Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    qbrozen said:

Is this your third Tesla? I know you had 2.

Third yes. Two at present. Y replaces 3.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited March 2021
    breld said:

@tifighter .....sneaky-sneaky. Like it a lot. Congrats!

Same! Congrats!

Excited to hear your real-world impressions compared to the 3 and X.

What color interior did you get? And I assume this has the new center console and heated steering wheel at this point?
    Black interior. New console, wheel, etc. I ordered it on 2/3, was built on 3/1, picked it up 3/12. I know you and @28firefighter have already given your driving impressions on the Y; all I can say is I agree that it drives really well. Great car around town, as it feels agile, quick on it's feet, easy to park, and so on. Better than the 3 on rough pavement and feels quieter inside. Better interior packaging as well. But, I probably won't drive it much as this one belongs to my wife.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    tifighter said:

breld said:

Same! Congrats!

What color interior did you get? And I assume this has the new center console and heated steering wheel at this point?
    Black interior. New console, wheel, etc. I ordered it on 2/3, was built on 3/1, picked it up 3/19. I know you and @28firefighter have already given your driving impressions on the Y; all I can say is I agree that it drives really well. Great car around town, as it feels agile, quick on it's feet, easy to park, and so on. Better than the 3 on rough pavement and feels quieter inside. Better interior packaging as well. But, I probably won't drive it much as this one belongs to my wife.
    I really like this. The seats aren’t great for me, but for my wife’s daily it’d be fine.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    So, where does the Y fit? Between the 3 and X? I'm confused.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

So, where does the Y fit? Between the 3 and X? I'm confused.

3/Y = smaller car/crossover
    S/X = larger car/crossover

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    How expensive are these really? An dhow did you get one so fast? Isn't there a waiting list?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited March 2021
    tifighter said:

breld said:

Same! Congrats!

Black interior. New console, wheel, etc. I ordered it on 2/3, was built on 3/1, picked it up 3/12. I know you and @28firefighter have already given your driving impressions on the Y; all I can say is I agree that it drives really well. Great car around town, as it feels agile, quick on it's feet, easy to park, and so on. Better than the 3 on rough pavement and feels quieter inside. Better interior packaging as well. But, I probably won't drive it much as this one belongs to my wife.
    Nice. So those are the 20” wheel upgrade then? They look so similar to the 21” Performance wheels in pictures.

I’m 99% the Model Y is the way we’ll go. Just makes the most sense out of all the EV choices, assuming that’s what we want.

Just still holding out to see if there’s any more certainty regarding the revised tax credit, but at some point we’ll just pull the trigger. Our order for it is just sitting out there open - in fact, we got in on the pricing before the recent $1,000 increase (I assume you did as well?). So I think that price gets honored even though we haven’t taken delivery yet.

It’s only been a couple days since the Supra left, but I’ve already been driving the Leaf tons more and it only increases my desire for a nice EV (nothing against the Leaf, mind you...but it is what it is).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

How expensive are these really? An dhow did you get one so fast? Isn't there a waiting list?

A long-range (326 mile range) AWD Model Y is right around $50k. A bit more depending on color and wheel choices.

The wait time at this point is perhaps 2-3 weeks, but could be shorter depending on the options you select. When I placed our order a few weeks ago, they had one available right away, but we declined as we wanted to delay delivery.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited March 2021
    What do we think of this? Seems priced to move, but I'm not sure of the market on these. Also, according to Carfax, it's been on their lot since January. I can't see the price history, but I'm guessing it's been reduced.

I might have driven out there this afternoon to see it in person, and, it looks decent enough. New tires, but off-brand ones. Both the front and rear emblems are toast--it's obviously spent a lot of time in the sun. Also, the tacky rear light covers are installed with screws. :( I know I would have the same issues with the seating position I had with the Mustang, which would relegate it to shorter trips only, so I think it's a no go for me.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    that one doesn't move my needle. Auto, bland color.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    @stickguy,
    What have you driven that's fast/handles better?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    corvette said:

What do we think of this? Seems priced to move, but I'm not sure of the market on these. Also, according to Carfax, it's been on their lot since January. I can't see the price history, but I'm guessing it's been reduced.

I might have driven out there this afternoon to see it in person, and, it looks decent enough. New tires, but off-brand ones. Both the front and rear emblems are toast--it's obviously spent a lot of time in the sun. Also, the tacky rear light covers are installed with screws. :( I know I would have the same issues with the seating position I had with the Mustang, which would relegate it to shorter trips only, so I think it's a no go for me.

Where's the grimace emoji?

