Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Sounds like DC had to buy one back from a dissatisfied owner.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Dave, there are various makes and models in this ad, some going back to 1995. This is typical car dealer B/S, and does nothing to raise a level of trust. Car dealers always seem to amaze me by living up to the reputation. These are supposed to be executive, company and leased autos. But factories don't do this, leasing companies and others pursue these endeavors.

Bookitty
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    Sounds like the Lemon law to me!
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    It must be a new 5star dc gimmic.
    funny though i have not seen many 2000's come back on the private or retail inventory here in eastern mass.
    drive on,
    slr9589
  • chiefdoc2chiefdoc2 Member Posts: 18
    Stick,
    Good looking top and rug. Are the gunnel (sp) covers hard plastic (fiberglass)? Cannot tell from the pics. And the rug? It is nylon, yes? What did these two items cost you? I have an 01 Quad 4x4, 4.7, lsd, 16in, bronze. Do either of these items come in any other colors?

Thanx
    Ron
    Killeen, TX
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Earl, Here are the part numbers you requested.
    53032389ac filler cap
    53032126aa baffle.
    This should work for you as I presented these part #s to my dealers parts dept, they ordered and installed them this week. Hope this helps. Nick
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    For those who are truck savvy they will notice that these QC's are close to full time 4wd even when they are in the 2wd position. The Qc's front axle has no lock in or out hubs and if you have ever tried to spin the front shaft while the tires are on the ground you will notice that you can't!
    Both axle front shafts and the front drive shafts are locked together and spin at all times. The only item that is not fully engaged is the transfercase. The transfer case chain spins around both front and rear shafts and the front shaft is given driving power when the lever is moved to the 4x position. So the difference between awd and selectable 4wd is minimal. I would opt for the selectable 4wd unless you wife or someone else will be driving the rig and doesn't quite understand when to move the lever.
    The part time 4wd should save some mpg as well as add longevity to the entire drive line. It would be nice if someone came up with a quality part time hub conversion for these to save on wear and possible some milage .
    Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to spend $23-24K on a truck probably shouldnt whine about milage I guess.
    I hope this helps
    I now have over 16000 mile on my QC and all is well. My milege is around 17.5-18 on the hwy.
    I am just starting to experience the sludge problem that has been discussed and will try to have it fixed ASAP.
    As a traveling sales person I just love the added room and comfort of my QC. The only draw back is that I always seem to be hauling more poeple that I used to in my old Ranger!
    This thing is FUN!
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Ron, thanks for the compliment. In answer to your question, you were wondering about the box rail covers? They are a plastic with diamond tread pattern. They are manufactured by Bushwacker out in Calif. Run about 135.00 for all 3 pieces. They were about the only ones available for the QC back in June. The bedrug is from Pace Edwards and is a nylon material. Closed foam cell, water, gas and oil proof. Gray color only. The bottom has ribs to line up with the box floor so it is a flat smooth servics. Easily removed for cleaning. Cost about 350.00. Mine doesn't get much hard use, so I don't know how it will hold up. Check local area for dealer, if you don't have any luck let me know. Roll top is aluminum with black vinyl cover over that. black only. Sorry for long post, Nick.
  • 96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    I have a thought on the oil fill tube sludge problem. I believe the problem is due to the fact that the oil fill tube is plastic and placed in front of the engine. The condensation is not "burned off" as it would be in most engines with oil fill caps on top of the rocker cover. The plastic insulates the tube and with all the air blown over the fill tube from the fan, it stays pretty cool, especially in the cool months. The large diameter of the tube contributes to the problem by allowing a large amount of engine crancase gasses to accumulate there and combine with the condensation, causing the sludge. I went so far as to remove the drivers side rocker cover and found absolutly NO sludge there. Really put my mind at ease!
    Any thoughts?
    By the way check out www.smokindakota.com
  • blakdakblakdak Member Posts: 19
    Nick,

Thanks for the part numbers.

Earl
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    earl1z19 Are you SURE that Dodge has abandond the autolocking front axle? (Vacuum/mechanical)
    Did you jack up one front wheel and actually turn it by hand to see if the front driveshaft turns?

