. Mitsubishi 3000GT, a version was made/sold here as the Dodge Stealth.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    I saw a red 3000GT driving around last week.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Red celica on the right. And I think the white 4 door with fender mirrors is a Mazda.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,115
    Let's go north of NYC to the Albany area, early 1960s, plenty of things to see here, especially if you expand this to its massive native size.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Mostly what you see up there, is cars with massive amounts of rust after just a few years!

• Options
    Today’s 60 Ford is a wagon this time. And the bat wing (I think 60 taillights) Chevy. Is the white one up the row a 61? Much cleaner styling.

And a cute rambler on the end.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Today’s 60 Ford is a wagon this time. And the bat wing (I think 60 taillights) Chevy. Is the white one up the row a 61? Much cleaner styling.

And a cute rambler on the end.

Rambler looks like a convertible, as does the '62 Dodge further up that row.

Funny thing about the '60 Ford wagon - from this angle the rear looks almost like a sportwagon design, very raked, not so great for cargo capacity though. Later in the decade Ford wagons did the exact opposite, being very upright and boxy at the rear end. I like the '60 better in that respect.

• Options
    Lostwrench3Lostwrench3 Member Posts: 746
    I'll grab the 1956 Pontiac.
  • Options
    The old car next to the Rambler convertible looks like a two-tone Shoebox Ford ('49-51).
    Oldest car in pic?

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,199
    Another 60 Ford at far left, ahead of and to the left of the Rambler convertible, looks like a plain Fairlane sedan. I'll guess the wagon is a County Sedan.

Probably some now-valuable items in that toy store, too.

ab348 said:

Let's go north of NYC to the Albany area, early 1960s, plenty of things to see here, especially if you expand this to its massive native size.

• Options
    Looks like Japan, too.

Older white sedan at right is a Mazda RX-3, I think.
    andys120 said:

Japanese Junk>

• Options
    andys120 said:

The old car next to the Rambler convertible looks like a two-tone Shoebox Ford ('49-51).
    Oldest car in pic?

I'm not sure but I think it is the next generation '52-'54 based on what that rear quarter panel looks like.

• Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,243
    55 Ford Fairlane at far right. I thought 56 at first, but the chrome appears too thin for a 56.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

andys120 said:

Oldest car in pic?

I'm not sure but I think it is the next generation '52-'54 based on what that rear quarter panel looks like.
    It does look a bit like a '52-'54 but since I can't make out tailights ?

• Options
    magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,157
    edited August 2020
    There seems to be a problem with my monitor - I can't see any Vauxhalls on your latest post.

still can't post pictures though
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Regarding the posting of pictures, I made a small discovery.

Almost all of the pics I post are via links to ones hosted elsewhere on the web. They use the IMG SRC= "link address" terminology encased by angled brackets. I have to do that because Firefox on the PC I generally use will not respond to the commands in this software to allow posting of a local picture, or any of the other commands here such as links, formatting of fonts, emotorcons, etc. I used to be able to get Chrome to post a local picture using that same PC but at some point that stopped working too.

A few weeks back one of the infamous Win10 involuntary updates installed a new Microsoft Edge browser on this PC. I ignored it for a while but at some point found a picture I could not link to and decided to try it out of frustration. Lo and behold, it allowed me to post a local picture stored on my PC. So the Vanilla software is clearly dependent upon the browser to determine how it behaves or not. Incidentally, I follow another large forum that moved to Vanilla over a year ago. The problems there from that change were never ending, and while I suspect they were not all the fault of the software company, it never worked right and the user community absolutely hated it, so this week they finally threw in the towel. Their forums were frozen while they migrate again, this time to another different platform in hopes of getting back to where they used to be pre-Vanilla.

All that said, a seeming lack of Vauxhalls cannot likely be blamed on the software, as I cannot see any in this picture of the glory days of the American drive-in either. This is Jumpin' Jack's Charcoal Pit in Scotia, NY. It expands nicely:

• Options
    I have been to jumpin' Jacks!

• Options
    some of the usuals. a couple of 60 CHevy batwings, a 60 FOrd, and a Corvair. Rambler in this shot is a wagon.

nice C1 Vette up by the black and white umbrella.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Really like the black '64 Corvair convertible white top and red interior. Saw a similar one with blue interior listed on a BF auction earlier this year which didn't make reserve.

