Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    tjc78 said:

Didn’t Wheeler Dealers do one of those SMG transmissions and convert to full manual?

they did, on an M3. A very interesting episode, seeing how the system worked. It really was just a normal manual trans, with a really complicated rube Goldberg arrangement to automate the clutch. So other than installing a 3 pedal set, most of the work was uninstalling parts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    Darn BAT.
    Check out the sound on this GT350, about 38 seconds in.
    https://youtu.be/X166N2Bjx3Q
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    qbrozen said:

good grief, this is crazy clean!! Too bad about the transmission.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-m3-convertible-38/

Couldn’t you convert it to a standard?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Darn BAT.
    Check out the sound on this GT350, about 38 seconds in.
    https://youtu.be/X166N2Bjx3Q

I don’t even mind the black wheels.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    edited October 2020
    sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink. Saturday AM my 14 year old (pictured) had an away game, my 11 year old son had an away game (my wife took home) and my almost 9 year old daughter had a soccer game in town. We sent my oldest with another family to the game. While he was waiting to get picked up, he got dressed in the parking lot.

nyccarguy said:

The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink. Saturday AM my 14 year old (pictured) had an away game, my 11 year old son had an away game (my wife took home) and my almost 9 year old daughter had a soccer game in town. We sent my oldest with another family to the game. While he was waiting to get picked up, he got dressed in the parking lot.

Darien? I thought that you lived in Stamford. I lived in Darien until I was 13. My mother grew up there right on the Post Rd. just East of Gardner Rd on the way to Noroton train station.
    We do live in Stamford. Darien is the next town over (the Darien home rink is in Stamford). My 14 year old has played for Stamford Youth Hockey for the past 6 seasons. This year the board of directors made some not too bright decisions (long story), so now he plays for Darien. My 11 year old still plays for Stamford.

Can you PM me a link to your site? Do you have availability this weekend?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

good grief, this is crazy clean!! Too bad about the transmission.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-m3-convertible-38/

Couldn’t you convert it to a standard?
    if you have the money and time, sure. Might be cheaper in the end to just buy a manual (though if the AT sells at enough of a discount, and you have your own shop, maybe not).

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    That C8 frunk looks like it might hold a Subway footlong and not much else.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

You wouldn’t want any more than that up there upsetting your driving dynamics.😳

you have to weigh yourself before getting in the car, and adjust the tire pressures to accommodate.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068

ab348 said:

Plus, you'd want Jersey Mike's, in any case.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    QUICK! Someone kill it before it can reproduce!!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Somebody did that on purpose? I can't stand these MBs to begin with.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Here’s one for RB. a club sport to go with his club sport.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/92RqJAox/2019-bmw-m4-cs

This also looks like a cool spare/beater car to have.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    stickguy said:
    Was looking at that this morn. Some things going on there that bug me. The black interior being the biggest, but the odd steering wheel cover (why not make a little effort and get orange thread??), repainted non-matching rear bumper, blacked out rear turn signals and aftermarket badging are all detriments that give me concern regarding the overall care that may have gone into it. Oh, and IIRC, those 17" wheels with the dimples were on automatic-only cars.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited October 2020
    For Acura's top selling model, I'm surprised there's not much talk about the new MDX, details and pics of which were released last week. Even @benjaminh hasn't posted anything about it! :)

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2022-mdx-prototype

I suppose a new 3-row SUV isn't all that exciting. And nothing surprising either, as it naturally follows the design cues inside and out from the new TLX.

I thought it was interesting that they're carrying over the 3.5l V6 as the base engine (with the turbo V6 reserved for the Type S). I figured they'd follow the drivetrain lineup from the TLX, but that n/a V6 is pretty nice.

With the current MDX topping out around $60k MSRP (not that you pay that), I've gotta think a Type S will run into the mid-$60k's. I'll be curious how it competes at that price level.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253
    Had an itch last nite, and found this site with lots of cool JDM stuff for sale:

https://www.duncanimports.com/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    I was reading something recently that indicated that insurers (either here in Canada or across the US, I forget) were no longer going to offer insurance on RHD vehicles. I suspect that is a smokescreen to get out from insuring JDM vehicles as I suspect most of them are driven by those who do not drive sedately.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

MDX looks nice. Makes sense to me to keep the V6 on that. Distinguishes it a bit from just being an XL size RDX. Should compete well in that segment.

I saw a new design 3 series last weekend that was gorgeous. Really nice greenish gray color. Would not mind one of those at some point.

Michaell said:

Had an itch last nite, and found this site with lots of cool JDM stuff for sale:

Wow! That's quite an inventory there. A 240sx with 590 miles?

ab348 said:

I was reading something recently that indicated that insurers (either here in Canada or across the US, I forget) were no longer going to offer insurance on RHD vehicles. I suspect that is a smokescreen to get out from insuring JDM vehicles as I suspect most of them are driven by those who do not drive sedately.

