Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    @stickguy,
    Not sure if you have seen the Alex on Autos Maverick video. He bought a Lariat model.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfhZPw_gmg
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    kyfdx said:

Someone may remember the $3500 Cherokee I posted recently?

Look what just sold on BaT:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-jeep-cherokee-26/

I’m posting all my cars on there, right now!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    edited October 2021
    Thanks X4. I had not seen that one yet. Will watch it tonight.

check that. He's a different guy. I did watch this one. Found it to be pretty quick, and not too bad off road, tires considered.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

@roadburner said:
    About 30 years ago I spoke at length with a BMW engineer at Gateway Tech(the BMW Car Club's national tech event- since superseded by the internet). He talked about how the German educational system used aptitude testing to direct students towards jobs that they liked and were particularly well-suited for. There was no concerted attempt to primarily push students towards college. He was also underwhelmed with most of the graduates of US engineering schools.

Back in grade school, we were given such a test. I don’t recall what the girls were told, but most of the boys were told to become farmers. Not suspicious at all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@28firefighter,
    What happens with those prepaid college plans if you move out of state?

Doesn't matter - the tuition we prepaid is guaranteed and backed by the state to pay out at the annual tuition rate for the most expensive in-state university. If we move out of state or he chooses to go somewhere out of state, the money can still be used - it will just cap out at whatever the highest in-state tuition in WA is at the time.

Our logic was that we both went to state schools and believe college to be an investment. If he wants to go somewhere private/out of state, he is certainly entitled to do so, but there will be a discussion about what that will mean financially for him above and beyond what we have set aside if he does not earn merit based scholarship.

That said, I'm still planning to sock away some extra over time in a regular 529 plan, to cover room/board/expenses/other costs. He won't necessarily know about that upfront.
    My college was $3000 a year and grad school was somewhat less. This was in the 70s of course.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

About 30 years ago I spoke at length with a BMW engineer at Gateway Tech(the BMW Car Club's national tech event- since superseded by the internet). He talked about how the German educational system used aptitude testing to direct students towards jobs that they liked and were particularly well-suited for. There was no concerted attempt to primarily push students towards college. He was also underwhelmed with most of the graduates of US engineering schools.

Back in grade school, we were given such a test. I don’t recall what the girls were told, but most of the boys were told to become farmers. Not suspicious at all.

I didn’t need a fancy guidance counselor to tell me that.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

My college was 4x as in state tuition, not including room and board. Law school was 10x.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    @roadburner,
    The best engineers in the US don't go into automotive.
    How many satellites, nuke subs and stealth planes has BMW designed?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259

@roadburner,
    The best engineers in the US don't go into automotive.
    How many satellites, nuke subs and stealth planes has BMW designed?

Tangentially automotive related (Tesla/Elon Musk), but "Countdown: Inspiration4 Mission to Space" on Netflix is a great watch. I rarely watch anything a second time, but will probably do so with this one.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    I'm watching Alex on Autos' review of the 2022 Tundra right now. He mentioned the 2022 Tundra is 5-6" longer than the comparable outgoing model and has a massive 48.6 foot turning circle. If that's true, it's even less maneuverable than the one I have now, and is completely out of my consideration as a replacement, whether I keep the Prius or not. Also, he said the 0-60 time with the more powerful non-hybrid 3.5 twin turbo was about 7.6 seconds, which is disappointing. Might as well buy the one I'm leasing now! :s
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    ab348 said:

There is a growing school of thought that the pressure to drive every high schooler into a university 4-year degree program at a minimum. and in many cases requiring them to continue with post-grad work to attain any sort of marketable skill, often only saddles them with crushing debt and does little or nothing to prepare them for life earning a living afterward, depending of course on what specialty they chose to study. Meanwhile blue collar skilled workers are in very short supply and can often walk into well-paying jobs straight out of training schools. It doesn't suit everyone, but neither does white-collar work.

We need European style apprenticeship/skilled trades programs. The idea of university "for all" is indeed shortsighted.

I am just glad I went to school in the late 90s when it was more affordable than now. I got grants/scholarships and needed loans, but rates were low and I was able to pay them off without much sacrifice.
    edited October 2021

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    We paid for our kids college except for the Stafford loans, so they didn't have a lot of debt when they graduated.
    One of my kids scored 800 on their Math SAT and 5's in their Physics, Math and English AP's.
    Started at ND as a Sophomore due to testing credits.
    Still remember the shock when they said 'I never want to do math ever again'.
    Under achieved in college graduating with a double major in History and Poly Sci.
    Went to work for a software company and seems to like it.
    In their job interview, got asked the typical question, Where do you want to be in 5 years?
    Answer, "I don't know, but I want a dog."
    OK, we'll fly you out for an interview. Got hired.
    I can't figure it out.

