Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Sorry to kind of monopolize the conversation, but since @stickguy and @corvette took an interest....

After a quick conference, the Ford is now a more palatable $4,100, still pretty dear, and we also have a 2012 Cruze LS 1.8 with ~ 100k, automatic, for $3,950, which strikes me as a decent prospect.

Finally, a 2012 Subaru Legacy, no equipment details so I"m guessing low spec, 165k, CVT, 'drives real nice', $3450. That certainly warrants a look.

It's easier in the fall than during tax season, but COVID throws it out of whack. Which is why I really appreciate @qbrozen's valuations, because it calibrates things for us mere mortals ;).

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that 18. in the cruz a NA motor? Fusion must be a much nicer car to actually drive, but at the same price, is it worth the extra miles?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited November 2020
    Never mind, I see now there were two different Cruzes in the mix. 1.8 liter is the non-turbo. I think it makes similar power numbers as the turbo, but the turbo probably drives better overall.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    steine13 said:

Ah, sorry... AWD didn't enter my head... I'm reasonably sure it's FWD; I saw no stickers and even the VIN doesn't tell for sure; it's 3FAHP0JG8CR323703.

ok, comes up as FWD for me. Auction value would be $2k-$2500, depending on condition.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    on a car like that Cruz, I absolutely would want to go for the bigger NA engine instead of the turbo, just due to potential maintenance issues.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    stickguy said:

on a car like that Cruz, I absolutely would want to go for the bigger NA engine instead of the turbo, just due to potential maintenance issues.

My brother has a '12 Cruze 1.8L, 5-speed. He has put untold miles on it (definitely into the upper 100K now); very reliable car overall. He did need to replace the water pump a couple years back, but nothing that was overly costly or complicated.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited November 2020
    Moved to CCBA
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    edited November 2020
    steine13 said:

The next one in the pipeline is a very clean, one-owner '12 Cruze LT, auto, 1.4 turbo, 180k -- did not sell at the $3,900 asking price at the VW dealer, now will try its luck at the low-end lot... I'd have no problem with that if it were the 1.8 but the turbo scares me with those miles... and that's a $2k car on its best day even then. How bad is the COVID premium really?

From what I've read it is best to avoid the Cruze 1.4 Turbo. As the car ages and miles add up lots of issues that aren't minor.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    >> best to avoid the Cruze 1.4 Turbo.

Ya, even the selling dealer thinks that ;)

It's too bad, because it's quite a pleasant engine to drive... given that the high-mileage car made it this far and still runs good™, the 1.4 is probably not too bad if it gets maintained to a 'T'... something that's not all that likely with cheap cars that are leasing favorites.

One of the reasons I patrol the trade-in storage lot at the new-car dealer that is the source for all this hooptie goodness is to see the sleds in all their traded-in glory... the burger wrappers, bumper stickers, front license plate holders (out-of state! southern??) and everything else that tells a story.

Anybody else remember user 'crabspirits' spin stories based on junkyard pictures on TTAC years ago? That used to be a hoot.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    steine13 said:

Anybody else remember user 'crabspirits' spin stories based on junkyard pictures on TTAC years ago? That used to be a hoot.

Yes. Some of the stories went to some pretty dark places, but a lot of the best humor does that.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    My kid has a 2019 Cruze Premier RS, top of the line I think, and it's a delight to drive. Plenty of power when needed and it loos great in that blue color, Pacific Blue I think. Great vehicle so far.Her hubby just got a 2020 Camaro RS and it's outstanding!! A bit of a darker blue with stripes on the hood. He special ordered it to get exactly what he wanted. I might go with a Trax next year if things work out. Like the Premier model but in the dark gray color. Most out there are white or black but the dark gray is beautiful. Made in Korea and imported by Chevy.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    A MAN bought a V6 Camaro? Your daughter better verify his Man Card ASAP!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @roadburner,
    Could be a 4 cyl turbo.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

When I met my wife she had a V6 Mustang. She thought it was a hot little car. One day we were driving hone from somewhere and following one another. She tried to pass my 06 Avalon and got blown away.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited November 2020
    No, he bought the top of the line Camaro, maybe I got the name of it wrong, but it cost over 40K. Just found out, it's an "SS" model. My bad for getting it wrong but I know both vehicles have black bow-ties also. Trust me, it's fast and loud!
    And no need to test his man card, he's a good man. A man's man. He's also quite successful... your child should do so good!! They've been married one month today and we're quite happy for them. Guess some folks just need to say negative stuff in here which is sad...truly sad! I thought we were all above that!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited November 2020

No, he bought the top of the line Camaro, maybe I got the name of it wrong, but it cost over 40K. Just found out, it's an "SS" model. My bad for getting it wrong but I know both vehicles have black bow-ties also. Trust me, it's fast and loud!
    And no need to test his man card, he's a good man. A man's man. He's also quite successful... your child should do so good!! They've been married one month today and we're quite happy for them. Guess some folks just need to say negative stuff in here which is sad...truly sad! I thought we were all above that!