I also got the latest Edge forced update but didn't try it out until reading your post. Still not my default browser but you're right. It seems to play well with the boards.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Parked directly behind the Corvair is a '59 Chevy with the full length side molding and looks like it has a Bel Air nameplate on the fender.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    Just noticed, next to the corvette, is the obligatory falcon.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I believe there is a '63 Plymouth Fury convertible next to the Rambler wagon. I'll take that.

BTW, @stickguy - is Twin Freeze still there?

• Options
    No clue. Have not been by in a while, and didn’t notice when I was close (getting on to I90)

• Options
    Lostwrench3Lostwrench3 Member Posts: 746
    Red 1960 Mercury Monterey convertible.
  • Options
    Red/white '59 Ford 'vert in row closest to bldg. next a white '58-'62 Corvette

• Options
    Read what you say about posting pictures with interest. I only have Apple stuff really and since retiring haven't had anything to do with PCs so haven't had any encounters with Edge.
    I have Safari which works sometimes without trouble - but otherwise I have only used Firefox.

I've never heard of Vanilla

Everything I post is a .jpg taken onto my desktop and then just posted locally so it isn't hosted anywhere else really, but I think I need an actual line of code to copy type pin that will just accept a file which is a jpg format into it. That is what I do when the image button actually works I think but that hardly happens now.

Given this forum depends on people posting pictures perhaps their technical people could find us a code to just type in with the file reference for a simple jpg file and we could load that as a line of text but nothing is that simple it seems.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Turning to Jumping jacks - not a diner we get here - is the red & white Ford in the front right hand side a 59 Skyliner?
    Red Volvo 544 to the left near the exit
    It is surprising how the 59 Chevrolet and 60 Ford look so much smaller than that older Cadillac between them. Only the Mercury convertible is comparable size at this end

There is a metallic green and white car leaving the parking area - is that about a 57 Lincoln?
  • Options
    I guess I will pick off the 63 Galaxie 4 door post between a 59 Galaxie 2 door and 60 Chevy wagon, near the line of people. 5 to the left of the 63 is a red Volvo 544.

Looks like a cruise-in with the cars and venue.

If one can host images or find them online, the basic html img src code should always work.
  • Options
    It's letting me post from Safari at the moment so I'll send a few through

Found this for Fintail the other day

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The thing on the left is a Dynasphere but can't ind any details on it... You sat in it on the seat there and the outer casing went round like a wheel

• Options
    edited August 2020
    As I can post at the moment this is a view of Coventry in about 1964

Most are routine cars but I found one that I cannot remember seeing since I was a kid.

Should enlarge if asked
  • Options
    We had a post a couple of weeks back about the Citroen Mehari

This was the competition it had at the time...

• Options
    I see at least 5 Anglia 105E in the mix. Kind of "in" the light fixture a little in the back I think I see a Triumph Mayflower next to a Bedford van.

It's like a period Matchbox/Dinky/Corgi model lineup in real life (that's how I learned old British cars, I like old diecast).
    magnette said:

Most are routine cars but I found one that I cannot remember seeing since I was a kid.

Should enlarge if asked

• Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,243
    magnette said:

We had a post a couple of weeks back about the Citroen Mehari

This was the competition it had at the time...

Renault Rodeo. Looks good. I like it.
  • Options
    magnette said:

I've never heard of Vanilla

Everything I post is a .jpg taken onto my desktop and then just posted locally so it isn't hosted anywhere else really, but I think I need an actual line of code to copy type pin that will just accept a file which is a jpg format into it. That is what I do when the image button actually works I think but that hardly happens now.

Given this forum depends on people posting pictures perhaps their technical people could find us a code to just type in with the file reference for a simple jpg file and we could load that as a line of text but nothing is that simple it seems.

Vanilla is the name of the forums software that Edmunds uses for this site. It is problematic.

I don't think there is a code that could be typed in similar to the IMG SRC code because posting a local picture requires the software to prompt you to open up a browsing window to your files to let you select the proper one. What I do in the absence of that is to go to the site imgrr.com and upload files to there, then get the link to the picture generated there and post it here using the IMG SRC code. The imgrr site is different from other picture sites in that you do not need an account there, although in turn that means that if you somehow don't keep track of the links it gives, you will never find them later.

• Options
    magnette said:

For a moment I thought this was a Montreal pic, but there were not enough Vauxhalls. :smile:

I don't know what it is but I am very curious about the car with the side-hinged rear door stopped in the lane.

