Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    stickguy said:

well, the science clearly says get the vaccine too. So if everybody did that there really would not be any question about the masks.

All my comments are based on everybody getting the vaccine or having natural immunity from having recovered.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited May 2021

We had our first jury orientation since February 2020. It was on Zoom, and it was a fiasco. The KY SC ordered judges to excuse anyone in high risk groups as well as anyone financially impacted by the pandemic. Needless to say, those two excuse were used as "Get out of jury duty free!' cards; 900 jurors were called in and 800 were excused.

My concern is being able to have a "jury of my peers." When broad bands of the population are excused from service on IMHO flimsy excuses of being scared by the media hype, I wouldn't be getting a jury of my peers.

OTOH, I recall when I got my last jury notice. I got them about every 9 months it seemed. I decided I couldn't effectively serve if selected because I make frequent restroom visits. I have trouble hearing softer than average talk when there's background noise (yes, I've looked into hearing assists--still looking). I also have trouble with dumb people. My doctor, who knows me very well, made clear she thought I was the type of person with STEM and logic background who should be on a jury. I thought she wasn't going to sign, but She finally signed the excuse paper.

Many of the jury notices came but I never had to show up for a cattle call--the cases must have been settled before a trial. But The one jury call where I had to show up, I was 2 away from being seated in the jury box. I wanted to avoid being selected. The defendant in late 20s was guilty and a career criminal, in my judgement from his body language and his behavior during the jury questioning. I could have voted without holding the trial.

I was able to glance at his notepad lying on the defenant's table while leaving for a break during jury candidate questioning. I forget what I saw but that confirmed my earlier body language impression of the guy. I was able to get excused because lawyers saw I really didn't want to be on and I had a connection with a policeman as a friend through my son's science olympiad activities.

I'm permanently excused due to age, physical factors.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    stickguy said:

well, the science clearly says get the vaccine too. So if everybody did that there really would not be any question about the masks.

So succinct. Thanks @stickguy for that. Some people are so selfish that they would rather "cut off their nose to spite their face".
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@tjc78 said:

@abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:
    Mike…I agree. Well worth the membership fee for the gas savings alone. I do shop in the store, too. I love their Kirkland Vitamin Water. I also love their Organic fish and beef. They always seem to have a good selection of Campbell’s soups, that I enjoy, too. Few other things I like…..their roasted whole chickens are the best…better than I make at home and cheaper, too.

Plus, when I travel (like down to the land of @kyfdx and @roadburner), they have liquor stores that offer some mighty fine spirits at a very good price.

Funny you should mention their liquor products. My twin brother loves Cognac. He used to buy branded Cognac (VSOP I think) but he tried their Kirkland brand Cognac and fell in love with it - not because it’s 2/3 the price of branded cognac - but because it was actually better! So now all he drinks is the Kirkland Cognac - and he can well afford anything he wants! 🤪😜🤓

I’m rarely that lucky!!
    Does Costco have a house brand bourbon? I know they have a vodka. I’ve seen it at people’s houses.

I really don’t know, tjc. I don’t usually buy liquor since I have good friends who supply my cabinet. One of my friends has a son who owns a distribution franchise for beer and liquor down here. So he “gifts” me frequently.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

@explorerx4 said:

Here's a crazy little story.

One of my kids is visiting and working remotely for a couple of weeks.

The neighbors came over to visit, so we sat on the deck.

A parakeet type bird landed on the railing and started squawking like it wanted some help.

After we kind of puzzled a bit, I got some Ritz crackers, broke them up and put some pieces on the back of my hand. Also put some water in a bowl.

It came over and ate the cracker pieces from my hand, then drank some of the water.

My kid called animal control and also tried to contact a vet who lives a few houses down the street, but the police showed up.

The officer obviously didn't want to take the bird, but thought it was a good idea to capture it.

It did have a band on one of its' legs, buy we couldn't read it.

I grabbed the bird and we put in in a box.

Meanwhile one of the visiting neighbors saw the guy who lives across the street and went to talk to him about the bird, did he have any birdseed?.

A lady randomly riding a bike down the street at the same time said, 'Did you say something about a bird?'.

My neighbor explained about it showing up on the deck.

The lady says she knows someone looking for a bird due to a facebook group posting and texts them.

They say that's their bird and have been looking for it the last couple of days and come over and pick it up.

Here's a pic of one of my neighbors feeding the bird.

