Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    tjc78 said:

You shut your water off to your washer? I have two sets in my home and have never done that. The upstairs set has braided hoses for extra security.

J Monroe is about to give you a lecture!

I have braided hoses too and also don’t turn the water off.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2020
    TOH has always had the abundance of tools. They offhandedly tell how easy it is to use this special purpose tool for a job but it's something a homeowner won't be spending often hundreds of dollars for something that's a one time use.

Now they're into preaching the eco line with the plumber guy's son, a recent college grad, telling how all these wonderful things might work. It was like watching Martha Stewart show in the past where everything was done for her by aides and she did just enough to look like she was participating. Sort of the bob Villa method from the early TOH.

But I still like the idea of a holding tank held at a nominal temp for the input water to the rapidfire heater.
    If nothing else, in the event of a power failure, it will give you many gallons of lukewarm water for bathing; better than the icy cold water from the boy scout like camping shower houses when I was camping with my son. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tjc78 said:

You shut your water off to your washer? I have two sets in my home and have never done that. The upstairs set has braided hoses for extra security.

Braided hoses help. But, if you've ever had a fitting or pipe break... it's a nightmare.
    Last house, had a valve fail under the sink in our master bedroom upstairs. Sound of water woke me up. Probably five minutes from break, until I got the water shut off downstairs.
    $10,000 damage.

That said, we only turn ours off, when leaving for vacation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Our home had a pipe actually start leaking through a pinhole that dissolved and opened up inside a wall. Plumber said that occasionally happens randomly from different eras of copper pipe.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    We had one of the braided hoses partially unthread itself enough to leak.
    I was outside mowing the lawn and noticed the foundation was wet although it hadn't rained.
    Luckily, the water drained down from the shutoff into an unfinished part of the basement which I was able to dry out by running a fan for a few days.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Then there was the time they sold a homeowner on a hybrid electric water heater, only to have it fail 4 years later. The company had failed by that point and they had to replace it with a different one because there were no spare parts available..

https://youtu.be/Wzsr-B6MK_k

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

On the washer water lines - when I had my laundry room redone 3 years ago the plumber was not keen on the manual single-lever shutoffs (turned out he wasn't a very good plumber anyway but that's another story). He did, though, install one of those plastic boxes recessed in the wall with ball valves for the hot and cold controlled by small 1/4 turn levers, plus the drain. I have them off all the time unless I am actually doing laundry.

I gave the same box and twist lever set up. Of course that only helps if the failure is at the hose connection or beyond.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

On one episode TOH was pushing an electric shutoff valve for the hot/cold water hookups for a clothes washer. At the time our new washer/dryer combo blocked the manual shutoff valve so we had the electronic valve installed. In theory it was supposed to sense when the washer powered up and open the water valves. In practice it never worked. Not once. My plumber contacted the company and did his best to troubleshoot it but he had no success. I ended up returning it and we reoriented the washer/dryer to where I could reach the manual valve.

OK, here’s my washing machine shut-off valve story:

As I’ve said before a few times, Mrs. j ALWAYS shuts off the hot and cold water valves and bleeds off the pressure in the hoses after EVERY use of the washing machine and double checks to see that it’s done before going to bed. I’ve told her about what can happen if the hoses rupture so I’ve pretty much put the fear of the water gods in her. She has done this from day one in our first house that we lived in for almost 20 years. So, I’ll take credit for that.

Fast forward to when we bought our second house in January 1989. I saw that the shut-off valves were old and corroded and one valve had a leaking valve stem packing seal so that was the perfect time to replace them and I decided rather than install the multi-turn valve, I was going to install the lever operated 1/4 turn type valves. Got out my torch one night and got it done. Almost perfect timing too because Mrs. j came down to the basement to do a load of clothes since I told her the job should only take about a half hour barring any problems. She looks at the 1/4 turn valves and says, “what are those things”? I said, “those are the new shut-off valves and they’re ready to go”. She fires back, “and you think I’m going to learn how to use those contraptions”.😟 I said, “you’re going to like these and I showed her how to operate them”. She gives me one of those looks and says, “ALL those years you let me turn turn (as she’s goes through the valve turning motion) those valves in the old house when you could have installed those”? 😫😫 I swear, if we would have been upstairs I would have been doing laps around the dining room table.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

As I’ve said before a few times, Mrs. j ALWAYS shuts off the hot and cold water valves and bleeds off the pressure in the hoses after EVERY use of the washing machine and double checks to see that it’s done before going to bed.

