Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    Everyone knows a Ridgeline is just a modified Odyssey underneath.
    FWD basis is not great for carrying loads out back in the bed or using a trailer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    what's the difference to any other AWD pickup? They are all nose heavy anyway. That I remember from cresting a hill on a wet road with mine!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Saw this listing. thought I could become the next OldFarmer. This looked like a killer deal, until I realized it is just some empty land and the nice house and workshop weren't included! but 55 acres, should have room for one heck of a big garage!

Interesting location. Out in the country, and it is only 4 miles from my son's house in Albany and the University.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Krumkill+Rd,+STUYVSNT+PLZ,+NY+12203/54+Hawthorne+Avenue,+Albany,+NY/@42.6710801,-73.847845,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89de753f0886e337:0xfc2cc4b2b159ecb!2m2!1d-73.8621854!2d42.6664358!1m5!1m1!1s0x89de0b010835e977:0xa976019d500891b2!2m2!1d-73.798689!2d42.6728922

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    stickguy said:

au1994 said:

this should be the next topic since dishwashers if kaput...

1.favorite car owned

2. favorite car that 'got away'-- or which one of Breld car would we have kept

B)

au1994 said:

It’s funny, we all have ‘the one that got away’ or ‘the one I should not have sold’. I think we need a new category: ‘The one of @breld’s that I would not have sold’. The Polestar would be it for me.

The ZHP is my favorite and the one I should not have sold. That still keeps me up at night when I see a good one pop up on BaT or the owners here mention them.
    My 4 year old told me yesterday that he wants to drive the ZHP when he's older. I'm so proud.
    I would be happy to drive your ZHP when I am older. Or at my current age. Hey, I am almost a senior citizen so I am sure I will baby it (though I am younger than RoadBurner, so maybe that isn't a good gauge)
    @pensfan83 is now driving my ZHP. I had to wait for him to grow up, first, too. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Pickups are RWD based, so weight out back increases traction on the drive axle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Pickups are RWD based, so weight out back increases traction on the drive axle.

but they are still nose heavy. And the Ridgeline is FT AWD, so the backend is going to be getting traction. For normal hauling duties it is just fine.

If you want to drop a ton+ of gravel in the bed, or tow a horse trailer, then yes you probably need an F250.

qbrozen said:
    they have a ton of listings now. Need to take an assortment to keep the churn going! That is a pretty cool piece at least.

saw this one earlier (Dennis Collins has a YouTube channel for his Jeep business). A real time capsule piece. Already at a nose bleed price. Really curious to see how high this thing goes. 6 figures?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-chevrolet-blazer-4/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRoHc62kPo

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited March 2021
    But it was not all that long ago I submitted my dad’s truck, which is a far more desirable combination than that Silverado.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

Just kidding, a low power A to B car is probably the best even if the kid hates you.

We bought my stepson a used Geo Tracker with all of 98HP when he turned 16. Owned by a retired GM executive, around 60,000 miles on it.

He had it 5 weeks before he totaled it, speeding on a dirt road.

Any car has enough HP for kids to do something stupid in.
    This. I did some of my stupidest stuff in an 89 Grand Marquis with all of 160 HP.
    I 99% agree, but both the S4 and TTS get going so fast so quickly that I wonder if the extra time it takes something like a 132 HP Neon to get up to speed is just enough to prevent "reckless" speeds absent a mile long or more runway.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    venture said:

xwesx said:

breld said:

Went shopping today for my son - probably not purchasing for another month or two, but figured he should start looking at options.

For today, we looked at a 2019 CRV EX-L, 2018 RDX Tech, 2020 VW Tiguan SE and a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring.

Interesting to hear my son's thoughts, as he's not exactly a car enthusiast. I told him to focus on seating position (comfort) and just general driving feel.

Dang! I may end up posting a similar starting comment at some point, "we went shopping for my son," but then I'll be following that up with, "we looked at an assortment of '90s metal and a few '00s; everything in the $2-3K range..."