No, that was said in humor... it's okay! :D

I think the SS is probably top-mid level of the line... maybe the top of the "practical" category, as far as a Camaro can be practical. The top of the line is the Camaro ZL1 2LE.... about $75K. Seems a bit crazy for such a car, but there you have it. Disclaimer: I only know this because my brother owns one.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I'm sorry, but a man card check is absolutely mandatory if a guy buys a Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang without a V8. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78 said:

When I met my wife she had a V6 Mustang. She thought it was a hot little car. One day we were driving hone from somewhere and following one another. She tried to pass my 06 Avalon and got blown away.
    A few years ago I saw a portly, balding, middle aged guy get into a dull green V6 Mustang. It looked like around a '97 or so. As he drove away I saw his license plate frame which read, "My Mid-Life Crisis". I couldn't help but think what a painfully dull life that guy must have led if he considered the purchase of a dowdy old Mustang to be a walk on the wild side...
    As for me, my wife says I can't have a second childhood, as I'm still going through my first one.

• Options
    xwesx said:

I think the SS is probably top-mid level of the line... maybe the top of the "practical" category, as far as a Camaro can be practical. The top of the line is the Camaro ZL1 2LE.... about $75K. Seems a bit crazy for such a car, but there you have it. Disclaimer: I only know this because my brother owns one.

I wouldn't need a ZL1 but it would have to be an 2SS 1LE at an absolute minimum- and you are looking at an MSRP of close to $50k. The 1SS is a bit too bare bones for me.

• Options
    I don’t think the most recent V6 models are very shabby. I mean, we are still talking 300hp, which is more than their v8 counterparts from not all that long ago.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I don’t think the most recent V6 models are very shabby. I mean, we are still talking 300hp, which is more than their v8 counterparts from not all that long ago.

I concur with this opinion from the October 2017 issue of CAR: "You buy a Mustang for that 5.0-litre V8. Don't even consider the weedy four-cylinder 2.3. That's like buying a Fender Stratocaster without any strings- all style and no sound. Rev it and dream of Days of Thunder at Daytona."

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

qbrozen said:

I concur with this opinion from the October 2017 issue of CAR: "You buy a Mustang for that 5.0-litre V8. Don't even consider the weedy four-cylinder 2.3. That's like buying a Fender Stratocaster without any strings- all style and no sound. Rev it and dream of Days of Thunder at Daytona."
    Except it was a Lumina that was featured in Days of Thunder....

Typical Brits....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

The RS is the rental fodder model he's seen a lot in the Hertz fleets. The SS keeps your man card in tact. Now I haven't driven the current generation, but a while back my rental RS model didn't feel like 300+ HP, mainly because it was super heavy. If it's lighter now, that should help.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    This is going to happen later today:
    2012 Cruze LS, 100,060 miles, clean, one-owner, 1.8 l NA engine and 6sp automatic. Steel wheels, decent Cooper tires, blue/gray metallic. Nice enough for what it is, $3,950. No cruise on this Cruze but that should not be too expensive to add.
  • Options
    qb, I meant to thank you earlier for providing a working value on my Accord. It made determining an acceptable difference between the Accord and Passat easy. Thanks again!

• Options
    The Cruze from two posts up.
    The tires are Goodyear Assurance and pretty new; front brakes were done yesterday. All in all a decent little driver.
    I got the tires confused with the OTHER 2012 one-owner Cruze at the same store. Not easy, the car business. And yes, I need a new driveway. Spring '21.

• Options
    @steine13,
    Your post doc friend will feel like they got a big car.
  • Options
    I so wanted him to have the Concord :)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    steine13 said:

I so wanted him to have the Concord :)

The supersonic airplane? :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    no, the new hampshire capital. be about the same size..
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    @qbrozen

This should have gone through an Ohio auction within the last 60 days, I think.
    Any ideas?

https://www.patriotautomartllc.com/inventory/subaru/forester/u356/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2020
    kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Any ideas?

Don’t see that particular one. Figure about $5k auction

Buy it for 6995 and after a $3k head gasket and t-belt job, you should be good to go. ;b

• Options
    DIY that. lots of videos on youtube on that job. I spent way too much time watching them for some reason.

FYI, easier to pull the engine out first and do it on a stand.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Any ideas?

Don’t see that particular one. Figure about $5k auction

Buy it for 6995 and after a $3k head gasket and t-belt job, you should be good to go. ;b
    Thanks.. it's a one local owner with a great Carfax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

DIY that. lots of videos on youtube on that job. I spent way too much time watching them for some reason.