I agree with your assessment about it spending "time in the sun." Sun or no, it has not had an easy life. It looks like a car with twice the reported miles. I'm sure it was pleasant enough to gaze upon (and maybe even drive) at some point, but it's on the far end of those days now. The pricing seems like lunar territory to me given what the buyer gets in return.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

Take away the fact that it’s a Corvette (the positive). You’ve got a 21 year old car with almost 100,000 miles. The color is meh as well imo.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@stickguy,
    What have you driven that's fast/handles better?

Oh, I would love a nice C5 or even C6. I just don't like that particular unit. Looks a bit ratty (well, probably not uncommon for a C5 these days), and I would want it in a better color. And of course a manual tranny.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited March 2021
    Reminds me of what Shifty said about older Corvettes - the interiors age in dog years. That one is around 147 years old, so there we go. What bugs me most is that 80% of the switchgear appears to be from a Cavalier or Malibu. It would be a little while longer before GM finally grasped the importance of interior materials.
    xwesx said:

Where's the grimace emoji?

I agree with your assessment about it spending "time in the sun." Sun or no, it has not had an easy life. It looks like a car with twice the reported miles. I'm sure it was pleasant enough to gaze upon (and maybe even drive) at some point, but it's on the far end of those days now. The pricing seems like lunar territory to me given what the buyer gets in return.

breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

Same! Congrats!

Nice. So those are the 20” wheel upgrade then? They look so similar to the 21” Performance wheels in pictures.

I’m 99% the Model Y is the way we’ll go. Just makes the most sense out of all the EV choices, assuming that’s what we want.

Just still holding out to see if there’s any more certainty regarding the revised tax credit, but at some point we’ll just pull the trigger. Our order for it is just sitting out there open - in fact, we got in on the pricing before the recent $1,000 increase (I assume you did as well?). So I think that price gets honored even though we haven’t taken delivery yet.

It’s only been a couple days since the Supra left, but I’ve already been driving the Leaf tons more and it only increases my desire for a nice EV (nothing against the Leaf, mind you...but it is what it is).
    Yes, these are the optional 20". After driving the 19" standard wheels, the 20", and the Performance, these were my favorites. They look good in person too. Also, you should still get the lower price as well, yes.

As for the timing, well, there are 3 different bills now in the Senate and House for EV support, two of them are retroactive, one isn't. None have even been discussed in committee. I still think there will be cost restrictions in the end. But in any case, the trade value for our 3 was strong now, and I figured the longer we waited for news on an incentive, the riskier it got. If the car loses $3K in a few months, that's a good chunk of this incentive that may not happen anyhow. Plus CCBA membership, so we ordered it.

watchJRGO just started dropping videos on a 2000 C5 that he has had in the shop for a while (would see it in the background). Quite the dog. Makes the one here look concours. When it starts out needing an entirely new wiring harness, you know you are in trouble.

It depends on the configuration. From the tesla forums, we know at the moment that AWD models with standard wheels are delivering fast, which must be the most popular combo. Orders with the optional wheels were backed up for awhile but seem to be delivering now. Ours took 5 weeks. We also got the optional tow hitch for our bike carrier, which is probably less common too. Last, there is an optional tiny 3rd row available, and those have just begun to deliver in the past few days...people have been waiting awhile for those.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited March 2021
    As far as the Y, I like the proportions much more than the X - much better visually IMHO. Black or white interior? Congrats @tifighter !
    stickguy said:

watchJRGO just started dropping videos on a 2000 C5 that he has had in the shop for a while (would see it in the background). Quite the dog. Makes the one here look concours. When it starts out needing an entirely new wiring harness, you know you are in trouble.

Yup, and his barely runs and drives. I think he paid $5k, and it needs a paint job in addition to lots of other attention. $12.5k for a mostly sorted one seems like a bargain in comparison.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited March 2021
    corvette said:

That’s pretty high milage but not bad for a 21 year old car. Lower mileage examples go for mid to upper teens. That generation LS1 motor was supposed to be trouble free.

My 1984 C4 had 129k mikes on it when I inherited it from my son. I just started it’s slide into a money pit so at 136k I sold it.

I think watch JRgo just picked up a 2000 C5 Vette.

As I was pulling out of my driveway today a bright red C8 drove by. Spring is here.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

On my Instagram feed, @jpp75

Thanks @28firefighter and thanks @Michaell for sharing it here. I haven't been as active here lately but appreciate all the feedback. The C30 really is a great car, so understated and I've loved it for 2 years.