Oh, that’s a gray-cheek Conure. Same bird we have. Ours is a green-cheek.

It was bound to happen. This place has gone to the birds. :'(

jmonroe

I liked those birds and the bird story.....it brought some relief from the hot and heavy discussion. We have to remember the animals.....and the birds too.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

We had our first jury orientation since February 2020. It was on Zoom, and it was a fiasco. The KY SC ordered judges to excuse anyone in high risk groups as well as anyone financially impacted by the pandemic. Needless to say, those two excuse were used as "Get out of jury duty free!' cards; 900 jurors were called in and 800 were excused.

My concern is being able to have a "jury of my peers." When broad bands of the population are excused from service on IMHO flimsy excuses of being scared by the media hype, I wouldn't be getting a jury of my peers.

OTOH, I recall when I got my last jury notice. I got them about every 9 months it seemed. I decided I couldn't effectively serve if selected because I make frequent restroom visits. I have trouble hearing softer than average talk when there's background noise (yes, I've looked into hearing assists--still looking). I also have trouble with dumb people. My doctor, who knows me very well, made clear she thought I was the type of person with STEM and logic background who should be on a jury. I thought she wasn't going to sign, but She finally signed the excuse paper.

Many of the jury notices came but I never had to show up for a cattle call--the cases must have been settled before a trial. But The one jury call where I had to show up, I was 2 away from being seated in the jury box. I wanted to avoid being selected. The defendant in late 20s was guilty and a career criminal, in my judgement from his body language and his behavior during the jury questioning. I could have voted without holding the trial.

I was able to glance at his notepad lying on the defenant's table while leaving for a break during jury candidate questioning. I forget what I saw but that confirmed my earlier body language impression of the guy. I was able to get excused because lawyers saw I really didn't want to be on and I had a connection with a policeman as a friend through my son's science olympiad activities.

With your qualifications I would imagine no defense attorney would want you on a jury.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

Due to the shortage of microprocessors, I read that Ford cut its production of vehicles by 50% for the rest of the year. I would imagine most other manufacturers will be following suit.

One of my close friends wanted to get a G90 - he lives in Jupiter. Could not find one in the color he wanted and if he took one they had in stock (Black/Black) they would not discount the price. They only had 2 with the 3.3 L twin turbo V6.

I also read in the newspaper that dealer’s are not giving great deals because they know they won’t be able to get a new one to replace the one they sell. Not good news for those in the market to buy a new car.

My Acura dealer says he doesn’t know when a truck with new vehicles will show up. This was last month when I bought my car but the GM said they were two shipments behind then. Has to be double that now.

They have a few RDXs, one MDX (which is the GM’s demo), and 3-4 TLXs. They do have decent stock of ILXs, though.

I think the only reason they made a deal with me ($250 over invoice), was because I had bought so many cars from them over the years. GM said even though his MDX demo has about 1,500 miles on it, they’ll hold onto it to get MSRP.

He wanted to know why I didn’t trade my Stinger into them. I told him what CARMAX gave me for it. He said he couldn’t match their price, but it would have probably been a wash given the savings on taxes if I had traded it to them. Of course, everyone would have given more until you ask them for the check. C’est la vie!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

Mike…I agree. Well worth the membership fee for the gas savings alone. I do shop in the store, too. I love their Kirkland Vitamin Water. I also love their Organic fish and beef. They always seem to have a good selection of Campbell’s soups, that I enjoy, too. Few other things I like…..their roasted whole chickens are the best…better than I make at home and cheaper, too.

Plus, when I travel (like down to the land of @kyfdx and @roadburner), they have liquor stores that offer some mighty fine spirits at a very good price.

Funny you should mention their liquor products. My twin brother loves Cognac. He used to buy branded Cognac (VSOP I think) but he tried their Kirkland brand Cognac and fell in love with it - not because it’s 2/3 the price of branded cognac - but because it was actually better! So now all he drinks is the Kirkland Cognac - and he can well afford anything he wants! 🤪😜🤓

Mike…Costco protects their sources for Kirkland spirits like they’re nuclear codes. But, for me anyway, it’s easy to pick what distillers they’re rebranding. Their Kirkland Bourbon is 4 Roses. Their Kirkland Vodka is Titos. As you say, their Cognac may or may not be VSOP, but it’s close enough that VSOP may be the distiller.