The choice on the Dakota/Durango is FULL TIME 4x4 or Shift-on-the-fly 4X4....(NOT AWD which is a different system altogehter usually involving viscous couplings)

I have to echo the other posts here about the FULL TIME 4x4 The FT4X4 (as found in the dakota/durango) is simply an open differential in the xfer case. It reduces MPG, wears out tires VERY fast and will wear drivetrain components too. There are better things to spend my $$ on than a xfer case that wears out my tires faster than normal.
  • bncbnc Member Posts: 21
    Just as a piece of info. I have a 01' quad with the full time xfer case. My neighbor has the 00' with the part time. Trucks are virtually the same, engine, trans,tires,gear ratio etc, We also live in the same area 5300' altitude, etc etc.
    The milage on my truck is very closeto his at this point 1 mpg less approx. Mine has 1700 miles on it and it is not yet broken in.Cant remember what his is but it is probably well broken in by now. We both drive mostly city and it seems we have similar driving styles, "heavy footed" at times.
    All in all , the mielage seems to be a moot point.Tthe tire wear has yet to be determined but there are many factors that have an effect on tire wear, Pressure, driving style and rotation to name the most common. Without reading the other posts, I would have to disagree with your earlier post about increased wear on the tires and the gas milage.
    Time will tell of course but this is my opinion so far
    Brett, what Bruce (bpeebles) is saying, is not anecdotal, but a hard proven fact. The excessive wear is caused by "scuffing" a natural phenomenon of most AWD and/or full time 4WD. The exception, is the Jeep Quadratrac, which probably works better than any others I have seen. It is simply, "the nature of the beast" and there is nothing to be done about it other than conversion. Been there, done that! Another note of interest, is that anything bpeebles relates is usually well thought out, documented and is addressed in the BOB. He is one of my personal heroes.

Bookitty
  • bncbnc Member Posts: 21
    Bruce and Boo. Not meaning to challange an opinion, I have read most all of both of your posts and find them very informative and well written.They have provided much insight for me and re-enforced my decision to purchase the quad.I am simply adding my own experiences. I dont disagree that AWD and Full time 4 wheel drive is a can be a contributing factor to increased tire wear. I also have had both and done the conversion for a variety of reasons. Many of these were older type vehicles. I wanted to also add my input to anyone that is attempting to make a choice. Tire wear is/was a concern of mine when I purchased the full time version. But the broad statement taken as it is stated can be misleading. If I were to be making the decision, I would be looking for examples and comparisons. 20k avg for a set of tires vs 30k avg etc. or is it 5k vs 20k?
    I am just trying to point out that driving style, terrain, etc can also be a heavy contributor to increased tire wear. I am notoriously hard on tires due to my driving style and the roads that I frequently travel. I guess maybe the word that I am stuck onin bpeebles post is VERY in bold without the particulars. My .02
    Regards,
    Brett
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I have an '01 QC SLT Plus, 4.7 V8, 4x2, T&H group, auto.tranny with 2500 miles. (15.8 mpg - city).

Thus far, I have not noticed any slime, yellow or otherwise. (The weather along the Gulf Coast has been in 20s ~ 40s - no snow).

Was this problem fixed by Dodge in time for the 2001 models? If not, will the dealer fix it under warranty if I request it; OR, will they send out a "recall" notice about it?

Anybody got any info. on bumper-grille inserts? I've found a few on the net, but they are all shiny aluminum. I'm looking for black to blend in better.

THANKS,
    Gator72
  • pirat5pirat5 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everybody!
    I'm not supposed to be here because I have club cab, but I have some thinks I would like to share with you. I have 2000 4.7l,4X4, auto with 20K miles on it. Gas mileage never got better than 16miles/gal. I have cab and always some weight on the back. Pretty happy so far. Last winter I noticed that foaming and moisture in oil filling tube. I called the dealer, of course it's normal. This winter besides that there is also brown, rusty sludge on the walls and cap. I tried my dealer again, not to worry it's normal. After calling few other dealers around, I decided to call Chrysler. All the sudden there is a problem, and they have a kit to fix it. As you already know the cap and baffle. If your dealer pretends, he doesn't know what you talking about tell him to go on his computer to TSB and go to post#0900100A, this should open his eyes. Other posts worth attention are #0900999 (ticking noise) and 0802200A (camshaft position sensor). I was trying to fix ticking noise since I bought the truck, nobody at service could hear it, as always. Never found any noise from camshaft. Maybe changing cap and baffle will help, but other thing worth consideration is switching into synthetic oil. I heart that regular oils can absorb some moisture and this will change their characteristics. Synthetic supposedly repeals all moisture. I was always skeptical about synthetic oil and proffered frequent oil changes, but maybe it's time to change. Did anybody changed air filter with K&N. If so, have you noticed any improvement in gas mileage and power, also where did you buy it?. Last thing. I broke one of the fog lights. Dealer wants almost $100. I thing this is ridiculous, for such a piece of... Did anybody get them after market or decent brand that fits opening in the bumper. Thanks for attention. Good luck with your trucks!
  • pete48pete48 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 loaded. Ordered Oct,12/00 - Delivered Oct,30/00.
    This is my first post. I have read previous post extensively for the past year, and decided to buy my Quad. Thanks for all the info.