That would be a shame. I pretty much ignored the Skylines and focused more on the cool 4-door sedans that weren't available here.

Something to liven up a Cars & Coffee meet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    qbrozen said:

That is amazing! All vehicles should look like that. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    ab348 said:

If they were offering physical damage coverage, I would imagine parts availability could be a huge problem, as well. Having to total a $20,000+ car because nobody can source a bumper cover would definitely skew their numbers.
    Michaell said:

That's not a good website for me to look at.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

Friends don’t let friends eat Jersey Mike’s.

If you are going for a chain hoagie in NJ it’s Primo’s all the way

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Primo is good. Turkey diablo. Yum.

Jersey mikes, I don't like their bread all that much.

Really struggling on the Enclave replacement. Large SUVs are not leasing well. Looking at the broker deals on LH XC90 loaners are running a touch above $600 at a 59K MSRP. This may be the best option since I have loyalty.

Lexus RX(L) isn’t great
    Acura MDX is ok, but isn’t that getting updated?
    Palisade and Telluride forget about it
    Explorer,Traverse, and Pilot don’t do much for me
    Has the Atlas come down to earth? Aren’t the power trains weak compared to others?

I think I am going to get an Internet quote on an XT6 for giggles ... at least the MF is low.

You want JDM? You want big? here you go. Honestly don't think I ever heard of this model before.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OgMXBv3/1990-toyota-crown-super-saloon

and this (someone may have posted the link before) I finally looked at. Did not realize how cool this is. Big 6 with a stick, all that blue? I love this thing. Not even all that far from me. Need it like a hole in the head of course.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVb6wV2Y/1981-jeep-cherokee

tjc78 said:

Really struggling on the Enclave replacement. Large SUVs are not leasing well. Looking at the broker deals on LH XC90 loaners are running a touch above $600 at a 59K MSRP. This may be the best option since I have loyalty.

Lexus RX(L) isn’t great
    Has the Atlas come down to earth? Aren’t the power trains weak compared to others?

I think I am going to get an Internet quote on an XT6 for giggles ... at least the MF is low.

might as well get the quote. I am as cheap as they come, but still think it is more important to pick the car first. Buying a deal, rarely works out!

but yes, the MDX is getting replaced with a completely new design in the winter some time (Q1 I think). But, it is a lease, so if you like the current design, and can get a good enough deal, who cares?

Atlas, not the fastest option, but at least it is huge inside. Have never driven one though. Just stick with the V6, not the 4 banger.

what about an Ascent? Those are nice. I really like the CX9, but that is a little smaller inside.

The new Highlander seems nice.

How about the big Infiniti (gussied up Pathfinder)? At least they look nice (there are a couple in my neighborhood of the Nissans, and I think at least one QX).

or just stick with the PU truck. Maybe a Ram!

Wife hates Toyota’s so Highlander is out, I’ll check out Ascent.

QX60 usually leases ok, but in reality our current Enclave is probably a better vehicle.

Trucks aren’t off the table, but so undecided at this point.

The XT6 was nice when I sat in one. Lots of toys on that barge.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Lexus RX(L) isn’t great

might as well get the quote. I am as cheap as they come, but still think it is more important to pick the car first. Buying a deal, rarely works out!

but yes, the MDX is getting replaced with a completely new design in the winter some time (Q1 I think). But, it is a lease, so if you like the current design, and can get a good enough deal, who cares?

Atlas, not the fastest option, but at least it is huge inside. Have never driven one though. Just stick with the V6, not the 4 banger.

what about an Ascent? Those are nice. I really like the CX9, but that is a little smaller inside.

The new Highlander seems nice.

How about the big Infiniti (gussied up Pathfinder)? At least they look nice (there are a couple in my neighborhood of the Nissans, and I think at least one QX).

or just stick with the PU truck. Maybe a Ram!
    What’s up in the market with large SUVS not leasing well? I thought the MDX at least used to lease pretty good. I think the current one is good looking for the record. Don’t know if it’s getting outdated inside.

Definitely can’t hurt it get a quote on the Cadillac. The Ascent is really nice and in typically Subaru fashion, loaded for the money. When we were looking they were brand new so didn’t lease well then. Don’t know if that has changed.

Atlas, yes V6 is a must and if I recall you kinda have to go toward the higher end if you want all the tech.

I’ll second the vote for a 4 dr truck. You just can’t beat the utility and properly optioned, the interiors are as nice as anything on the road, especially the Ram as noted.