For inane reasons I still can’t understand, OHIO Costcos aren’t allowed to sell liquor (but can sell all the wine, beer and low proof spirits they can stock). I have to give my business to the fine state of Kentucky, instead.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

At least this shortage should help dealers sell the unloved island of misfit toys models. Get rid of all the ILX glut, and maybe the last of the RLXs too!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@imidazol97 said:

I think that the composition of the jury pool will definitely be a ground for appeal but I don’t see the Kentucky Supreme Court reversing any convictions, since that court ordered the restrictions. The federal courts may be more receptive.
    I am incredibly fortunate in that the public defenders in my circuit are smart, sensible, and pleasant to work with. Some jurisdictions aren’t that lucky.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@graphicguy said:
    Mike…Costco protects their sources for Kirkland spirits like they’re nuclear codes. But, for me anyway, it’s easy to pick what distillers they’re rebranding. Their Kirkland Bourbon is 4 Roses. Their Kirkland Vodka is Titos. As you say, their Cognac may or may not be VSOP, but it’s close enough that VSOP may be the distiller.

For inane reasons I still can’t understand, OHIO Costcos aren’t allowed to sell liquor (but can sell all the wine, beer and low proof spirits they can stock). I have to give my business to the fine state of Kentucky, instead.

4 Roses... Hmm!
    Just had some last night.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    I ran a few errands this morning. Beautiful open sunroof weather. Heavier traffic than what I was expecting given the gas situation. A couple of stations had gas, saw a tanker filling up at a QT. Gas prices popped from $2.70 to $3.20 RUG. Now time to get off my tail and mow the grass, gas powered mower, of course. :smile:

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I've always joked that "my peers" are those who do what they can to get out of jury duty B)

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    andres3 said:

I joined this forum on Edmunds just a couple of months before purchasing my '06 Audi A3 in Ocean Blue Pearl w/ Sport Package w/ DSG.
    It's been a good ride with Audi; 15 years of excellence.
    New Topic: Insurance still sucks.
    Now it's Health Insurance.
    Admittedly.... I don't have a lot of experience really NEEDING TO USE my health insurance, but I've probably been with Kaiser for 95% of my life. That's a lot of blue moons on the calendar. The first time I need to get a surgery, it seems it's taking 1/2 year to get it. I got bumped since my procedure apparently isn't important enough. Does anyone find it odd that they can blame COVID for not offering better service and appointment time frames, yet don't return any premiums? They can't really blame Covid since March of this year though. How many months of additional premiums must you submit before you can actually collect an "insurance" benefit in health. SHEESHH. Do you know how much my employer and I contribute over the course of 6 months. Based on that huge dollar amount, I'd say it's unreasonable for Kaiser to have kept me waiting this long. After all, isn't "waiting forever" supposed to the the "CON" of single payer healthcare? Let me chalk up health insurance to just another insurance I'm sorely disappointed in for value.

Supposedly the CDC put forth a directive that hospitals put off any unnecessary or elective surgery until after the pandemic so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed by the expected number of Covid cases (which never was near the amount they expected). Look at it this way, if you cannot use it now then you're not that bad off health wise. That being said I have had no issue using my health insurance for routine stuff with my doctor.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    kyfdx said:

I just deleted a lot of posts.

We won't traffic in conspiracy theory, here.
    If you disagree (or agree) with me, keep it to yourself. If you don't like it, feel free to move on.
    I might have missed some posts, and some others might have got scooped up inadvertently with the trash. I don't need to know about that.

Thanks!

Oh I see, a conspiracy against conspiracies.

• Options

If you are judging him based on his body language and behavior you shouldn't be on a jury, you should listen to the facts presented and make an objective decision based on facts.

• Options

abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

VSOP is not a brand or a distiller, it is a type of brandy. It means Very Superior (or special depending on who (whom?) you ask) Old Pale. Very Superior means that the youngest brandy in the blend is at least 4 years old and Old Pale means their is no color correction to the brandy. This is in accordance to French law.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I must have missed all the “conspiracy theory” posts, but my thanks to the moderator for getting rid of it.

I don’t belong to Costco (too far away), and I let my membership to Sam’s Club expire when they closed the store nearest to me. Here in Texas, people buy their liquor from Spec’s. Huge store, unbelievable selection of wines (which I very seldom drink), and about anything you ever heard of in whisky, vodka, gin, tequila, you name it. All at discounted prices.

