Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Goo-gone is amazing stuff. I'd try that first.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    stickguy said:

question for the know it alls pros. still trying to de-sap my car after getting trashed by a pine tree. one big blop I missed that is hardened on the front bumper cover (so white painted plastic). I have an old bottle of bug and tar remover which is not doing much on it, and I don't want to get too aggressive trying to scrape it off.

so what is the best product to put on to loosen it up so I can safely get it off (maybe flicking it with a fingernail, my go-to safe removal tool!)

Try paint thinner. Note that I said, “paint thinner” not lacquer thinner or acetone. That stuff will get it off alright but the paint will come off with it. ☹️ In any case, whenever you’re going to use chemicals on your car it’s always best to try the chemical on the underside of the trunk first.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Did someone say they were having trouble printing pictures from files?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

Wow Batman really let himself go.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

Conversely, when I’m at the stop sign side of the intersection a clueless motorist will stop at the no-stop side and sit there while traffic backs up onto the highway.

Yup, and these people can all vote, not that it matters.
    Boy, if that ain’t the truth.

Back in the late 70’s Mrs. j went to the mall in our area with her never married aunt (great person but she had her ways) many times for shopping and lunch. Anyway, one day Mrs. j sees her aunt pull into the driveway and goes out onto the porch to tell her to move to the other side so she could get her car out of the garage. Her aunt said, “you always drive, so I’ll drive this time”. They come to a 4-way stop intersection at the mall and her aunt goes right through without stopping. Mrs. j said she damn near past out. Then she said after she caught her breath, “hey, didn’t you see the stop sign”? Her aunt said, “yeah but that was a 4-way intersection”. To which Mrs. j said, “SO” and her aunt said, “somebody had to go first, so I went first”. 😳 I guess that’s how they did it in the Burgh where her aunt lived. That was the first and last time her aunt drove to the mall.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    DIL had a blowout in her Encore on way home from clinic Sunday evening. I had been buying AAA for both of the "kids," but she called the State Farm road service number. After about an hour they said they had a delay of another 45 minutes.

Meanwhile son drove to where the car was on side of I75 and they called AAA. Was there within minutes. I think DIL knew that they had road service on the State Farm bill, so why not use it was her thinking.

AAA changed and put donut spare on front. Per my urging about what tire brands to buy, they ordered replacement Michelins at a local regional chain, and the guy called when the tires were there that same morning. Dropped car and had road hazard and an alignment added per instructions.

But the shop charged $12 for sanitizing the car. I don't recall the company charging $12 to sanitize car when I took my Cobalt in for tire rotation under the lifetime purchase agreement.

Original tires were Hancook brand and DIL said there didn't grip well on water and snow last year. The better tread rubber on the Michelins should do better. The Hancook tires may have gotten low on pressure at one point, damaging the sidewall which eventually failed even though the tire pressures had been corrected.

The Hancook tires from 2008 on Cobalt developed hard tread with little stickiness and lots of road noise after about 30-40% worn. So I had them replaced for Imid, Jr., to take the car back to Columbus with him years ago.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited November 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

Conversely, when I’m at the stop sign side of the intersection a clueless motorist will stop at the no-stop side and sit there while traffic backs up onto the highway.

Boy, if that ain’t the truth.

Back in the late 70’s Mrs. j went to the mall in our area with her never married aunt (great person but she had her ways) many times for shopping and lunch. Anyway, one day Mrs. j sees her aunt pull into the driveway and goes out onto the porch to tell her to move to the other side so she could get her car out of the garage. Her aunt said, “you always drive, so I’ll drive this time”. They come to a 4-way stop intersection at the mall and her aunt goes right through without stopping. Mrs. j said she damn near past out. Then she said after she caught her breath, “hey, didn’t you see the stop sign”? Her aunt said, “yeah but that was a 4-way intersection”. To which Mrs. j said, “SO” and her aunt said, “somebody had to go first, so I went first”. 😳 I guess that’s how they did it in the Burgh where her aunt lived. That was the first and last time her aunt drove to the mall.

jmonroe

I think I told the story before about my kid being in the driver’s education car watching another kid take his turn at driving. He drove up to a stop sign and kept right on going. The instructor says with alarm “that was a stop sign”. The kid calming responded “nobody was coming”.

That was 15 years ago and that kid is probably your next Uber driver.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Glad someone can get it to work. I just deleted all cookies and web pages hoping that would reset something but it seems all I accomplished was to waste a bunch of time reconnecting to various sites and email accounts. I give up.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Glad someone can get it to work. I just deleted all cookies and web pages hoping that would reset something but it seems all I accomplished was to waste a bunch of time reconnecting to various sites and email accounts. I give up.
    I'm not even good at computer stuff. Is it my Chrome or is it because Windows 10......I don't know?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345

Another near miss at being T-boned. Four-way stop sign. I let the southbound driver on my right go even though I got there a second ahead of him. If I had started across, the northbound middle-aged lady in her EquinoX would have hit me on driver's side. She missed the stop sign because the right turn land and the thru lane have a space between them--the stop sign is further off to the right than normal on the grass.

I blew the horn at her as she went by. She was all primped up with her hair in place and looked dressed. Probably going to Kroger for the Black Friday specials. LOL

I wondered if she even knew why someone blew the horn at her. No phone. No cigarette. No looked in mirror. Just looking straight ahead.

I getting scared of driving with all these older people around. First a motorcyclist who might have been 50ish. Then this lady at 60ish.

The road that leads to our house has an intersection where only the cross street has a stop sign. at least once a week some idiot blows through the stop sign. When I lay on the horn they give ME a dirty look...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,871

driver100 said:

So did Superman. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

driver100 said:

I'm not even good at computer stuff. Is it my Chrome or is it because Windows 10......I don't know?

It's because this forums software is very poorly designed and implemented and is unable to account for the inevitable variations that exist in end-user environments. When everything else works normally but one site does not for many users, that is not a user issue.

venture said:

driver100 said:

Hey, not fair, taken from a really poor angle!

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

It's because this forums software is very poorly designed and implemented and is unable to account for the inevitable variations that exist in end-user environments. When everything else works normally but one site does not for many users, that is not a user issue.
    Maybe it was designed to work for unsophisticated laypersons :p

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    No change for me either. When I click on the selected icon nothing happens.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    sda said:

No change for me either. When I click on the selected icon nothing happens.

No joy here, either!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I found that the icons will start working on my PC if I refresh the page. The icons never work on my iPhone.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I’ve preached to my son for years, it isn’t an option, it’s a duty in the U.S.A to vote. Always has been that way, always will be. When he was younger, he said his vote didn’t matter. As he’s matured, he realizes it does. It always has.

I found that the icons will start working on my PC if I refresh the page. The icons never work on my iPhone.

Yeah, just tried that on my iPhone, no joy.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I just found that on another site, the drop down menu wouldn't work, but there was another flyout menu open on that browser. When I closed the other flyout menu, the drop down menu would work.

To extrapolate, on my PC laptop Windows 10, Edge always runs in the background and sometimes has a page that shows because of its thinking that I clicked on something like the information links on the lockpage at startup. I have never changed Windows 10's default browser. I just use whichever one I want. The conclusion might be there's something else operating that doesn't show that's blocking the pull down menu's operation--even something in the background.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

venture said:

driver100 said:

You know that Batman really doesn't like Superman.

I’ve preached to my son for years, it isn’t an option, it’s a duty in the U.S.A to vote. Always has been that way, always will be. When he was younger, he said his vote didn’t matter. As he’s matured, he realizes it does. It always has.
    Boy do I want to reply to that but I won't other to say not voting is still voting, you're just voting for none of the above.

They had Echo Dot's on sale this weekend for under $20 so my wife bought a few for gifts for family members., plus she also got one for us. Now she thinks that getting one for us was a mistake as I keep asking Alexa to open the pod bay doors.

FYI Alexa responds "I'm Sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cant do that, I'm not HAL and you're not in space."

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Yep, suppressing votes is like a hobby now in this burgeoning kakistocracy.

Virtually every time I go to Costco or even to a regular store or just being on the road, I wonder how these people were able to pay for a membership or even put gas in the car, morons morons everywhere.

Boy do I want to reply to that but I won't other to say not voting is still voting, you're just voting for none of the above.
    We had municipal elections here at the end of October - why, I kind of wonder, since the incumbents are almost always guaranteed re-election since most people don't care. But several retired after decades in office so new ones had to get elected. Anyway, because of Covid, they went heavy on the online voting though they still allowed limited in-person ballots to be cast. The online choices included a "none of the above" choice (but with no write-in provision) along with (IIRC) something like "I choose to to vote in the election for..." and then giving you the choice of mayor, council, or school board.

I would say spoiling your ballot or saying none of the above is voting....but, not voting isn't the same as voting. Not voting is for lazy ignorant morons who don't appreciate what a great democratic country they live in, where they actually are able to vote. There aren't too many great countries that don't allow voting.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    driver100 said:

Not voting is for lazy ignorant morons who don't appreciate what a great democratic country they live in

oh just stop

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@driver100 AMEN! Again, I tell those who [non-permissible content removed] about their gov’t whether they vote. If they say “no”, they give up their right to voice their opinion.
    edited November 2020
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Maybe it was designed to work for unsophisticated laypersons :p
    It should work flawlessly for me then.🙀

driver100 said:

I would say spoiling your ballot or saying none of the above is voting....but, not voting isn't the same as voting. Not voting is for lazy ignorant morons who don't appreciate what a great democratic country they live in, where they actually are able to vote. There aren't too many great countries that don't allow voting.
    I am going to disagree with you wholeheartedly, Not voting is voting for none of the above. Lets look at the presidential election of late, there were something like 28 people who ran for president and appeared on the ballot in at least one state. Of those 28 the combined votes of the 26 lowest vote getters equaled less than 1.25% of the vote combined. This means only two people actually had a chance and lets say that you don't like either one. Now this leaves you with three choices, you can vote for a guy you hate because you hate the other guy more, you could vote for someone you know that has a better chance of winning Le Mans in a rusted out Yugo with 125k miles on it then becoming President, or not voting at all. I would think that either of the last two are preferable over the first choice.

