Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    that is unique.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/244596

Some nap time perusing. Would be a nice comfortable daily.

Nice; I’m usually terminally underwhelmed by F10 5ers, but RWD and three pedals make that one considerably more interesting.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    And M suspension.

It’s not going to win any drag races but it’d be a nice car to daily drive.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/244596

Some nap time perusing. Would be a nice comfortable daily.

I like that a lot.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    that would be a great car for me. Get my stick, nice and comfortable, and the wife would love it.

• Options
    out with the wife earlier running errands, and drove by the Sube dealer that has a couple used cars I was keeping an eye on. Really wanted to stop but figured she would not be a fan. But she commented later she assumed I wanted to because I slowed down going past (taking a quick peek to see if they were out front).

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    stickguy said:

that Audi is also really nice. I am getting a serious yen to get back into a stick. Before I get too old and broken down to do it!

Have you ever done a search with ‘standard transmission’ ? Not much out there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I am aware. It has been a while since I bought or sold one, and it was tough back then too.

Pretty much limits me to sporty cars too since they either have a decent stick take rate (GTI) or manual only (Si). At least they exist. If trying for a more "normal" car (Accord, etc.) might as well not bother to try, especially if not looking for something super old.

a prior generation 3 Series might be the sweet spot between luxury/goodies/comfort and some sportiness. But those (especially the 4 cylinder) are also quite rare sadly.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited September 2020

Good News: My BMW dealer just traded for an M2; low miles, one owner, FSH, decent price.

Bad News: It's black on black.

My wife, bless her heart, reminded me that both the M8 GTE and M4 DTM have black racing liveries, and suggested I look at some BMW Motorsport graphics:

BMW does sell an M Performance stripe kit:

I could also go with the Laptime-Performance stripe kit- a tribute to the 2002 Turbo:

I may have to think about this...

Those stripe kits are appreciated by true BMW Motorsport racing fans. I clearly am not a true BMW Motorsport racing fan. Seems boy racer-ish to me but again, I am not a diehard fan of BMW and BMW Motorsport.

I actually used to love BMWs until Dreyer and Reinbold returned my 335 convertible with over $3k in hail damage. They said that they had a hail storm, but my car was not affected. Awkward - why did my car look like a golf ball then?

Kinda like the plaid interior of the VW golf GTI - if you are a diehard fan, you appreciate it.
  • Options
    not sure I like all those designs, but some colored stripes do liven up a black car. I don't might black paint, as long as it has a light color interior. Black over black is just too depressing!

• Options
    after watching JR's latest video on the issues with the F250, definitely crossing diesel off the shopping list.

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

Good News: My BMW dealer just traded for an M2; low miles, one owner, FSH, decent price.

Bad News: It's black on black.

My wife, bless her heart, reminded me that both the M8 GTE and M4 DTM have black racing liveries, and suggested I look at some BMW Motorsport graphics:

BMW does sell an M Performance stripe kit:

I could also go with the Laptime-Performance stripe kit- a tribute to the 2002 Turbo:

I may have to think about this...

Those stripe kits are appreciated by true BMW Motorsport racing fans. I clearly am not a true BMW Motorsport racing fan. Seems boy racer-ish to me but again, I am not a diehard fan of BMW and BMW Motorsport.

I actually used to love BMWs until Dreyer and Reinbold returned my 335 convertible with over $3k in hail damage. They said that they had a hail storm, but my car was not affected. Awkward - why did my car look like a golf ball then?

Kinda like the plaid interior of the VW golf GTI - if you are a diehard fan, you appreciate it.
    Holy cow! Did they take responsibility for that? You would think that a dealer in areas prone to hail would have some way of protecting cars under their care. Certainly they must have protection for their own inventory.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Eventually they did, but it took a month for them to agree that it occurred on their lot. I called as soon as the car was dropped off. Not surprisingly, the driver just took off with the rental car and didn’t knock or ring the door bell. Paintless dent repair took care of it all.

Unfortunately D&R is the closest dealer and that’s an hour away.

I’m transitioning to appliance cars.

