Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited October 2021

My NCM referred to me as the “anti-salesman” because of my low key approach. Several people who were also shopping other brands made a point of telling me that they decided to buy from our dealership because I wasn’t pushing to close the deal and I didn’t badmouth the other brands.

It is funny, but I'm convinced these people are completely invisible to the other "style" dealers/salespeople. These people who tell you that treating customers poorly "works" will quote sales numbers, which is an understandable metric. However, they can't tell how many sales they lost and why, there are no surveys for that. For them it doesn't matter anyway, because they have salespeople with expiration date matched with one-time customers. As long as they don't run out of them, they are successful.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

@laurasdada said:
    My auto insurance renews 11/1, my agent noted if I wanted to switch to Commerce, annual premium is $300 lower for same coverage. Cool, let's do it.

And, they give a 5% discount for donating $25+ to the Pan Mass Challenge (Dana Farber Cancer), which I more than do annually as a college bud is a dedicate rider on the cause. AAA discount, too.

How will I waste that $300?

Edmunds will give you my address/account number.

Thanks.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    So, will this dealership model be affected by the "Great Resignation", as so many other industries are experiencing?

I don't think there is an endless supply of "fresh fish" to supply dealers with the bodies they need. They might learn that they can get by with a much smaller number of experienced sales folks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    my guess, they will love it. Cuts down on the overhead. The more that is done via the internet and ordering, the fewer live people you need on the floor. And no commissions.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Some personalities don't believe in sales or salespeople. When they want something they research it on Google and buy it on Amazon or elsewhere. They feel that they only buy things they've already sold themselves on.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

On Saturday, we have a realtor coming over to review our house to see what we need to do to sell it.
    Not sure what is important to buyers as far as things that need fixing. Things we might think are important may not be.
    We like this house, inside and out, but there are also things we don't like or are missing.
    Had water in the basement at some point, but may be fixed.
    There is some issue with the chimney.
    Mechanicals are old.
    May be an issue with the roof down by the gutters, but I'm not sure.
    No patio area.
    We also spec'ed out a new build, but I'm not happy with the lots.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1788-Hunters-Point-Ln_Westlake_OH_44145_M35643-77664

1/3 acre lots are standard in my town for subdivisions. They raised it from 1/4 acre lots some years ago in order to keep the riff raff out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    edited October 2021
    @oldfarmer50,
    Mine is .4 but we are looking at about .3. Under 1/2 an acre.
    This one looked promising, but the realtor refuses to show any houses by this builder.
    This is not a new house.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36224-Atlantic-Ave_North-Ridgeville_OH_44039_M47462-89589
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    driver100 said:

I got this email today. I haven't ordered anything from U.P.S. that I know of. The addresses seem phony since they don't contain the name UPS in them. What say you?

-------- Original Message --------
    From: officeuser-secure-delivery-failed-no-id-86294715661-eday5@cogeco.ca
    Date: Oct 20, 2021 5:58:18 PM
    Subject: UPS unsuccessful delivery - 10312975447/10/20/2021 9:58:15 p.m.
    To: Driver100

-Your Parcel Number #886702644225# is on the way.
    -Your Package is stopped at our post.

-A $2.20 shipping cost have not been paid.

-If shipping cost is not paid, the package will be returned.

-Pay Now
    -Package Information:

-Status Parcel being hold at Terminal 2

-Parcel Number : #104264991#
    -Weight 0,041 kg

===================================================

-Total: 0.00$

-Sending Costs: $2.20
    -Grand Total: $2.20

"Do they just want my credit card number & cogeco.ca is a local internet provider.".

Unless you order stuff in your sleep it’s a scam but check with your wife to see if she was ordering something as a surprise.

Just to be sure why don’t you send me your credit card number so I can keep an eye on it. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50,
    This one looked promising, but the realtor refuses to show any houses by this builder.
    This is not a new house.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36224-Atlantic-Ave_North-Ridgeville_OH_44039_M47462-89589

can't speak to the builder of course (but that is good your agent is looking out for you), but I love that house. It is pretty much exactly what we are looking for.

driver100 said:

@qbrozen @ab348 People are being scammed every day with emails similar to the UPS one.
    It is unfortunate that some people creatures find this is an OK way to try and make a living. The UPS scam was fairly easy to spot, but I would guess some scammers will get better and better at it........we have to stay alert. It sounds like the Shoppers one was a little more sophisticated....can't let your guard down.

