Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Buying oil at the dollar store for anything but an old lawnmower seems nuts to me, but poor people have to do the best they can.

In the common man's defense, I think some of the manufacturers (looking at Europe primarily) have gone overboard with specialized oils now. Reading the Volvo forums, they switched to something no one else uses, so it is very hard to find (basically just the dealer at top $, if they even have it). I suspect BMW, Audi, etc. are doing their best to confuse owners too about which oil they are supposed to use, with so many variations now.

I buy my oil from my BMW dealer because I get a great discount- but I could find the correct Longlife approved oil for the BMWs and Mini at Advance Auto. AutoZone, and Walmart if needed.
    But if you buy it at your BMW dealer do you have to register it?

Mercedes has as many different oil approval standards- if not more. But since you’ve probably never touched a bottle of oil you wouldn’t know that.
    I like how you know what I have done and haven't done. I've had cars that needed 4 quarts of oil a week, I bought it by the gallon and added it myself. But, I have never ever registered a can of oil with my MB dealer.
    Sorry, I completely forgot about your extensive automotive technical experience. I’m sorry that you no longer own BMWs; your encyclopedic knowledge of the marque would prove invaluable.
    Well, I probably know a lot more than you do about pickleball.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

I reset the clock in the E400 and the GLK this morning....I left them on manual changeover. Both are done slightly different so it takes a while to figure out how to do it.
    We left Florida on this date exactly one year ago so the C250 is on whatever time was on it when we left.

Last night I watched my cell phone change from 1:59 to 3:00. Oddly satisfying.
    Cool!
    The 2014 had about 34000 miles on it....and it hasn't had one additional mile on it since March 14 2020.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,370
    edited March 2021
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Buying oil at the dollar store for anything but an old lawnmower seems nuts to me, but poor people have to do the best they can.

In the common man's defense, I think some of the manufacturers (looking at Europe primarily) have gone overboard with specialized oils now. Reading the Volvo forums, they switched to something no one else uses, so it is very hard to find (basically just the dealer at top $, if they even have it). I suspect BMW, Audi, etc. are doing their best to confuse owners too about which oil they are supposed to use, with so many variations now.

I buy my oil from my BMW dealer because I get a great discount- but I could find the correct Longlife approved oil for the BMWs and Mini at Advance Auto. AutoZone, and Walmart if needed.
    But if you buy it at your BMW dealer do you have to register it?

Mercedes has as many different oil approval standards- if not more. But since you’ve probably never touched a bottle of oil you wouldn’t know that.
    I like how you know what I have done and haven't done. I've had cars that needed 4 quarts of oil a week, I bought it by the gallon and added it myself. But, I have never ever registered a can of oil with my MB dealer.
    Sorry, I completely forgot about your extensive automotive technical experience. I’m sorry that you no longer own BMWs; your encyclopedic knowledge of the marque would prove invaluable.
    Well, I probably know a lot more than you do about pickleball.
    I'd be beyond embarrassed if that wasn't the case.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,687
    driver100 said:

I reset the clock in the E400 and the GLK this morning....I left them on manual changeover. Both are done slightly different so it takes a while to figure out how to do it.
    We left Florida on this date exactly one year ago so the C250 is on whatever time was on it when we left.

How are you maintaining that car over such a long period?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,578

Teaching him to fish is way different to giving him a meal.

It’s interesting that you say that. I hope this doesn’t get too long but you guys know how to handle that.

My Son has learned quite a bit so far but like everything else you can always learn more and that goes for me too. Grandson #2 has really surprised me with his interest with the first 2 flips. I never thought he’d like that. He couldn’t wait for his Father to find another project after flip #2 was sold. Yesterday Grandson#1 had 5 of his friends come over because of the heavy demo work. Yes my Son paid these kids and they seemed to enjoy the work which is good because there was plenty to do. Gutted the kitchen and took down 2 walls in there and opened up another wall to get the all important open concept to the family room from the kitchen. Upstairs another gut job to the master bath. Took out a walk in closet from the adjoining #2 bedroom to make the master bath a very good size. Yes a closet will now be added to the #2 bedroom. All sounds pretty good so what could go wrong? I’ll tell ya. My Son let Grandson #2 in charge of the demo work upstairs (he had some experience, right?) while my Son was directing a couple kids in the basement.