I would have no idea how to bleed off the pressure with my washer and its electronic controls.

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

As I’ve said before a few times, Mrs. j ALWAYS shuts off the hot and cold water valves and bleeds off the pressure in the hoses after EVERY use of the washing machine and double checks to see that it’s done before going to bed.

I would have no idea how to bleed off the pressure with my washer and its electronic controls.
    I’m not sure you can bleed off the hose pressure with the new fangaled electronic machines. Our washer is an ancient Maytag with the mechanical timer so it’s very easy to do on those types of machines. I hope that by talking about the age of this old beast it doesn’t decide to quit. I usually don’t talk about appliances and cars that are old but still work and work well. I damn sure hope this doesn’t jinx it but my excuse, if it’s listening, is that I’m only responding to your post. You better hope I’m right because if something happens, Mrs. will be making a road trip to Nova Scotia since she does not like having to learn how to use new appliances or cars. :@

FWIW, I know you guys probably howl when you hear what we do about shutting down the washing machine every day but we’re used to doing it and we damn sure don’t forget to shut off the water when we’re going to be away for a few days or more and I bleed off the pressure in the supply lines via the laundry tub valves. Everybody can do that.

Believe it or not, for a few years when we lived in our first house, I even shut off the gas at the meter when we went on vacation which required re-lighting the pilot lights for the water heater and the furnace when we got home. I finally gave up on that because Mrs. j would say when we were driving home from the beach in the Summer (no A/C back then) and got close to home how good it would feel to take a nice hot shower. I had to tell her she’d have to wait for about an hour to do that. Needless to say she didn’t like that. So, I gave up that idea.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Maybe 20 years ago when I was getting my kitchen renovated, part of the work involved moving the sink which in turn involved running new lines. The guy doing the work wasn't a plumber but had the crimp tool to install PEX tubing so he did that. He asked me to go down to the basement and turn on the water using the valve next to the water meter. It was the original threaded valve installed in 1955 when the house was built, and very stiff. With some difficulty I did it, then a moment later heard the sound of a "PFFFFT" followed by the sound of running water and the guy yelling at me to turn it off. It was so stiff I could barely get it closed. His connection had failed and there was water everywhere in the furnace room. It was probably the first time it was mopped in decades when we cleaned it all up. When he redid the work turning off the main supply line seemed even harder and I decided I would hire someone to replace that valve with a new ball unit. That was not as expensive as I feared but it involved the water utility having to turn off the line coming into the house from out in the street, which fortunately they did at no charge. But having that new valve there has already come in handy a few times since.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    jmonroe1 said:

On one episode TOH was pushing an electric shutoff valve for the hot/cold water hookups for a clothes washer. At the time our new washer/dryer combo blocked the manual shutoff valve so we had the electronic valve installed. In theory it was supposed to sense when the washer powered up and open the water valves. In practice it never worked. Not once. My plumber contacted the company and did his best to troubleshoot it but he had no success. I ended up returning it and we reoriented the washer/dryer to where I could reach the manual valve.

As I’ve said before a few times, Mrs. j ALWAYS shuts off the hot and cold water valves and bleeds off the pressure in the hoses after EVERY use of the washing machine and double checks to see that it’s done before going to bed. I’ve told her about what can happen if the hoses rupture so I’ve pretty much put the fear of the water gods in her. She has done this from day one in our first house that we lived in for almost 20 years. So, I’ll take credit for that.

Fast forward to when we bought our second house in January 1989. I saw that the shut-off valves were old and corroded and one valve had a leaking valve stem packing seal so that was the perfect time to replace them and I decided rather than install the multi-turn valve, I was going to install the lever operated 1/4 turn type valves. Got out my torch one night and got it done. Almost perfect timing too because Mrs. j came down to the basement to do a load of clothes since I told her the job should only take about a half hour barring any problems. She looks at the 1/4 turn valves and says, “what are those things”? I said, “those are the new shut-off valves and they’re ready to go”. She fires back, “and you think I’m going to learn how to use those contraptions”.😟 I said, “you’re going to like these and I showed her how to operate them”. She gives me one of those looks and says, “ALL those years you let me turn turn (as she’s goes through the valve turning motion) those valves in the old house when you could have installed those”? 😫😫 I swear, if we would have been upstairs I would have been doing laps around the dining room table.

jmonroe

If I told my wife how to turn off the valves and bleed the hoses after using the washing machine because of what would happen if the hose ruptures she would tell me to get better hoses for the washing machine.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    @bwia,
    Wasn't sure where your story was going, but it was pretty funny. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Imagine what would happen 10 years later when these guys reach 90?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    How often are you supposed to replace the braided hoses?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    One neighbor across the street had a 75 (?) gallon tank water heater upstairs and the tank rusted through. It was fed by a .75 inch line -> flooded house.