At one time I was getting multiple emails from various “banks” claiming my account was compromised and to log into a site to rectify the problem. The problem was I didn’t do business with any of them.

they don't care. send to enough people, and some will use that bank!

stickguy said:

Talk of adding one in NY too (up near Albany). A better place, since chip manufacturing is water intensive I think, and that’s not a selling point in AZ right now.

But definitely going to help having more production capacity anywhere, and especially domestically .

Global Foundries in Malta NY has been trying to scam NY out of another couple billion in subsidies and tax breaks for years. Maybe this time it would serve some purpose.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Random Abandoned Cars Could Be Yours at Pittsburgh Airport's Annual Auction

Why do people park at the airport and never come back? Who knows, but it might lead to a bargain for you. The auction happens on October 23.

Ten passenger vehicles, all of which at some point were parked in the public parking lot and never picked up, will be up for sale this weekend. They include, in addition to the 2009 Nissan Titan and 2002 BMW 530i pictured above, a 2007 Chevy Impala, a 2015 Mini Cooper S, and a 2007 Pontiac G6. 
    Source: Caranddriver.com

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2021

@oldfarmer50 said:
    At one time I was getting multiple emails from various “banks” claiming my account was compromised and to log into a site to rectify the problem. The problem was I didn’t do business with any of them.

I get those emails too! Several from my cable provider and several from banks I never had accounts with. I just don’t respond to them. If my bank or Genesis Financial have a need to contact me, their emails would state, “…please log in to your account to review a change or problem with your account(s).

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    bwia said:

Why do people park at the airport and never come back? Who knows, but it might lead to a bargain for you. The auction happens on October 23.

There might be a body in the trunk! ;)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

@qbrozen @ab348 People are being scammed every day with emails similar to the UPS one.
    It is unfortunate that some people creatures find this is an OK way to try and make a living. The UPS scam was fairly easy to spot, but I would guess some scammers will get better and better at it........we have to stay alert. It sounds like the Shoppers one was a little more sophisticated....can't let your guard down.

And the ones I get use the bank's logo to make it look more real....until you read the email address......sendyourmoney@yahoo.com

There were a lot of abandon cars around here at airports and train stations after 9-11. :'(

driver100 said:

I got this email today. I haven't ordered anything from U.P.S. that I know of. The addresses seem phony since they don't contain the name UPS in them. What say you?

-------- Original Message --------
    From: officeuser-secure-delivery-failed-no-id-86294715661-eday5@cogeco.ca
    Date: Oct 20, 2021 5:58:18 PM
    Subject: UPS unsuccessful delivery - 10312975447/10/20/2021 9:58:15 p.m.
    To: Driver100

-Your Parcel Number #886702644225# is on the way.
    -Your Package is stopped at our post.

-A $2.20 shipping cost have not been paid.

-If shipping cost is not paid, the package will be returned.

-Pay Now
    -Package Information:

-Status Parcel being hold at Terminal 2

-Parcel Number : #104264991#
    -Weight 0,041 kg

===================================================

-Total: 0.00$

-Sending Costs: $2.20
    -Grand Total: $2.20

"Do they just want my credit card number & cogeco.ca is a local internet provider.".

Unless you order stuff in your sleep it’s a scam but check with your wife to see if she was ordering something as a surprise.

Just to be sure why don’t you send me your credit card number so I can keep an eye on it. ;)
    It's nice to have such good friends watching my back for me!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078

@bwia said:
    They include, in addition to the 2009 Nissan Titan and 2002 BMW 530i pictured above, a 2007 Chevy Impala, a 2015 Mini Cooper S, and a 2007 Pontiac G6. 