After a few minutes I decided to go upstairs and the kids were having fun like they show on TV demo days. I yelled out for them to stop. Grandson #2 asks why. I told them they had to take down the drywall on bathroom side and the closet side using the demo saw so they could take large pieces of drywall down the steps rather than using the sledge hammer and kick method that broke up the drywall in very small pieces. My Grandson asks why since with the first two flips they did it via the sledge hammer and kick method. I had to remind him the first 2 flips were ranch style homes and the small pieces of drywall could be put into a wheel barrow and hauled out to the dumpster through the front door. His reply was, “so”? So I asked him if he planned on taking the wheel barrow down the steps. Got one of those deer in the head lights looks.

When I told my Son what the kids were doing on the second floor he said, “oh yeah, I should have told them that. Glad you caught them before it was too late”. Nobody knows it all but I at least knew that.

Just in case any of you guys are afraid I might sprain my pointing finger, stop worrying. Demo work takes some thought not like what they don’t show you on TV where it looks like a big grand party.

I don’t think this was too long. Sorry if I scared y’all.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

driver100 said:

We thought we would be returning in November which would be 7 months. When I leave it for 7 months I put STABIL in the gas, I overinflate the tires 2 pounds, it is hooked up to a trickle charger, it is on rubber mats, mouse repellent under the hood, steel wool in the exhaust pipe.

I think that should get it through for one year. I am just hoping for the best. The tires usually take about 10 miles before they lose their flat spots...that might take longer.

I have a neighbor who would take it out, but it doesn't have insurance on it for driving...just while stationary.
    I can only do what I can do, if something is wrong when we get back I'll have to deal with it then.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,335
    @jmonroe1,
    I agree with you about how to remove the drywall, but the house does have windows on the 2nd floor, right?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@jmonroe1,
    I agree with you about how to remove the drywall, but the house does have windows on the 2nd floor, right?

Of course the house has windows but picking up shattered pieces of drywall from the driveway is another mess to deal with. I’m sure you’ll be happy to know that the old framing lumber did go out the window. But not before I made them understand the importance of someone being in the driveway to make sure no one walked out of the basement door or either of the two garage doors.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,575
    need one of those window mounted slides to shoot it right into the dumpster.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,574
    Every time I see demo on one of the TV shows, I start cringing, because in reality, someone would get hurt if you just handed them a sledgehammer

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That’s just staged to get a shot. Mostly happens normally off camera by the crew that actually does all the work.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    But the idea of using a sledgehammer to demo kitchen cabinets that are held to the wall with a few screws is just idiotic - especially when they use it to hit a cabinet door.

In truth there is very little reality in most of these shows. It's too bad.

On Prime there is an older Canadian reno series I would recommend. The first season is from around 2000 or 2001, so it is dated now, but still interesting. It's called Real Renos and follows around a Toronto contractor named Jim Caruk. It's different from what came later because there is almost nothing that isn't actually happening in reality when taped. The one flaw is that they padded out episodes by over-using footage previously seen, so be aware of that annoyance as it goes on. But Caruk is very likable and it's worth a watch. Up here Prime only has the first 3 seasons for some reason but the U.S. Prime has all of them. I don't know if I ever saw the latter few seasons.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Nicole Curtis shows (rehab addict) are legit too.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Can opener arrived via Amazon Saturday. It's a cheapie - but it does have a knife sharpener. I probably won't use it until I am ready for tuna fish - that's the only product I purchase in a can that does not have an easy-open lid. I used the manual can opener for years and never experienced a problem. But since this was a free-bee gift, I just plugged it in and it will sit there until needed.