• Options
    Vanilla doesn't seem to cause any problems for me lately. Not sure what's special about a few of you, but I (and it seems, most other posters) can post pictures just fine. Especially from my laptop (sometimes the iPad is tricky but I always have problems with that!)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @ab348
    For a moment I thought this was a Montreal pic, but there were not enough Vauxhalls. :smile:

I don't know what it is but I am very curious about the car with the side-hinged rear door stopped in the lane.

I think that car with the door open is a Ford 100E Anglia /Popular with the rear door open and the boot lid up and the people with it are putting something in it - I think that they may be getting a wheelchair in or out.

It may be a bit short on Vauxhalls but the Hillman Minx is well represented - hardly surprising given Hillman were made about ten miles away.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @fintail
    fintail said:

I see at least 5 Anglia 105E in the mix. Kind of "in" the light fixture a little in the back I think I see a Triumph Mayflower next to a Bedford van.

It's like a period Matchbox/Dinky/Corgi model lineup in real life (that's how I learned old British cars, I like old diecast).

Yes Fin -
    Good spot on that Mayflower - a strange little car really but they made a lot of them....

It is a load of Matchbox and Dinky without the boxes really....

The most interesting car in my opinion is the dark roof and side flash estate car just in line with the bottom of the lamp on the prominent lamppost - so just ahead of the white HA Viva

I was really pleased to find that, and it is now a real rarity....

I think the lady with the carpeted Fintail was in Bristol - it was a photo from a file from a newspaper there I think....

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @tmart

Renault Rodeo. Looks good. I like it.

Yes - the Rodeo - we didn't get that here either but it was of course based on either the Renault 4 or the Renault 6 depending on the engine size.

Like the Mehari it probably weighed nothing and was great for places like the south of France etc...
  • Options
    Austin A95 estate? Looks similar to a period "Budgie" small scale diecast:

magnette said:

The most interesting car in my opinion is the dark roof and side flash estate car just in line with the bottom of the lamp on the prominent lamppost - so just ahead of the white HA Viva

• Options

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That's a '58 Corvette, easily identified by the one-year-only chrome strips on the trunklid. Pretty colors on that example.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    fintail said:

Austin A95 estate? Looks similar to a period "Budgie" small scale diecast:

magnette said:

It is indeed an A95 Estate - there are about two or three left anywhere according to an article in Practical Classics a few years ago, and I haven't seen any of them !

Had forgotten about Budgie Toys, but had a couple of those in the day as well - although never an A95.

Interestingly there is also a grey A95 saloon parked in the nearest row next to the white Ford Consul.

This view wouldn't sell Coventry as a tourist destination but the car parking was all new in the early sixties as it was the first town in Britain to get new car parks above the rebuilt shopping centre - of course that was because the bombing in 1940/41 had flattened it

There is actually a very good car museum in the middle of the city which contains lot of B Leyland and Rootes group vehicles and a load of other stuff - it is mainly for Midlands built vehicles as Coventry really was our Detroit. I went there in 2012 and it was excellent.

PS - couldn't open the little box attachment to your last post
  • Options
    magnette said:

It is indeed an A95 Estate - there are about two or three left anywhere according to an article in Practical Classics a few years ago, and I haven't seen any of them !

Had forgotten about Budgie Toys, but had a couple of those in the day as well - although never an A95.

Interestingly there is also a grey A95 saloon parked in the nearest row next to the white Ford Consul.

PS - couldn't open the little box attachment to your last post

I didn't know what an A95 looked like so I did a search and this turned up:

https://www.facebook.com/AustinA95Countryman/

I looked back at @fintail's post and didn't see an attachment box. He did post a pic inline of 3 A95 miniature models.

• Options
    Let's go out west to Solvang, CA in the early 1970s. The cars shown are secondary to the buildings, the vibrant colors, and the quality of the picture itself.

• Options
    ab348 said:

That's a '58 Corvette, easily identified by the one-year-only chrome strips on the trunklid. Pretty colors on that example.

Yup, if seen from thfront the '58s are easily identified by the louvers on the hood.

A college buddy of mine had those colors on his '58 which oddly had only three speeds. He took me for some memorable rides in the beautiful Finger Lakes.

• Options
    In the Solvang pic there's a '70-ish Capri mk1 going out of pic on left. It has unusual brown/tan vinyl roof and dark body which looks black but I think it is dark green. Just past it is the tail of a red Camaro or Firebird, can't make out side marker so prolly a '67.