Another neighbor had a supply line to a toilet burst while they were out of town. -> flooded first floor and basement
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    mjfloyd1 said:

One neighbor across the street had a 75 (?) gallon tank water heater upstairs and the tank rusted through. It was fed by a .75 inch line -> flooded house.

Another neighbor had a supply line to a toilet burst while they were out of town. -> flooded first floor and basement

Anyone remember the Sopranos episode where the FBI had a spy camera in the basement and they noted the water was gonna blow? Of course the next scene was Tony cursing about it.

I was lucky when my water heater blew. There was a drain hole under it that led to the French drain system.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    tjc78, you really have two sets of washer/dryer? Interesting to say the least but seems like overkill. But hell, what do I know? We've always had one set and it's worked out fine so far.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited October 2020

tjc78, you really have two sets of washer/dryer? Interesting to say the least but seems like overkill. But hell, what do I know? We've always had one set and it's worked out fine so far.

It’s a jmonroe sort of story....

Cliff notes version:
    We added onto the house for my mom and she asked for first floor laundry rather than the basement. So we did that as part of the renovation. I found an awesome deal at Home Depot so I bought a new set for upstairs (someone ordered two sets of floor models and I saved over 50% on the pair)

I decided to leave the old set in the basement until they die.

All a moot point now since both sets will go to the new owners.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

when we bought our house (4 YO at the time) the original owner had it built with the WD in the basement. Per the plans, it was supposed to be a 2nd floor laundry room (which they turned into a 2nd MBR walk in closet). Wife hated dragging laundry up and down all the stairs, plus the dryer never worked well. Eventually we had the laundry room put back upstairs. Best money we ever spent.

dryer worked great up there. Basically where they had it violated fire code so badly I am surprised the house never burned down. way too long a run, with a ton of bends and curves. When we had that cleaned it had enough lint in it to make a pillow. new pipe, goes straight up through the ceiling, makes a 90 in the attic, and straight out the side wall.

in theory we could have left a WD down there, but there was no need for it so the lines just got capped off.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    tjc78 said:

Cliff notes version:
    tjc, could you teach JMonroe how to make his stories shorter like you did?

JMonroe1 started out posting shorter posts and was much funnier, now he is changing back into the original JM. :o

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

Cliff notes version:
    tjc, could you teach JMonroe how to make his stories shorter like you did?

JMonroe1 started out posting shorter posts and was much funnier, now he is changing back into the original JM. :o

But just like before you still read every word. This is a pretty short post. B)

jmonroe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    mjfloyd1 said:

How often are you supposed to replace the braided hoses?

I only replace them when I replace the washing machine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I know Honda Civics are great cars and I would seriously consider one if I was in the market for a car in that category. I saw one yesterday and I really have to question the actual styling. It looks like it was designed by 20 different people, and none of them checked with each other until the final drawing. I suppose they are looking for something more techie looking, and a more aggressive look, and maybe the design makes the car appear larger than it is. I am sure some people like the design, but, I find it way to busy....maybe trying to hard....IMHO.

It is not a well-styled car/ Looks like something you'd find in an Anime cartoon.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Is that a new Civic? Or 2017? Seriously it looks like the familiar overstyled Civic Continuation.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

I know Honda Civics are great cars and I would seriously consider one if I was in the market for a car in that category. I saw one yesterday and I really have to question the actual styling. It looks like it was designed by 20 different people, and none of them checked with each other until the final drawing. I suppose they are looking for something more techie looking, and a more aggressive look, and maybe the design makes the car appear larger than it is. I am sure some people like the design, but, I find it way to busy....maybe trying to hard....IMHO.

I find the Lexus design language more distasteful than Honda's currently. Also, BMW deserves an honorable mention with the new grill idea.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    omarman said:

Is that a new Civic? Or 2017? Seriously it looks like the familiar overstyled Civic Continuation.