As for daylight savings time, I went down to the car this morning to adjust the clock, but noticed that the clock and digital timers in the car were already set to daylight savings time. So I would imagine I had the system set to "auto" for time changes.

Our Senator, Marco Rubio, is a cosponsor of a bill to make Daylight Savings Time the standard time for the entire country year round - so there would not be a need to change clocks every 4 and 8 months. When I awakened this morning at 6:45 AM,, it was dark outside. Kids are going to school in the dark or waiting at bus stops for the school buses in the dark. That remains the only sticking point to making daylight savings time the official time year round in the United States. I guess that could be remedied by making starting times for schools a bit later, however there remains the problem of having enough school buses available at certain times to transport kids to schools.

When I was a school principal, the 9-12 schools started at 8:00 AM, Middle Schools started at 8:30 AM, and K-5 schools started at 9:00 AM (staggered) so there would be sufficient buses available to transport kids. School ended at 2:00 PM for 9-12, 2:30 for Middle Schools, and 3:00 for K-5.

It would be dark in the AM's for just a few weeks until we reached mid-April, when the sun would rise at about 7:00 AM. Same for October/November.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

So, where were you guys today? :@

jmonroe

Trying to find a store with an electric can opener in stock :D:D:D
    Is that the best you can come up with? :@

I’ll be heading over in a few minutes to help fill up the other half of the dumpster :(

jmonroe
    You're probably late....did you remember to set your clock ahead?

No I’m not. I’m the only one here so far. I think they forgot. No loss, that’s giving me time to post.

Hey @graphicguy, yanked out an old Coloric dishwasher yesterday. The woman who owned this place said it was here when she got here in 1985. Before it gets tossed in the dumpster, do you want it? It still works. You will probably need a replacement for your new Kitchenaid in about 10 years. White with a mechanical timer will probably be in vogue by then. Going once, going twice...

jmonroe
    Is that brand a regional thing? I’ve never even heard of them. Then again, in 1985 I was washing my dishes by hand in a house I could barely afford.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

Friend of the GF’s bought a Bronco Sport. She stopped by yesterday to show it to us.

Pretty impressive! Less “Jeepy” than a Jeep. Obviously, Ford is trying to capture that market, though. They also are trading on the Bronco name (although in OJ’s case, probably not the kind of brand recognition they want).

Only rode in it, and only for a few miles. Rides fine...better than expected for what it is. Has all the modern amenities. Pretty darned comfortable, too. Makes me wonder how good the “regular” Bronco will be.

99.9% of those who desire a modicum of off road ability would be perfectly served by the Bronco Sport. And, it’s comfortable enough for daily use.

Impressive!

It does seem nice. It doesn’t tick any boxes for me but it should prove to be popular.

ab348 said:

I don't know if the Bronco Sport trim levels here in Canada are different than in the US (I suspect not) but the 2.0T engine is available only in the top-line "Badlands" trim which comes in at $45K. The "Outer Banks" trim seems nicer to me and is a few thou less expensive but only can be had with the 1.5T engine.

Seemed peppy...but this is from the passenger seat. I don’t know the trim levels, but this one seemed fairly loaded....Nav, with a B&O stereo, which was unexpected. I asked her if it had locking diffs. She didn’t know. She liked the way it looked.

Long and short of it, I agree, Ford will sell several boatloads of them.
  • Options

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

I’ll be heading over in a few minutes to help fill up the other half of the dumpster :(

jmonroe

No I’m not. I’m the only one here so far. I think they forgot. No loss, that’s giving me time to post.

Hey @graphicguy, yanked out an old Coloric dishwasher yesterday. The woman who owned this place said it was here when she got here in 1985. Before it gets tossed in the dumpster, do you want it? It still works. You will probably need a replacement for your new Kitchenaid in about 10 years. White with a mechanical timer will probably be in vogue by then. Going once, going twice...

jmonroe
    Is that brand a regional thing? I’ve never even heard of them. Then again, in 1985 I was washing my dishes by hand in a house I could barely afford.
    I think Caloric was a GE brand, way back when. Below Hotpoint

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Who says you can’t get an “edumacation” here at Edmunds? LOL!
  • Options
    edited March 2021

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Who says you can’t get an “edumacation” here at Edmunds? LOL!
    Except, I could be wrong. I do know it was a "builder grade" brand.

