Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    fintail said:

Flipping it is tempting too, wonder if it would be worth the effort, or if I'd have seller's remorse.

I suspect you might have to expand you market area beyond your immediate area to get top dollar for something like that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@tjc78 said:
    Bought this for my wife…. Does it count as a punch? Lol.

I guess that’s a bike you don’t want to be caught peddling to the convenience store, huh?

Jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@benjaminh said:
    That is crazy for a car that old.

Are you considering only vehicles by Mercedes Benz, or is there anything else in the mix? When is your lease up?

Well, he damn sure ain’t gonna get a G90 no matter how much @abacomike raves about his.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

I won’t be riding that bike at all….

She picked it out. We were riding up on the boardwalk today and people kept complimenting her on it.

Of course she said the Schwinn bike she has rides nicer, which is exactly what I told her! Ugh.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

I’m seriously racking my brain trying to decide if there is a play here with the Outback.

Three ideas:

Model 3 SR+ if I can find one - short term play that we would eventually flip.

Model Y LR

ID.4 Pro S AWD (least favorite, but has $7500 tax credit)

You know the answer. I guess the ID could be okay as a city car. But if you want to drive around town and take trips, just save yourself the headache and order the Tesla now.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited September 2021

I think that’s right, if there is one. But I’m concerned that at some point the used car market will normalize so I’m balancing that with potential revamp of the federal tax credit.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Does it annoy anyone else when the car YouTubers read out a part number during a video? I'd never go to the trouble of ordering a part using a number I got from a video--part numbers change or they may have given the incorrect number. I'm fine with them just verbally stating "we used a Fel-Pro gasket because it was readily available / works better in this application," etc.

@nyccarguy said:
    If any of you guys ever come visit New York City, I highly recommend the 9/11 museum. To say it is powerful is an understatement.

I second this. It is a wonderful tribute. Did you do the walking tour as well?

edited September 2021

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    We did it 3 years ago and its quite moving. The memorial is beautiful.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Definitely. Still might come out a few grand ahead even in trade-in, depending on what the market is like then. It'll either be even more insane, or normalizing - these days, I wouldn't bet the farm either way.
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

Flipping it is tempting too, wonder if it would be worth the effort, or if I'd have seller's remorse.

I suspect you might have to expand you market area beyond your immediate area to get top dollar for something like that.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited September 2021

@tjc78 - Tom, we did not. Maybe that’s something I can do with my wife when we go back sans the kiddos. The museum itself was beautiful. Very moving. It was amazing to see about the construction and planning of the twin towers too. When did you go?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hey @au1994, when are they going to ship the doors or did you knock them off while off-roading? :s

jmonroe

@nyccarguy said:
    @tjc78 - Tom, we did not. Maybe that’s something I can do with my wife when we go back sans the kiddos. The museum itself was beautiful. Very moving. It was amazing to see about the construction and planning of the twin towers too. When did you go?

We went Nov 2019. We also went before the museum was done and it was just the reflecting pools. I think that was in 2012.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Having recently finished Radiant Angel by Nelson DeMille, I was kind of worried when the 20th anniversary of 9 11 was about to happen.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Tesla really does not discount demos very much anymore it seems.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    stopped at a car dealer today. Tricked the wife thinking we were going out food shopping (which we did, after.)

Visited the Toyota dealer. Sad sight of a parking lot. Used to be rows of each car, now a few scattered around. And the salesguys even admitted most of them were sold but they left them out front to take up space.

Managed to see a couple of Tacos. Only had used available, but close enough. An off road and a normal model (both 2019s I think). 4 door, short bed. Plus sat in the salesguy's own car, a 2021 loaded model 6' bed. Only one with the power seat I would not buy without.

decided not to drive one. But started it up, and the wife got to try out for fit. Overall, definitely a truck. She did not like getting in and out of it (especially the off road). and was not that enthused by the interior. fired up the engine and it definitely made noise! Surprisingly large. Big hood. I don't think I would want one without BLIS either, and that is a rare option.

I will go drive one by myself at some point just to see how it drives, but most likely bigger and bulkier than what we need, and I know the wife doesn't want one to drive. Though she did say "it's your car, you have to like it" but it would be nice if she was comfortable riding in it too!

I explained how a Maverick (or Santa Cruz) would be much more of a CUV like her car with the hatch replaced by a bed. She would want that if she had to use it. a Ridgeline, that would not be a tough sell to her.