@tifighter You're partly correct, I recently moved and lost my spare parking space. While I could find another one, since I got the Model3 in September I've realized I just don't drive the C30 much anymore. When I had the Tacoma it was the perfect compliment to the truck and each morning I could decide what I wanted to drive. Since September 30 I've put almost 7,500 miles on the Model3 and maybe 800 miles on the C30, I find myself always getting in the Tesla even with the C30 sitting right next to it. The C30 is no longer the "fun" car and once you get used to an EV it's hard to enjoy the ICE vehicle, no matter how great it is.

With that said, I'll miss it. @Breld and I have often commented on how this is a car you just won't find again. The specs, the condition, etc., were truly one of a kind. But it really should be driven more, so we'll see how the auction goes.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    @stickguy,
    Don't knock until you've tried it. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

Yeah but it only cost $5k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    As Corvettes go, for me it’s Z06 or nothing.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2021

stickguy said:

Figure $3k to Maaco for a paint job (I think that's around what Hoovie said he paid for the Porsche), several days of fixing the wiring harness and other needed repairs plus the cost of parts, I think he mentioned that the tires were shot, etc...

It appears Elliot Alvis fixed the mechanical issues with his Malibu by installing a fresh tank of fuel, so luck sometimes plays a role.

On my short journey today, I fired up the A/C in the Tundra for the first time in months, and the compressor made very unhappy noises, but worked. I've never had that happen before on any vehicle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Depends. I mean, a 2003 C5 Z06 and 2009 C6 base model are basically a tie in the performance department. But the 2009 is going to give you a much better interior, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

well, JR doesn't pay for labor, and the primary purpose of that mutt is to generate content to try and get people to watch his channel! Paint is pretty beat. And seems that most areas of the car need attention. But the wiring harness most likely comes from J and J wrecking, and he seems to think that will fix most of the issues. and of course, all the consumables need doing. Wrenching yourself, definitely helps!

Good video from The Car Wizard on diagnosing and repairing electrical drain issues, which also goes into disabling nonessential features when it's not cost effective to repair them. He doesn't mention it, but I am guessing you can just buy leads for a conventional multimeter that are like the ones he uses with the Amp Hound to connect to fuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEYGmSn01Bw
    Guess I haven’t given an update in a while. Benz still lies dormant. The whole driver’s side of cylinders is misfiring and I have no idea why. I have rechecked the timing and it is good. Rechecked connections. Fuses. And miscellaneous other things. Have several codes that don’t make sense to me (meaning the combo of codes has yet to reveal the cause to me). I am getting damned close to sending it to a *gasp* mechanic. Ugh!!!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Maybe make a trip up to Chicago for Legitstreetcars to have a look? He used to be an MB mechanic.

I'm watching Line of Duty on Amazon Prime. It's a British drama series about a fictional (I think) anticorruption unit in the British police force. It's weird to see officers being assigned Jaguars, Volvos, etc... In 2007, I saw the Chief Justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court driving a Crown Vic, which I assume was issued by the state.
    I had the same idea about sending it to Alex! He is currently doing a CLS 63 I think, the twin turbo Hoovie mobile from Car Trek, where he pulled the engine entirely out of the car and has dismantled the top end to get to some O ring to replace it. Supposed to be about a 10K job if you take it to a pro (I assume dealer, but might have been the indy price). With a parts cost of $.10. Terrifying to see how complicated it is, and how many parts had to come off. They are spread all over the garage.

Having the NA V8 instead of the TT V12 should make it a walk in the park. Maybe send it to the Car Wizard instead. they should be able to sort it out in no time!

corvette said:

stickguy said:

Yup, and his barely runs and drives. I think he paid $5k, and it needs a paint job in addition to lots of other attention. $12.5k for a mostly sorted one seems like a bargain in comparison.
    Okay, yes. In comparison, it does.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2021
    qbrozen said:

Guess I haven’t given an update in a while. Benz still lies dormant. The whole driver’s side of cylinders is misfiring and I have no idea why. I have rechecked the timing and it is good. Rechecked connections. Fuses. And miscellaneous other things. Have several codes that don’t make sense to me (meaning the combo of codes has yet to reveal the cause to me). I am getting damned close to sending it to a *gasp* mechanic. Ugh!!!

I have no idea about the wiring on these. What's the likelihood that you have a short either in the lead to the coil pack, or perhaps a hairline crack in the coil pack itself that is allowing for internal arcing? If this has multiple coil packs (I would think at least one for each bank), you may be able to swap the hardware side-to-side to see if it causes the issue to move to the other bank or no change.