My wife is just anti-truck or thats the route I would have taken instead of the LC.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I know that when I was looking at cars when the current RDX came out, and was at the Acura dealer a few times and online researching, the MDX leased out quite a bit cheaper than a comparable RDX with a sticker ~$10k later.

my wife would never want to drive a FS truck, and I really don't have much desire to do it all the time either. A compact though, would be nice as my 2nd car.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @tjc78 a shame Toyota is out, if you're considering a truck. Can't beat the lease rates on the Tacoma or Tundra.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

That was in response to Subway. Contrary to popular opinion, we aren't all in NJ. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2020
    corvette said:

@tjc78 a shame Toyota is out, if you're considering a truck. Can't beat the lease rates on the Tacoma or Tundra.

The new Venza looks nice too but being a new model, probably doesn’t lease well either.

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

That was in response to Subway. Contrary to popular opinion, we aren't all in NJ. ;)
    Hey we all can’t live in this great state!

As for Subway.... I can’t describe how bad they are with words appropriate for the forum!

stickguy said:

I know that when I was looking at cars when the current RDX came out, and was at the Acura dealer a few times and online researching, the MDX leased out quite a bit cheaper than a comparable RDX with a sticker ~$10k later.

my wife would never want to drive a FS truck, and I really don't have much desire to do it all the time either. A compact though, would be nice as my 2nd car.

I need to go and drive an MDX. I’ve always liked them. I think the wife would go for it.

Settlements are 10/29 and 10/30. Once we are moved in it’s time to really get to work. I have until 12/7. The only thing I’m trying to avoid is, registration is due on 11/30. So if I’m not staying GM and transferring plates I want to have to locked up by then to avoid paying that.

Yeah, definitely don’t want to register for a week! Thanksgiving weekend sales??

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Wow, you didn't give yourself a lot of time to work through the options, @tjc78 ! At least you have (literal) tons of options... in the end, you'll settle on something (and it will be readily available). Given everything else going on, perhaps this time is a matter of not thinking on it too much and just going with whatever fits the pocketbook the best.

It seems odd to me that vehicles with excellent resale often do not lease well. I guess it is just a matter of how much of a discount you're getting on the purchase price, yes?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I need to go and drive an MDX. I’ve always liked them. I think the wife would go for it.

Settlements are 10/29 and 10/30. Once we are moved in it’s time to really get to work. I have until 12/7. The only thing I’m trying to avoid is, registration is due on 11/30. So if I’m not staying GM and transferring plates I want to have to locked up by then to avoid paying that.
    I took some pretty extensive test drives of the MDX (a V6 Advance and a Sport Hybrid) recently and expected to be let down given its imminent replacement, but I was very impressed with how it drove. The overall feel and quality of materials is a notch below most luxury competitors, but given the savings I think it's appropriate. And the actual driving experience is engaging and a bit nostalgic with the n/a V6. I really liked the Sport Hybrid model - there's quite a difference in the way it feels, so I would recommend giving that a shot.

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

you should be fine going a few days over. I know that nobody is paying any attention to inspection stickers either. If somehow you got stopped and had to produce the registration, act dumb and just say it is going back in a few days. No way would I pay for a renewal! But getting it done first, certainly a good idea.

I had a loaner MDX about a year ago. It was very nice. I just found it to be big and bulky, but that obviously does not bother you. But features and comfort wise, it was nicely loaded. Drive very well, great drivetrain.

breld said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I took some pretty extensive test drives of the MDX (a V6 Advance and a Sport Hybrid) recently and expected to be let down given its imminent replacement, but I was very impressed with how it drove. The overall feel and quality of materials is a notch below most luxury competitors, but given the savings I think it's appropriate. And the actual driving experience is engaging and a bit nostalgic with the n/a V6. I really liked the Sport Hybrid model - there's quite a difference in the way it feels, so I would recommend giving that a shot.
    Thanks for that. I’d be looking at a Tech or Advance. I do like the idea of the V6 engine. That is why I like the GM options, I’m so used to the 3.6 V6 at this point.

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

you should be fine going a few days over. I know that nobody is paying any attention to inspection stickers either. If somehow you got stopped and had to produce the registration, act dumb and just say it is going back in a few days. No way would I pay for a renewal! But getting it done first, certainly a good idea.
    Yeah, it’s not like we drove all that much these days and we do have another car.

Could you turn in the Enclave and wait until the end of the year?

This is one of the downsides of leasing. You have to pull the trigger on something, but inventory and the lease programs are not in your favor.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    2020 MDX Tech is a great value - helped a friend get one and they love it.

Re: Jersey Mikes - feh.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Michaell said:

Could you turn in the Enclave and wait until the end of the year?

This is one of the downsides of leasing. You have to pull the trigger on something, but inventory and the lease programs are not in your favor.

There ya go, making sense again!