The Mini could be interesting.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I was thinking about the Titan.

seems odd that some of those cars have keys. others say keys available. Wonder if they spend the money to get one made?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

Before you guys get any ideas about wanting me to check out any of those cars this weekend, I can’t do it since I’ll be at the flip alone because Son #1 is going to the Penn State game at Happy Valley with his family. I’m thinking about asking for weekend pay/double time or else I’m quitting. 😫

The good thing is I’ll be the boss.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

Ohio has a new license plate design.

One problem.

The Wright Flyer plane is flying backwards. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

They did fix it later the same day, but not before the NC DOT could tweet: Y'all leave Ohio alone. They wouldn't know. They weren't there. #FirstInFlight,

Pretty funny.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

I would question the fact that 6 nails vs 4 provides 50% more hold down strength. I would think that with something the size of a roof shingle that at 4 you are at the point of diminishing returns, each additional nail adds less additional hold down strength than the previous one. I would think that with 6 you have nails that are duplicating the effort of other nails.

It’s simple math 6 nails provide more hold down strength compared to 4. If you put nails clear across the shingle butting their heads together you would have the most hold down strength possible for that shingle but it is obviously not needed and this would be a case for diminishing returns. 6 nails vs. 4 is probably overkill too but it is still stronger than 4.

jmonroe

It's not simple math it's simple physics. Just because you increase the number of nails by 50% does not mean the force holding down the shingle increases by 50%. I would think that if 4 nails does an effective job than they are spaced close enough that the force provided by any one nail is overlapped by forces of the nails on either side of it. Spacing them closer to allow for 6 nails would likely create areas when the combined forces become redundant and no additional force is really created. This is the law of diminishing returns.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

bwia said:

Tesla made $1.6 billion in the three months ending in September, the second quarter in a row that its profit has exceeded the billion-dollar mark.

The bottom-line figure exceeded the $1.1 billion it made in the second quarter and was nearly five times its profit from the third quarter of 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/tesla-earnings.html

Do we have a cash flow statement? That would be more telling as part of the profit could exist only on paper.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

@stickguy said:

I always know it’s a scam because when there truly is suspicious activity the CC company will contact you every way they have.

We bought furniture from Joss and Main for our deck at the shore (old place) and it was about $2500. The second my wife clicked submit order my phone got a call, text and email about suspicious activity. I think the shipping address combined with the amount triggered fraud.

When it’s a phishing scam, typically you only get a random text or email.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited October 2021
    Considering there are 3 tabs per shingle, using 6 nails makes sense.
    If you are using 4 nails, that probably means you are using 2 nails at the weakest points.
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I get those emails too! Several from my cable provider and several from banks I never had accounts with. I just don’t respond to them. If my bank or Genesis Financial have a need to contact me, their emails would state, “…please log in to your account to review a change or problem with your account(s).

Unfortunately, that’s exactly how these scam bank emails are set up. They direct you you to an enclosed link to supposedly access your account. That, I assume is where they pull their mischief.

I just forward the email to the phishing center at the real bank. After about a dozen referrals to the real banks the emails have pretty much stopped.

@oldfarmer50,
    This is not a new house.

Forgive me for being dense but why would a realtor refuse to show you a house? I’ve never bought anything other than vacant land so I’m a bit clueless.

bwia said:

Ten passenger vehicles, all of which at some point were parked in the public parking lot and never picked up, will be up for sale this weekend. They include, in addition to the 2009 Nissan Titan and 2002 BMW 530i pictured above, a 2007 Chevy Impala, a 2015 Mini Cooper S, and a 2007 Pontiac G6. 

Any takers on how many dead gangsters are in the trunks?

@oldfarmer50,
    This is not a new house.

Forgive me for being dense but why would a realtor refuse to show you a house? I’ve never bought anything other than vacant land so I’m a bit clueless.
    Some builders are not very good, and their houses tend to have problems. I assume the realtor just has experience with their builds being junk.

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

I always know it’s a scam because when there truly is suspicious activity the CC company will contact you every way they have.

We bought furniture from Joss and Main for our deck at the shore (old place) and it was about $2500. The second my wife clicked submit order my phone got a call, text and email about suspicious activity. I think the shipping address combined with the amount triggered fraud.