EDIT: Google says it was a Maytag brand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

That’s just staged to get a shot. Mostly happens normally off camera by the crew that actually does all the work.

I agree but since it’s TV they feel compelled to add a little bit of excitement. When you stop and think about it, getting a cut on your hand that doesn’t even require stitches is pretty bad because you’ll lose some use of that hand and it could affect how you work the rest of the day. That’s why I ALWAYS insist that gloves be worn and eye protection. When the kids came over on Saturday to do the heavy demo work we had heavy duty leather gloves for all of them AND goggles. Goggles are better than plain safety glasses because they provide wrap around protection for your eyes when bits of drywall and wood splinters are being thrown around.

I guess this is a carry over from working for a company that was fanatical about safety. It was drummed into us from the first day we stared working there. There are worse things to learn.

jmonroe
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,335
    Bronco Sport with B & O is either Outer Banks or Badlands.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ab348 said:

But the idea of using a sledgehammer to demo kitchen cabinets that are held to the wall with a few screws is just idiotic - especially when they use it to hit a cabinet door.

In truth there is very little reality in most of these shows. It's too bad.

On Prime there is an older Canadian reno series I would recommend. The first season is from around 2000 or 2001, so it is dated now, but still interesting. It's called Real Renos and follows around a Toronto contractor named Jim Caruk. It's different from what came later because there is almost nothing that isn't actually happening in reality when taped. The one flaw is that they padded out episodes by over-using footage previously seen, so be aware of that annoyance as it goes on. But Caruk is very likable and it's worth a watch. Up here Prime only has the first 3 seasons for some reason but the U.S. Prime has all of them. I don't know if I ever saw the latter few seasons.

Yep, doing demo work on kitchen cabinets with a sledgehammer is ridiculous. How could anyone with an once of sense not realize that isn’t the way to do it. The way TV shows it, it’s always better to carry out splinters than a solid cabinet. BUT, it’s TV and that biz is built on entertainment. Even the news today is sketchy.

jmonroe
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,331
    abacomike said:

Can opener arrived via Amazon Saturday. It's a cheapie - but it does have a knife sharpener. I probably won't use it until I am ready for tuna fish - that's the only product I purchase in a can that does not have an easy-open lid. I used the manual can opener for years and never experienced a problem. But since this was a free-bee gift, I just plugged it in and it will sit there until needed.

As for daylight savings time, I went down to the car this morning to adjust the clock, but noticed that the clock and digital timers in the car were already set to daylight savings time. So I would imagine I had the system set to "auto" for time changes.

Our Senator, Marco Rubio, is a cosponsor of a bill to make Daylight Savings Time the standard time for the entire country year round - so there would not be a need to change clocks every 4 and 8 months. When I awakened this morning at 6:45 AM,, it was dark outside. Kids are going to school in the dark or waiting at bus stops for the school buses in the dark. That remains the only sticking point to making daylight savings time the official time year round in the United States. I guess that could be remedied by making starting times for schools a bit later, however there remains the problem of having enough school buses available at certain times to transport kids to schools.

When I was a school principal, the 9-12 schools started at 8:00 AM, Middle Schools started at 8:30 AM, and K-5 schools started at 9:00 AM (staggered) so there would be sufficient buses available to transport kids. School ended at 2:00 PM for 9-12, 2:30 for Middle Schools, and 3:00 for K-5.

It would be dark in the AM's for just a few weeks until we reached mid-April, when the sun would rise at about 7:00 AM. Same for October/November.

I am not sure about a year round daylight saving time, here that would make the sunrise at 8:00AM or later from late November to early February. And I am at the eastern side of the time zone, those on the western side of a time zone may have up to 4 months of days where the sunrise is 8:00AM or later with sunrises as late as 8:45AM.