The problem that I am experiencing is a very high pitch noise (sounds like a dry bearing) from the transfer case when engaged in 4x4.
    When you disengage the 4x4 the noise is gone.

I have been to the dealer and test drove another Quad with the Dealer Service Manager. Guest what, no noise, not a sound when engaged in 4x4.
    We made an appointment to have this checked, they had the truck a full day.

My wife picked up the truck and they told her that they could not find a problem at this time

My question is; "Is anybody else experiencing the same noise?"

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
    Sorry for such a long post
    Pete
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Catz MSC's (3.5" dia.) fit the hole in the facia but its not that simple. These have the standard bracket that works fine for external mounting. Don't know if there would be a way to adapt this to the Mopar mounting gear but if its not compatible, you've got some work to do. You have to provide a mounting surface that is setback and properly angled so these after market lights fit the hole and illuminate road rather than "blind" oncoming traffic. BTW, the Catz MSC's are 55W and yellow, very intense.
  • scottieeckscottieeck Member Posts: 69
    bookitty and bruce, you guys are depressing me! i bought my truck off the lot with all the things i wanted and some things i didn't(ft/4wd). It's bad enough that my mileage is lurking at about 12 mpg (i HAVE been letting it run to warm up a little long in the morning), but now i find out that i'll have to start saving my allowance and paper route money for tires! woe is me!
    scottie
    (gator72)
    There have been 2 TSBs about the Oil-Water emulsion in the oil-filler cap.
    (pete48)
    I hear it too... when in 4X4LOCK, the front drive shaft, differential and axles are engaged and about 100 pounds of additional steel is churning. Consider it normal.

As you use the 4X4LOCK setting more often, the gears will tend to "seat in" a bit and quiet down.
    I have over 200 miles on my Dakota in the 4X4LOCK setting and the sound has become much less.

You are locking into 4X4 when NOT on pavement... right? (Bad things can happen)
  • pete48pete48 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for reply bpeebles, I am locking it into 4x4 HI on pavement under 55 MPH as stated in the owners manual.

What bad things???
    The concern was the fact that we drove another Dakota and the transfer case made no noise at all.

Question, is every transfer case different in sound that it makes.

Thanks
    I too have broken both lenz's on the fog lights and for $100 each I will continue to drive with them cracked.
    I have also noticed a noisy power steering pump. It was low on fluid and I filled it to the proper level but it does still whine when it is cold. Any one else have the same experience?
    I too would like to know if the k&N filter swap is worht the investment. Has anyone completed this with good results? I would be willing to take donations and make the swap and report all my findings if anyone is interested! ( LOL)
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I've been reading these boards for a while now and narrowing down my selection. My question:

What is, aside from fuel economy, the BIGGEST design-related flaw you have found with your truck? i.e: the seats are uncomfortable, not enough ground clearance, bed too small etc etc... Tell me all!
    Scott, do not become depressed. Remember, these comments are opinions. While it is documented that
    full time 4WD uses more fuel and weras tires. If you are driving 50,000+ per year as I did for many
    years the difference would be dramatic. Enjoy your truck.

Pete, Bruce (bpeebles) probably was referring to engagaing 4WD on "dry" pavement, which is very risky. Engage only in conditions that do not provide good traction (snow, extremely wet, mud, off road, etc.)

Bookitty
  • kjcdr1kjcdr1 Member Posts: 26
    This my first post, but wanted to thank the many individuals who provided good info to various Dodge pickup forums. Have been truck shopping for 2 to 3 weeks with choices narrowed to Toyota or Dodge Dakota Q/C. The Dakota seemed to fit my needs (desires) best. Took several days and read the forums thoroughly so I already know there may be a few problems to look for, but the many owners who expressed love for their Dakotas solidified my choice and greatly assisted with the choice of options.