I do want to see the new Frontier too. Basically same size and design as a Taco, but I think it has a lot more modern and more comfortable interior. If those come out, I would like to drive one too. And a Ridgeline, just for kicks. Assuming I can find any of them to try.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

also told her about the continuing 4xE rush. Pointed out a new design Wrangler to her, and she said it was not bad looking, and could be fun. But did point out that it didn't really add any practicality like a PU would (might as well just get a sedan instead). She also smartly noted that we were not likely to drive it off road either. So that would be an option if super cheap, but I suspect at this point, it is cheap lease relative to sticker, but not actually cheap!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I'm beginning to think that M2 Comp prices will not be dropping anytime in the foreseeable future- If you exclude black and white cars there are less than 80 listed for sale in the US; of those only 8 are manuals. I may follow my bride's advice and just bite the bullet and buy one that ticks all the boxes. If the prices even partially follow the trajectory of the 1 Series M Coupe I'll be golden.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

@breld said:
    On the subject of loans, I’ve tried to work directly with my bank or credit union, but I’ve yet to use them. The dealerships are so much more efficient at securing loans, and usually with better rates.

I am in total agreement with you, Breld!

My last two car loans were arranged at dealerships:

2020 MB E450 financed at 0% for 36 months
    2021 Genesis G90 financed at 1.9% for 60 months.

No bank or credit union came close on either loan.

2021 Genesis G90

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

@stickguy said:
    the Maverick reservation/ordering system is actually a good thing now. I don't think any dealers are able to surcharge, because buyers will just move on to the next place that isn't. I was surprised to see this Toyota dealer selling at sticker.

speaking about Maverick, I was debating with the wife whether I should have added more options (meaning spend more money!) Her opinion was she would have just gotten everything, just in case. Lady must be made of money I don't know about! So I emailed the contact at my dealer, asking if they could make any changes to my order (even though they accepted it with a build date and VIN).

I figured No, and he confirmed it, but said he was happy to order an "additional" one for me. I did not Email back to make sure, but seems that I would not have to cancel the first one. I guess dealer is happy to guarantee at least 1 stock unit out of me! Not sure what Ford will think about it though since require a DL so would be easy to tell they were double booking me.

Don't think I will but could always change my mind at any point and do it.

My physical therapist has a new Maverick on order with an expected delivery date of December, January or February (his current lease expires in January) so he is not overly concerned about delivery dates at this point in time. Microprocessors are the bottleneck in production of new cars.

New car dealer lots are like ghost towns of the old west. Cannot remember a time like this in my lifetime with one exception - I ordered a 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Coupe with the 327 V8 and GM closed down all assembly lines due to UAW strike. Had to wait 4 months for my new car. It was very frustrating. But only GM was affected at the time.

2021 Genesis G90

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The Wall Street Journal has a 5-minute video on the chip shortage and the auto industry. Good summary of what we already know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9At_CjubA
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2021
    Offered at the almost empty lot at Wyler Toyota in Clarksville, Indiana, this 2019 Corolla base model with 54k miles for $22k. I'm glad I bought out my slightly older 2018 Acura TLX at the end of lease with at that time 39k miles for $18,400.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    benjaminh said:

Offered at the almost empty lot at Wyler Toyota in Clarksville, Indiana,

"Cars like eggs are cheaper in the country." Wyler's motto when he was starting out.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@benjaminh - wow. Oxmoor Toyota's lot didn't look that bare when I was there a few weeks ago for service.

My boss recently purchased a late model used Highlander Hybrid. I shudder to think what it must've cost.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    edited September 2021
    Out for a walk, today. Abandoned house for sale, and spotted this car in the “driveway”.

Picture is from the website. Didn’t have my phone

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    GM or Mopar roughly 1936-38, gives me a 37 Buick vibe.

On the car prices note, Retired service loaners now have asking prices equal to original MSRP

And a wagon - a year newer than mine, fewer miles of course, but dang that price, would be MSRP on one with quite a few options, crazy for a car heading for 2 years old
    kyfdx said:

Out for a walk, today. Abandoned house for sale, and spotted this car in the “driveway”.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    The street is actually up on the high side of car.