I wish my son was interested in cars but he views them simply as transportation. I use him as an excuse to go shopping for what I like because I know it won’t make any difference to him.
    I have to friends who are dyed in the wool car nuts- but their sons couldn't care less. One of them picked up a new Cayman and offered to let his son drive it home- and the son declined. My son isn't as car-crazy as I am, but at least he's interested in them.
    My son started out pretty interested in cars. His cars after college were: BMW 3 series coupe, Acura TSX, VW GTI. He bought the GTI right after getting married.

Then the kid came. He traded the GTI for a Land Rover.
    Land Rover? Hmmm.... Might as well get a Minivan and be done with it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    qbrozen said:

But it was not all that long ago I submitted my dad’s truck, which is a far more desirable combination than that Silverado.

I just can't believe a K2500 stickered for $30k in 1998. I never looked at them at the time, but I can remember looking at K1500 extended cabs, and I could swear they were around $27k with cloth or $29k with leather. It's hard for me to fathom that the beefier K2500 with a 454 was priced so closely.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @andres3 -

How has the Tiguan been for you? I was actually surprised when my son asked about VWs, and he ended up really liking the test drive of the Tiguan.

Seems like the main knock on it is the lack of grunt. But for day to day driving, and most certainly for a young driver, I assume it’s more than adequate.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

@andres3 -

How has the Tiguan been for you? I was actually surprised when my son asked about VWs, and he ended up really liking the test drive of the Tiguan.

Seems like the main knock on it is the lack of grunt. But for day to day driving, and most certainly for a young driver, I assume it’s more than adequate.

Wife says she's "fine" with it. She gets some grunt out of it; you just have to rev and spin the engine and waste some fuel to get it, and you only "get it" in limited amounts due to the weight/size. For whatever reason she found the 4-Motion AWD more responsive off the line. I don't think CR thinks too highly of the Tiguan reliability, but ours hasn't been back to the dealership for any warranty work yet..... (knocking on wood).....

One annoying tweak is that even the pricier SEL line doesn't guarantee you Fender Audio anymore. The interior is both nice and roomy though; I particularly like the "gray" interior we chose. Gauge HD screen cluster in the SEL is a nice "luxury" tweak for a VW though. The size and space is right for passengers and cargo though. If it was mine I'd have to tune it, but my wife is OK with it. The other pro is it seemed quiet and stable on a long highway trip up to Monterey even at 85 MPH.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

Saw this listing. thought I could become the next OldFarmer. This looked like a killer deal, until I realized it is just some empty land and the nice house and workshop weren't included! but 55 acres, should have room for one heck of a big garage!

Interesting location. Out in the country, and it is only 4 miles from my son's house in Albany and the University.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Krumkill+Rd,+STUYVSNT+PLZ,+NY+12203/54+Hawthorne+Avenue,+Albany,+NY/@42.6710801,-73.847845,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89de753f0886e337:0xfc2cc4b2b159ecb!2m2!1d-73.8621854!2d42.6664358!1m5!1m1!1s0x89de0b010835e977:0xa976019d500891b2!2m2!1d-73.798689!2d42.6728922

Does that parcel have any road frontage? Looks like it could be a bunch of ravine land backing up to the Normanskill. Depending on elevation it might be in the flood plain and therefore unbuildable.

The soil is pretty sandy over there so you should be ok with a septic system (I don’t think that area has sewers).

Have you asked yourself why land only 4 miles from the city was selling for about 25% of the going rate?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Is the Colorado contingent of CCBAers all safe? Not sure who lives near Boulder.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084

Is the Colorado contingent of CCBAers all safe? Not sure who lives near Boulder.

We're good - @breld and I are on the other side of town. @jpp75 is in downtown Denver.

I've got a cousin who lives about 10 miles from the scene - she and her family are OK.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Thank goodness.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

Baby did a bad, bad thing...