Sounds like I’d get along well with your kid. I have a similar sense of humor when it comes to interviewing - if they can’t appreciate it, probably the wrong place for me!

Also because I believe most data collected in most interviews has no bearing on someone’s performance.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    On the college front, we’re through with one, having funded the in-state tuition for her, our 18 year old just started his college career in the Chicago area and he got a merit scholarship that makes the cost about the same as in-state, and then we’ll send off our 16 year old in a couple years.

We funded 529 plans since they were young, and my parents contributed generously to those, bless their hearts.

And yes, having two incomes (or three for this purpose, since my ex is well employed) helps tremendously.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

@28firefighter said:

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    We paid for our kids college except for the Stafford loans, so they didn't have a lot of debt when they graduated.
    One of my kids scored 800 on their Math SAT and 5's in their Physics, Math and English AP's.
    Under achieved in college graduating with a double major in History and Poly Sci.
    In their job interview, got asked the typical question, Where do you want to be in 5 years?
    I can't figure it out.

Sounds like I’d get along well with your kid. I have a similar sense of humor when it comes to interviewing - if they can’t appreciate it, probably the wrong place for me!

Also because I believe most data collected in most interviews has no bearing on someone’s performance.

Interviews are just to see if you think you can stand being around the person for 40 hrs a week or more.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@cdnpinhead said:
    This is most certainly true. Mike Rowe has made a mission of this, and it's a good one.

We don't need (if we ever did) more art history majors.

My friends and I all talk about the fact that we’d have saved ourselves a bundle taking a gap year, taking classes at community college, and working than spending freshman year “finding ourselves.” C’est la vie. The thinking has evolved in a very short period of time.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Higher education in the U.S. has become a racket. It's funded by loans that look very attractive to young people (and their parents -- go figure), so the price goes up and up while the value goes down.

Time was that a "higher education" made for a well-rounded individual who had managed to get accepted into the system. Now, not so much. People make fun of going to college in order to be trained to do something useful, but that used to be the point.

Either way, vocational training often costs little or nothing and prepares one for a highly lucrative career with no debt. What's not to like? Oh yeah, there's that country club thing, or whatever passes for it in the zip code in question.

In my engineering work, my most satisfying experiences had to do with solving real problems that were costing my company and/or one of the suppliers a fortune.

Maybe the art history folks have similar moments, but I'd need to be convinced.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    corvette said:

He mentioned the 2022 Tundra is 5-6" longer than the comparable outgoing model and has a massive 48.6 foot turning circle.

A number of decades ago there was a (gasp) C&W song that had to do with "if you give me 40 acres, I'll turn this rig around." In those days it had to do with 18-wheelers, but now I guess it's "different."

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

@cdnpinhead said:
    Higher education in the U.S. has become a racket. It's funded by loans that look very attractive to young people (and their parents -- go figure), so the price goes up and up while the value goes down.

Time was that a "higher education" made for a well-rounded individual who had managed to get accepted into the system. Now, not so much. People make fun of going to college in order to be trained to do something useful, but that used to be the point.

Either way, vocational training often costs little or nothing and prepares one for a highly lucrative career with no debt. What's not to like? Oh yeah, there's that country club thing, or whatever passes for it in the zip code in question.

In my engineering work, my most satisfying experiences had to do with solving real problems that were costing my company and/or one of the suppliers a fortune.

Maybe the art history folks have similar moments, but I'd need to be convinced.

If I didn’t know better I’d say I wrote your post.

Looking back on it I actually enjoyed my career as an engineer. Hell, I even enjoyed it as I was doing it.

If I didn’t do that I don’t know what I’d have done but it damn sure wouldn’t have been as an arts/history type.

Maybe I’d have gone into house flipping like Son #1 talked me into doing in my retirement. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

boomchek said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Drive home was uneventful. Everything works, brakes are good (I had no idea you could still get rear drums on an SUV in 2010), tires are almost new Goodyears. It does stink inside. From our discussions and the clues, I believe it to be a result of him getting the interior steamed and then locking it up and leaving it for weeks. Just cosmetics.

Nice looking - a good detail will have it looking great. Seems like a perfect fit for the intended use case.
    Congrats! Looks pretty clean.