A well equipped Mitsubishi Montero 4 x 4, with which I have been very happy, has been my transport around central PA for the past 10 years. If the new Dakota treats me as well, I will be a happy camper (figure of speech only).

The Dakota on order is a Q/C 4x4, 4.7L V8, Auto, Limit Slip Diff, 4 wheel anti-lock, defrost rear window, deluxe convenience, H/D service group, power convenience group, AM/FM with CD, skid plates, Sport Plus group, trailer tow, dressed in silver metallic. Probably more goodies than I need, but expect to drive this one for 10 years too.

Have picked up the forum info that will allow me to trace the build and shipment times.

Sorry for the long first post. I'll keep reading regularly, and again, thanks for the good info.

Ken J
    Ken, have you signed up for the Farm Bureau $500.00 discount for Dodge trucks? If not, I will be happy to tell you about it and how it is done. Good luck with your Dakota Quad cab. It sounds like a beautiful truck, and you will love it.

Bookitty
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    If you've read the postings for any length of time, you have probably seen that the biggest complaint/question/worry is the design and/or position of the oil fill tube allowing for condensation build-up. Another common "gripe" is the design/positioning of the oil filter and skid plates which make for messy oil changes. But knowing about these subjects ahead of time, it won't be a shock the first time you change your oil.
    My own personal pet peeves about the truck? I have 2. First, I wish they had kept the lever for 4x4 rather than changing to a switch, my personal preference only, not backed up by any statistics on reliability of either system. Second, the low power on the fog lights, and the fact that they have a proprietary bulb and can't be upgraded w/o replacing the whole light [non-permissible content removed].
    Keep in mind that these notes do not indicate I am unhappy with the truck. I think overall it is a great design and would buy it again without hesitation. Just remember all cars are compromises. Manufacturers cannot build a vehicle that is perfect for every person or situation, I think the QC comes very close to doing all that most of us need, and more
  • kjcdr1kjcdr1 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info on Farm Bureau. I had read about it here, but the local dealer was offering it as well as the Dodge $1000 rebate. These were both applied after adding $100 to the invoice which is what the price to me was based on. Have noted the concerns of other buyers about having their trucks delivered before the Dodge rebate is withdrawn. This dealer is guaranteeing the price as ordered regardless of what Dodge does. The destination fee and advertising fee are included in the invoice price, but it appears from my reading on these forums that those are seldom if ever removed or reduced. I consider this to be a fair deal. Thanks for the offer of information.
    Ken
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    Sylvania and GE both make a 881 bulb that fits the fog lights just fine and is a little higher wattage (10 watts, I think) so if you don't want to buy the bulb from Dodge, you can do what I've been doing all along. I just hate the idea of being told that I HAVE to use anything.
  • mrquadmrquad Member Posts: 4
    Hello everybody, This is my 1st post. Just have to say I have been browsing this forum for almost a year & it is very informative. Anyway I have a 2000 quad 4.7/auto 4x4 with most of the goodies. I have added a flowmaster exhast system (sounds awsome)& a rhino spray in liner. I ordered this truck & took delivery in May 2000. Since then I have put 12,000 miles on it. It tows my ski boat 60 miles round trip to the lake one to two times a week (during summer). Has been trouble free until Nov my gas milage droped to 10 to 11 mpg no matter how I drove the thing so i took it to the dealer they put a new oxygen senser on but only improved about 3 mpg. I was getting 13 to 16 mpg pulling my boat now I only get 10 to 14? Go figure. I plan to take back to dealer soon.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    First - I love my truck!

Design improvements - If the truck could fly, it would make my 42 miles commute go even faster, or so the crows tell me. I might even get more looks than I do now. But I'm sure that would come at a price I couldn't afford.

Seriously - the only issue I have is with my 4.7 5spd 3.55 combo. I have the std 215 tires and 1st gear is worthless. During my daily drive to work, I run a 2nd-3rd-5th shift pattern. If I could of had the 3.21 rear end, then I would be using 1st. The only time I need 1st gear is when I pull my pop-up camper.
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    Your flowmaster system, cat-back or just the muffler?
    Their website doesn't list a QC kit. Do you have a Part number?
  • mrquadmrquad Member Posts: 4
    I had my local muffler shop put on a Flowmaster Delta flow single outlet....I did not want two big ol pipes poking out the back so I had them reuse the factory tail pipe and stuck a stainless tip on it. Sounds as good as others around town.
    Muffler & install were only $125 Heck of a deal if you ask me.