Give! I’m guessing A7.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

qbrozen said:
    There are some real head scratchers that they accept now. I guess its relatively low miles for a 98? That about all I can see as most would have been miled up as tow vehicles or worked to death when trucks were actually work vehicles.

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:
    they have a ton of listings now. Need to take an assortment to keep the churn going! That is a pretty cool piece at least.

saw this one earlier (Dennis Collins has a YouTube channel for his Jeep business). A real time capsule piece. Already at a nose bleed price. Really curious to see how high this thing goes. 6 figures?

This is his thing now...super low mile SUV;s and trucks of this vintage that he restores and gets stratospheric prices on. Great work if you can get it and helps if you already own a Jeep business and have access to the tools and craftsmen needed to do it.

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

You’re going to pay dearly for the flavor of the month and those things are the latest “in” collectible. From what I’ve seen of rust issues with those on restoration shows, I’d go over that with a magnet before bidding in case it’s more Bondo than truck.

Why not buy something less trendy like an Aztec and wait for it to become popular? WatchJrgo did that recently.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The 400 was not a highly regarded engine.
    I'm sure that Blazer is quite nice.
    No reason for Dennis Collins to sell something with a junk body.
    I haven’t taken the time to watch the video to see if he addresses rust but Dennis Collins is pretty well known in the collector car world and runs a very successful Jeep aftermarket parts business so I’d like to THINK he wouldn’t risk his reputation on selling a bondo mobile at these prices but yes, at the end of the day its an old Blazer from Minnesota. Trust but verify.

edited March 2021
    stickguy said:

I agree about used PUs. Every time I get this idea, I go on cars. com to look, and immediately give up. Would probably have to get new, and since those are very pricey, that leaves leasing.

A FS cargo van is too big for my taste. And the wife would never go for that in the garage. But a Transit connect, that could work! But only if it can tow, which I doubt it really can.

Just on quick perusal it seems the Transit connect can tow 2000lbs. while carrying about 1500lbs. of cargo. Cheapest new ones are about $25k.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/coeymans-2016-ford-transit-connect-xlt/7280855942.html

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    andres3 said:

venture said:

xwesx said:

breld said:

Went shopping today for my son - probably not purchasing for another month or two, but figured he should start looking at options.

For today, we looked at a 2019 CRV EX-L, 2018 RDX Tech, 2020 VW Tiguan SE and a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring.

Interesting to hear my son's thoughts, as he's not exactly a car enthusiast. I told him to focus on seating position (comfort) and just general driving feel.

Dang! I may end up posting a similar starting comment at some point, "we went shopping for my son," but then I'll be following that up with, "we looked at an assortment of '90s metal and a few '00s; everything in the $2-3K range..."

I wish my son was interested in cars but he views them simply as transportation. I use him as an excuse to go shopping for what I like because I know it won’t make any difference to him.
    I have to friends who are dyed in the wool car nuts- but their sons couldn't care less. One of them picked up a new Cayman and offered to let his son drive it home- and the son declined. My son isn't as car-crazy as I am, but at least he's interested in them.
    My son started out pretty interested in cars. His cars after college were: BMW 3 series coupe, Acura TSX, VW GTI. He bought the GTI right after getting married.

Then the kid came. He traded the GTI for a Land Rover.
    Land Rover? Hmmm.... Might as well get a Minivan and be done with it.
    That was the point.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

He said the blazer had zero rust they also did a full high end repaint so know for sure. Came out of a collection so likely never saw salt, with only 28k miles on it.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @laurasdada ......We’re waiting......tick-tock!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Just got latest car and driver and a Ezra Dyers column is about the new Pacifica hybrid he just bought to replace an MKX (or T, the one that looks like a hearse). And how much they love it.

Honda's VTM4 system works if slippage is detected or if locked, works in 1 and 2 gear only.
    It pretty much only works at low speeds, which is what it was designed for.
    Here’s a really good review/test on one. And these are hard core truck guys, who give it props. Given that if I ever towed it would be a utility trailer or small U haul box, it is more than up to the job. Plus 1,600# payload.

