Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• cowtownaggiecowtownaggie Member Posts: 39
    Resqman,

The K&N is just the drop in filter (Don't remember the K&N model number right now).

No other mods to the air intake system. I still have the square "black box" on top of the engine.

I got the K&N at an Autozone here in Ft. Worth - about $48.00 + tax or around there. I am very happy with the filter so far. I may remove the "black box" later, but for now it works for me.

PDS
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Guess this is THE PLACE now! Gone for about a month to take care of business, and still just 1900 miles on the Quad... Back to waiting for P&A stuff and installing as time allows.

Anxiously waiting arrival of a Borla cat-back "package" (includes K&N for the "front end")... Will be doing the install on that myself.

Question: Anyone install the Mopar or aftermarket roof racks? Any experiences/suggestions to pass on?

Still enthralled with my Quad despite the mileage. The Fold-a-Cover works great... The Westin step bars and light bar look good (Pia's are coming for the light bar)... The engine has broken in nicely as well.

Through researching the exhaust systems, I understand that the engine computer requires about 100-200 miles to "adapt" to a free-flow intake/exhaust setup... My interpretation is that it'll run lean for a period of time... Probably dump some upper cylinder lube in during the "adaptation period," watch temp and mileage carefully and see what happens!

Good to see some familiar "old" handles on this forum!
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    If you want great reviews on your Quad, take it camping. We just returned from our 3rd camping trip with the Quad & pop-up camper, and every trip I have families commenting on what a great truck for the family.
    (a resent conversation with a family camping in a 5th wheel trailer pulled by a f-superduty)
    Dad - "Nice truck & it's has a V-8"
    Kids - "that truck has more room then ours"
    Wife - "Honey I would drive that"
    My Wife - "I like that 5th wheel trailer better than our pop-camper"
    Me - "We can still afford to eat and own a pop-up"
    My Kids - "Dad... push me on the swing pleaseeeeee"
    (the saga continues)
  • rassom1rassom1 Member Posts: 35
    Dailmer Chrysler has just announced new rebates.
    Specifically the Dodge Dakota Rebates now include the 00 Quad Cab.
    They are as follows:
    Reg Cab $2000
    Club Cab $1000
    Quad Cab $750

They are effective till 10/2/00.

This is only on the 00 Dodge Dakotas.

The 01 have $500 on the regular and club cab only.

See the DaimlerChrysler site for details.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Glad to see your post, and am happy to see that you are back among us. Now, all we have to do is to find Andy Jordan. I hope he wasn't eaten by a sled dog.

Bookitty
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    well, just moved from mississippi to virginia. boy was that fun , NOT!! anyway the trip was great and it took over 1000 miles and 18 hours pulling 5000lb boat and 600lbs of me and gear. i averaged 9mpg and the rearend gears had to be replaced when i got here fyi the rear end has to be changed to synthetic if your doing alot of towing, even if you have the tow package, my dealer in mississippi said the tow package includes the synthetic rear lube, NOT!!! but my new dodge dealer covered it with a smile. i now have 16000miles on my quad, 4.7, auto, new lsd, tow package and all the goodies. sorry been gone so long its hard to have all your stuff packed for almost a month. hope all is well with everyone and welcome to all the new people.

p.s. i know double posting is frowned on but since the rear end thing happened just wanted to notify everyone, so i am posting in quad and maintenance.

robert
  • steady73steady73 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 4x4 two weeks ago and I have over 500 miles on it. I am averaging about 13-14 mpg, is this normal, I know the engine needs to break in but I was hoping for a little better.
  • kmennekmenne Member Posts: 15
    I have a 4x4 QC w/ 5.9 and auto trans.
    I have not been able to get better than 14 mpg, and feel pretty good about that, I have installed a K&N filtercharger, and am getting ready to change the oil over to Mobil 1 10w30. I will also be adding a cover of some sort. I hope to get a little better with these upgrades. What engine / trans do you have ??
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I recently posted my miles per gal in another forum but I have a Quad with the 4.7L, 5sp, 3.55 rear, 4x4, T&H package (tires @ 40 psi), soft tonneau, usually drive 16 miles per day, just passed the 3,000 mile mark, and have changed oil/filter (still using regular oil). 80% of the time I'm getting 15.5 mpg. On a 200 mile trip to Baltimore and back I got 17.9 and my lowest has been 15.3 mpg. Oh ya, both of my sons (17 & 20) say I drive too slow.
  • dutyfreedutyfree Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a '00 QC, Amber Fire Sport Plus, 4X4, 4.7L, auto, LSD, and other goodies. I am wondering if anyone has installed the Mopar folding tonneau cover offered by DC. If so, are you satisfied? Do you have any leakage problems?
  • chachingmanchachingman Member Posts: 17
    Hey folks, sorry I haven't been on the last few days, I got 12 pallets of sod I'm putting in the yard (whew!). Now to tie up a few loose ends