I do however think that we should split the difference and change the clocks by 30 minutes and be done with it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104

I do however think that we should split the difference and change the clocks by 30 minutes and be done with it.

Yeah, I could live with that.

I guess the plethora of devices now with internal clocks has caused the uprising of people demanding an end to seasonal time changes. Or maybe it's just trendy to complain about. It was always just something I thought helped mark the seasons changing.

20 or so years ago I was in Saskatchewan in January (not recommended). Saskatchewan never bought in on the time change ritual and so when I was there it didn't get light in the AM until well after 9:00. I didn't like that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    I had a Caloric oven in my old house before the remodel. It was pretty old but worked well. It actually had a better broiler than any other oven I’ve used including the one in the new house.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,499
    ab348 said:

I guess the plethora of devices now with internal clocks has caused the uprising of people demanding an end to seasonal time changes. Or maybe it's just trendy to complain about. It was always just something I thought helped mark the seasons changing.

20 or so years ago I was in Saskatchewan in January (not recommended). Saskatchewan never bought in on the time change ritual and so when I was there it didn't get light in the AM until well after 9:00. I didn't like that.
    When I was in college in AZ, they didn't use DST, either. Half the year I was on the same time as my folks in CA, the other half I was an hour ahead.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,331
    ab348 said:

Well that after 9AM sunrise was more due to being up north than anything else. We had that while I was in Alaska.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,184
    As long as it is on a trickle charger, it'll probably be fine. - might need air, probably nothing else. These modern cars do eventually drain the battery when idle long enough. IIRC when the wagon sat idle for a couple weeks last spring, it eventually sent me a message telling me to run the engine to charge the battery.

I recently took the fintail out of hibernation - I did nothing to it beforehand, just parked it and covered it. Fired up on the first turn of the key (it has a huge battery, fintail clocks are usually on the "right twice a day" plan, so nothing to drain it).
    driver100 said:

We thought we would be returning in November which would be 7 months. When I leave it for 7 months I put STABIL in the gas, I overinflate the tires 2 pounds, it is hooked up to a trickle charger, it is on rubber mats, mouse repellent under the hood, steel wool in the exhaust pipe.

I think that should get it through for one year. I am just hoping for the best. The tires usually take about 10 miles before they lose their flat spots...that might take longer.

I have a neighbor who would take it out, but it doesn't have insurance on it for driving...just while stationary.
    I can only do what I can do, if something is wrong when we get back I'll have to deal with it then.

• Options
    Getting reality from housing propaganda shows would be like getting news from Alternet or Infowars - these shows might be as bad as the worst "news" sources.

The home purchasing ones are best, I like the scenarios like having a pair of 28 year old buyers, one is an artisanal dog walker, the other a party consultant , they are looking for a starter home in the low 1.2s. Or Ashtyn, who is on sabbatical, and Aidyn, who writes self-published children's books, are looking for a vacation house in the 800K range.
    jmonroe1 said:

Yep, doing demo work on kitchen cabinets with a sledgehammer is ridiculous. How could anyone with an once of sense not realize that isn’t the way to do it. The way TV shows it, it’s always better to carry out splinters than a solid cabinet. BUT, it’s TV and that biz is built on entertainment. Even the news today is sketchy.

jmonroe

• Options
    I'm somewhat north and far east in the time zone. It's pretty dark here before 4pm in the winter - but in the summer it will be perfectly light well before 5am.

Well that after 9AM sunrise was more due to being up north than anything else. We had that while I was in Alaska.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    edited March 2021
    fintail said:

Getting reality from housing propaganda shows would be like getting news from Alternet or Infowars - these shows might be as bad as the worst "news" sources.