I have heard that the driver on the ECU can sometimes go bad and result in signal failure to the coils, but I would think that to be very unlikely, and I have no idea if this is a "thing" on MB of that era. I remember watching a vid from cardoc a long time back where he was using an oscilloscope (sp?) to check for misfires.
    qbrozen said:

Depends. I mean, a 2003 C5 Z06 and 2009 C6 base model are basically a tie in the performance department. But the 2009 is going to give you a much better interior, too.
    Well, this is @roadburner. What he really means is ZR1 or nothing. ;)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

Figure $3k to Maaco for a paint job (I think that's around what Hoovie said he paid for the Porsche), several days of fixing the wiring harness and other needed repairs plus the cost of parts, I think he mentioned that the tires were shot, etc...

It appears Elliot Alvis fixed the mechanical issues with his Malibu by installing a fresh tank of fuel, so luck sometimes plays a role.

On my short journey today, I fired up the A/C in the Tundra for the first time in months, and the compressor made very unhappy noises, but worked. I've never had that happen before on any vehicle.
    That’s a Toyota thing. All three of mine did that if you didn’t use the AC for awhile. (2000 Solara, 03 and 06 Avalon’s).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited March 2021
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

I have no idea about the wiring on these. What's the likelihood that you have a short either in the lead to the coil pack, or perhaps a hairline crack in the coil pack itself that is allowing for internal arcing? If this has multiple coil packs (I would think at least one for each bank), you may be able to swap the hardware side-to-side to see if it causes the issue to move to the other bank or no change.

I have heard that the driver on the ECU can sometimes go bad and result in signal failure to the coils, but I would think that to be very unlikely, and I have no idea if this is a "thing" on MB of that era. I remember watching a vid from cardoc a long time back where he was using an oscilloscope (sp?) to check for misfires.
    Coil on top of each plug.

I keep thinking it is a vacuum thing. But the codes are so weird. One of them claims the O2 sensor signals are swapped. I never touched the O2 sensors nor, to the best of my knowledge, touched any wiring related to them.

I posted all the details on MBworld, but so far no useful reply.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    corvette said:

The color isn’t awful to me and with a good detail, shines up to look nice. Its the overall condition that concerns me. Obviously was kept outside for a significant period of time so that begs the question of what else was neglected if the PO left a once nice and expensive car outside, they likely didn’t maintain it well at all.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Auction on this one ends today. Should be really interesting in about 8 hours...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-honda-prelude-18/

Already up where it would be hard for me to justify, since it’s debatable if it would be good for DD use, instead of kept as a weekend toy.

I decided I need a cheap, 6 month lease on a non full sized PU. Car makers should jump on offering those.

I actually have gotten fixated on having one though now as the best 2nd car option. Between getting the baby to Boston, wanting to divest some of our crap Junk Prized possessions to our son and elsewhere, while making an attempt to get the place eventually ready to sell, it seems really useful. Plus I need to get a new gas grill, which seems like enough justification to me!

The brief time I owned the Nissan in 1990, it was very useful. I bought it right as we were buying our first real house. Got lots of bulky and dirty stuff with that.

Too bad used ones are absurdly overpriced. A nice used one would be perfectly fine, if cheap leases aren’t happening.

stickguy said:

I decided I need a cheap, 6 month lease on a non full sized PU. Car makers should jump on offering those.

Well the answer is of course Tacoma, Tacoma and Tacoma. I don’t think the Ranger or Colorado/Canyon lease particularly well. No idea on the Frontier but its due for replacement as its ancient and hasn’t been as well upgraded as the Tacoma. If its for occasional use you may not care if the deal is good enough. But my thought is the residuals are non-existent. 6 month lease? Well, a man can dream :smile: 2 years goes by before you know it though.

If you could stomach a full sized you could drive it for 2 years and probably lose very little. Heck a friend is getting quotes on his 2019 2wd Ranger Sport thats putting 1800-2000 in his pocket.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The typical Tacoma has so little cargo capacity, for such a long truck. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

There’s always the Tundra. Better snatch one of those up before the next gen comes about and kills the deals.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    When the first wife and I had the Isuzu P'up, we had regular requests to borrow it.

I'm not sure we used it all that much as a truck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Around here most hold nothing but some stickers boasting of outdoors exploits (what's the point of any of it if you can't show it off?), groceries, or at most, a bicycle now and then.

Thinking of that, my brother's old S10 is getting to the point where he wants to cut it loose and get something else. Of course, he's eyeing a Tacoma - not a new one, he's already remarking about the insane used prices.
    kyfdx said:

The typical Tacoma has so little cargo capacity, for such a long truck. :(

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    au1994 said:

There’s always the Tundra. Better snatch one of those up before the next gen comes about and kills the deals.

If you can find one. Inventory is pretty thin around here.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I really want something the size of the Maverick. Too bad that isn’t out yet.

If we didn’t already have a nice family travel car, I’d try to push the wife into a Ridgeline!