My soon to arrive quad (early next week at the latest) is a 2001 flame red 4x2. I got a 4.7/5-speed with the sport plus group, T&H, LSD, Overhead Conv. package and a sliding read window for just a shade over 21,500. I bought from Jasper just because I liked the way they do business. All vehicles have a price marked on them and it's invoice +$195. It's also a very relaxed no pressure atmosphere. I have not had an overall great purchasing experience, but that is mostly due to DC bumping my order for a 2000 and making me a 2001 instead (orig order 4-27). I also own a '96 neon which I bought from Palmer Dodge about 4 years ago. No complaints about Palmer from me, just decided to try something different this time.

As far as tracking goes, I called the 1-800 number I found on the DC web page, and they kept me up to date on the status of the truck. When he it shipped, the rep was able to give me a railcar number, and told me the railroad it was shipped on. Being that I'm a bit of a railroad buff, I knew that if I went to the railroad's home page I could track the railcar. I was able to keep track of it throughout the day on Monday and watched it come down thru Tennessee and into Georgia. Isn't technology wonderful!

Chachingman (Chris)
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    chachingman - Can you give me the location of Jasper Dodge?
    Another good dealer with no hassle pressure is Peachtree Dodge. I contacted them through the internet and got a better price than all the other metro atlanta dealers I checked with. MSRP was 29,640 and I purchased my truck for 26,701. Steve
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    With regret, I'll miss this board. My QC now belongs to someone else. The Quad was purchased with the intent of having it stay "garaged" while the wife and I commuted in her old Avenger. We drive about 4000 miles a month between commuting and weekend driving....After much consideration, I suggested that she purchase her "dream" car, a 2000 GT Mustang. In all our years together, she'd always taken a back seat to our (my) vehicle purchases, and ended up driving whatever was "leftover.." Enough whimpering. So, with both the QC and the new 'stang, guess which vehicle became the new "commuter car?" The Quad, and at only 6 weeks old it had 6850 miles on it. Although gas costs were considerable, the thought of the Quad having 200,000 miles at loan payoff was too much to bear, so I traded her in on a nice little commuter car that will probably rack up 300,000 miles without a problem. Such is life! I only really miss the cupholders and the Infinity stereo so far...(the new little car is just as fast and handles much better...)
    Thanks for all the advice, support, etc., and good luck with all of your trucks!
    -quark
  • waitinforquadwaitinforquad Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 01 qc about 3 weeks ago and after surfing through the site for about an hour, I have a few follow-up questions.

1. Has anyone actually taken delivery of their 01 qc?
    2. How long should I expect to wait for mine?
    3. Is the $400 over invoice price I got fair?
    4. Any suggestions for dealer accessories
    5. Should I still look in to the Farm Bureau discount
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Thanks, guys, for the info.
  • victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    I ordered my Quad in early June. The veh was supposed to be shipped 7-27, but as of yesterday was still sitting at the factory waiting to get on the train. My dealer said I should be able to take delivery about 12 days after the truck leaves the plant.

I am paying $500 over invoice.

I plan on getting the mopar rear cargo tray. It sits in the back seat area. Most other accessories will be aftermarket.

