Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    says right at the bottom, down payment $4,000

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    henryn said:

Didn't I just see this in a movie? Yeah, it even won several academy awards!

I must admit, I'm stumped on that one! However, it sounds like a good movie; at least, if it was a biopic of one of my early jaunts in the Econoline, it would have been quite entertaining!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2021

xwesx said:

. . . just in case the border agents raise a stink. . .

What's the current deal driving from AK to the lower 48, or the other way around?

Last I heard the borders were closed and, unless you were a Canadian citizen, you weren't getting in. Then if you were (as I am), you have to cool your heels for two weeks at astronomical expense to prove that you were worthy.

Gotta love the drama teacher. His dad wasn't so bad, but jeez. . .

I don't know. However, the information I'm hearing is that Alaskans may pass through as long as they keep to themselves and don't dally (that's the essence of it). And, by July? I'm not even worried about it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Sidenote - do we know what this 'Member' means?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Probably should have said wrong answers only, but this is a family show.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Rock salt? No wonder your vehicles rust away. :p

Sealed bags. In upstate NY you can get all the rust you need from the outside.
    The only trick is that you need to keep adding another bag every couple of years to make up for the lost steel that flakes off and ends up on the road! Otherwise, your total weight steadily drops (and so does your traction).
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    carnaught said:

breld said:

This is the only picture I could find of the Polestar 2 in the Thunder exterior and the 20" wheels. Hard to really see the wheels at this angle, but I test drove 3 different models and got to see the wheel options in person and definitely liked these ones the best. Enough to give up any additional comfort in ride quality over the standard 19" wheels (though I can't say there was much discernible difference in comfort on my limited test drive experiences).

Curious - where is the model made?
    China.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

This is the only picture I could find of the Polestar 2 in the Thunder exterior and the 20" wheels. Hard to really see the wheels at this angle, but I test drove 3 different models and got to see the wheel options in person and definitely liked these ones the best. Enough to give up any additional comfort in ride quality over the standard 19" wheels (though I can't say there was much discernible difference in comfort on my limited test drive experiences).

Looks quite elegant from that angle! I'm sure it is going to be a hoot to drive (and, hopefully, "own").

stickguy said:

I really hope I don’t need to shop until supply and demand settles out. This would be the time to have a spare old car or toy lying around!

I have several. I can share. Are you up for driving it home? :D
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    tifighter said:

Sidenote - do we know what this 'Member' means?

I have only seen “Member” labels so far. If someone appears suddenly sporting “Grand Poo-bah” badges I might get concerned.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2021
    tifighter said:

Probably should have said wrong answers only, but this is a family show.

:s

It is a funny stamp to have on the bar, for sure, because every person has the same thing other than Hosts, which, IIRC, say "Host." I would think they could have other ranks, though I imagine it is just a Vanilla forum feature that Edmunds basically doesn't use.
    xwesx said:

breld said:

Looks quite elegant from that angle! I'm sure it is going to be a hoot to drive (and, hopefully, "own").

Thanks! Truthfully, if Volvo made an all electric version of the S60, I'd prefer that as I love that design.

I don't know if it's because the Polestar is on the XC40 platform, but it has a raised look at it, like the old S60 Cross Country or the Outback sedan. It's slightly awkward, but the higher position does make for a more comfortable ingress/egress.

they are "moderators"

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I really hope I don’t need to shop until supply and demand settles out. This would be the time to have a spare old car or toy lying around!

I think that might be a bit past my tolerance these days. Maybe the Q7 would be comfy enough. If you can guarantee it won't break!

one of the Youtube guys (Vermonter) posted a video recently of driving from Vermont to Fairbanks. In March I think. Lot of snow in that trip! IIRC the only place they could cross into Canada was in N. Dakota. Going from Canada to Alaska seemed to be no problem. Not sure how they are getting back though.

breld said:

Thanks! Truthfully, if Volvo made an all electric version of the S60, I'd prefer that as I love that design.

I don't know if it's because the Polestar is on the XC40 platform, but it has a raised look at it, like the old S60 Cross Country or the Outback sedan. It's slightly awkward, but the higher position does make for a more comfortable ingress/egress.

Sidenote: Thanks for clarifying, @stickguy !

With the the electric platform, presumably flat across the bottom of the car like most other electrics, I think they can get away with more uprightness without sacrificing handling as much due to the extremely low center of gravity. More Subaru, than Subaru! LOL

From the angle of that photo, though, it doesn't look awkwardly tall.

Some cars work better in "tall" form than others. With Crosstrek / Impreza, I feel like the Impreza looks like it has its legs chopped off just because of the big wheel openings and long, slab sides hanging down so close to the ground. The Crosstrek is much better balanced in appearance. For Volvos, the S vs. XC variants may not have the same mileage....
  • rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    @breld - Congrats on the Polestar deal! Given that we know that you will likely only be keeping it for 12-18 months, maybe one of us will scoop it up when you inevitably get bored (which I fully support your habit) B)
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    I suppose I can cancel my reservations/orders for the Rivian and Tesla.

Or...should I? :p

edited April 2021
    stickguy said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I think that might be a bit past my tolerance these days. Maybe the Q7 would be comfy enough. If you can guarantee it won't break!

one of the Youtube guys (Vermonter) posted a video recently of driving from Vermont to Fairbanks. In March I think. Lot of snow in that trip! IIRC the only place they could cross into Canada was in N. Dakota. Going from Canada to Alaska seemed to be no problem. Not sure how they are getting back though.
    March! Yeah, wicked snow in March this year. My back *still* hurts! Haha.

"Guarantee" it won't break? You're such a laugh! But, since I just had it fixed a thousand miles ago, chances are pretty good for it to hold out. I'm betting on it not breaking, anyway, because I'm planning to drive it around 10,000 miles between July and September, and much of that may be pulling a trailer as well.
    edited April 2021
    breld said:

I suppose I can cancel my reservations/orders for the Rivian and Tesla.

Or...should I? :p

I vote "no." It's only a few more months! Plus, your wife and kids may want one (or two) after they get some seat time in the Volvo....
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    Just push out the Tesla and then you can swap the Polestar for the Tesla. :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

That $549/month advertised deal includes a $4,000 down payment from the lessor (I made no down payment).

Hmmm...mine doesn’t have that. I posted all the fine print. No DP. I wonder if NJ is that drastically different from CO.

Unless what you are looking at includes those fees I talked about and your taxes.

That could be with everything, though, like I suggested. I don't see any asterisk or fine print about extra charges and fees.

But, regardless, we're getting away from the point, which is YOUR deal is most certainly not $7500 less. It COULD be they are passing along only a portion of the fed incentive to most lessors, and you are benefiting from an error that gave you an extra $xxxx. But not a full $7500 benefit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

That $549/month advertised deal includes a $4,000 down payment from the lessor (I made no down payment).

Hmmm...mine doesn’t have that. I posted all the fine print. No DP. I wonder if NJ is that drastically different from CO.

Unless what you are looking at includes those fees I talked about and your taxes.

That could be with everything, though, like I suggested. I don't see any asterisk or fine print about extra charges and fees.

But, regardless, we're getting away from the point, which is YOUR deal is most certainly not $7500 less. It COULD be they are passing along only a portion of the fed incentive to most lessors, and you are benefiting from an error that gave you an extra $xxxx. But not a full $7500 benefit.
    $4000 less upfront
    $1500 more in payments for $4000 higher MSRP
    Plus acquisition fee and taxes.

Looks to me like he got the full $7500 benefit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    xwesx said:

The only trick is that you need to keep adding another bag every couple of years to make up for the lost steel that flakes off and ends up on the road! Otherwise, your total weight steadily drops (and so does your traction).
    LOL, yes but at some point anything you put in the back will drop through the rust holes so it’s an exercise in futility.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,346
    breld said:

So I just signed the paperwork for my lease of the Polestar 2. I should take delivery of it in the next week or so.

If you don’t remember, I was the first customer to step into the Polestar Denver “space” to take a closer look. My interest was already at a high level, but being there and speaking with the salesman and manager convinced me to place their first order.

What was also motivating was the lease estimate the manager provided was way lower than I expected, as they included the $7,500 fed tax incentive as a rebate. I was skeptical of that, as my understanding was the tax incentive was baked into the residual - 63% for a 39 month lease. I asked the question, but the sales manager was certain that the incentive was a rebate off the cap cost.

So for weeks now I was just waiting for them to come back and tell me of the error, apologize profusely and then offer some reasonable incentive for me to keep the order (like $1-2k off).

First the sales manager provided me with a draft of the lease contract - $7,500 rebate included. Then Sunday I was provided with most of the sales documents in docusign form - the lease terms included the $7,500 rebate. And today I received via FedEx the final lease contract...$7,500 rebate included.

I called her to ask about some other questions, and she ended up confessing to me that she was told by Polestar (Volvo Finance I imagine?) the $7,500 was accounted for in the residual, and they were questioning why it was shown as a rebate. According to her, she insisted that is what she had promised the buyer all this time and they agreed to honor it.

Not gonna lie - I feel a little guilty like I got away with something. But I actually asked a few times about the $7,500 rebate, to the point that I was afraid I was insulting the manager and her firm belief that it was included as a rebate (she came from the dealership network’s Audi store, where that is how it was treated).

Don't feel guilty; you asked and they didn't know. It's not your job to prepare their lease contracts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

$4000 less upfront
    $1500 more in payments for $4000 higher MSRP
    Plus acquisition fee and taxes.

Looks to me like he got the full $7500 benefit.
    buuuuttt... we don't have proof that the $4k doesn't include fees and taxes. I'm certainly not going to click to follow through with the lease to find out.

And I'm not really following the math. As I calculated before, the higher MSRP and greater miles is about $1600 difference. Fees maybe another $1200. @breld 's monthly didn't include taxes, so we can leave that out of it. If we forget the fine print on the advertised deal makes no mention of a DP and assume the calculator that claims DP is missing the fine print to add fees, we could, in the extreme, say there is $6800 missing between the 549 ad and breld's 563 payment. That $14/mo is roughly $500 cap. So $6300 difference ... IF the ad indeed involves a mystery $4k DP on top of the other stuff mentioned in the fine print.

Please note, I'm taking NOTHING away from breld's deal. I already said it is great. I'm just questioning the sincerity of the sales crew.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    @qbrozen

buuuuttt... we don't have proof that the $4k doesn't include fees and taxes.

:D:D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978

breld said:

So I just signed the paperwork for my lease of the Polestar 2. I should take delivery of it in the next week or so.

If you don’t remember, I was the first customer to step into the Polestar Denver “space” to take a closer look. My interest was already at a high level, but being there and speaking with the salesman and manager convinced me to place their first order.

What was also motivating was the lease estimate the manager provided was way lower than I expected, as they included the $7,500 fed tax incentive as a rebate. I was skeptical of that, as my understanding was the tax incentive was baked into the residual - 63% for a 39 month lease. I asked the question, but the sales manager was certain that the incentive was a rebate off the cap cost.

So for weeks now I was just waiting for them to come back and tell me of the error, apologize profusely and then offer some reasonable incentive for me to keep the order (like $1-2k off).

First the sales manager provided me with a draft of the lease contract - $7,500 rebate included. Then Sunday I was provided with most of the sales documents in docusign form - the lease terms included the $7,500 rebate. And today I received via FedEx the final lease contract...$7,500 rebate included.

I called her to ask about some other questions, and she ended up confessing to me that she was told by Polestar (Volvo Finance I imagine?) the $7,500 was accounted for in the residual, and they were questioning why it was shown as a rebate. According to her, she insisted that is what she had promised the buyer all this time and they agreed to honor it.

Not gonna lie - I feel a little guilty like I got away with something. But I actually asked a few times about the $7,500 rebate, to the point that I was afraid I was insulting the manager and her firm belief that it was included as a rebate (she came from the dealership network’s Audi store, where that is how it was treated).

Don't feel guilty; you asked and they didn't know. It's not your job to prepare their lease contracts.
    I've known, since @breld placed the order, that this was likely going to happen. The RV was way too high for there to be an incentive to represent the tax credit - banks will do one or the other, but not both.

The lease incentives on the Audi e-Tron, for example, are between $12-15K, based on region and trim. But, the 36/10 residual is 49% (Premium or Prem+ trim) or 45% (Prestige trim). On a vehicle with an MSRP north of $60K, that difference in residual is huge, and the incentive makes up the difference.

Volvo / Polestar was under no obligation to honor the incentive, but I suspect they did so for goodwill purposes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Alrighty - I was resisting the urge to do this, but I'm an accountant and like reconciliations...

My car, at an MSRP of $63,900, 39 month lease, 12k miles/year, $0 down:

You'll have to take my word for it that if you click through to "continue with lease" the payment goes up by $26, as it appears the $995 acquisition fee is not included. Here's my "leasing" spreadsheet to prove out the payment, as I am always compelled to do that with lease quotes:

Bear with me...

"Standard" lease deal on their website = $726/month versus my $563/month.

$163/month x 39 payments = $6,357

Negative equity rolled in = 632

Sales tax on rebates = 704

All adds up to about $7,500 (not exactly due to the interest included in those payments, right?).

Now, Q, you didn't know about those last two items...I didn't go into them, not because I was trying to conceal anything, but I wasn't trying to get too much into the weeds on the deal, and they're irrelevant to the deal itself.

So yes, the $7,500 rebate is reflected (net of taxes on said rebate) in lower payments and covering a bit of negative equity.

edited April 2021
    For what it's worth, I never would have committed to a $726/month lease payment. At a minimum I would have put down $1,500 for the state tax rebate I will receive and would also have paid for the negative equity (cause, well, that's my issue).

But given the generous rebate, I just went with the $0 down approach. The $1,500 tax credit next year will be a nice little bonus.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    edited April 2021
    @breld - thanks for the detailed explanation (it helps educate those of us who only occasionally lease). It looks like you got an incredible deal!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    @breld,
    Really like that blue and looking forward to your impressions of driving the Polestar.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Initial impressions on moving from the 2016 Town and Country to the 2019 Pacifica.

1) It feels peppier. I’m guessing this is mainly due to the 9 speed transmission, as the engine is very similar.

2) It is quieter inside. A noticeable difference. When I was younger I would not have noticed or cared, but I do now.

3) The stereo sounds quite a bit better. I had upgraded the speakers in the T&C, so it would get louder and pump more bass, but it still sounded like you were inside a box. Probably because you were inside a box? The stereo in the Pacifica sounds more like you’re in a car, not an empty box.

4) The seats, seating arrangement, interior space are all quite similar. I wish the driver’s seat would go a little farther back, and a little lower, but I had exactly the same complaint about the T&C. Not bad, but could be better, for me at least.

5) I am going to have to rework the brakes. The pedal goes down a little too far before engaging, and then feels just a little mushy. The front pads look like they have been replaced, and the rotors are scored. Rear pads look original, but maybe 3/4 gone. I ordered new rotors and pads from Amazon. Total cost about $250, no big deal. I do believe in having good brakes and tires.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

5) I am going to have to rework the brakes. The pedal goes down a little too far before engaging, and then feels just a little mushy. The front pads look like they have been replaced, and the rotors are scored. Rear pads look original, but maybe 3/4 gone.

The pedal travel and mushiness sounds like air in the lines. Or, in the case of GM products from approximately the 1980s through the early 2000s, "they all do that." :p
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited April 2021
    corvette said:

henryn said:

5) I am going to have to rework the brakes. The pedal goes down a little too far before engaging, and then feels just a little mushy. The front pads look like they have been replaced, and the rotors are scored. Rear pads look original, but maybe 3/4 gone.

The pedal travel and mushiness sounds like air in the lines. Or, in the case of GM products from approximately the 1980s through the early 2000s, "they all do that." :p
    Could well be some air in the lines. I will flush / bleed the brakes while I'm in there. The T&C had the same brakes (the rotors and pads I just ordered would also fit the T&C), and the brake pedal was just fine on it.

And I picked up a second key fob this afternoon. Why is it car dealers always want to nick you 2 or 3 hundred if you don't have the second key fob, but they never have it for the car you're buying? Oh, well, I went back to the same guy I used 4 years ago when I bought the T&C. One used key fob, reprogrammed, emergency key cut, new battery, $200 cash, no receipt, thank you very much.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    @breld

Thanks for the detailed information. For some reason I thought you were saying they somehow doubled the rebate which then would have resulted in a much lower lease.

I was playing with the calculations and the math is basically what I came up with not knowing about the neg equity and that the rebate was taxed.

I always enjoy a little bit of lease calculations , lol.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

xwesx said:

LOL, yes but at some point anything you put in the back will drop through the rust holes so it’s an exercise in futility.
    Hah! So true. The bed of my truck is that way now, but with wooden planks rather than metal. I actually have a sheet of 1/2" marine plywood down over the decking because more than half of it has fully rotted away. It's getting bad now. I need to get a new bed, but I have delayed for quite some time because I wanted to replace it when I was restoring the truck rather than just continuing to use it as a truck and mucking the whole thing up again.

Now that you mention it, though, this summer would be an excellent time to buy a new bed kit. Shipping to Alaska is horrendous for something like that, but I can get it for no shipping cost at all while I'm down there, then just haul it back in the trailer or on top of the car.

@oldfarmer50, you're a genius! :D
    edited April 2021
    henryn said:

Initial impressions on moving from the 2016 Town and Country to the 2019 Pacifica.

1) It feels peppier. I’m guessing this is mainly due to the 9 speed transmission, as the engine is very similar.

2) It is quieter inside. A noticeable difference. When I was younger I would not have noticed or cared, but I do now.

3) The stereo sounds quite a bit better. I had upgraded the speakers in the T&C, so it would get louder and pump more bass, but it still sounded like you were inside a box. Probably because you were inside a box? The stereo in the Pacifica sounds more like you’re in a car, not an empty box.

4) The seats, seating arrangement, interior space are all quite similar. I wish the driver’s seat would go a little farther back, and a little lower, but I had exactly the same complaint about the T&C. Not bad, but could be better, for me at least.

5) I am going to have to rework the brakes. The pedal goes down a little too far before engaging, and then feels just a little mushy. The front pads look like they have been replaced, and the rotors are scored. Rear pads look original, but maybe 3/4 gone. I ordered new rotors and pads from Amazon. Total cost about $250, no big deal. I do believe in having good brakes and tires.

#3 - hilarious... and true!

On the brakes, it might be a good time for fluid replacement as well. As it imbibes moisture or gains air, it will get a bit "squishy." I need to do the same thing with my Q7 this year. It needs rotors more than pads, but I replaced pads three years ago... wait... FOUR years ago, and it's a pretty heavy rig.

Edit: Whoops! You and @corvette already covered that. :D
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Breld, I married a CPA and understand the logic of what you did and all. Makes total sense with your background. Every year, from January to April, she's super busy and ever since she started with TurboTax, it's a very quiet household as I kind of stay out of the way whenever I can. But she loves doing taxes, always has, and has the mind to be able to do them. She encouraged me to take an H&R Block tax class after I retired and it was really hard for me. I'd go to her for help & I could see how easy it was for her. I passed the class, just barely, but without her help, I would've been in a lot of trouble.
    I enjoyed your statement about how "ridiculous some of your decisions are" and figured of course they both know that but it must be such a blast to have had so many cool vehicles to drive over the years! Folks like me certainly get a lot of entertainment with each new purchase because think deep down, we'd all like to be able to do some of that also. I know, I've always said that if I win the lottery, I'd like a house with 7 garages so I could have a different vehicle for each day of the week. I'd be in heaven!!
    So keep up the good work and thanks for the great entertainment!! You guys rock!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,966
    henryn said:

corvette said:

henryn said:

Could well be some air in the lines. I will flush / bleed the brakes while I'm in there. The T&C had the same brakes (the rotors and pads I just ordered would also fit the T&C), and the brake pedal was just fine on it.