The home purchasing ones are best, I like the scenarios like having a pair of 28 year old buyers, one is starting an artisanal dog walking consulting business, the other an assistant to a party consultant , they are looking for a starter home in the low 1.2s. Or Ashtyn, who is on sabbatical, and Aidyn, who writes self-published children's books, are looking for a vacation house in the 800K range.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

"I've always wanted to pretend that I was..." starting an artisanal dog walking consulting business.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    ab348 said:

Tiger Woods was in a single-car rollover crash today and suffered multiple leg injuries according to news reports. First responders needed Jaws of Life to extract him. Injuries being described as moderate to serious. A LA TV helicopter shot of the post-crash scene appears to show evidence of him crossing the median on a divided multi-lane street, going through some vegetation/small trees and then tumbling over on a bank. Thankfully no other vehicles were involved. Here's a shot of the vehicle from above, which is a Genesis GV80 courtesy car from this past week's event at Riviera CC.

Coming in late here.

I grew up close to where Tiger left the road and I'm familiar with that bend. I'm guessing he was WELL over the speed limit!
  • Options
    fintail said:

Apparently the 72 hours is even to allow for a bidding war - crazy market. decent area. It was recommended we/my mom provide a pre-inspection to grease the wheels, so to speak (but the house is pristine, original owner, etc, one walkthrough will probably sell it). I'm too far away to really hover over the process, but my sister is going to keep an eye on it, as my mom hasn't dealt with anything housing related in 30 years.

I'm thinking of driving over around the time it is listed, and take one last look - I am sure the next owners will gut the original finishes and everything that has been unchanged since more than a decade before I was born.

tjc78 said:

It’s everywhere. Houses are flying. Mine was gone in a weekend.

Paying for an inspection is a good idea. That way a potential buyer may take one look at the report and be satisfied. Is this house in Bellevue?

Zillow says our house is worth a bit over a million. Time to downsize but we cant agree on where to go. Once we sell and move, the house is gone forever. We are well aware of that.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    fintail said:

As long as it is on a trickle charger, it'll probably be fine. - might need air, probably nothing else. These modern cars do eventually drain the battery when idle long enough. IIRC when the wagon sat idle for a couple weeks last spring, it eventually sent me a message telling me to run the engine to charge the battery.

I recently took the fintail out of hibernation - I did nothing to it beforehand, just parked it and covered it. Fired up on the first turn of the key (it has a huge battery, fintail clocks are usually on the "right twice a day" plan, so nothing to drain it).

driver100 said:

Trickle charger should be good unless there is an unusual power outage in Florida....which could happen. The tires usually lose a pound or two over the 7 month period....so being away for 18 months could present a problem. I do have my new air pump if needed though. The C250 is pretty basic, not a whole lot of electronics to drain it.

MrsD's GLK says don't leave the car uncharged for over 6 weeks......she accidentally spotted that in her manual when looking for something else. My friends Maserati, which he no longer owns, lost it's charge after 4 weeks, and it costs a lot to reset everything....though they did it for him as it was under warranty and I think they felt they should have warned him about that.

• Options
    I think I saw that episode (actually, I can't stand that stuff. My mom watches it, I think it is like reality TV or vicarious living for some people - I know this is an era of dynastic wealth and all, but many of the scenarios are just laughably unrealistic).
    nyccarguy said:

The home purchasing ones are best, I like the scenarios like having a pair of 28 year old buyers, one is starting an artisanal dog walking consulting business, the other an assistant to a party consultant , they are looking for a starter home in the low 1.2s. Or Ashtyn, who is on sabbatical, and Aidyn, who writes self-published children's books, are looking for a vacation house in the 800K range.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,499

fintail said:

Apparently the 72 hours is even to allow for a bidding war - crazy market. decent area. It was recommended we/my mom provide a pre-inspection to grease the wheels, so to speak (but the house is pristine, original owner, etc, one walkthrough will probably sell it). I'm too far away to really hover over the process, but my sister is going to keep an eye on it, as my mom hasn't dealt with anything housing related in 30 years.

I'm thinking of driving over around the time it is listed, and take one last look - I am sure the next owners will gut the original finishes and everything that has been unchanged since more than a decade before I was born.

tjc78 said:

It’s everywhere. Houses are flying. Mine was gone in a weekend.