I always tell our detailers to avoid shampooing used car interiors unless they really need it. Otherwise the vehicles come back from detail, stay locked while on the lot, and the moisture evaporates fogging up all the windows and leaving a wet dog smell inside. You just need to vent it properly and put some air freshener inside.
    Is there a cure for the smell of old damp socks stored inside a locker room when the AC is first turned on after sitting a long period of time. We rarely use the AC in this weather in Ohio and both cars developed this smell here in the September days of Fall. It's only there for a minute.
    That I'm not sure about that. Probably running the a/c on a regular basis should prevent it from happening, but changing the cabin filter regularly would also help.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    andres3 said:

Someone mentioned a harmonic balancer issue with the Audi 3.0 V6. That might be it. In hindsight I did notice idling at times the idle was rougher than it should be in terms of vibration QUALIFIER for an Audi.

Typically, at idle, your not even sure the engine is on at times, so any vibration can be noticeable. It was very minor though, and didn't think anything of it until........

I was thinking perhaps a bad motor mount as those are known to be a maintenance issue.

Apologies in advance for the number of questions. Feel free to ignore any or all of them.

Was a replacement engine c. $14k + labor? If so, how much might labor be for that?

Have you decided if you're going to try to reach out to Audi?

Is it possible that the previous owner didn't just drive the car hard, but also modified the software that runs the engine in some way? Is it possible oil changes were skipped?

I'm still trying to get my mind around engine failure at 45k. Seems like something that might happen in the 1960s, but not on a car of the 21st century. Does it seem to you like a completely freak event, or as you've researched this have you found other cases of Audi engines failing at similar mileage?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

@qbrozen,
    I can't figure it out.

That’s funny about the standard where do you want to be in 5 years question. I never knew how the answer that except to say “still employed”.

They didn’t ask that for my current job but if they did my response would be “still alive”. :p

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964

@qbrozen,
    I can't figure it out.

That’s funny about the standard where do you want to be in 5 years question. I never knew how the answer that except to say “still employed”.

They didn’t ask that for my current job but if they did my response would be “still alive”. :p
    Certainly not ‘Counter Manager’. What a headache.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 869
    edited October 2021
    The college discussion scares the heck out of me. We opened 529s were they were born that should cover a few years depending on where they end up. We've encouraged in state schools and even trade schools as one really seems interested in becoming a mechanic. They all have decent grades so hoping for some sort of help there. We don't want them to come out burdened with a huge amount of debt but we've also made it clear that they can help out, have a little skin in the game.

It reminds me of the coworker I posted about a while back who bought the over-inflated Land Cruiser cause he didn't want his dog in his Evo. He always complains about money, has his master's, which he's still paying for and I don't think he's at a salary much higher than mine. And he keeps banking on the loan forgiveness program. He's mentioned that the extra degree probably wasn't worth it, but he has those letters after his name...

@oldfarmer50 said:

That’s the wrong answer. You should say Hertz.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Doesn't look like Honda did much to improve performance of the Civic Si, but did add the rev-matching from the Type R.

I do appreciate that they held back on the styling - the subtle rear spoiler is much better than previous versions.

@stickguy - get on the list!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37989825/2022-honda-civic-si-revealed/

My guess for the upcoming Integra...

Base version will share the Civic Si's powertrain and be priced right around $35k.

Type S will be a slightly softer version of the Civic Type R, and will be just a tick over $40k - say $42k. Some are saying it will be AWD, but I'd be surprised.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    nyccarguy said:

"We don't want them to come out burdened with a huge amount of debt"

100% My parents fully funded my education which I am eternally grateful for. There are still people my age (45) and older with kids heading to college that still have some looming debt from a masters or doctorate of some sort.

"He always complains about money, has his master's"

A very close friend of ours does the same thing. He husband is our pediatrician. He's a partner (with 4 other doctors) in a practice. She's always complaining about money and how she has a Master's Degree and she should be making more than what she makes. A few years ago she had to go to Hawaii for their 15th anniversary. They took their kids, put everything on the credit card and then complained about how it wasn't as romantic as she remembered. I think she's still paying that trip off.

We started putting money away for our kids education and encourage them to get some education that can provide a good foundation (accounting, finance, business) for any type of direction or industry they go into but otherwise I'm not too worried.

I had no money put aside for college as we were new immigrants here so it took my parents a few years to settle in. I finished high school and dropped out after a year in college as I had no clue what I wanted to do. I bounced around various jobs before getting into car sales where I learned on the job everything there was to learn about the business. My parents weren't happy but I was, and was making decent money.

Over the years I took better and higher positions and I'm earning good six figure income, with no post secondary education.

