Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    not a new car, but a new windshield. The princess called last week to inform that a truck nailed her windshield with a rock. Pretty big hole and a long crack. Definitely not fixable. So I looked online for some referrals and read reviews, made a few calls, and found a well regarded guy right in town. Who turned out to be a good $100 cheaper (she likes that). Since she is home this week, working from here, had him out this morning. Made quick work of it in the driveway. Amazing how fast they can do a job like this, when they have the tools and expertise. $300 later, a brand new window. No hole, and 40,000 miles worth of scratches gone.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    driver100 said:

Those signs aren't a joke, they are for real.
    Moose usually got their salt, a vital part of their diets, from salt licks — deposits of salt and minerals scattered throughout the Jasper Park. But the animals discovered that they could get the mineral from cars splashed with road salt.

....another reason I would rather be in Florida. Yesterday I had to shovel about 3 inches of heavy snow from the driveway and sidewalk, our snow blower guy has decided he doesn't want to do snow blowing any more :'(

Man, that’s rough. There isn’t anything worse than a “Snow Blowing Guy” that up and decides to retire. Life without Florida in the Winter just ain’t worth livin no more.😟

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    stickguy said:

you can push your own snow blower if you want. It is allowed.

Been there, done that. :(

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Moose usually got their salt, a vital part of their diets, from salt licks — deposits of salt and minerals scattered throughout the Jasper Park. But the animals discovered that they could get the mineral from cars splashed with road salt.

....another reason I would rather be in Florida. Yesterday I had to shovel about 3 inches of heavy snow from the driveway and sidewalk, our snow blower guy has decided he doesn't want to do snow blowing any more :'(

Man, that’s rough. There isn’t anything worse than a “Snow Blowing Guy” that up and decides to retire. Life without Florida in the Winter just ain’t worth livin no more.😟

jmonroe
    Yeh, life ain't fair :@

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Yeh, life ain't fair :@
    Sounds like the basis for a good country and western song, about the life and trials of a snow-blowin' man.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

Can you blame him with the wild moose licking pandemic going on?😳

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    I had to move some snow around today - got 3-4" total, and the mattress delivery guys were due between 12-2.

Got an automated call about 15 minutes before they arrived. Showed up, put plastic booties on, brought in the new mattress and box springs, hauled the old ones away, in about 10-15 minutes. Very efficient.

Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

I know they are real, I have the link to the news article about it in my post.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

Well shoveling that much snow causes sweat, and sweat contains salt, and Moose like salt, and I don't want to be attacked by a wild moose.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Well shoveling that much snow causes sweat, and sweat contains salt, and Moose like salt, and I don't want to be attacked by a wild moose.
    Would you prefer being attacked by a wild turkey?

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Wait this is better.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    We had been warned about the danger of hitting a moose on the ALCAN, but we only came close once- my co-driver was at the wheel at his customary 85 mph cruising speed when a couple of moose started crossing the road in front of us. We were on snow so there was no stopping but fortunately the moose made it across just in time.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My sister and brother in law in Colorado were driving through a canyon when a herd of elk jumped into the canyon with a couple of them landing on top of her car. The engine was actually pushed forward through the radiator. When my sister came to one of the elk was dead lying on top of her, it went right through the windshield. They never saw them coming, a trucker who witnessed the crash was amazed that either of them lived through it.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    We had an inch or two around here Monday morning, but 99% of it seems to be gone now. We're in that freeze/thaw cycle that can be a little annoying. I think the official snow total here so far is around 12", not bad for pre-Thanksgiving.
    Michaell said:

I had to move some snow around today - got 3-4" total, and the mattress delivery guys were due between 12-2.

Got an automated call about 15 minutes before they arrived. Showed up, put plastic booties on, brought in the new mattress and box springs, hauled the old ones away, in about 10-15 minutes. Very efficient.

Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited November 2020

We had been warned about the danger of hitting a moose on the ALCAN, but we only came close once- my co-driver was at the wheel at his customary 85 mph cruising speed when a couple of moose started crossing the road in front of us. We were on snow so there was no stopping but fortunately the moose made it across just in time.

Was this Satch or someone else? His northern tales are well and plenty.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited November 2020
    Satch was on board for part of the rally but not at the time of the moose encounter. One day the route was from Tok to Fairbanks, but first we had to take Satch to Valdez so he could fly back to Anchorage and put the latest issue of Roundel to bed. The rest of the competitors only had to drive from Tok to Fairbanks. We always drove the transit stages at a "brisk" pace, but we really threw caution to the wind on the Valdez-Fairbanks leg. We arrived at the motel and the rally organizer said, "I thought that you had to take a detour to Valdez." "We did", I replied. He shook his head and said, "That's insane- you guys are only the third car to arrive."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Here's a shot of our rally car:

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited November 2020
    Good times.