Paying for an inspection is a good idea. That way a potential buyer may take one look at the report and be satisfied. Is this house in Bellevue?

Zillow says our house is worth a bit over a million. Time to downsize but we cant agree on where to go. Once we sell and move, the house is gone forever. We are well aware of that.
    Saw an article that suggested the prices on Zillow could be way off, based on their algorithm.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    On my prior (W212) car, if I drove for short periods then left the car idle for a week or more, it could drain the battery - I had to jump it twice, and this was on a 2-3 year old car. I think the W213 has extra capacity, and now warns the driver when there might be a problem. I know lots of stuff "runs" in the car even when idle - sit in the car for half an hour after it is switched off, and there's electronic noise.

Only way to have a Maserati is under warranty!
    driver100 said:

Trickle charger should be good unless there is an unusual power outage in Florida....which could happen. The tires usually lose a pound or two over the 7 month period....so being away for 18 months could present a problem. I do have my new air pump if needed though. The C250 is pretty basic, not a whole lot of electronics to drain it.

MrsD's GLK says don't leave the car uncharged for over 6 weeks......she accidentally spotted that in her manual when looking for something else. My friends Maserati, which he no longer owns, lost it's charge after 4 weeks, and it costs a lot to reset everything....though they did it for him as it was under warranty and I think they felt they should have warned him about that.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    South of Bellevue, but still in a decent enough area (although it can get relatively sketchy a few miles from there in that Puget Sound way that isn't actually sketchy, the neighborhood is still fine, bordering newer and larger houses, and even has a couple original owners on the street). The house will bring dozens of times its original purchase price. Let the bidding war commence.

It passed inspection with flying colors, only recommendation was a crawlspace vapor barrier replacement, which is apparently being done this week or next. Only drawbacks to the house I see are the oil furnace (although it is newer) and maybe original windows, but they are all sound. It is expected to hit the market in early April, I am going over the first weekend of the month to see the place one last time. In the family nearly 60 years, almost unchanged.

• Options
    bwia said:

Car Buying Tips in 2021. Tell a car salesman THESE 10 things to get the best deal by Ari Janessian

Nothing in here is new except I hadn't heard of these two before: FICO specific auto scores and getting half-off any add on products. Watch short YouTube below

1. You intend on / have already shopped the deal around at multiple stores, and you intend to make a deal today ONLY if you get the number you want.
    2. Your financing options are flexible and they will be clearer based on the best possible terms being offered. Don’t say paying cash.
    3. You obtained your FICO Auto Scores accurately via the myFICO app in the description below. What they want to know is that you’re a 720+ according to FICO Score 5 or 8, not Credit Karmas algorithm.
    4. You are not interested in leasing past 36 months or financing past 60 months so please do not quote me those payments.
    5. Total DAS including first payment for a lease and Out the door for a purchase!
    6. You expect X amount for your trade, and have already had offers made from third parties such as Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, KBB, Edmunds, etc.
    7. You have an interest rate through your credit union that you expect for them to beat. If they can’t beat it, sweeten the deal another way!
    8. You do not want any protection products unless they are giving them for half price! The reason why is because it’s likely you won’t even break even on them!
    9. You will leave a 10/10 Survey if you have a pleasant experience at their store. This actually means something to them financially.
    10. You watch and Subscribe to Ari on YouTube so you know all his tricks already :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7WQtBL9L4
    So many so called "experts" out there dispensing information.

In my last few years in the Honda business most of my customers were repeat and referrals. They knew that I would treat them like a person and be upfront with them. That's all I ever had to do.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

bwia said:

Car Buying Tips in 2021. Tell a car salesman THESE 10 things to get the best deal by Ari Janessian

Nothing in here is new except I hadn't heard of these two before: FICO specific auto scores and getting half-off any add on products. Watch short YouTube below