2020....some actually look much worse than others.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

If I told my wife how to turn off the valves and bleed the hoses after using the washing machine because of what would happen if the hose ruptures she would tell me to get better hoses for the washing machine.
    First off, I wouldn’t let my wife tell me about hose replacement or how to take care of appliances. I’m the house guru on that stuff and she knows it. B)

Now that I got that out of the way, I did some scouting for the age of our ancient Maytag washing machine that we inherited from my Mother when we moved back from SC in 1997 after she died and my brothers wanted us to stay in her house until we found one. I found the receipt and she bought it on 10-21-89 for $541.66 including tax from a local mom and pop appliance store. Just as an aside this washer HAD to have the suds return feature which probably made it a more top of the line unit. There is a story about this feature but it would be a full size novel so I’m not going there. Mrs. j has never used the suds return feature so the pickup hose just sits on the laundry tub. As best as I know, the supply hoses have never been replaced. I know for sure we never replaced them. They are the old style black hoses not the new fangled braided type. I’m willing to bet they have lasted this long because they have never been been under full pressure all the time. I’m just doing a long term experiment to prove the value of using the water supply shut-off valves and bleeding off the pressure.

I saw where the question was asked about how long washing machine hoses last and their seems to be info that they should be replaced anywhere from 5 to 10 years. To me that is too much of a span to be meaningful. None of us would think very much of a car warranty that states you can expect anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles of maintainace free life. However, it is recommended that they be replaced at some point. It’s therefore up to the owner to decide. While the braided hoses last longer they don’t last forever. Guess wrong and you lose. Because there is maintenance involved with them, I don’t like using them for the toilets and sinks. I do those the old fashioned way using the chrome plated soft copper lines. The way I look at it is, why do an installation that you know will require maintenance at some point? I just bite the bullet and do it once. Everyone can start laughing now.

jmonroe
    There is a new model civic coming out soon. I think in the spring as a 2022. Have not seen pictures yet though.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

First off, I wouldn’t let my wife tell me about hose replacement or how to take care of appliances. I’m the house guru on that stuff and she knows it. B)

jmonroe
    My point is that my wife would wonder why we have to solve the issue by turning off the valves every time we do the wash when the obvious solution is to have better hoses.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    My point is that my wife would wonder why we have to solve the issue by turning off the valves every time we do the wash when the obvious solution is to have better hoses.
    My point is, better hoses are nice but you better not forget to replace them especially if left under pressure all the time. I don’t want to be marking the calendar to remind me.

jmonroe

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Now that I got that out of the way, I did some scouting for the age of our ancient Maytag washing machine that we inherited from my Mother when we moved back from SC in 1997 after she died and my brothers wanted us to stay in her house until we found one. I found the receipt and she bought it on 10-21-89 for $541.66 including tax from a local mom and pop appliance store. Just as an aside this washer HAD to have the suds return feature which probably made it a more top of the line unit. There is a story about this feature but it would be a full size novel so I’m not going there. Mrs. j has never used the suds return feature so the pickup hose just sits on the laundry tub. As best as I know, the supply hoses have never been replaced. I know for sure we never replaced them. They are the old style black hoses not the new fangled braided type. I’m willing to bet they have lasted this long because they have never been been under full pressure all the time. I’m just doing a long term experiment to prove the value of using the water supply shut-off valves and bleeding off the pressure.

I saw where the question was asked about how long washing machine hoses last and their seems to be info that they should be replaced anywhere from 5 to 10 years. To me that is too much of a span to be meaningful. None of us would think very much of a car warranty that states you can expect anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles of maintainace free life. However, it is recommended that they be replaced at some point. It’s therefore up to the owner to decide. While the braided hoses last longer they don’t last forever. Guess wrong and you lose. Because there is maintenance involved with them, I don’t like using them for the toilets and sinks. I do those the old fashioned way using the chrome plated soft copper lines. The way I look at it is, why do an installation that you know will require maintenance at some point? I just bite the bullet and do it once. Everyone can start laughing now.

jmonroe
    $541 was a good chunk of change back in 1989. I don’t think washers are much more today. No wonder production was off shored

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    driver100 said:

omarman said:

Not everyone dislikes them. Otherwise they wouldn't sell so many.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    bwia said:

Well folks, I’m in the market for a natural gas combination (combi) boiler and hot water system to replace my inefficient 20+ year monster cast iron Utica boiler. I’ve called my trusted HVAC guy and he is recommending one of these two systems. The Viessmann Vitodens 100 or a Navien.