The farmb bureau discount ended 7-31 according to the dodge website, but someone posted earlier that the discount was being renewed according to their farm bureau newsletter. Regardless, you have to have been a member for over 30 days before you take delivery of your truck to get the discount. So if you haven't done it yet, it may be too late.
  • gallen1586gallen1586 Member Posts: 33
    Dutyfree,
    I installed the cover on my quad in Feb. I am very
    satisfied with the cover, no leaks. I like the way
    it folds out of the way to haul tall items and the
    locking features of the cover.
  • dutyfreedutyfree Member Posts: 2
    gallen1586,

Thanks for the info. I was trying to decide between this cover and an Aerocover. I need to have the easy fold-up or removal option but don't want leaks. I had a roll-up tonneau on another truck but it leaked and debris would collect in the storage housing. Your comments have me leaning towards the Mopar tonneau.
  • ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    I read somewhere back in the messages that the new 2001's that are two-tone are going to have the front facia painted the same color as the lower paint. Does anybody know if this has been confirmed??? I think that Patriot Blue over silver is a real sharp color scheme, but I think the grey plastic molding is stupid.
    Well, I picked up my truck tonight, I'm a full fledged QC owner now. Hot diggety! I'm not sure about the '01 interior yet, gonna need more seat time. One thing that I am sure of is that those 16" wheels rock! I'll post some pic's tomorrow. I can't help much on the invoice, I got mine for 2000 model pricing thanks to DC deciding to make it an '01 instead of an '00 (ordered originally 14 weeks ago today). If anyone is interested, I can give you prices off my sticker.

edwardqc - I didn't see yours, but there was a '01 4x2 patriot blue slt sitting next to mine
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    The material that I have detailing 4x2 Quads shows that the front facia is silver-painted on SLT two-tone trucks. I've not seen one in person, but the literature clearly shows a painted fascia on the paint code page.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    See ya Skip, you'll be missed. Have a 'hunch' you'll be back this way again... ;-)
    I just purchased a 00 QC, 4.7L, sport plus. Which of the following three will give me the best performance gain for the price: air intake system, computer performance chip or exhaust system.

Thanks
  • edwardqcedwardqc Member Posts: 16
    Congratulations, Chris, on your new truck. I was hoping you'd see mine, but as of yesterday, it was still KZ, so no such luck yet. I think they must have ran out of rail cars. Perhaps in a week or so I'll have it. Just wondering, you didn't happen to see a 2001 4x4 did you? I was curious what the T&H package looked like for it.
    chachingman I'd be very interested in seeing the pics of your trucks and the new wheels. If my truck ever gets a rail car assigned, I'm getting my homepage ready, so I can post once I get pictures of my truck.
  • want1badwant1bad Member Posts: 15
    Ok, I'm finally de-lurking after 8 months of sponging off these groups and driving myself insane with desire over the quad. I finally broke
    down and ordered a 2001, which is supposed to ship
    today. Was all excited, until I saw the pictures
    posted in the gallery by ohc_baby.

A WHITE headliner with dark grey dash/door panels?
    I thought i was going to barf. chachingman hinted at the same, so if either of you are reading this,
    could you please tell me that its not as bad as it
    sounds/looks!?!? OTW, I will go back to the dealer and do a search for any 2000's left and make use of the new rebate.

One other question - I'm 6'2", my head sometimes rubs against the reinforced section of the headliner (depending on how straight I sit). Does the 2001 still have the same ridge on in the headliner, or has Dodge moved the ridge or made it smaller? If they fixed this problem, i could find it in me to forgive DC for this nauseating/dizzying interior color scheme.

Thanks so much to everybody who has posted to these groups with such wonderfull information (and consequently made my life miserable with torment!) Soon to be rectified, with either my 2001 order or searching for remaining 2000's.
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    For what its worth, while visiting my local Dodge dealer the other day I noticed these other minor changes with the 01 Quad: RWL tires (255's), No engine badges on the front fenders (V6, V8)
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    Could you elaborate on the holes for the Tow Hooks please? The picture of the '01 in the pic gallery was not detailed enough showing the fascia for me to identify the holes.