@Sandman6472 - my daughter’s new 2020 Honda CRV touring has a volume knob on the radio - maybe the HRV does too???? I didn’t look as she (and more importantly my wife too) wanted a CRV.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

after watching JR's latest video on the issues with the F250, definitely crossing diesel off the shopping list.

+1000 for Carmax taking care of what Ford refused to. I thought DPFs were covered under the powertrain warranty? I'm assuming Carmax followed OE procedures on trying to fix the death wobble, which probably start with "try replacing just the steering stabilizer and see whether that fixes it."
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

IMHO, it is notorious because people harp on it. There are Honda transmissions to avoid, but nobody talks about those. There are Toyota transmissions to avoid, but let’s keep that on the DL. The first-gen XC90s with the GM transmissions made of silly putty were quickly forgotten. The Ford transmissions in the first-gen 4-cyl Mazda 626 were junk ... but that never seemed to make much of a blip in folks’ memories. I could go on. I just find it odd when one manufacturer (of any product) gets beat up more than another for the same sin. Maybe because I was never the victim of one and have an outsider’s perspective. I dunno.

A few differences, as some problem parts are far more widespread than others. Also, there's a difference between my Honda transmission that grenaded at 42K miles vs. my best friends Altima that grenaded the CVT within the first month or two.

Lastly, in my anecdotal experience, while Honda picked up the tab at 42K miles for the transmission, Chrysler/Dodge was nowhere to be found when my head gaskets grenaded on the Neon at similar mileage, or the transmission failed at 60K.

I've never received a letter from Chrysler proactively extending the warranty on anything. The lack of acknowledgement of problems is deafening.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    My 6 year old daughter put a 2" gouging scratch into the side of my TTS by throwing the Tiguan rear right door into it at the end of its swing of travel. :angry:

Time for a part out! :worried::open_mouth::smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I am aware. It has been a while since I bought or sold one, and it was tough back then too.

Pretty much limits me to sporty cars too since they either have a decent stick take rate (GTI) or manual only (Si). At least they exist. If trying for a more "normal" car (Accord, etc.) might as well not bother to try, especially if not looking for something super old.

a prior generation 3 Series might be the sweet spot between luxury/goodies/comfort and some sportiness. But those (especially the 4 cylinder) are also quite rare sadly.

STI's and Civic R's would satisfy your need for a stick.
  • Options
    Type R is too racer boy and rough (and the wife would have a cow). I test drove a WRX last time and hated it, and the STI I will assume is just all that ramped up.

a plain Si is OK though. Ideal would be something along the lines of a 330i.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

And M suspension.

It’s not going to win any drag races but it’d be a nice car to daily drive.

mid-5s 0-60? I think it would win many drag races.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Maybe if the inevitable mustang challenger pulls a cars and coffee.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Also, on the F-250, the idea that a 2 year old, 50k mile truck may need its entire front suspension replaced to quell the "death wobble" is not encouraging.
  • Options
    I like to admire other people's black cars when they are clean for those fleeting two seconds after a wash or wax
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Jeep 'death wobble' has been around for decades.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    my daughter's former BF has a Silverado (2015 I think) and referred to it as the "Chevy Shake". as if it is just something you expect and live with. Would drive me nuts.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    I posted this before.
    Looked at a Canmax vehicle last week. It had 3 outstanding recalls but was still for sale.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I’d be more worried about the “death wobble”.

• Options

It happens on any vehicle with a solid front axle
  • Options

I posted this before.
    Looked at a Canmax vehicle last week. It had 3 outstanding recalls but was still for sale.

I see that a lot. Some places have disclaimers. I don't find it to be an issue. if they know about it and disclose it (assuming they even know about it, no guarantee).

