Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    stickguy said:

Farmer, you are thinking like a poorish guy that would have to cash out his IRA to get it. Think like a rich guy where it’s chump change, and just a car.

So, as I read it, you believe that cashing out my IRA for a DB11 is a good idea. Yeah, that must be it; what else could you be saying.

Thanks for the sound financial advise. And, permission.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

stickguy said:

Farmer, you are thinking like a poorish guy that would have to cash out his IRA to get it. Think like a rich guy where it’s chump change, and just a car.

So, as I read it, you believe that cashing out my IRA for a DB11 is a good idea. Yeah, that must be it; what else could you be saying.

And let’s hope, as one of poster buddies just said, it doesn’t end up in the junk yard in the sky. Not too many folks can handle 1,000 HP but if given the opportunity many would try.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

And let’s hope, as one of poster buddies just said, it doesn’t end up in the junk yard in the sky. Not too many folks can handle 1,000 HP but if given the opportunity many would try.

jmonroe
    Only 503hp, looking at the V8 engine. A couple in Stick's state; prices dropping.
    Shopping remains affordable.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Actually, the local '18 AM DB11 at the MB dealer where I test-sat; the price was dropped $8k in the span of a week or so, and it appears to have sold.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    In Jersey? Let me know if you want me to go take one for a test drive and report back!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    One of her tires is pretty new with almost perfect tread. T P can still get her the same tires and even said three is all we need. So going on their advice, we're just going to get three and call it a day. I will talk to my guy again to make sure this is the best course of action going forward and then we'll make a decision.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Only 503hp, looking at the V8 engine. A couple in Stick's state; prices dropping.
    Shopping remains affordable.
    Yes, you did say DB11 but I was erroneously thinking the Camaro Exorcist. Even so, 500 HP is quite a bit. My Genny has a nicely manageable 420 HP. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited August 2021

The last part of the article mirrors my thoughts on paying $135k for any car. How could you ever take it out of the garage lest you get a stone chip or a door ding?
    The B7 press loaner I had in 1997 stickered for over $125,000. My wife refused to drive it for fear of dinging it. I spent 2 days lapping Motorsport Ranch with it. My son and I had a ball in the $117,000 X5 M loaner I had for the Heroes of Bavaria event. Again, we drove it as it was intended to be driven- I even tried to coax a Raptor into playing, but he wasn't having it. If I could afford a $135,000 car I'd drive the wheels off of it. I sure as heck wouldn't let it waste away in the garage.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    ab348 said:

Around here those driving exotic cars during the 3-4 months of the year when the weather and the pothole repair seasons align are generally the offspring of overseas gazillionaires who send their kids to university here, or local video animation/gaming tycoons who hit it big at a young age. Money is the last thing they think about.

I actually feel sorry for those people since they can’t experience the thrill of saving up for a car and then carefully selecting just the right options to meet your needs. The anticipation of buying a car just barely within reach and working to get is half the fun.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

One of her tires is pretty new with almost perfect tread. T P can still get her the same tires and even said three is all we need. So going on their advice, we're just going to get three and call it a day. I will talk to my guy again to make sure this is the best course of action going forward and then we'll make a decision.

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you should be OK. I would never be that lucky.

jmonroe
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237

The anticipation of buying a car just barely within reach and working to get is half the fun.

I've had several which were "barely within reach," and was generally disappointed in one way or another. Anymore, I prefer cars which I can very comfortably afford, which fulfill some sort of criteria I have in my head.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

yeah, the AT eliminates it from contention. Otherwise I would like it! Though from those (crappy) pictures it looks to have been a hard 92K. And if it was a NY car I would want a pro to get that up on a lift for a serious look underneath.

fantastic generation though. One of the best cars ever made.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    nyccarguy said:
    For that price I’m a looker too but as stickguy said, I’d wonder what it looks like underneath.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@stickguy said:
    yeah, the AT eliminates it from contention. Otherwise I would like it! Though from those (crappy) pictures it looks to have been a hard 92K. And if it was a NY car I would want a pro to get that up on a lift for a serious look underneath.