Are they more underneath the fasica or more forward? My dealer did not have any '01's on the lot earlier this week.
  • wampuswampus Member Posts: 11
    Chachingman congrats on getting your quad My quad was shipped on the 28th and I am really ready for it to get here in Litte Rock I have been trying to get one since the middle of April when DC told the dealer it was to late to order I am really wondering what the interior looks like compared to the 2000 and whether you got a 4x4 or 4x2 I ordered a 4x2 with 4.7 V8 auto lsd 3.55 just about everything but the radio controls on the steering wheel I'd be interested to hear what yours has along with seeing pictures Wampus
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    want1bad, it's really not as bad as it looks. When I was in the truck, I didn't mind the headliner at all, but I wonder if it's different with the taupe or if all are this same light grey. Honestly, I'm not very impressed by the 2001 with the new dash, door panels, and (yes), the headliner. I like the new T/H wheels and the availability of silver is a big motivator for me. If not in the market for silver, though, I'd find a nice 2000. As a side-note, there are no 2001 black or green 4.7 5-spd LSD with all the power goodies, last I've checked.
  • cyberramcyberram Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at the QC for a couple of months. However, I would like to see some pictures of the infamous interior and the new rims everyone speaks about. I have heard about the picture gallery but I do not know where it is located. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    You'll get much better answers from others in this group than mine, but it looks like you want some simple upgrade stuff that I might can help you with. First (bpeebles will correct me if I'm off here), an engine is simply a pump. Air-fuel in / ignition / power stroke / spent gases out. In order to 'up' today's engines in the performance area, you'll probably be somewhat limited in what you can do to have significant value with your 3 choices. Simply put: If you can get more air-fuel in, get a better-stronger flame front for ignition and move the spent gases out faster - you can up the HP. I'm guessing that's a more expensive and definitely more troublesome proposition than you want to get into judging by your choices.

The intake change would be my (1st) choice as the K-N type of cleaner and cooler air via the move over to the fender well area are added benefits. Plus, I HATE those flex intake hoses that rot away down the road - and you might be removing them with an intake update. You 'might' see a 3-5% or so increase in power due to the cooler air charge, more of it (air) and 'smoothing' of the intake air. Then again, you really need more fuel than the computer (and pump) will probably want to give you at this point. I ran into this same thing on my Porsche 944's. If you get a reworked throttle body, etc. THEN you can probably feel an increase.

The exhaust is debatable. Just make sure it's not too loud, too expensive or warranty voiding. Also at least get the same stainless steel the stocker has for durability. Gains? I've heard both sides of this. Maybe louder is faster, it just doesn't work for me. Some backpressure is desirable with today's engines. My race cars run better in the mid-range area w/o running loud, open exhausts.

The chip is totally weird, as it requires running premium - okay till about a year ago. Gas prices may end their little niche for a while. Remapping (with the chip) usually 'moves' the power band up the rpm curve as well; maybe not a good thing with a truck. Whatever. And they can be finicky. And hard to get rid of. Plus, they have specific chips for variously equipped (re: stock or modified) vehicles that you'd need to plan for in advance.

For of-the-line performance you might just want a higher rear end ratio. For top end (at least on the 4.7/ auto) getting a lower ratio doesn't work. I installed a 3.21 gear set from the Club Cab option book for $1400 and it didn't mesh well with the ratios in the tranny. I did impressive top-end runs a couple of times, but shifting through the gears was really strange. Maybe there is a computer situation in there, I don't know. Anyway, it just didn't work.

I'd just do the air cleaner and maybe a stainless steel, cat-back exhaust. A couple of curb feelers and some fuzzy dice would make a statement too.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I've created a new topic. Head here for the
    war between the compact trucks:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Pickups&f=0&t=2170

Do you think the Dakota is the best thing since
    sliced bread? Tell us why.
    Hi folks, Well I've had my truck for a little better than 24 hours now, and it's great. The wife has put more miles on it than me! I have a few observations and comments to follow.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression about the interior, it's not bad... just different. After looking at the 2000 interior for 3 months, the new interior just felt odd. After the first few drives I was oblivious to the changes. It's all in what you get used to I guess.

I posted a pic of the 16" wheels in the Dakota photos area. They look sharp, I also liked the white outlined Eagles. I'll post some more pics when I get some in the daylight.

edwardqc - haven't seen a '01 4x4 yet

want1bad - my interior is the lighter gray color and the headliner seems to match that really well. I also found it odd that they used a light headliner with the dark interior, but I bet it's the same light grey I've got. I'm not sure if it is any smaller, but the hump is still there in the headliner. It's right between the door posts, or "B" pillars.

resqman - The tow hook holes are pretty much under the fascia, you have to look for them to see them. I'll post more pics soon.

cyberram - to find the pics, just do a topic search (link near the top of this page) for Dakota, you'll see the group.

Well, I got a whole day with the QC tomorrow, wife is working. Hmmmm...wash or ride?

Chris
    Sorry to group the responses/questions, but time constraints make visits to the board less frequent these days... I'll try to keep it short!

HENNE: Regarding synthetic rear-end lube, my experience has been nothing but good with the stuff. I switched from the petro-based stuff to synthetic in my '95 Ram before my first long haul (2,000 mi) with a 5,000-plus pound enclosed trailer in tow... Long days on the road, and tough mountain driving... No rear-end problems at all after 4 such trips. I'm switching to synthetic in the Quad next week, BEFORE I hitch up the trailer.

STEADY73: On mileage... My Quad (4X4/5.9/auto) is averaging between 13.8 and 14.6 depending on type of driving. I'll be looking for a modest economy gain after installing a Borla exhaust/intake "package," though not until the computer adjusts to the new system... Will post on any appreciable gains.

On performance: I'm also expecting modest performance gains with the Borla package ($425)... I'm not so serious about it that I'm going to do "before & after" runs at the local drag strip. But I'll be happy to supply seat-of-the-pants impressions if you wish.

DUTYFREE: I installed the Fold-a-Cover on my Quad about 2 months ago, and have been very pleased with its versatility and performance so far. If you don't mind a black cover, I'd highly recommend it.

QUARK: Sorry to see you go! But probably not alone in hoping that you'll miss the Quad and be back on the board before too long!

FORD BII: Spoke with a fellow who works with the company here in Mich. that's supplying the fascias for the new Quads... My understanding is that they'll be phasing in the color-keyed panels (ala Durango) on all Quad models.

QUESTION (again): I bought the Extend-a-Truck hitch extension for long loads (slick unit that just "plugs in" to the receiver)... But need to finish off the long load capability with a roof rack. Looked at the Mopar offering, and was not terribly impressed. Has anyone installed a rack (Mopar or other)? If so, care to offer impressions/insights???
    I know we have a few people who have taken delivery of their 4x2s, but I am a little concerned because my 4x4 Sport has been sitting at the plant for 10 days and can't seem to make it onto a railcar.

My dealer showed me how to trace my vehicle via Hadley transport and I have noticed that two 4x2s with higher sequence numbers (last six of vin which I also assume starts at 1 with the first vehicle and goes up from there) are in transit, but mine does not show up anywhere. The dealer called DC and said DC didn't provide any details as to why my truck is being delayed, unless my dealer is not telling me the truth. I have called DC myself a couple of times and they have simply told me that the truck is awaiting a railcar.

I am just trying to find a pattern here. Let me know if anyone else is experiencing these delays, Thanks.
  • astaasta Member Posts: 122
    qc2001 (evan) can you post some pics of your pat blue 4x4 when it comes in? I'm going back and forth between the bronze, the new silver (which I have not seen yet) and the pat blue, which I like quite a bit (I've always had dark blue vehicles) I'm curious to see what interior color you got and how it looks with this infamous headliner, if you have the time to post interior pics as well. your specs sound pretty much exactly what I'm going for except the dodge/mopar bedliner - I think I'm going to try the line-x after all the fantatic reviews of that product on the Edmunds board. also I'm very curious as to if D/C changed the bench seat config ala the middle console placement and ease of use, etc.

thanks! your post made me stoked for you and for me when I get a quad!
    qc2001, I've already received my invoice from the dealer, just waiting on the truck. They are processing the paperwork early so I can get the FB rebate. I plan on putting up a webpage with photos, stats and mods that I will do. Here is a quickie page with my invioce information for those who would like to see 2001 invoice prices on the 4x4. With all the options I orderd, the price for my 2001 was only about $200 more than 2000.

http://carrola.home.texas.net/dodge/invoice.html
  • qc2001qc2001 Member Posts: 30
    asta-i will post some pics as soon as i can. i was thinking about it and i hope to have the QC by fri. or sat. morning at the latest. but since i am going camping on sun. it will probably be the week after.

victx-we must think simularly. i am ordering a Pioineer DEH-P47DH cd receiver from crutchfield($255 after delivery and includes the extra items) today, the best price on-line for this item is from marketplace4u.com at 194.99. i am going with crutchfield because i have delt with them before and don't mind paying a little extra for the terriffic cust. serv. i can get from them.
    thanks for the link to your invoice site, i will post the invoice for the slt model as soon as possible. i hope that you recieve a rail car asap. i am hoping for a mobile parking lot to pick mine up by tues. at the latest. i will also post the last six digits of my VIN tommorrow so you can sort out your sequence pattern.

good luck to all, Evan
  • samg42samg42 Member Posts: 10
    I picked up my 01 Quad at noon on thursday. I love it. I have read a few things from the last few days that i will venture a opinion about.
    i don't know why the openings in the bottom of the fascia are being called tow openings. They are more like air scoops to me. I got the impression that they may be to help cool the brakes like I remember being done many years ago. Maybe the 4x4s have tow hooks available for there, but not on the 2wd.
    i love the new interior. Remember, I drive a 00 CC work truck and the new interior is better ergodynamically. Just enough to work for me. The new fabric on the doors is located just right for a good arm rest. The window/door/mirror controls are perfect and are illuminated great. I am still trying to find a good use for the tray above the speaker. The new cupholder console is fantastic. A great improvement. The taupe interior color is much better and goes well with the griege liner. On the not so great side, the new basic radio is a little more gimmicky than the old one and the glove box is a lot smaller. you get more knee room, but it costs. I was right about the 2x2 openings under the air vents. The left one is for the 4 position switch for 4wd and the right one is forthe air bag switch on the regular and club cabs. for 2wd quads, they are just two small cubbyholes for whatever. The new climate position switch has eleven positions and a separate on/off for the a/c. On the overhead console the ones with the electronics has a built-in garage door opener that I don't remember on the 00. It has three buttons and is total different from the base quad unit.
    I love the new 16 inch wheels, but the new tires are expensive. The afternoon that I got it, we stop to shop on the way to dinner and my wife notices that the right rear tire is low. We air it up and take it to the nearest Goodyear dealer. He finds a rock all the way through the tread. I have never seen the like. Less than 75 miles and no off pavement travel! Says that I can have a new tire for half price-$100. Thank goodness for matching spares. I had the Dodge dealer patch the flat for a spare while we try to negotiate with Goodyear.
    When I picked it up, the fit and finish on the truck was perfect. I had the flares, mudflaps and the sill guards installed. In two weeks, I have an appointment to have the front fascia and lower rear bumpers painted (only $150).
    I got to go, teh quad is all alone in the garage and needs some air. PS 15.0 on first tank.
  • samg42samg42 Member Posts: 10
    The front fasia on the SLTs is the same gray as before. If anyone is interested. CR Moore in OK has 3 00 Quad, bronze, garnet and white and a bronze 01 for sale
  • socaldudesocaldude Member Posts: 14
    I call a dealer in Irvine and ask if he has any
    2001 Dakotas in stock. He says yeah, we have a
    few. I ask him to check and make sure so I don't
    drive over there for nothing. He comes back a few
    minutes later and says that he actually doesn't
    have any. When I ask when they are coming in he
    says most likely October. Yeah, right. I tell him
    that some folks on the internet have already
    received theirs, he says that if he doesn't have
    them, nobody does.

I call three other area dealers and they all say
    the same basic thing. I know they're lying about
    October, and just want to sell what they have now.
    I can't believe that Dodge keeps them that far in
    the dark. My problem is that I won't do business
    with someone that lies to me. These guys have no
    ethics whatsoever. They'll say anything to sell a
    car now, and don't car if dishonesty causes them
    to lose a future sale. It's disgusting.

Ok. I'm done now. Thanks for letting me vent ;-)
  • socaldudesocaldude Member Posts: 14
    ...aware of a dealer in this state that actually
    has an 01 Dakota? It doesn't have to be a quad,
    I'm going to buy a club cab. I want to see the
    new interior and other changes before I order one.
    If I don't like what I see, I'll take advantage
    of the current rebates and get an 00.

Thanks!
    Socaldude -- try Autobytel or some other buying assistance program. These dealers are more likely to be more honest with you. Even within a dealership there are variances on how you are treated.

qc2001 -- Did you notice that the radio opening on the '01 seems to be a rounded rectangle, unlike the '00. I was a little concerned that this meant that the installation kits for the '00 would not work on the '01 without some modification or the DIN and half Pioneer install may be just a tiny bit more involved.