1. You intend on / have already shopped the deal around at multiple stores, and you intend to make a deal today ONLY if you get the number you want.
    2. Your financing options are flexible and they will be clearer based on the best possible terms being offered. Don’t say paying cash.
    3. You obtained your FICO Auto Scores accurately via the myFICO app in the description below. What they want to know is that you’re a 720+ according to FICO Score 5 or 8, not Credit Karmas algorithm.
    4. You are not interested in leasing past 36 months or financing past 60 months so please do not quote me those payments.
    5. Total DAS including first payment for a lease and Out the door for a purchase!
    6. You expect X amount for your trade, and have already had offers made from third parties such as Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, KBB, Edmunds, etc.
    7. You have an interest rate through your credit union that you expect for them to beat. If they can’t beat it, sweeten the deal another way!
    8. You do not want any protection products unless they are giving them for half price! The reason why is because it’s likely you won’t even break even on them!
    9. You will leave a 10/10 Survey if you have a pleasant experience at their store. This actually means something to them financially.
    10. You watch and Subscribe to Ari on YouTube so you know all his tricks already :)

In my last few years in the Honda business most of my customers were repeat and referrals. They knew that I would treat them like a person and be upfront with them. That's all I ever had to do.
    Well, that’s not really true. I remember you telling us about a few hair raising test drives. Which we gathered was the fun part of the biz. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    fintail said:

South of Bellevue, but still in a decent enough area (although it can get relatively sketchy a few miles from there in that Puget Sound way that isn't actually sketchy, the neighborhood is still fine, bordering newer and larger houses, and even has a couple original owners on the street). The house will bring dozens of times its original purchase price. Let the bidding war commence.

It passed inspection with flying colors, only recommendation was a crawlspace vapor barrier replacement, which is apparently being done this week or next. Only drawbacks to the house I see are the oil furnace (although it is newer) and maybe original windows, but they are all sound. It is expected to hit the market in early April, I am going over the first weekend of the month to see the place one last time. In the family nearly 60 years, almost unchanged.

The thing that could affect the C250 is the oil will be in the car for about 20 months. Normally, oil gets changed at the 10k mile mark, or once a year. Oil itself doesn't go bad, but the problem could be contaminates, moisture, or sludge build up I suppose. It is hard to find a real answer.

Maybe I could send someone like JMonroe over to do an oil change.....oh, wait, on second thought........

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,991
    I agree too many experts out there. Most are just repeating the same information. In the early to mid 90s I had a good relationship with a salesman. He was never pushy, would call me or mail me information that he knew I'd be interested in, encouraged me to drive what ever car I wanted to for extended periods. I referred 8-10 sales to him as well as my own multiple purchases. My last interaction with him was in 2000 and he retired soon after. I have yet to have that type of relationship again. Now when I get a call from a salesman I have done business with it seems forced as if they were made to call me to make their contact numbers.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

bwia said:

Well, my take on it as a buyer, is doing that for any buyer (by any salesperson) should be the bare minimum. For me buying, what you really needed to do was also gave the lowest price/best deal.

• Options
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

The thing that could affect the C250 is the oil will be in the car for about 20 months. Normally, oil gets changed at the 10k mile mark, or once a year. Oil itself doesn't go bad, but the problem could be contaminates, moisture, or sludge build up I suppose. It is hard to find a real answer.

Maybe I could send someone like JMonroe over to do an oil change.....oh, wait, on second thought........
    The problem isn’t your oil sitting in the car a little longer. As long as you change it Before you start using the car.

• Options
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

You don’t need me to make a house call. What you need is for someone to doctor up your oil change log sheet so that it shows a recent oil change. That otta let you sleep at night.

jmonroe
  • Options
    Oh, meant to add. If you are really worried about fluids for a car in long term storage, I would worry about the gas, not the oil.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    jmonroe1 said:

Even the news today is sketchy.

Ya think?

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I assume it uses synthetic - I wouldn't worry. Sludge shouldn't be an issue on an idle engine. If you are concerned, just take the car in for an oil change right when you get back, before using it much.
    driver100 said:

• Options
    A little visual on what the Colorado contingent got. I loved the shot of the snow packed into the bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIUpXwu1OA