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    mjfloyd1 said:

It happens on any vehicle with a solid front axle
    And in most cases a shop familiar with the vehicle can fix the problem My TJ had it and my local indie shop eradicated it completely.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    There was a Jeep TSB and they switched my steering stabilizer. I did not have death wobble but after the swap, now I do.
  • Options
    mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    edited September 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

Porsche can't get their story straight. The service manual clearly says that the 30k mile service is an oil and filter change plus spark plugs. I speak to two of the three dealerships, and they claim that Cayenne S 30k is a 'regular' service without spark plugs but several other items. They told me that spark plugs come at 40k despite the manual stating otherwise. So...the two less expensive dealerships were at $495 and $825 without those spark plugs. I declined to do the service at the Exchange today. They ended up only fixing two of the three broken clips because they apparently missed the other. Three months and they need to order another one. Porsche service... Initially, I considered allowing them to do an oil change, but that was $300... Ugh. I don't mind maintenance costs—par for the game. However, the lack of transparency and wildly different pricing is so different from what I've experienced with other luxury brands—Mercedes and Audi, chiefly.

Porsche- you can pay me now or you can pay me later. Maybe they think they are "saving" you from a return trip for the spark plugs in 2k miles?
    No, two out of three are claiming that spark plugs are at 40k, not 30k—even though the manual says it is at 30k! The maintenance booklet literally says that at 30k it's an oil and filter change and spark plugs. Nothing else is mentioned in contrast to the other service intervals.

My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    stickguy said:

Luxury/goodies are a definite question when you go looking for 3 pedals, because so many limit their manual transmissions to the base models. BMW is less bad about that than others.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    andres3 said:

My 6 year old daughter put a 2" gouging scratch into the side of my TTS by throwing the Tiguan rear right door into it at the end of its swing of travel. :angry:

Oh, that's rough! My daughter did that with our cars, too. That earned her years of "child lock" on the door nearest her. She was hopping mad about that. but I don't know whether she realizes just how close I was to killing her. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    finally checked on my lease, since I had not gotten any updates. Turns out Carvana paid it off on Wednesday (2 days after picking it up) so they do work fast. Just surprised that AFS never notified me. But, at least it is taken care of.

1 week anniversary of being down to 1 car, and have not missed the 2nd in the least. And the daughter appreciates having a garage bay for her frequent visits home!

I do tend to get distracted by for sale signs though. Out walking the neighborhood yesterday, someone had a Forester on the lawn with a for sale sign. 2012 Touring, only $7,000. Though I believe there was an "as is" disclaimer so I assume there is some issue with it. But, after being bored and watching multiple videos of dudes pulling out Sube engines and changing timing belts and head gaskets, looks doable!

• Options
    stickguy said:

finally checked on my lease, since I had not gotten any updates. Turns out Carvana paid it off on Wednesday (2 days after picking it up) so they do work fast. Just surprised that AFS never notified me. But, at least it is taken care of.

1 week anniversary of being down to 1 car, and have not missed the 2nd in the least. And the daughter appreciates having a garage bay for her frequent visits home!

I do tend to get distracted by for sale signs though. Out walking the neighborhood yesterday, someone had a Forester on the lawn with a for sale sign. 2012 Touring, only $7,000. Though I believe there was an "as is" disclaimer so I assume there is some issue with it. But, after being bored and watching multiple videos of dudes pulling out Sube engines and changing timing belts and head gaskets, looks doable!

Seems cheap

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    andres3 said:

Oh man, I hate that. Kids are just brutal on cars and it doesn’t get any better as they get older. The X1 has a nice gash from the lacrosse bag.

The worst was a scratch from a bike pedal on the bottom of the door when I had my ZHP.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    au1994 said:

andres3 said:

Oh man, I hate that. Kids are just brutal on cars and it doesn’t get any better as they get older. The X1 has a nice gash from the lacrosse bag.

The worst was a scratch from a bike pedal on the bottom of the door when I had my ZHP.
    That child is no longer with us.. RIP. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Seems cheap
    well, miles were not noted. So if it has 160k on it and leaking head gaskets, it's not. Or a wonky CVT. I might walk past it again without the wife so I can scope it out better, just out of curiosity. But, it looked really nice condition.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    au1994 said:

andres3 said:

Same here. One kid tried to squeeze by the Tacoma on the bike and the metal brake put a nice 6" scratch in the front 1/4 panel right by the headlight. My Prelude has about 20 chips in the rear 1/4 panel right below the window from when I first moved into my house and squeezed 2 cars in the garage. The chips line up perfectly with the bottom corner of the rear door of the old 2011 Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

andres3 said:

My wife provided me several single malts, stat, otherwise that might have been the case! :smile:

• Options
    Subaru is officially gone. Vroom process was a little clunky to get to this point. Multiple calls and emails to nudge the process along. Once they got the paperwork rounded up it took about 5 days to get a carrier lined up and he could have picked up Saturday but that didn’t work for us.