Any body have a Z-tube on a 4.7? Is it worth the bucks?
    Daimler Chrysler announced today, a lay off affecting 26,000 jobs (20% of the U.S. workforce). "Everyvun unter ze rank uf enchineer vill take two steps forward." Hope that they get straightened out soon, because there are few Americans involved in the D/C upper echelon.

Bookitty
  • cleleuxcleleux Member Posts: 1
    I will be taking a look at a '99 Dakota Ext cab SLT that's being sold by original owner. It's got the 3.9L V6 with 15K on it. Asking about $16,500. Any suggestions on things in particular to look for when checking it over, besides the standard scrutiny for any used vehicle? Any advice is appreciated.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Member Posts: 60
    I am very close to purchasing a brand new 01 SLT Quad Cab!

The one option that I am having trouble with is the ESOF - Full Time Transfer Case.

I have read several posts regarding MPG and Tire wear, but am still uncertain to what extent these two factors will differ from a part time 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I have read several articles praising all wheel drive (ie the new silverado C3). this just adds to my confusion. Is the all wheel drive offered in the Quad Cab a state of the art design, like the C3? Or is it something that should be avoided.

I like the idea of not having to choose the perfect time to engage the system. I like the fact that it is always ready to help out in an emergency... wet, snow, or dry.

Again I ask for any information regarding THIS specific system, problems associated with THIS system, and general point of views.

As always this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I appreciate any and all help regarding this problem of mine.

FYI, I was looking at the SLT QC, 4x4, 4.7, multi speed tranny, 3.55, anti spin, rear defrost, tire and handling

Thanks again
  • rchrismerrchrismer Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Dodge Quad cab owners. I am due to take delivery of a 4wd Dodge Dakota Quad cab any day now that I ordered several weeks ago. Is it too late to sign up for the $500 discount from Farm bureau? I checked the F.B. web site but that was no help and the local F.B. guy said that I would have to have insurance with them 30 days prior to receiving the truck. How can I get the $500 discount? Thanks in advance for the help.
    I have an '01 QC SLT Plus, 4.7L V-8, 4x2 with ABS and auto. tranny. I've got 2500 miles since purchase in Oct. '00.

Lately, I've noticed a slight bumping noise when turning RIGHT at slow speeds (10~15 mph) while applying brakes. If I don't apply the brakes - there is no noise. Also, there is no noise when turning LEFT while applying the brakes.

The noise is similar to a front end squeak in older vehicles. BUT, it only does it when I apply the brakes while turning RIGHT.

I plan to ask the dealer to look into this at next oil change. Until then, does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be???

THANKS,
    Gator72

PS. To the new reader who was asking - I have no complaints about my QC. As far as I'm concerned there are no "flaws" to complain of (except the noise noted above - may be just a fluke). It's comfortable, great visibility, quality workmanship and loads of power on demand. However, it is NOT a babe-magnet. The only looks it gets is from other guys. I've been stopped in the parking lot a few times with questions like "when did Dodge come out with 4 door Dakotas? and "great looking truck".
    Chris, you have probably read the many posts dedicated to this particular choice of items. Many
    of us prefer part time 4WD for a variety of reasons, while others choose the full time. If you prefer that the vehicle more or less dictates when 4WD becomes engaged, then by all means choose the full time. If you prefer to make the choice yourself, then part time is the right way. It is strictly a matter of choice. Whatever your preference, enjoy your truck. I think that you have already answered your own question.

Bookitty
    Robert, I have never heard of the insurance curtailment for the Farm Bureau Dodge discount. Here are the rules, at least in PA and most other states.

" Dodge Truck Rebates
    The Dodge Truck Bonus Certificates provide the opportunity for members to purchase Dodge Pickup Trucks, Dodge Ram Vans, and Dodge Ram Wagons at a discount of $500. Contact your local Dodge Dealer to make your best deal on an eligible vehicle. Must be a Farm Bureau member for 30 days before taking ownership."

This was cut and pasted from the web site. Talk to your dealer and also to the member benefits person at the local (county) and/or state level.
    The dealer may be able to help you with the 30 day requirement. Good luck.