Fine. You want a stick? Prepare to pony up:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-haven-2013-acura-ilx-24-premium/7355153544.html

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

stickguy said:

No doubt about it that car was not babied. They say 92K miles; since it’s an ‘89, I’d say that it’s turned over once but looks like twice.

jmonroe
    don't see a lot of those manual ILXs. I like it. Basically a softer, more luxurious Civic Si. Pricey; and I would want to know why an 8 YO car with 32k miles needed a paint job (plus rear suspension).

oh, black over black, tough sell!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Peekskill New York, we were all born there and lived there till 1957. Then moved a bit south closer to New York City. Have looked at the prices there and it's still a bit too pricey for us. Hoping to go back in a year or two to see some relatives.
    Seems like the kids in Chicago are buying a house, a 4/2, and they'll have a guest suite downstairs which they have asked us to come & use once they have finished moving in. We're very excited for them!! And seems the
    daughter in Miami is also looking for a property. Better than paying someone else's mortgage I guess...have some equity.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    New rear struts and paint on the ILX with only 33k? Hmm 🤔

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    nyccarguy said:

@stickguy said:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-haven-2013-acura-ilx-24-premium/7355153544.html

Bradd - In your search for a possible replacement for the pilot; if you get a chance have a look at the Subaru Ascent. When we were looking for my wife's new car last year she had it narrowed down to a Pilot or an Ascent. You can get 7 or 8 seats and there is quite a bit of room behind the rear seat. It also doesn't drive big.

I would be interested to hear your take on it.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

What happened to the Explorer fascination?

venture said:

nyccarguy said:

@stickguy said:

Bradd - In your search for a possible replacement for the pilot; if you get a chance have a look at the Subaru Ascent. When we were looking for my wife's new car last year she had it narrowed down to a Pilot or an Ascent. You can get 7 or 8 seats and there is quite a bit of room behind the rear seat. It also doesn't drive big.

You know, I completely forgot about the Ascent. Your wife is happy with her Ascent?

stickguy said:

I liked the Explorer A LOT. However, I don't like it enough to pay over sticker with a marked up money factor for one.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@nyccarguy said:
    I liked the Explorer A LOT. However, I don't like it enough to pay over sticker with a marked up money factor for one.

There is nothing I like enough to buy/lease with those terms.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

You know you want to jump on the Wrangler bandwagon.
    You want that bandwagon to come to a screeching halt? Then sure, I'll contact your broker;0)-

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    nyccarguy said:

venture said:

nyccarguy said:

@stickguy said:

You know, I completely forgot about the Ascent. Your wife is happy with her Ascent?

She has had it for over a year and likes it a lot. It is a Limited. No sunroof (she never uses them) no NAV (she uses Waze) and 8 seats.

It's a 2.4 turbo. On a trip this past weekend to MD and back I made sure I used the adaptive cruise. It will creep up to 85, or over, in a hurry if you aren't careful.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

Jeep Wrangler 4xe check on Jeep chat says the white one ordered on 6/22 is still awaiting parts. The StingGray one ordered 7/12 has all parts and is ready to be scheduled for production. Same exact builds other than exterior color. Weird

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    mjfloyd1 said:

Jeep Wrangler 4xe check on Jeep chat says the white one ordered on 6/22 is still awaiting parts. The StingGray one ordered 7/12 has all parts and is ready to be scheduled for production. Same exact builds other than exterior color. Weird

Weird indeed. Ordered 6/28 and still in gathering parts phase as of Monday. Nothing unusual on the build. Granite Crystal Pearl but I did do body color bumpers and top. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? As I understand much some of the painting is outsourced.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Manufacturing is weird, they will often group certain builds together for reasons that aren't obvious to laypeople like us, in order to optimize their throughput. I'm sure it's gotten even stranger with the parts shortages!
    mjfloyd1 said:

I guess it’s possible to run out of parts within a couple of weeks. Then again maybe they don’t want you to become a competing Jeep dealer. Whadda you think about that. :s

jmonroe
    parts come from all over. just need to be missing one and the car won't get built. could easily be something like the hardtop being delayed.

edited August 2021
    stickguy said:

parts come from all over. just need to be missing one and the car won't get built. could easily be something like the hardtop being delayed.