On the subject of health insurance, for many years I had some of the very best health insurance that money could buy. Long story behind that, but it rather spoiled me. Then for 3 years I was on fairly ordinary (read crummy) health insurance before I qualified for Medicare. I have to say that I have been very happy with Medicare over the 5 years I have been covered.

Last December I was talking with my orthopedic guy, and he told me he was having trouble scheduling patients for surgery (knee replacements, hip replacements, etc). The hospitals were trying to limit the number of elective surgeries due to Covid. So, there may be more at play here than just the insurance company.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I noticed this video this morning. Pretty real world take on a longer trip, and mostly parallels my own experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n944QFNgIrg

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tifighter said:

I noticed this video this morning. Pretty real world take on a longer trip, and mostly parallels my own experiences.

I like how he says its as much of a long drive as anyone would do in a day. I have had many one day drives that makes 1,000 KM's look short. Might be driving down to see the kids in FL this summer that's going to be pushing twice that.

• Options
    tifighter said:

That’s an average day for me.

• Options

tifighter said:

I like how he says its as much of a long drive as anyone would do in a day. I have had many one day drives that makes 1,000 KM's look short. Might be driving down to see the kids in FL this summer that's going to be pushing twice that.
    When I was young, sure. My longest drive, solo, was Beaumont, TX, to Palo, IA. 1,032 miles. That would have been in 1970, in a 1957 Ford which I had purchased for $100. Add in a second driver, and the sky was the limit. These days? No way in h___. I stop once an hour, bathroom break, straighten out my back and knee, walk around to get the circulation going. Growing old is no fun, but it does beat the alternative.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited May 2021
    1000km's was a less than a tank of gas in my last couple of pickups. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

tifighter said:

Well they say driving in Europe is "we went to Belgium and had breakfast, did some shopping in Luxemburg, visited grandma in Germany now we are back home in France having dinner."

Driving in the U.S. is "We've been driving all day and we're still in Florida."

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited May 2021
    I drove from Ft Worth TX to home in one day, driving a 2007 B7- kindly supplied to me by BMW NA. We originally planned to stop halfway, but the drive was so pleasant we agreed to do it in one shot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    tifighter said:

That is the experience of my-son-in-law on long drives, except his toilet breaks are much shorter and his Model X is always fully loaded. With that said, there should be no range anxiety for an EV driver.
  • Options
    I driven Seattle to SF many times. It's only a little over 800 miles, which probably isn't macho enough for this group. But I don't want to drive any further than that. Especially on flat straight interstates.

• Options

tifighter said:

Sure. Then you remember that gas is nearly $7.00/gal in the UK.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    tifighter said:

I driven Seattle to SF many times. It's only a little over 800 miles, which probably isn't macho enough for this group. But I don't want to drive any further than that. Especially on flat straight interstates.

Longest stretch I've done on my own, in a single day, is just under 700 miles.

Longest with a co-driver is just under 900 miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tifighter said:

That’s plenty macho for me. Thursday we did some local trips then Albany to Glens Falls to Amsterdam to Albany to Burlington VT to Kingston to Albany. That was close to 1000km and I felt it at the end.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    abacomike said:

@tjc78 said:

@abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

I’m rarely that lucky!!

Does Costco have a house brand bourbon? I know they have a vodka. I’ve seen it at people’s houses.

I really don’t know, tjc. I don’t usually buy liquor since I have good friends who supply my cabinet. One of my friends has a son who owns a distribution franchise for beer and liquor down here. So he “gifts” me frequently.

Go ahead, rub it in some more. :@ :@ Here’s another opportunity, how’s the weather down your way? :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Michaell said:

tifighter said:

Longest with a co-driver is just under 900 miles.
    Longest solo was just over 1,000 miles, Denver to Chicago (man Nebraska is boring).
    Longest with other drivers (3 drivers in all) just over 2,000 miles in around 27 hours, Seattle to Chicago.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Michaell said:

Longest for me was 750, Hartford CT to Halifax, NS. Longest in one stretch with other drivers was 900 miles, Myrtle Beach SC to Milton ON.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

@explorerx4 said:

Here's a crazy little story.

One of my kids is visiting and working remotely for a couple of weeks.

The neighbors came over to visit, so we sat on the deck.

A parakeet type bird landed on the railing and started squawking like it wanted some help.

After we kind of puzzled a bit, I got some Ritz crackers, broke them up and put some pieces on the back of my hand. Also put some water in a bowl.