Had a hard time seeing if it was a sedan, wagon, or pickup. It's a lot more overgrown than this picture shows.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx - shopping for a quick fix and flip?
    benjaminh said:

Offered at the almost empty lot at Wyler Toyota in Clarksville, Indiana, this 2019 Corolla base model with 54k miles for $22k. I'm glad I bought out my slightly older 2018 Acura TLX at the end of lease with at that time 39k miles for $18,400.

When I was looking at Supras earlier this year the lot was absolutely jammed with trucks and FWD appliances.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

This was created by some friends shortly after 9/11. This example was mounted on my bench until I retired. My 318ti has worn two smaller versions for 20 years.

tjc78 said:

Bought this for my wife…. Does it count as a punch? Lol.

I thought Driver would NEVER sell his bike!

Poking around on Honda's website, the base trim level 2022 Pilot is now the EX-L. No more LX or EX. I assume not many people were buying them.
    quite likely to see more of that with the new normal shortages. Companies will just make more expensive models since they have to cut back somewhere.

and if used car prices stay high, poor people are going to be doubly screwed.

I did see elsewhere (YAA youtube) that extended warranty sales are way up. Probably people that in the past would have gotten a new car before the warranty ran out, now planning to keep them a lot longer.

@kyfdx - I think it was you who inquired about the total cost of my AC job. The guy came back today and had to make a few adjustments and install 1 more supply duct & grille in our bathroom. Total cost was $20,352.72. I was able to purchase the Bosch Condenser & Air Handler through my business for $4,444.57. $15,908.15 was what I had to pay the guy for everything else.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy - ouch! Duct work isn't cheap on new construction, I'm sure it's an even bigger pain redoing it once the house is already built. But, it's hard to put a price on having a much more comfortable home.

How are the basement repairs coming?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@nyccarguy said:
    @kyfdx - I think it was you who inquired about the total cost of my AC job. The guy came back today and had to make a few adjustments and install 1 more supply duct & grille in our bathroom. Total cost was $20,352.72. I was able to purchase the Bosch Condenser & Air Handler through my business for $4,444.57. $15,908.15 was what I had to pay the guy for everything else.

I do not recall if that was better or worse than the other quotes??

edited September 2021
    The base model Venza appears to be a decent value, if you're okay with the hybrid powertrain, which is the only one available. $33,885 for an AWD model with power liftgate, LED lights, BSM, etc. Just building a RAV4 XLE Hybrid, similarly equipped, puts you at a very similar price, and by all accounts, the Venza has a more premium feel by comparison. The Honda Passport Sport is $36,015 with AWD, adds a more powerful V6, but lacks BSM.

@kyfdx said:
    The street is actually up on the high side of car.

Had a hard time seeing if it was a sedan, wagon, or pickup. It's a lot more overgrown than this picture shows.

So you’re saying they prettied it up for the listing pic then let it go to hell again! Typical real estate workings.

jmonroe

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    kyfdx said:

There’s probably a $2,000 ADM on that old car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@nyccarguy said:

WOW, I think I’d have just bought more cases of cold beer. :'(

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    corvette said:

The base model Venza appears to be a decent value, if you're okay with the hybrid powertrain, which is the only one available. $33,885 for an AWD model with power liftgate, LED lights, BSM, etc. Just building a RAV4 XLE Hybrid, similarly equipped, puts you at a very similar price, and by all accounts, the Venza has a more premium feel by comparison. The Honda Passport Sport is $36,015 with AWD, adds a more powerful V6, but lacks BSM.

When I was in CA last month, my sister and I test drove a Venza Limited. $45K sticker, plus some markup, IIRC.

My sister really liked it, until she drove it. Of course, she was comparing it to luxury brands (Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus and Infiniti).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@oldfarmer50 said:
    There’s probably a $2,000 ADM on that old car.

Nah, I think they’re calling it a weed whacking/finders fee.

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited September 2021
    @Michaell,
    Good thing for those brands that she could tell the difference. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

The total came out to be slightly cheaper than when I priced it out last year. I know that it works and runs 100%. The guy who did the install is a Bosch service technician (he’s a guy that Bosch send to your house when you call them directly for repairs) so he’ll maintain and repair if necessary. It was a lot of money, but where I saved was by buying the condenser/air handler. Most places on their quote last year wanted $10K alone for those 2 items. It was a lot of labor to remove the old items and install new everything.

@corvette

The basement is dried out. We are going to start piecing it back together. Haven’t finalized any plans or gotten any quotes for flooring yet.