I noticed on the dodge website www.4addoge.com, the Farm Bureau discount has been extended to 8-31 -00. Remember, you have to be a member for at least 30 days before you can get the rebate. Maybe they are only extending a month this time, so that people do not just join for the rebate :).

For those who have received their '01, Did your truck come with the Security Key? Is it like the key they use on the F-150, kinda bigger with a computer chip in the plasic cover. My invoice didn't show it, but I assumed it was standard equipment.
    Transponder keys will be phased into new Dodge Truck keys as per GM & Ford... No biggy!

Just another decoding/reading chore for locksmiths (a side hobby of mine) and another cost to keep unscrupulous thieves' toolboxes up to date.

Progress? I guess so... But if a good thief wants your truck, he'll have it in minutes.

Still waiting for experiences of those with the roof rack!!!
  • edwardqcedwardqc Member Posts: 16
    VICTX:
    My issues sound similar to yours. DC says I'm still waiting on a railcar on my 4x4 QC. This has been the status since 7-31. Most of the time, the 800 number customer service folks are great, but occasionally you get that doesn't want to help. I got one of them this AM. So I called the dealer and he told me he gets a new status report later today and he'll let me know, but he did say it was shipped and he had received the invoice on 8-4. I'll have that in hand sometime this AM and I'll post it for those interested. It appears though, that I am still waiting for a railcar, as you seem to be.

On another note, I went to a dealer yesterday and saw several 2001 QCs, including one 4x4. The wheels and interior are great, and not much change on the fascia. My one pet peeve is the tires, which are almost street tread Goodyears. I wonder if the factory understands what an "all-terrain" tire should be.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Sam, good rundown on the 2001 Dakota. Actually, the 2000 model with overhead convenience group sports a spring loaded door that allows one to actuate their garage door opener easily.

Bookitty
  • astaasta Member Posts: 122
    socaldude - I've been dealing with Tustin Dodge and the guy there is straightforward but kinda of a space case. He NEVER calls me. I always have to call him and then he gives me the info I want. 3 weeks ago he said his dealership would start ordering the 01's in a "week or two". I'm going to call him today and see what's up. I have not seen a 01 quad anywhere in So Cal. That includes LA, where I live, OC, where my parents are, and even up into Ventura.

samg42 - thanks for that update on your new 01. It's good to hear SOMEONE out there likes the new interior (Whew) Seems like everyone is going with painted fascias color keyed to the exterior I imagine. Why doesn't D/C just provide that option from the factory? That gray is weak. I'm curious: on the interior you said the glove box is smaller yet the leg room is increased, right? Big increase on the passenger side, i.e., a 6ftr and over could fit comfortably with the same size person behind them? Or not that big a difference??

you guys with your 01's are SO LUCKY! keep us uptodate so we can live vicariously through your good fortune, i.e. you don't live in southern california!
  • wantaquadwantaquad Member Posts: 11
    well, took delivery of my 2001 quad last thursday.....just posting now 'cause went camping (not in the truck).....
    the front fascia is still grey (unpainted) for the slt......
    the interior i think is much better than the 2000 (i like it better)....i have the med. bronze so i got the taupe interior.....it's actually more a grey then tan.......
    looks great.....
    the radio is new (same as in the top of the line intrepid i'm told...)
    totally new interior layout (doors/dash/console)
    i have the bench seat....no cup holders in the seat..they are instead in the floor console with handy little levers to adjust for different size drinks (kinda cool)...
    the trip/odometer and drive selector displays are digital now....
    the door skins are totally different (i'm told like some other dodge car, but can't remember...intrepid?)
    got the power heated side view mirrors with the sliding rear window....
    oh yea, the mirrors are different too now...
    they look much better than the bulky old 6X9's i think
    much more stylish IMO
    what else........hmm......
    different child seat attachments in the rear seat (or so i'm told)
    also told that the engine looks a bit different than the 4.7L 2000 model....same basic engine but some kind of box on top that is different....don't know what thow...
    also told that the hitch in the back is diff.....more stealthy...doesn't stick out as much as the 2000 model....
    well, that's about it for now.....let me know if anyone has any specific questions i can answer (i have the slt loaded except for the buckets and power seats)....
This discussion has been closed.