In the last election I didn't vote in one race as one candidate was corrupt, crooked as a dogs hind leg and evil to the core, the other made the first look like a saint. I declined to cast a vote for that race. Remember voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

So yes not voting is equivalent to none of the above.

Yup, no vote = no right to complain.

Maybe people need to grow up and learn that there is seldom a really good choice on the ballot - it is all about the lesser evil. To paraphrase South Park, you get to choose between a [non-permissible content removed] and a turd sandwich.

@driver100 AMEN! Again, I tell those who [non-permissible content removed] about their gov’t whether they vote. If they say “no”, they give up their right to voice their opinion.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270
    And that’s how the fight started...

Multiple people with multiple opinions.

Every little thing gonna be all right
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    one thing about voting though. While many people focus on the top line, there are many other races down to the local level. So even if you want to abstain from the top line, if you do it by not voting at all, you aren't weighing in on the guy in your town that might have a direct impact on your day to day life.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Don’t blame me. I voted for Kodos.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

My son wrote in Bernie. He’s a big fan.

driver100 said:

In the last election I didn't vote in one race as one candidate was corrupt, crooked as a dogs hind leg and evil to the core, the other made the first look like a saint. I declined to cast a vote for that race. Remember voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

So yes not voting is equivalent to none of the above.
    You should still vote....even if it is for the less evil guy. If you are protesting and don't like the choices, then not voting means nothing......to really show you don't approve of the choices you have to indicate that by marking a ballot. Not showing up to show your displeasure gets chalked up as a don't care no show.

qbrozen said:

Poor devil.

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Poor devil.
    I don’t judge.😧

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

And, we definitely don't want to know who you voted for.

Switch it up.....I just got a recall notice on my Stinger. They tell me it may catch on fire, but they don’t know how to fix it. So, not sure exactly what they want me to do. They said in the recall that if it does catch on fire, pull over to the side of the road and have it towed to a dealership. DUH!!!!!!

I’m sure there is some sort of CYA going on here, but this is the stupidest recall notice I’ve ever been a part of.

In short....”if your car catches on fire, don’t stay in it. Get out of it. We don’t know how to fix it, but take it somewhere and let it burn.”
    kyfdx said:

No more politics.

I'm a procrastinator I voted for Henry Harrison. Tippecanoe and Tylor too!

Switch it up.....I just got a recall notice on my Stinger. They tell me it may catch on fire, but they don’t know how to fix it. So, not sure exactly what they want me to do. They said in the recall that if it does catch on fire, pull over to the side of the road and have it towed to a dealership. DUH!!!!!!

What? No calling the fire department? Are they expecting you to have it towed while it's still burning?

Speaking of fires, if you were watching the Bahrain GP this morning, that crash of Grosjean was the scariest one I have seen in a long time. Miraculous he not only survived, but remained conscious to get out of there himself.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

I’m sure there is some sort of CYA going on here, but this is the stupidest recall notice I’ve ever been a part of.

In short....”if your car catches on fire, don’t stay in it. Get out of it. We don’t know how to fix it, but take it somewhere and let it burn.”
    Good grief, really? I guess you have to park it outside until they find a fix. 😡

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I have gotten quite a few of those recall notices over the years, where they notify you that there is a problem they know about, but no fix available yet. So just a heads-up in case it happens, and they will let you know in the future if they can do something about it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    ab348 said:

Speaking of fires, if you were watching the Bahrain GP this morning, that crash of Grosjean was the scariest one I have seen in a long time. Miraculous he not only survived, but remained conscious to get out of there himself.

I’m just now watching it on my DVR. I have no idea what could have caused the car to split in half like it did.

Wondering if this could have been prevented if the FIA used SAFER barriers like NASCAR.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2020

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

Wow; are you saying it might burst into flame- even if you don't open the hood or attempt some frightening procedure like adding windshield washer fluid or checking tire pressures? Scary!
    Some folks would need asbestos versions of their Depends just to back it out of the garage...

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

Maybe they want you to carry around a few fire extinguishers just in case!

kyfdx said:

No more politics.

LOL if it catches fire, don’t stay in it? They don’t have a very high opinion of their customers, do they?

That would be a fun warranty claim then, and not insurance, right?

I recall when I was younger, my uncle's Taurus self-immolated while parked in his driveway. It was an out of warranty car, I think insurance handled it (he replaced it with a LeSabre).