Both systems are high efficiency combi boilers rated at 95.0% AFUE but the Viessmann is more expensive, but more reliable according to him. How much more? I don’t know as is he working on a price quote for both. These units look so “small” I wonder if they are capable heating a 2800 sq. ft. home as well as provide on demand hot water for bathing, dishwashing and laundry.

For those who have recently upgraded to a high efficiency boiler, any recommendations? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Not sure I've posted here before, but:

I bought a (early 1960's era) house in NH in 2015 that has a Vitodens 100 nat. gas boiler installed. I think it's great. 1648 s.f. house. I can't find the receipt from the former owner so I don't know what she paid. I did find the paperwork for removal of the underground oil tank tho: $2550. And I remember seeing the receipt for the removal of the old oil burner also, lotsa bucks IIRC.

Oh, & mine is not a combi unit--just for heating, not hot water. I guess they must make 2 different versions?
    venture said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

Even I said I would consider buying one....might be the best car overall in it's class....but, I am not a fan of the styling.....to me a Corolla has a nicer design......probably not as nice to drive though.

I want to see the new design. and try the seats. Because it could be a fit when I finally add a 2nd car.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    venture said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

I believe there is a fair-sized population that would buy a Civic no matter what it looked like.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    qbrozen said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

omarman said:

I believe there is a fair-sized population that would buy a Civic no matter what it looked like.
    Agreed. You guys are making me say it. :) I like the looks of them.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

it has a lot of angles, but is not ugly. at least the nose in normal.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. The Civic is terribly overstyled, lots of fake vents and ridges/strake lines everywhere. Appeals to a certain segment though, not just the "Honda is God" group.

jmonroe1 said:

As best as I know, the supply hoses have never been replaced. I know for sure we never replaced them.
    jmonroe

The rubber hoses on our previous washer had a stamp on the sides that said replace after 5 years.

Our washer had gone about 7 and the lower bearing was making noise. IT got replaced. Otherwise I would have bought new hoses.

Our replacement washer I purchased with the braided hoses.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    The Honda is certainly better looking than some other vehicles out there, such as from Nissan or Toyota

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

with some limits, I don't care all that much about styling (or at least, it is pretty far down the list of reasons to pick a car). Hideous, well draw the line before that. But as long as it isn't an aztec or some such, good enough.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I am disappointed Honda no longer offers the EX version of the Accord for 2021. I was interested in its replacement the Sport SE with leather until I discovered it did not have a sunroof. It is priced very close to the outgoing EX.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I always leaned toward the EX too, since I actually like cloth seats, and that had everything else I wanted usually (power seat, moonroof). Not a big deal now but at one point the big miss was no XM radio until you got to the EXL.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited October 2020
    I got a letter today from an insurance agent up near Daytona Beach, about 200 miles north of where I live. The letter stated that Allstate was writing condo policies again in my area and that he could save me quite a bit of money.

Having nothing to lose, I gave him a call. For an exact policy with the same limits, the premium was $769 for a 12 month policy. That’s a savings of over $700 a year compared to my existing policy. But I had to couple my auto policy with the condo policy. A 6 month premium with the same coverages was $95 less than I am currently paying GEICO. So tomorrow I will cancel my policies and start a new auto and condo policy with the Allstate agency up there near Daytona Beach. But I will make sure he sends me binders for both policies before I cancel the other policies.

Was definitely worth taking a few minutes to check out his agency.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    abacomike said:

I got a letter today from an insurance agent up near Daytona Beach, about 200 miles north of where I live. The letter stated that Allstate was writing condo policies again in my area and that he could save me quite a bit of money.

Having nothing to lose, I gave him a call. For an exact policy with the same limits, the premium was $769 for a 12 month policy. That’s a savings of over $700 a year compared to my existing policy. But I had to couple my auto policy with the condo policy. A 6 month premium with the same coverages was $95 less than I am currently paying GEICO. So tomorrow I will cancel my policies and start a new auto and condo policy with the Allstate agency up there near Daytona Beach. But I will make sure he sends me binders for both policies before I cancel the other policies.

Was definitely worth taking a few minutes to check out his agency.

Smart of them to offer you a good rate at the end of hurricane season when the risk of a claim goes down.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible