Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Hoovie has it pretty easy in that department - buy, pay someone else to fix, then sell at a loss or give the car away. :D
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    corvette said:

Hoovie has it pretty easy in that department - buy, pay someone else to fix, then sell at a loss or give the car away. :D

Because the YT income allows him to absorb those costs....more about entertainment now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Like I said. I’ve tapped out from JR. I enjoy Hoovie though because he does exactly what I would do given unlimited funds.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901

Like I said. I’ve tapped out from JR. I enjoy Hoovie though because he does exactly what I would do given unlimited funds.

Yeah there are so many of his rides I would own.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    I really want an M2 Comp, but 446 hp is a nice consolation prize. Too bad it's at EAG, as the price has to be beyond crazy: Dinan M2 .

I also like this BaT oddball.

I really, really, really, REALLY want this car, but I'm sure the price is headed for the stratosphere: 1971 Jensen Interceptor Mk III Think: Budget Aston Martin- only with a big block Chrysler underhood...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I seem to share some of his tastes too, maybe that's why I find him tolerable. That SLS in white is a beauty, and I even like his money pit Azure.
    tjc78 said:

Yeah there are so many of his rides I would own.

At the moment, I’m only subscribed to watchjrgo and 100percentjake. Who else are you recommending I follow?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

HooviesGarage and Car Wizard
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I watch them, and the rest of the Wichita Carfia. Elliot Alvis, and Car wizard.

also Emilia Hartford, Sarah n tuned, and Legit street cars.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    For car repair/flipping content, I watch Hoovie, Car Wizard most of the time, HubNut much of the time, AutoAuctionRebuilds and We Hustle Daily most of the time, East Coast Classics, Big Al's Bike and Auto, maybe a couple others now and then - CarThrottle (UK) can be funny. I also catch up with Kent Bergsma's Mercedessource now and then, as I used to patronize his shop when he still operated as a repair facility. I also watch dashcam channels a bit.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

@breld what are your impressions of the JCW so far? Asking for a friend.

Personally, I really like the new JCW - over the previous S, it has a better sounding exhaust and is a bit more spirited in its acceleration (it’s not night and day, but it’s not like I pushed the S or this one either). The suspension on the S was firm as is, and fortunately the JCW doesn’t feel any harsher. We still need to play around with the suspension settings and see what difference that makes.

Aesthetically, I LOVE the carbon black (oh wait...Enigmatic Black 😉) combined with the red top and mirrors. And the suede-like seats are pretty cool.

Most importantly, my wife is over-the-top pleased with the swap out - it got her the additional features she wanted and then some, and going used makes the whole thing feel okay.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270
    I don’t know if it is LOVE or lust😂. Time will tell
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

Just don’t fool yourself into thinking it is anything more than a 2-seater. A used 5-door GTI is cheaper, quicker, and far more versatile. I’m sure the Mini is more fun and handles better. So, as always, it is a trade-off and depends on your needs.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I will look at a mini again in the spring. We test drove new ones a couple years back and both liked it more than I expected. And now the wife doesn’t care what I get so no worries about it being too small for traveling!

GTI will be on the list too.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    Michaell said:

At the moment, I’m only subscribed to watchjrgo and 100percentjake. Who else are you recommending I follow?

I really like Vice Grip Garage. He cracks me up.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    We have a few Mini Coopers at work and I did get to sit in one that was in our sold lot. Felt comfortable, it as a 4-door and had enough room for my needs. Think it was an "S" model because it seemed a bit bigger but definitely wasn't a Clubman. We did have to move one earlier in the year but a co-worker refused to let me drive it even though I said it was on my short list for a future purchase. (Some of my co-workers are older retirees with a bad attitude!). So, I've never driven one of the newer ones though I did drive a 2016 unit many years ago but the lady salesperson kept me on a tight leash and we stayed on a prescribed short course. I really want to get in one and get it on a variety of different roads just to see how it handles and see how rough they really do ride.
    Maybe one day soon, I'll get the chance. Heck, I finally got to drive a Tesla couple weeks back so I'm sure in time, I'll get into a Mini Cooper.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Covid test drives are easier. They usually send you off by yourself!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Was going through my note in my cell phone earlier and found a post about my mileage last 12/3/19, my first day of work at Enterprise. It showed 62,750. This week, 12/3/20, my mileage will be about 65,500. If this is correct, and have every reason to believe it is, that'll be 2750 miles for this past year...I've never driven any of my vehicles that low mileage yet! Of course between switching jobs and being on furlough those 86 days, it's obviously true mileage and so much less than the 13K I put on ever since I bought the Golf new on 12/12/14. I'll be interested to see how our insurance company incorporates this when we get our new bill come February 3rd. I'll probably call my agent and let her know how little I in fact did drive last year as I had put down under 7500 when they asked last January. Hopefully, they'll lower our bill a lot.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2020
    @breld - thanks! Very helpful.

@qbrozen - your point is well taken and the size is definitely of concern. I just want to make sure if I'm shopping that I consider everything. It isn't looking like I'll need considerably more backseat space than a Cooper 2 door has, though - my little one's car seat fits just fine and he has plenty of space. A GTI is still top of list.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Because the YT income allows him to absorb those costs....more about entertainment now.
    Hoover makes no bones about his objectives. He knows his money will be made on YT content, not fixing and flipping cars for a profit. I appreciate the honesty, although it does get flaky at times (i.e. burying a LeBaron).

Even the Flying Wheels guy says the used market has tanked. And, that’s how he makes his living. He’s dumped all of his high buck stuff.

I wonder if that will hurt DiMuro’s “Cars and Bids” site?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    The only place the used car market could go is down after spending 6+ months on the upswing. Carvana and Vroom must be on the verge of taking an absolute bath on all of the cars they overpaid on.
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

Just don’t fool yourself into thinking it is anything more than a 2-seater. A used 5-door GTI is cheaper, quicker, and far more versatile. I’m sure the Mini is more fun and handles better. So, as always, it is a trade-off and depends on your needs.
    100% true and well put.

Back when we lived further from work and were doing more running around with the kids, we were putting 20-25k miles a year on our cars...the GTI was far more comfortable and versatile.

Moving closer to our work and kids getting older are more self sufficient, along with the current COVID restrictions (some of which I think are here to stay), something like the MINI (and Supra for that matter) makes a lot more sense for us.

@28firefighter - I would definitely take a look at the Clubman. IMO, that combines the character of a MINI with the increased usefulness of the GTI. Can be had with AWD and a stick, and are really good used car buys. Heck, go for the current JCW and I think you get upwards of 300 hp?

Also good feedback - thanks!
    We looked at the bigger one (countryman? With the normal hatch) but liked the 4 door hardtop better. Just as convenient but nicer driving.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

We looked at the bigger one (countryman? With the normal hatch) but liked the 4 door hardtop better. Just as convenient but nicer driving.

The wife and I saw a Clubman yesterday. I told her it was a MINI. She said it didn't look very mini since it looked almost as big as a Forester that was sitting along the road. (She only knew it was a Forester because she had 3 of them).

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

So Alexandria VW seems to have a few extremely low mile certified 2019 GTIs (less than 1000 miles). All of them appear to have come from the now-defunct VW of Union and were sold at auction back in October. Wondering if the dealer dissolved and these cars were punched and then sold at auction as part of the dissolution proceedings...
    edited November 2020
    Speaking of Hoovie, I had my first Freddie's experience today. It was pretty good for what it is. The place reminds me of Culver's. I thought the shoestring fries were over-salted, but the steak burger was good.
    stickguy said:

The gen I Countryman (like my daughters) can be a bit rough riding - the new iterations of the MINI line are much more comfortable, yet still retains some of those sharp handling traits that we enthusiasts love.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Sounds like a good way to get a GTI. Depending on the price of course!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078

So Alexandria VW seems to have a few extremely low mile certified 2019 GTIs (less than 1000 miles). All of them appear to have come from the now-defunct VW of Union and were sold at auction back in October. Wondering if the dealer dissolved and these cars were punched and then sold at auction as part of the dissolution proceedings...

The blue one with the plaid seats looks appealing. I dunno what the equipment differences are between S and SE trims though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:
    That's exactly the one that caught my eye.
    Leather and moonroof and I think power seat are the big ones.

stickguy said:

Leather and moonroof and I think power seat are the big ones.

Not always - the one @breld sold to @kyfdx was an SE, but it had the plaid seats (at least, I'm pretty sure that was the case)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited November 2020
    Correct. I believe it may have been a one year thing for the 2018 model year, where they made leather an option on the SE. That was the entire reason I moved quickly to buy that one off Carvana - SE, plaid, manual.

The SE also gets you the lighting package, which dresses up the headlights nicely.

edited November 2020
    The options have varied over time. Generally the SE gets you a sunroof, keyless start, LED headlights, and leather (unless 2018 model year). There is also an SE experience package for 2018 and 2019 that adds Fender Audio and Dynamic Chassis Control. For 2020, that SE Experience Package went away in favor of an SE Autobahn Experience which was much more expensive and added both the audio and DCC plus a bunch of other stuff.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716

If they went through the auction, I can almost guarantee the warranty clock was started. It's possible the dealership had to punch them to get an incentive from VW, once the lease programs ended.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    Andres3 needs a gray striped shirt to got with that red car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    kyfdx said:

If they went through the auction, I can almost guarantee the warranty clock was started. It's possible the dealership had to punch them to get an incentive from VW, once the lease programs ended.
    Yup - though certified, so practically 6 years/72k miles left on the warranty.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,966
    2018,19 had great warranties. VW adds an additional 12 mo/12k mi if a CPO which effectively makes it 7/84 from first purchase date.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

andres3 said:

OK, gave the S4 a wash n' wax with Costco's Meguiar's Wash n' Wax combo wash soap. Just used a tiny bit of elbow grease on the wheels, needs more work and less laziness.

Looking good if I do say so myself, but I'm a mediocre car detailer/washer. There's some luggage scuffing/scratching on the rear bumper, and a small very thin light "white" scratch on the left rear quarter panel, a couple small touched up with Misano Red paint chips on the hood, and the car is otherwise in great shape. Oh, and the engine bay was detailed by the dealership, which was a nice touch.

Looks very nice. Enjoy

I’ve had great results with 3M perfect it 3 stage polishing with their pads for a random orbital. Then top off with a ceramic coating.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    @qbrozen I meant "done" in terms of moving on to the next car as opposed to finished with the repairs! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    kyfdx said:

They weren’t titled until October, so you’re only being shorted a month and a bit on the warranty clock.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Even with the low miles and near-new warranty, it is still nearly 2 MY old. I'd expect a bit more discount than they're advertising - IIRC the MSRP on the example @stickguy linked to was about $34-$35k and average discounts on them new were 4-5k. I'd expect pricing closer to 26-26.5.
    mjfloyd1 said:

I’ve had great results with 3M perfect it 3 stage polishing with their pads for a random orbital. Then top off with a ceramic coating.

That's about two stages more than I care to do! :p

I mistakenly thought the Tundra wouldn't need a clay bar since it was new. I realized I was wrong as I was rubbing off the residue from the Zaino sealant. I was out of clay bars, bought another set, and have yet to get around to actually giving it a clay bar treatment!
    I have relatives in NoVa, so if they want to know that blue one down to $24,995 I might need to buy early! Not that far from me. I love the cloth seats, but will take the leather to get the other goodies.

It is really not that bad with a random orbital. I did it on my wife’s old MB GL350 that had a lot of surface area
    I clay occasionally. Probably should do it more. beyond that the most ambitious I get is using cleaner/wax. Wax on, wipe off. I think it makes the car come out looking good, shines nice, water beads off, and paint nice and smooth!