My wife and I enjoyed our trip to AK in the summer of '19, and my Lincoln LS & I made the trip up to Chicken & Dawson City in the summer of '07. Then there was my sailing voyage to Wrangell via Ketchikan in the summer of '77. Some of my best memories are from AK; the people up there are my kind of people. Down here. . .not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Summer of '93 and for many road trips long after that there was always this. "Looking clear through a windshield full of stars..." Good times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxh2zHE_WUU
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

I’m still trying to decide between the Sony A9G and 950H displays. The issue is the price delta. If I go with the 950H I can buy the Panasonic DP-UB820 and a decent laptop for my wife for $50 more than the A9G alone. My wife-bless her heart-said to go with the A9G if that’s what I want, so I’ll have to compare them in person to see if I detect a $700 difference.
    Apparently neither display will get a BF discount- although the BD player and the laptop get significant price cuts. Rats.

Are you asking for our vote? LOL!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Thanksgiving and Washing Machines
    So we are either getting our 18 month old washing machine replaced or having lots of parts replaced.

Wow.
    Wow X2

WowX3
    Crazy!!!! :@

WOW x4! I bet someone from the appliance store’s admin staff (like the one who didn’t inform the warranty company) is looking for work over the holidays!

Bearings are what made my LGs bit the dust. But, mine were 13 years old. That said, I remember my late Mother having a Maytag for over 20 years.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Grumble grumble time...

My house is on the slightly downhill end on a corner, which means I have a pair of storm sewer grates at the curb. The city-owned street trees between the sidewalk and curb are almost all older maples. When they start to drop leaves in October/November it means there are lots of them, many of which accumulate in the gutters on he street. When it rains, some flow towards the grates at my corner and plug them. The city is supposed to be responsible for keeping those and the gutters clear of leaves but this year they gave them one quick pass in October before most of the leaves came down and that was it.

Over the last 2 weeks I cleared the curb gutters and the grates 3 separate times, getting 8 bags of leaves. The most recent was Sunday, 3 days ago, and when I was done there was not a single leaf remaining on my part of the street. Monday night we had torrential rains with some wind and you can guess what happened. Some of the untouched leaves from up the street rode the water down to the grates on my corner. Yesterday I looked out and saw that there were a few there and figured I would clear them one last time when the temperatures warmed up (it was 22 F. when I got up this AM). I just happened to look out and between then and now some person decided to clear the grates (fine) and deposited those leaves in a pile on the grass in front of my place (not fine). Grrrr. Makes me wish I had a security camera there.

First world problems, I know... :angry:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    ab348 said:

Grumble grumble time...

My house is on the slightly downhill end on a corner, which means I have a pair of storm sewer grates at the curb. The city-owned street trees between the sidewalk and curb are almost all older maples. When they start to drop leaves in October/November it means there are lots of them, many of which accumulate in the gutters on he street. When it rains, some flow towards the grates at my corner and plug them. The city is supposed to be responsible for keeping those and the gutters clear of leaves but this year they gave them one quick pass in October before most of the leaves came down and that was it.

Over the last 2 weeks I cleared the curb gutters and the grates 3 separate times, getting 8 bags of leaves. The most recent was Sunday, 3 days ago, and when I was done there was not a single leaf remaining on my part of the street. Monday night we had torrential rains with some wind and you can guess what happened. Some of the untouched leaves from up the street rode the water down to the grates on my corner. Yesterday I looked out and saw that there were a few there and figured I would clear them one last time when the temperatures warmed up (it was 22 F. when I got up this AM). I just happened to look out and between then and now some person decided to clear the grates (fine) and deposited those leaves in a pile on the grass in front of my place (not fine). Grrrr. Makes me wish I had a security camera there.

So you're telling the leaves "Get off my lawn"? :laughing:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Thanksgiving and Washing Machines
    So we are either getting our 18 month old washing machine replaced or having lots of parts replaced.

Wow.
    Wow X2

WowX3
    Crazy!!!! :@

WOW x4! I bet someone from the appliance store’s admin staff (like the one who didn’t inform the warranty company) is looking for work over the holidays!

My bet is that the guy who didn't inform the warranty company got a bonus because that guy does it often and only a small percentage of them make warranty claims thus increasing the stores profit by a lot.

ab348 said:

Grumble grumble time...

The storm drain by me is right between our house and our neighbors and the storm drain system goes between our house and empties into a retainage lake behind our house. Every now and again this time of year we get the same thing where the street starts to flood. Either my neighbor or myself will see it flooding go out and clean it out so the water will drain.

ab348 said:

Grumble grumble time...
    I just happened to look out and between then and now some person decided to clear the grates (fine) and deposited those leaves in a pile on the grass in front of my place (not fine). Grrrr. Makes me wish I had a security camera there.

At least he left them in one nice neat pile :)

Real estate agent just took me on a tour this house for downsizing. You locals may recognize the neighborhood as Glendale, OH. Not sure I want to downsize THAT MUCH!!!!

Nice home, well cared for, good neighborhood, across the street from a park....

(edit...looks like we can no longer attach photos anymore....didn't know. Sorry!)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777

Real estate agent just took me on a tour this house for downsizing. You locals may recognize the neighborhood as Glendale, OH. Not sure I want to downsize THAT MUCH!!!!

(edit...looks like we can no longer attach photos anymore....didn't know. Sorry!)

What's the address?

(I've been having trouble with Safari, lately)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

got a link to it on realtor.com or zillow? Address works too!

Floor looks nice and perfect fit.

thanks. It even matches the paint color nicely. Sheet vinyl is much easier to work with than wood or laminate.

I did discover the best way to trim it. Usually would use a utility knife, but I tend to have trouble cutting straight with them, and using that long a straight edge is a pain. But we have a pair of black and decker electric scissors (we got them for stuff like cutting open plastic packaging). Went through this vinyl like butter, and super easy to follow a pencil line, and easy to do fine trimming. Very quick too.

stickguy said:

speaking of houses, I know everyone has been anxiously awaiting an update on my shed project. After evaluating options, I took ABs advice and went out yesterday and got a piece of sheet vinyl cut at Lowes.

I hope you read and acknowledged my disclaimer, not intended as expert advice, no responsibility for unintended outcomes, all responsibility is on the part of the reader, etc.

:wink:

It does look good though.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    stickguy said:

speaking of houses, I know everyone has been anxiously awaiting an update on my shed project. After evaluating options, I took ABs advice and went out yesterday and got a piece of sheet vinyl cut at Lowes. 12x8. Sprang for the good stuff at .$99 SF, so all in about $95.

got it laid out and trimmed today. Came out good, even the wife liked it. And perfect for what I needed (to keep the subfloor from getting chewed up, and make it easier to keep clean). Plus it looks a lot nicer. Now just have to finish putting stuff back in it (and fighting the battle with the spouse about getting rid of old crap instead of putting it all back in there), Will also get some pegboard and hooks to hang some stuff like week whacker and electric edger to get them off the floor.

Nice! I may do this down the shore now. The sand from the beach is a PITA on the rough wood floor.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    stickguy said:

speaking of houses, I know everyone has been anxiously awaiting an update on my shed project. After evaluating options, I took ABs advice and went out yesterday and got a piece of sheet vinyl cut at Lowes. 12x8. Sprang for the good stuff at .$99 SF, so all in about $95.

got it laid out and trimmed today. Came out good, even the wife liked it. And perfect for what I needed (to keep the subfloor from getting chewed up, and make it easier to keep clean). Plus it looks a lot nicer. Now just have to finish putting stuff back in it (and fighting the battle with the spouse about getting rid of old crap instead of putting it all back in there), Will also get some pegboard and hooks to hang some stuff like week whacker and electric edger to get them off the floor.

Still looks like a shed but with a small couch/recliner, small fridge and a large TV it could work for when you mouth off.😎

Good luck with it.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Shed floor looks great. Is the vinyl glued down?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Does it have electricity?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    kyfdx said:

What's the address?

Me too but I thought it was my technical incompetence.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 to all!🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited November 2020
    abacomike said:

From me as well! Enjoy your smaller gatherings with your closest friends and family.

Tom

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    tjc78 said:

abacomike said:

From me as well! Enjoy your smaller gatherings with your closest friends and family.

Tom
    Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b3WJx4hhaM
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Still looks like a shed but with a small couch/recliner, small fridge and a large TV it could work for when you mouth off.😎

Good luck with it.

jmonroe

Would make for a nice mancave for those "want some privacy" moments.

Happy Thanksgiving Guys!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I hope everyone has a safe and nice Thanksgiving. I’m hungry already!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

ab348 said:

I like this:

Yup, some people like family get togethers, and some people don't. I do.....depending on which members of the family are involved!

"Why don't you try the dark meat? TRY IT! TRY THE DARK MEAT!!!". :laughing:

And a happy Thanksgiving to all.

And to our friends up north, happy Thursday.

edited November 2020
    kyfdx said:

What's the address?

No pics up yet, as I only have the ones I took. So, can’t display from my pics.

Tried Safari, Google and Firefox. No luck. So, something’s broken on the host’s side.
    Only way I can consistently post pics is on a PC. I just use the snipping tool and copy/paste into the posting window. Works everytime.