So like they say, for people that aren’t towing big loads frequently, or taking a new $$ truck out rock crawling, it’s a great package.

Actually sounds like it would do everything Bradd’s Tacoma does for him. But much more comfortable. Assuming his ego can take it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0c8gS8P2Ag

The Classic Cars article that I mentioned earlier has got me thinking about getting a V8 before the eco-weenies succeed in eradicating them. As newer cars go I like th Challenger SRT but I don’t want something so big and heavy. Mustangs leave me cold. A Camaro 2SS 1LE would work but they are thin on the ground. I know the BMW twin turbo V8s are maintenance intensive and are only installed in the big sleds.

Which leads me to today; I took the Clubman to my BMW dealer for a brake fluid flush and a coolant change. While I was there I asked my friend(and SA) about the S65 V8 found in the E9x M3s. He said that the rod bearing issue is completely overblown- the few times that he’s seen it the cause has been neglect or abuse. He thinks that the engine is solid.
    So that’s got me thinking; an E92 M3 is a tick faster than the M235i, and it’s nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve. Find a nice one and I could probably drive it fo several years without taking a depreciation hit. And enjoying that delicious V8 rumble all the time.
    Food for thought...

Why not go straight for an E60 M5 with the V10. B)

I don't necessarily agree that the rod bearings are overblown on those V8s or V10s as they will almost certainly grenade the engine if previous owners haven't been religious about keeping the car up and at this age, unfortunately, not everyone is doing that. I'd consider it a maintenance item to take care of as part of ownership of that kind of car - kind of like the IMS bearing on the Porsche 996/986.
    That is the lightest trailer test I have ever seen them do.
    Basically a minivan test.
    They were complaining about the Gladiator struggling, but that was towing 7,000 lbs.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

They were complaining about the Gladiator struggling, but that was towing 7,000 lbs.

@stickguy
    How about a Gladiator? Lime green over black with some off road tires and a Life is Good sticker!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My friend doesn’t have any reason to downplay any S65 issues. He’s been very good about warning me off from particular models or engines that have chronic problems. The V10 M5 never interested me that much. I never warmed up to the E60 styling.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited March 2021
    @roadburner - if you can find an E92 M3 with low miles and good maintenance history that'd be perfect. Seems more and more difficult to find one though, and the few I've seen are priced accordingly. But not telling you anything you don't already know.

I found this video interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGDNzMLfSBY

On a separate note, what do you think of the "M Performance Edition" M240i, like this:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808350

I know it's all cosmetics, but I like the look. As limited a run as they were, there are a few out there available and there doesn't seem to be much of a premium for them over a "standard" M240i.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited March 2021

The Classic Cars article that I mentioned earlier has got me thinking about getting a V8 before the eco-weenies succeed in eradicating them. As newer cars go I like th Challenger SRT but I don’t want something so big and heavy. Mustangs leave me cold. A Camaro 2SS 1LE would work but they are thin on the ground. I know the BMW twin turbo V8s are maintenance intensive and are only installed in the big sleds.

Which leads me to today; I took the Clubman to my BMW dealer for a brake fluid flush and a coolant change. While I was there I asked my friend(and SA) about the S65 V8 found in the E9x M3s. He said that the rod bearing issue is completely overblown- the few times that he’s seen it the cause has been neglect or abuse. He thinks that the engine is solid.
    So that’s got me thinking; an E92 M3 is a tick faster than the M235i, and it’s nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve. Find a nice one and I could probably drive it fo several years without taking a depreciation hit. And enjoying that delicious V8 rumble all the time.
    Food for thought...