Bookitty
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    There is a Farm Bureau and there is a Farm Bureau Insurance Company. They aint the same thing. It sounds like you got someone at the insurance company that had no clue about what you wanted, but tried to sell you a policy anyway. That or the local FB operator is also doing the insurance bit and is exploiting the job for personal gain.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    AWD is different than Fulltime 4WD. AWD in many imports use a torsen sensor, that is, it is a smart system that can sense what wheels are losing traction and will redirect most of the torque to the wheels with traction. The Jeep QuadraTrac system is also sophisticated enough to function as a true AWD. The Dakota Fulltime 4WD is dumb, that is, all wheels are engaged all the time, and unless you get LSD, you really only have 2WD (one wheel in front and one in the rear) as torque will be directed to the wheel with the least resistance - the one that slips. With LSD, the breakaway torque between the wheel that slips and the wheel that grips at the rear axle is only about 100lb/ft - realistically not all that much, but it helps. Of course with part time 4wd, you decide when the front diff. (open) is engaged - a much better system - at least more effiecient.
  • wantaquadwantaquad Member Posts: 11
    I too have this noise, but I believe that it's comming from the rear....only on rights and up a driveway for me. I have taken the truck to the dealer and they spend about 3 days trying to find the noise. Their conclusion was that it's the rear end axle play and it's normal. I too have a '01 SLT quad with LSD......

Anyone else have this problem/issue/noise?
  • egaquamanegaquaman Member Posts: 19
    I have had my QC SLT 4.7 5 sp 3.55 LSD, ETC. ETC.
    for only a month but have already put 2500 miles on it. Love it, but...no tow hooks, no tailgate lock. Had to install a pop lock (and chose to install a pace edwards cover). Any feedback on where I can get tow hooks???
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    i have a 01q/c4x2 with about 2600miles 4.7 auto with ltd slip,t&h pkg 4wheel abs etc i also have front end noise seems to occur while making left or right turns on off of even pavement onto a incline ro driveway, also while parking turning sharply. the noise is like a popping or clunk sound sounds like ball joints or worn cvc's on a front wheel drive only not as bad. i have tried spraying silcone spray on ball joints and also steering shaft but noise still occurs. pls post if your dealer finds something. also take good look at your rear axle YOU'LL PROBERLY NOTICE ON MOST Q/C'S there offset to the right about 1/2-3/4 in i've not been able to get a straight answer on this yet either...
  • mtrogstadmtrogstad Member Posts: 21
    I finally ordered my Quad last Tuesday. Got everything I wanted. Since you guys answered my questions about options, I thought you could also answer some about accessories for my new toy.

1. I was probably going to go for a spray in liner. Any suggestions for brands?

2. I am also looking at getting a roll& lock cover. Is the Pace Edwards the best for the money? Is install something that should be left for a progessional? Do they rattle when you are driving? Also, is it difficult to install a lock on the tailgate?

3. What are your opinions on the bug deflectors available for the Quad? Is the protection they provide, really worth the money. Personally, I don't think they look very good on the Dakota with the broken hood-line.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know a delivery checklist has been posted before, but I can't find it. Could someone please repost the info?

PS: egaquaman - I asked my dealer about towhooks when I ordered my truck. Supposedly he checked and I could get them installed after delivery for a couple hundred bucks. I didn't really ask him details since I won't be getting my truck until the first week in March. When I find out if he knew what he was talking about I will post it.
    Thanks Wantaquad and Slickwilliedj for the info.

Within the next week or so, I'll head to the dealer for the 1st "free" oil change and ask them to look into the problem.

Mine makes that "clunking" sound when making slow right turns - while applying the brakes. If I don't apply the brakes, there is NO noise at all. I have NOT noticed any noise on left turns.

The noise in mine is definitely coming from the front end; not the rear.

Slickwilliedj's description of the noise is very accurate. It sounds like old ball joints or worn cvc's on a front wheel drive.

Bottom Line: I don't believe it is anything major. Either something is loose; or, this is "normal" for QC's.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, OR if you've had it FIXED - please post it for the rest of us.

Thanks,

GATOR72
  • mk39mk39 Member Posts: 18
    I need to transport 4 children under age 12 and need a truck for hauling purposes. Want to order a Quad Cab but was told by dealer that the option for passenger-side airbag deactivation switch is not available on the Quad - even though it is standard on the other Dakotas. Anyone know of a different source for the switch?
This discussion has been closed.