FYI, easier to pull the engine out first and do it on a stand.

Yeah, I'll get right on that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    edited November 2020
    kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Any ideas?

Is it the same motor as in 2006? On our Subie, T-belt, gasket, water pump job was about $1500.00 and was done at 105K miles.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    sb55 said:

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Any ideas?

Is it the same motor as in 2006? On our Subie, T-belt, gasket, water pump job was about $1500.00 and was done at 105K miles.
    No, updated engine since then, I think.. (but, I'll check).

But, car is currently at 125K

Serpentine belt at 80K
    New pads and rotors all the way around at 80K
    New clutch and slave cylinder at 97K
    Plugs, pulleys, tensioners at 101K

Regular maintenance, all at the same independent shop.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    I’d get a PPI. Sounds like a winner otherwise.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    sb55 said:

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Any ideas?

Timing chain on this one... No belt.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

It looks great! That's a straight up base model, too; often those, in particular, just get ragged on for some reason. 2012 used the FB25 engine, so heads shouldn't be an issue. However, these did have a significant oil consumption issue that was subject to a class-action lawsuit and extended warranty. However, the terms were 8/100, so this one is outside of that.

If its history report does not indicate this being done, I would recommend that you see if you can get an "extended test drive," e.g., at least over night. Check oil and top it off if necessary, then run it hard for a couple hundred miles, and check the oil level again. If you can discern a drop in the oil level on the dipstick, then it has the issue.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

It looks great! That's a straight up base model, too; often those, in particular, just get ragged on for some reason. 2012 used the FB25 engine, so heads shouldn't be an issue. However, these did have a significant oil consumption issue that was subject to a class-action lawsuit and extended warranty. However, the terms were 8/100, so this one is outside of that.

If its history report does not indicate this being done, I would recommend that you see if you can get an "extended test drive," e.g., at least over night. Check oil and top it off if necessary, then run it hard for a couple hundred miles, and check the oil level again. If you can discern a drop in the oil level on the dipstick, then it has the issue.
    Thanks for the info

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    >> ..easier to pull the engine out first

Let me fix that:
    ...easier to buy something else.

Seriously, Subarus sell used like Toyotas and Hondas, but they simply aren't that sturdy. Not that they're all that bad, but they're too expensive used for what you can expect ni terms of repairs. Where a similar Toyota would just keep on going stodgily about its business.

Not so sure about the head gasket issue being solved for the '12 MY but definitely better than before, when it was guaranteed.

Unless for some reason you have to have one, the AWD is the only reason to buy this brand. It's truly like cheating. I expect Audis are still a tick better at that game, but then you're in a world of hurt in terms of upkeep and repair.

Case in point, here's the #hackjob I wound up doing yesterday... 2003 Sienna 208k miles... Brake/ABS/tire pressure lights all on simultaneously. Google say, fluid level.. sure enough, 'needed topped off', and I did, and still no joy. More google, now say look for dangling wheel speed sensor in the rear. Bingo. $6 in epoxy glue later, we're golden again -- the insert shows the open hub with the hamster wheel that provides the signal. Subaru wheel bearings do not look like this at 18 miley years.

• Options

• Options
    Locally CarMax has a 2020 Accord Sport for $29K. It has scratches about 10k mi. You can buy one new for less.

• Options
    @qbrozen,
    Darn, forgot about reasonable profit. :D
  • Options
    100chuck100chuck Member Posts: 149
    I tried the car appraisal tool on the Edmunds site and received two offers on my 2010 Taurus SHO with 81,000 miles. CarMax Fort Wayne Indiana $6910, CarMax Grand Rapids Michigan $7,600.

CarMax logo
    $7,600*
    2010 Ford Taurus
    VIN: 1FAHP2KT2AG130488
    Offer Code: NPB6L54S
    Valid until 12/03/2020
  • Options
    100chuck said:

I tried the car appraisal tool on the Edmunds site and received two offers on my 2010 Taurus SHO with 81,000 miles. CarMax Fort Wayne Indiana $6910, CarMax Grand Rapids Michigan $7,600.

CarMax logo
    $7,600*
    2010 Ford Taurus
    VIN: 1FAHP2KT2AG130488
    Offer Code: NPB6L54S
    Valid until 12/03/2020

2 accidents? Take the money and run!

• Options
    100chuck100chuck Member Posts: 149
    I know, I was wondering if the offers were realistic both locations are about a three hour drive, my local Ford dealer offer me $5600 for the car. Working from home because of Covid, I probably only drive the car once or twice a week.
  • Options
    100chuck said:

I know, I was wondering if the offers were realistic both locations are about a three hour drive, my local Ford dealer offer me $5600 for the car. Working from home because of Covid, I probably only drive the car once or twice a week.

Check Carvana and Vroom, too. They’ll come pick it up.