I think the various forums will scare anyone to death professing the car they own or want to buy is a ticking time bomb. Some cars are truly problematic but I believe they really are the exception. Proper maintenance is a must.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The problem is being positive about that prior maintenance. Even trickier if it’s something not really findable in a PPI.

tjc78 said:

@stickguy
    How about a Gladiator? Lime green over black with some off road tires and a Life is Good sticker!
    Not my thing. Every review I have seen, outside of the “it’s cool” aspect, hasn’t really been complimentary. And most of the real negative aspects are things that would bother us the most. Plus they are expensive! If I was getting a Jeep, I’d do it right with a 2 door Wrangler. Which, really would not solve any of my problems!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    sda said:

Food for thought...

I think the various forums will scare anyone to death professing the car they own or want to buy is a ticking time bomb. Some cars are truly problematic but I believe they really are the exception. Proper maintenance is a must.
    Everything I’ve heard/read indicates that the rod bearing issue affects a very small percentage of S65 motors. For me it’s worth the risk. I can almost certainly pick up a nice E92 for at least $10k-$15k less than an M2C or Supra 3.0 Premium- and replacing the rod bearings with upgraded parts should run less than $3.5k. And that’s not factoring in depreciation.
    Again, I’m in no hurry- it’s just another intriguing option.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

@stickguy
    Not my thing. Every review I have seen, outside of the “it’s cool” aspect, hasn’t really been complimentary. And most of the real negative aspects are things that would bother us the most. Plus they are expensive! If I was getting a Jeep, I’d do it right with a 2 door Wrangler. Which, really would not solve any of my problems!
    I’d like to give one a test drive someday. They absolutely look cool but I’ll admit as some angles the bed looks a little tacked on as an after thought. Pricing is typical Jeep and forget used, might as well buy new for those prices. With a Jeep of any iteration you have to know what you are getting into. If you do and are ok with it, you will likely be in love from the test drive. But if you are cross shopping a Ridgeline and Gladiator I’d venture that you’ll be disappointed if a (relatively) good ride and interior are high on your list.

I’d do another 2 door Wrangler soft top but only if it was truly my spare vehicle.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited March 2021
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

@stickguy
    I’m sure it’s one of those vehicles that one would tire of quickly.

At our campground there must be at least five of them in there. Very popular.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited March 2021
    au1994 said:

I haven’t taken the time to watch the video to see if he addresses rust but Dennis Collins is pretty well known in the collector car world and runs a very successful Jeep aftermarket parts business so I’d like to THINK he wouldn’t risk his reputation on selling a bondo mobile at these prices but yes, at the end of the day its an old Blazer from Minnesota. Trust but verify.

I knew I’d heard that name somewhere. That’s Dennis from Fast & Loud, right? From what I saw on that show he’s an avid car collector.

I also remember Richard Rawlings rebuilding a Bronco that was more rust than metal.

au1994 said:

I knew I’d heard that name somewhere. That’s Dennis from Fast & Loud, right? From what I saw on that show he’s an avid car collector.

I also remember Richard Rawlings rebuilding a Bronco that was more rust than metal.
    Yes, he and Richard go way back. He’s a big time Mustang guy but has some decent knowledge across the board.

I remember the Bronco episode. By the time they media blasted it and saw the Swiss cheese, they ended up rebodying it if I recall.

Man, @laurasdada with the ultimate tease...

Man, @laurasdada with the ultimate tease...

No joke!!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

Favorite car(s): tie between my '65 MGB and my '73 240-Z

The one that got away: When I bought my first Miata in '91, there was a British Racing Green one on the floor with leather. I was being frugal, so carefully bought one without power steering and otherwise completely "normal." That '91 BRG Miata still haunts me, though these days I'd have trouble getting into it, let alone getting out.

Though not unique like yours, I regret selling my 92 Miata 'A' package after I married. Fun, fun car. I didn't need 3 cars. I bought the Miata used with 40k in 96. Sold it in 98 with 47k. I didn't care for the pin stripes but they were on it when bought it and seemed securely attached so I didn't try to remove them in fear of damaging the paint.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Regarding laurasdada, maybe remorse or retribution kicked in. ;)