My sister has a double major and was working in a field totally unrelated to her education. She recently quit her job and paid off her student loans after cashing out on cryptos she had that skyrocketed.

Many of my friends (also immigrants) who are doing really really well (multiple properties, luxury cars, boats) also had no college education and have their own companies they built from scratch with no funding help from their families.

That's why I'm not too worried about my kids. A good education can provide a steady paycheck and some sort of stability but without it there are also many opportunities and possibilities to succeed in life as well as long as you can push yourself.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Nicer looking than the prior version. For my needs, a sport touring manual is really close enough. And probably more comfortable (the wife would appreciate that)

A more luxury slanted Acura version, with their great seats and interior/each, as an integra, for $35k, would be a bargain. I’d rather have that than an Si.

My guess is that the new Civic Si will have an msrp of c. $28k, and then a few months later the new Acura Integra will start at c. $32k. That will still leave plenty of spread between them. I think mechanically they might be almost identical, but I wonder if somehow Acura will get more power out of that 1.5T with premium gas, and maybe even a slightly more powerful turbocharger? We'll see. But the Civic Si sure is a good deal for the money.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/all-new-2022-honda-civic-si-brings-the-passionsets-new-benchmark-for-sport-compact-sedans
    The 2020 Civic Si, the last one available, had an msrp of about 26k. A c. 2k price increase from that seems likely.

I read the comments. The “fans” are losing their minds over a 5hp drop, even though torque (I think) is up, and it was retuned to be way more useful in normal driving. Not many people on the street spend a lot of time above 6k on the street. Quite likely real world tests will have it just as fast, at least in street mode.

I came close 3 years ago to getting an Si. Drove it a couple of times. The one thing that turned me off was actually the seats. Just not comfortable (and I am scrawny). My wife, I think hated the overly aggressive bolsters.

So if the integra adds a little power, and has way more comfy sports seats (heated leather most likely) and some other comfort and convenience goodies, could be a great compromise. Plus, integra will be the hatch!

But what about your Maverick?

@benjaminh said:

Not a problem, @stickguy has applied for a curbstoner license.

jmonroe

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    dad23 said:

He's mentioned that the extra degree probably wasn't worth it, but he has those letters after his name...

I've always said that anyone who can put those extra letters after their name, and does, is trying to prop themselves up with it rather than standing on their own merit.

So far, I've yet to be proved wrong on that. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@xwesx said:
    I've always said that anyone who can put those extra letters after their name, and does, is trying to prop themselves up with it rather than standing on their own merit.

So you’re saying my new business cards should not say “@jmonroe- HF”. I thought saying House Flipper might turn folks off without giving me a chance to explain. :s

jmonroe

benjaminh said:

That doesn’t even exist yet! So maybe I get something else first. Or after. Or buy it, get bored, and trade it on an Integra. Or buy both.

So many options!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    xwesx said:

dad23 said:

He's mentioned that the extra degree probably wasn't worth it, but he has those letters after his name...

I have a friend that has a PhD. Only her close inner circle knows she is a "Doctor."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270

I got my undergrad degree in 3 years at a private school. Next step was in state and 1/4 the price of undergrad.

I don’t recommend taking physical chemistry, biochemistry and quantitative analysis during the same semester, but it worked out🤣

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I had such a facepalm moment this morning when my wife asked, "so, when are you planning to winterize the Crosstrek?"

I cannot believe it! I completely forgot about that. Completely.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    benjaminh said:

Geez, Ben, remember, it's @stickguy. He's always jonesing for something else even before he takes delivery of the previous one he really liked! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I actually looked at a new Si in 2007; nice enough, but I preferred the MS3. Too bad Mazda didn't follow through with new Mazdaspeed editions.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited October 2021
    dad23 said:

It reminds me of the coworker I posted about a while back who bought the over-inflated Land Cruiser cause he didn't want his dog in his Evo. He always complains about money, has his master's, which he's still paying for and I don't think he's at a salary much higher than mine. And he keeps banking on the loan forgiveness program. He's mentioned that the extra degree probably wasn't worth it, but he has those letters after his name...

If he got an MSW I have to agree with him. I wouldn’t let a dog get in an EVO either.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

breld said:

Doesn't look like Honda did much to improve performance of the Civic Si, but did add the rev-matching from the Type R.

I do appreciate that they held back on the styling - the subtle rear spoiler is much better than previous versions.

@stickguy - get on the list!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37989825/2022-honda-civic-si-revealed/

That’s actually pretty attractive.