It came over and ate the cracker pieces from my hand, then drank some of the water.

My kid called animal control and also tried to contact a vet who lives a few houses down the street, but the police showed up.

The officer obviously didn't want to take the bird, but thought it was a good idea to capture it.

It did have a band on one of its' legs, buy we couldn't read it.

I grabbed the bird and we put in in a box.

Meanwhile one of the visiting neighbors saw the guy who lives across the street and went to talk to him about the bird, did he have any birdseed?.

A lady randomly riding a bike down the street at the same time said, 'Did you say something about a bird?'.

My neighbor explained about it showing up on the deck.

The lady says she knows someone looking for a bird due to a facebook group posting and texts them.

They say that's their bird and have been looking for it the last couple of days and come over and pick it up.

Here's a pic of one of my neighbors feeding the bird.

Oh, that’s a gray-cheek Conure. Same bird we have. Ours is a green-cheek.

It was bound to happen. This place has gone to the birds. :'(

jmonroe
    I liked those birds and the bird story.....it brought some relief from the hot and heavy discussion. We have to remember the animals.....and the birds too.

Well, given you are a little flighty I can understand that. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited May 2021

If you are judging him based on his body language and behavior you shouldn't be on a jury, you should listen to the facts presented and make an objective decision based on facts.

That's right. The case had had wide publicity when the event happened and during the hunt. Old style journalists had documented the facts. IIRC, the trial was to try to minimize the penalty. I believe it was an abduction or shooting. Several years ago. I suspect the prosecutor was trying to make a reelection case and wasn't offering a compromise settlement in advance of a trial.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

The case had had wide publicity when the event happened and during the hunt. Journalists had documented the facts. IIRC, the trial was to try to minimize the penalty. I believe it was an abduction or shooting. Several years ago. I suspect the prosecutor was trying to make a reelection case and wasn't offering a compromise settlement in advance of a trial.

Journalists don't always know all the facts or report them if they do. I have seen high profile cases where the facts that came out in the trial were different than what was reported in the press. There have been some cases that I have seen going solely by what's reported in the press and solely what is presented in court I would have come up with different conclusions.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited May 2021
    tifighter said:

A little bit of playing with numbers and a best case scenario. I skimmed it....10 minutes is a long video for me, and my time is valuable!
    A Tesla will fairly comfortable go 250 miles on a charge, so he chose a distance that works out for maximum distance on a charge - if it was 700 miles he would need another stop. He didn't hit any big traffic jams like we always hit when we go to and from Florida. That would wear down his charge and he would need to use an extra stop. He went at times when he needed an actual break for lunch at the time he needed a charge.
    I know of people who drive from here to Florida, 1500 miles, 23 hours of actual driving time, all in one go. Of course they stop for gas, but briefly, they often take food so they don't have to spend time getting something at a pit stop place. I'm also not sure refueling stops are always at the exact right place....and if they are you have to do some calculating before you leave.
    It helps, but it doesn't completely cover the range anxiety issue for me.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Well, y'know all of my posts are for you, driver; I should have considered the video length. But to be fair to the guy in the video, he was running out of island to cross. And BTW, traffic actually improves your range in an EV.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@snakeweasel said:
    Longest solo was just over 1,000 miles, Denver to Chicago (man Nebraska is boring).
    Longest with other drivers (3 drivers in all) just over 2,000 miles in around 27 hours, Seattle to Chicago.

I drove from 75 miles east of Denver to Joliet, Illinois, when I was moving to Hazleton PA from LA, California. Long drive, to be sure. I drove from Los Angeles to Hazleton in 2-1/2 days - in a 1999 Lexus ES300. Used to rest by day and drove all night to avoid trucks and traffic.

I could never do that again.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    There's a chance of severe hail here this afternoon. We only have a 3-car garage so the 97 4Runner normally sits outside. I can hear the boys downstairs debating whether to leave it out or put it in the garage and put the 13 Pilot out. Which would likely get totaled quicker if it was bad...
  • Options
    dad23 said:

There's a chance of severe hail here this afternoon. We only have a 3-car garage so the 97 4Runner normally sits outside. I can hear the boys downstairs debating whether to leave it out or put it in the garage and put the 13 Pilot out. Which would likely get totaled quicker if it was bad...

Does your HOA allow for a carport? Excellent investment if it's allowed.
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited May 2021
    I doubt it, we don't have room on either side for one anyway. I told them that's what insurance is for, fingers crossed it's nothing major.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    abacomike said:

. . . drove all night to avoid trucks. . .