It was a little sad to see it go. A great little car and a great value. Zero issues in the near 2 years we had it. Pokey, yes, but I knew that going in. The reward was great mileage. If my CCBA addiction would not have stuck us with negative equity in the X1 (even with the crazy appraisals) we would have sold that, even for even money and foregone the profit on the Subaru.

Loving the Land Cruiser. Made our first road trip this weekend and it was very comfortable and roomy. Tech needs an update and there is a bluetooth adapter that would allow me to stream, get CarPlay etc. Gas mileage...well lets just say there’s a trade off to everything. :smile:

• Options
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

andres3 said:

My wife provided me several single malts, stat, otherwise that might have been the case! :smile:

• Options

mjfloyd1 said:

Porsche can't get their story straight. The service manual clearly says that the 30k mile service is an oil and filter change plus spark plugs. I speak to two of the three dealerships, and they claim that Cayenne S 30k is a 'regular' service without spark plugs but several other items. They told me that spark plugs come at 40k despite the manual stating otherwise. So...the two less expensive dealerships were at $495 and $825 without those spark plugs. I declined to do the service at the Exchange today. They ended up only fixing two of the three broken clips because they apparently missed the other. Three months and they need to order another one. Porsche service... Initially, I considered allowing them to do an oil change, but that was $300... Ugh. I don't mind maintenance costs—par for the game. However, the lack of transparency and wildly different pricing is so different from what I've experienced with other luxury brands—Mercedes and Audi, chiefly.

Porsche- you can pay me now or you can pay me later. Maybe they think they are "saving" you from a return trip for the spark plugs in 2k miles?
    No, two out of three are claiming that spark plugs are at 40k, not 30k—even though the manual says it is at 30k! The maintenance booklet literally says that at 30k it's an oil and filter change and spark plugs. Nothing else is mentioned in contrast to the other service intervals.

Can you take it to an independent mechanic for the spark plug swap? Might be less expensive.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    stickguy said:

Vroom paid off my Hyundai very fast, and my online account with HFS showed $0. But then I proceeded to receive a few emails telling me my payment was past due. That ceased after a couple of months. Now I just received a check from them for $90 this past weekend. Between that and the whole mess with trying to get a payoff from them for the original Carvana bid, I hope to never deal with HFS again.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    au1994 said:

Subaru is officially gone. Vroom process was a little clunky to get to this point. Multiple calls and emails to nudge the process along. Once they got the paperwork rounded up it took about 5 days to get a carrier lined up and he could have picked up Saturday but that didn’t work for us.

It was a little sad to see it go. A great little car and a great value. Zero issues in the near 2 years we had it. Pokey, yes, but I knew that going in. The reward was great mileage. If my CCBA addiction would not have stuck us with negative equity in the X1 (even with the crazy appraisals) we would have sold that, even for even money and foregone the profit on the Subaru.

Loving the Land Cruiser. Made our first road trip this weekend and it was very comfortable and roomy. Tech needs an update and there is a bluetooth adapter that would allow me to stream, get CarPlay etc. Gas mileage...well lets just say there’s a trade off to everything. :smile:

I had a V8 land cruiser. I often joked in the winter that it could pass anything except a gas station
  • Options
    Definitely sounds like Carvana is much more efficient than Vroom with their process. Though they did lose track of my deal, but quickly took care of it once I contacted them.

• Options
    Everybody I talked to at Vroom was nice and professional but you could just tell they were overwhelmed with demand at the moment.

• Options
    Carvana I think has the same problem.

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

au1994 said:

I had a V8 land cruiser. I often joked in the winter that it could pass anything except a gas station
    Thats a very true statement. Onboard said 16.5 since I filled up on Friday. Trip out Friday afternoon was stop and go rush hour for about 20-25 mins and then a decent highway stretch followed by winding climbing mountain roads.