When it’s a phishing scam, typically you only get a random text or email.

One time I was in Florida and picked up some stuff at the Home Depot for the kids house, the next day we flew back home and as soon as we got home I went to our local Meijer to get a few things. As I was leaving the Meijer I received a text message from my bank about suspicious activity on my card. I called them back thinking it was about the big purchase I did in Florida but no it was about the small purchase I did at the Meijer, a store that I use the card at a few times a week.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Unfortunately, that’s exactly how these scam bank emails are set up. They direct you you to an enclosed link to supposedly access your account. That, I assume is where they pull their mischief.

I just forward the email to the phishing center at the real bank. After about a dozen referrals to the real banks the emails have pretty much stopped.

I don’t log into the phishing email’s hyperlink - I log into my mobile APP. I never use their phishing hyperlinks - that would be suicidal!

2021 Genesis G90

@oldfarmer50,
    That particular builder has a pretty bad quality rep, so I'm guessing that is the reason for it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

Considering there are 3 tabs per shingle, using 6 nails makes sense.
    If you are using 4 nails, that probably means you are using 2 nails at the weakest points.

The nails don't go through the tabs. Just above them on the solid part of the shingle. More nails doesn't make a better performing shingle. Plus, architectural shingles don't have tabs. Very rare to see three tab shingles, any more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I wasn't thinking about architectural style shingles, so true, but I did look at a house that had a recent roof with the 3 tab shingles.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

I wasn't thinking about architectural style shingles, so true, but I did look at a house that had a recent roof with the 3 tab shingles.

Even then, the nails don't go through the tabs.

Think about this: Every nail hole is a possible leak point. Yes, the shingles are designed to seal around the nail. But, extra nails are not always better. If I'm looking to spend more money, ice dams, underlayment and superior contractor knowledge on flashing, etc, are a much better way to spend your money.

Also, good gutters and water evacuation from the downspouts are as important as the roof. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I’m surprised somebody hasn’t come out with a nailless shingle system.

More proof of why we can't have good things out on the patio.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,871
    I was just looking at a friends Bronco Sport Big Bend. Not a bad vehicle.

He said he got it for $1,500 under MSRP. He ordered it 3 months ago.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345

More proof of why we can't have good things out on the patio.

My dog brings his friends up to the porch to visit.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    venture said:

Now there is something I'd dump immediately for a big payday

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I've just been letting you guys argue about nails and shingles. Doesn't take much to get some opinions heated up, but you missed the actual reason they do it. According to CertainTeed, if a certified installer uses 6 nails per shingle installed as per their protocols, the job becomes eligible for an upgraded warranty, I believe against wind damage but maybe something else as well. So the company I picked does that as a matter of course.

ab348 said:

I've just been letting you guys argue about nails and shingles. Doesn't take much to get some opinions heated up, but you missed the actual reason they do it. According to CertainTeed, if a certified installer uses 6 nails per shingle installed as per their protocols, the job becomes eligible for an upgraded warranty, I believe against wind damage but maybe something else as well. So the company I picked does that as a matter of course.

So basically it's a marketing thing.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    qbrozen said:

venture said:

Now there is something I'd dump immediately for a big payday
    Same here!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    Guys, he said Bronco Sport

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Just filled up with PUG at my local Costco - $3.59.9 a gallon! That’s an increase of 40 cents a gallon in the last 5 weeks. I paid $3.35.9 two weeks ago which was my last fill-up.

The average price for PUG at the other gas stations in the area is $3.89.9. Estimates are that PUG will be close to $5.00 a gallon by Christmas unless something happens to curtail the cost of crude.

2021 Genesis G90

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

Slightly off topic, but that’s what this forum is for, right? I know there’s a bit of a NJ contingent in here but I was wondering if any of you were close to the Philly suburbs. I’m being tempted to apply for a job in that area and was curious about the good, bad, and ugly of those communities, especially in Burlington County.

Any knowledge you can share is appreciated, whether on here or in PMs.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion

ab348 said:

So basically it's a marketing thing.
    You misspelled "warranty".