And I picked up a second key fob this afternoon. Why is it car dealers always want to nick you 2 or 3 hundred if you don't have the second key fob, but they never have it for the car you're buying? Oh, well, I went back to the same guy I used 4 years ago when I bought the T&C. One used key fob, reprogrammed, emergency key cut, new battery, $200 cash, no receipt, thank you very much.
    Only having one key/fob when I was told it had 2 for the Q5, I walked. About 10 minutes into my drive home the dealer called and said they would get the second key/fob. Glad I did as Audi wanted $500 for the replacement.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Does anyone know if Tesla is coming out with a smaller electric vehicle in the next year or so? A co-worker said they were but haven't heard anything. After having driven one at work, really fell in love with the whole experience and would love to own one. I know Chevy is coming out with a couple new Bolt models sometime this year.
    And is the government going to still give folks rebates for buying EV vehicles again? Think it would help defray some of the costs and make it easier for a lot of us to do so. I'd love at least a range of 300 miles but could live with at least 250. I no longer drive many miles per week so I'm a great candidate to own an EV vehicle going forward. Sure, the electric bill at home will go up some but think there would be an overall $ savings between the cost savings of not buying petrol and that of the extra electric costs. I for one, are willing to give it a try as long as we have one gas powered vehicle to use for those longer trips. From what I can tell, you guys seem to be very happy with an EV vehicle in the fleet.
    Lastly, how hard is it to actually buy a new Tesla vehicle anyways?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited April 2021
    Looking like the Accent will be going to be fixed on May 24th. Definitely needs a new rear drivers side tail light assembly plus the rear quarter panel on the drivers side needs to be buffed out and possibly have the new paint blended in with the existing paint. I know when I had mine done back in 2018, the shop I used did a remarkable job of blending the blue paint as they had to cut a piece of the bent metal out behind the rear door and fix that before painting. They also put a newer rear door on the car and repaint that. Looks like nothing ever happened and very pleased. They just couldn't match that one metal door edge guard so they had to use what they could find. That's the only way one can tell I had work done on the car. Betting a good paint guy could tell, but who really knows. I used a Safeco preferred shop but this time, since the other drivers insurance is covering it all, we're going to a Progressive preferred shop near the house. Hoping it'll only take about 4 days but she'll be on vacation up here anyways, so no rental will be needed.
    She has the dark gray color on her Accent which looks great when cleaned up. Hoping they just do a great job but it will be guaranteed for as long as she owns it, which was over 10 years on her last Accent.

xwesx said:

It needs rotors more than pads, but I replaced pads three years ago... wait... FOUR years ago, and it's a pretty heavy rig.

On many European brands, the rotors will be at or below minimum spec at the time the pads wear out, so they are generally replaced at the same time. Good on you if you managed to get longer out of the rotors! The used 540i I bought had new-ish brake pads, but the front rotors cracked. Never got an exact measurement from the tire shop that found the problem and replaced the rotors, but I would bet money whoever serviced the brakes just replaced the pads without checking or replacing the rotors.
    The Wichita Car Mafia must be coordinating - Elliott Alvis, 100PercentJake, and Hoovie all dropped new YouTube videos within a few minutes of each other.

I agree on Hoovie's video - in what sane world could one buy a CPO Land Rover with 3-ish years of warranty remaining, burn through a year of the precious warranty, and then theoretically be able to sell it for more than they paid?
    edited April 2021
    breld said:

Alrighty - I was resisting the urge to do this, but I'm an accountant and like reconciliations...

You'll have to take my word for it that if you click through to "continue with lease" the payment goes up by $26, as it appears the $995 acquisition fee is not included. Here's my "leasing" spreadsheet to prove out the payment, as I am always compelled to do that with lease quotes:

Bear with me...

All adds up to about $7,500 (not exactly due to the interest included in those payments, right?).

Now, Q, you didn't know about those last two items...I didn't go into them, not because I was trying to conceal anything, but I wasn't trying to get too much into the weeds on the deal, and they're irrelevant to the deal itself.

So yes, the $7,500 rebate is reflected (net of taxes on said rebate) in lower payments and covering a bit of negative equity.

Alright. Well, there ya go. Hey, I wasn't crazy, it wasn't adding up. lol.

What are you trading to them? The Leaf?

I don't think you are boasting. If you were telling us about your $3700/mo porsche, welll....

edited April 2021
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Bear with me...

Alright. Well, there ya go. Hey, I wasn't crazy, it wasn't adding up. lol.

What are you trading to them? The Leaf?

I don't think you are boasting. If you were telling us about your $3700/mo porsche, welll....
    I’m actually trading the X3 - I like it plenty, but am fine hitting the reset button on the SUV and hopefully having the patience to wait the crazy market out before I replace it.

I don’t need the Leaf, but it’s cheaper to keep it or turn it in on an early term than trading it.

sda said:

henryn said:

corvette said:

henryn said:

Only having one key/fob when I was told it had 2 for the Q5, I walked. About 10 minutes into my drive home the dealer called and said they would get the second key/fob. Glad I did as Audi wanted $500 for the replacement.
    I should have done the same. I was naive about the replacement cost.
    Wait a second, you've only had the vehicle for about 6 weeks and you might turn around and sell it? Wow, pretty impressive. Thought you liked it though? But I guess making a $2K profit in such a short time might be worth it all. But, wow is all I can say right now! Wow!!!