Yes, they have their own processes and procedures to maximize the productivity of the line and what seems random to us, actually makes sense. I’m on the JL forum as well and there are people on there that ordered before Memorial Day and still waiting but I have seen at least one that got his in a month.

Strange supply chain anomalies seem to be normal now. IE wife’s preferred flavor of coffee creamer out for a month but all other flavors plentiful. Same with the kids favorite yogurt. I will notice other random shortages at the grocery store that usually resolve themselves in a week or so.

At least we have toilet paper.

edited August 2021
    stickguy said:

That actually could be it. Tops are outsourced, of course, and my understanding is they come in painted.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    qbrozen said:

y'all are failing to keep on top of me about my signature. lol. Just now updated.

We are driving the heck out of this Jeep. Over 800 miles already.

It sounds like you like the Jeep. What are your overall impressions, likes, dislikes?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

I just got an OTA update from Jeep for the uConnect. It fixed my biggest complaint which is the backup camera lines would disappear constantly.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

@qbrozen said:
    y'all are failing to keep on top of me about my signature. lol. Just now updated.

Maybe that’s because you are viewed as an up and coming @breld. Just ain’t gonna be up there long enough to make a difference. :s

jmonroe

sda said:

It sounds like you like the Jeep. What are your overall impressions, likes, dislikes?

It is pretty comfortable, but power seat adjustments would be nice, along with lumbar adjustment. It is far far quieter than I would have ever imagined. Even at highway speeds, there is no problem carrying on a normal conversation. I like the interior quality. Leather seems very nice, gauges are nice, and stereo works well. I think the storage space is adequate. The wife took the 2 kids down to Wildwood or an overnight last week. I lowered one side of the back seat and fit all of their luggage, beach bags, beach chair, cooler, and 2 surfboards, and didn't pack higher than the back seat that was upright. The longer surfboard (76"), I wedged up over the headrest of the front passenger seat.

Driving position feels VERY high. Takes a little getting used to. The batteries do keep it well-planted, though. It is on the bouncy side, of course, but that only becomes an issue with large imperfections in the road. For 99% of the smaller stuff you run into on a daily basis, it is perfectly fine. I'd say it is something like the first 20% of suspension travel is well damped, and beyond that is when you get that "truck" ride.

I think they did a pretty nice job with the powertrain. I get that they likely tried to make it drive as normal as possible, but they missed an opportunity to make it overall more efficient. I would like automatic regen braking, for example, and for the hybrid mode to work like a hybrid mode. There are 3 buttons: hybrid, electric, e-save. So the electric is all electric, as you'd suspect, and the e-save uses the gas engine instead of the battery, as you'd expect. But hybrid doesn't act like a hybrid. It still uses the battery first, so it winds up running out very fast and you get to where you are driving an all-gas car with stop-start. Personally, I don't run down the battery for more than a very brief period, but when the wife goes for longer distances, I've instructed she engage e-save when on the open road to save the battery for local driving.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

sda said:

qbrozen said:

DISLIKES: He wasn't able to flip it and pocket $10K right away ;)

@au1994 said:
    That actually could be it. Tops are outsourced, of course, and my understanding is they come in painted.

But both of mine have black hard tops. Same exact options too. Only difference is exterior paint color.

@qbrozen and @28firefighter - do you find the ICE noisy? Some say it is louder than most due to fans running to cool the hybrid battery

mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen and @28firefighter - do you find the ICE noisy? Some say it is louder than most due to fans running to cool the hybrid battery

It is rather thrashy in the upper RPMs. But, DAMN! the thing pulls like a train when both battery and engine are engaged. Definitely not a good sounding vehicle overall, but nobody should be getting a hybrid if they want vroom vroom noises.

I’m not expecting vroom vroom noises. Just wondering how loud it is

mjfloyd1 said:

I’m not expecting vroom vroom noises. Just wondering how loud it is

very quiet at normal speeds. Does not get intrusive until past 4k rpms.

You have the hardtop?

Yes @qbrozen has a hardtop.

It seems most comments about the noise are when the electric runs out and the ICE kicks in. Probably fans cooling the hybrid battery plus the ICE

I want a new car.

Once we figure out our house situation I need to get back on that. Mid September after a trip to the finger lakes.