?? I made it a point to drive all night on my various business trips in Western Canada, and just about the only traffic out was trucks. Same when I was driving truck myself -- lots of trucks at night.

Anyway, my longest continuous run was from mid-Saskatchewan to North Vancouver, BC. It was a bit over 1000 miles, and I stopped twice for gas and to-go snacks. Left in the middle of the afternoon and got in about 8 in the morning -- Trans Canada highway through the Rockies. I didn't like to drive a new route at night and miss the scenery, but I could make better time at night. Good times.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I like to leave early in the morning(3 to 5 am) if I'm going to drive a long distance.
    That way when I get there, I don't feel like I missed a day due to driving.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I had a day like that once. Morning in Stuttgart, stopped in Luxemburg, stopped in Belgium and Netherlands, and had dinner at a hotel beside the Nurburgring.

tifighter said:

Well they say driving in Europe is "we went to Belgium and had breakfast, did some shopping in Luxemburg, visited grandma in Germany now we are back home in France having dinner."

Driving in the U.S. is "We've been driving all day and we're still in Florida."
  • Options
    I think my longest single day was about 500. In recent years, the 450 one way to my daughter's college in NC. that was straight through, just a stop for gas/bathroom/lunch along the way. That is about as much as my body wants to do at this point if I want to be able to stand up at the end!

I also do all the driving, so not normal for us to share duties. If we were trying 800 or so in one day the wife would have to take a turn, and she would rather not (and I am a lousy passenger!)

these days, our long trips are to see family so depending on which set that is about 200, 240, 270 or 310 miles each way. Maybe at some point when we retire and have more time we will take a longer trip, but if so, it will be more leisurely, not a contest to see how far we can get how fast!

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Greetings, all!
    For those who purchased new plugins, did you receive the Fed tax credit? If so, did you have to supply any "proof" with your return, e.g. a letter from the manufacturer/dealer certifying your purchase of an eligible vehicle? Looking ahead to my '21 return for the A7 PHEV. I'll research, but I find most of the knowledge of the universe is contained in this (or CCBA) forum...

Random thoughts, after much catching up:

Thanks for the I-Pace update, BWIA. I do miss my XF and hope that there will always be a Jaguar.

I'm a not ready for prime time player regarding an EV; hence the PHEV. Yesterday was a good example, 30 miles of local tripping, 24 of those miles running the Flux Capacitor. So, only 20% of the day was poor ol' Dino the Dinosaur remnants. I've driven nearly 700 miles since purchase, averaging 68mpg and haven't used a full Dino dish yet. Neat. "Free" electricity at both my local grocery store and Gillette Stadium. If I want to road trip, and I do, I'll have to engage Dino and his entire graduating class a bit more. So, meet the new boss; same as the old boss. Just now with a new friend.

I respect (ok, maybe not 100% of the time), if not understand, people's personal choices. But, those who simply say zig because the gov't said zag, that I question. There is much that is law (or common sense or decency) that we do every day that some form of gov't has decided was best, and we abide. Stopping for school busses sure is inconvenient, but I do it (doesn't help me any, but seems to keep kids safer)... Being clothed in public is such a bother (ok, the no doubt look of disgust keeps me in check there)... Not stealing from my neighbors is impinging upon my personal freedom to enhance my wealth (there I go again, thinking of others)... Ok, I generalize, maybe exaggerate.
    My father contracted Covid, one month later he passed. I choose to wear a mask, not ideal, but certainly not worthy of a Boston Tea Party to me (I'm fully Moderna'd, but I do not want to be a carrier/spreader. The mask will be gone soon enough).

Costco gas here holding steady, $2.80 for RUG; $3.00 for PUG.

That is all for now, appreciate any comments on the Fed tax credit for the PHEV.
    Hoping that you, and all you hold dear, are happy, healthy and sane.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    oh, that is a plus to NJ and the NE in general. You can get to a ton of places in that 300-450 mile range. From Philly, that is basically northern Vermont to Charlotte NC or Chicago (that might be a little further, but certainly someplace in Ohio).

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    My longest road trips:
    Several CT to FLA (Boca Raton) trips.
    CT to Jackson Hole, WY by way of Chicago for a NYE with a college crush that spectacularly didn't work out! But, the skiing, and the steaks, were outstanding!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)