Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @28firefighter - a little delayed response, but I think it’s absolutely the right way to go to finance/purchase the Tesla as opposed to leasing. I could be wrong, but I believe a Tesla lease is very restrictive - I think Tesla basically has all the rights to take the car back from you whether you want to terminate early or run to the lease maturity. So no flipping it to another dealer or Carvana or whatever.

And like you pointed out, if by chance additional federal tax incentives are passed, you may become eligible for that. I’m certainly hoping that happens.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

Still waiting to try the new 2022 Corolla Cross but since it's a 5-door Corolla, think I'll feel right at home. The CH-R is also a strong contender if I can get a light interior to help down play that rear blind spot where the rear door handle is. With the black interior, it's a real issue for me but less so with a lighter interior. And I do prefer the white pearl paint. So, we shall see what the future brings. I'm finally ready to let go of the Golf, a long time coming as I truly have liked it overall. I just want something simple going forward, easy to drive and easy to maintain.

Sandy, have you driven or looked at the Hyundai Venue? Not my sort of vehicle but I see them everywhere locally and they certainly meet your size requirements at 159" in length. They appear to have good visibility too. The Kona is 166" so it might fit also. The Kia Seltos is 172" so I don't know if that works for you.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Took the Prius to Discount Tire this morning for a balance and rotation--they did that for free even though the tires weren't bought there and I didn't buy lifetime B&R. They also found two bad TPMS sensors, so my wallet is about $125 lighter.

Also, the CEL came back on with the same P0420 code, so I ordered two bottles of Cataclean from Amazon, as @roadburner (and maybe others) have recommended. Much cheaper than a new cat!
    On another note, regarding garage floor coatings, does anyone have experience on Epoxy vs. Polyurea?

I’ve received two quotes for coating the new garage floor, both from co-workers/friends who are very happy with their results. The place that boasts the benefits of Polyurea is significantly higher than the Epoxy. Both will be done professionally, meaning it’s commercial grade product and a thorough prepping of the surface.

Given my neighbor with the Epoxy is very happy with the results after a couple years, I’m leaning strongly to saving the money, but just figured I’d see if anyone has experience here.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    qbrozen said:

Changed brake pads at all 4 corners on the van this morn. 2 hrs total, without a lift, jacking up one wheel at a time. Pads were $80. This is a job the dealer wanted $800 for.

That dealer is never going to talk to you again. :@ His kids college fund gets no help from guys like you (or me).

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    corvette said:

Took the Prius to Discount Tire this morning for a balance and rotation--they did that for free even though the tires weren't bought there and I didn't buy lifetime B&R. They also found two bad TPMS sensors, so my wallet is about $125 lighter.

Also, the CEL came back on with the same P0420 code, so I ordered two bottles of Cataclean from Amazon, as @roadburner (and maybe others) have recommended. Much cheaper than a new cat!

Gee, folks in my hood can’t give cats away. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited October 2021
    corvette said:

Take a look at the active ingredients in that product. Regular Acetone or lacquer thinner might be cheaper. Check out some of the YT videos on doseage rates.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    breld said:

On another note, regarding garage floor coatings, does anyone have experience on Epoxy vs. Polyurea?

I’ve received two quotes for coating the new garage floor, both from co-workers/friends who are very happy with their results. The place that boasts the benefits of Polyurea is significantly higher than the Epoxy. Both will be done professionally, meaning it’s commercial grade product and a thorough prepping of the surface.

Given my neighbor with the Epoxy is very happy with the results after a couple years, I’m leaning strongly to saving the money, but just figured I’d see if anyone has experience here.

https://youtu.be/CVBbAXTzAxs

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    corvette said:

I followed these directions:
    Run your car until you have no more than a quarter of a tank left – approx 4 gallons
    Pour in the whole bottle
    Drive normally for at least 15 minutes
    Refuel when you need to – suggest waiting until the low fuel light comes on

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Doesn't the Prius have something like a 9 gallon fuel tank?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@breld said:

Interested in this as well. I need something in my garage. The raw concrete floor isn’t working for me. I was thinking about doing the DIY Rustoleum kit.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    corvette said:

Your Prius must be in really good shape now!

I think Toyota's hybrid system is better than Honda's. Alex on Autos has had some videos about this, and it's complicated but overall Toyota's system gets better mpgs. Ford's hybrid system, which is more like Toyota's, now seems to be really good too.

And it seems like the Prius often goes over 200,000 miles, and so like all Toyota's they are really built to last.

What year is yours again, and how many miles do you have on it?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I would go with the epoxy if you trust the installer. Especially since you are not going to give it hard use (such as working on cars, dropping tools, spilling lots of fluids).

when I move, I plan to do something. Depending on condition (and price) either epoxy or racedeck tiles. That I can install myself.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited October 2021

Doesn't the Prius have something like a 9 gallon fuel tank?

10.9 in my generation. It has the bladder fuel tank, though, so usable capacity seems to vary.
    benjaminh said:

What year is yours again, and how many miles do you have on it?

It's a 2007 with 223,000 miles on it. I'm debating on taking it on a road trip to Charleston next week. The Tundra would be more comfortable overall.

Also, thanks for the instructions, @roadburner!
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    mjfloyd1 said:

How were you able to listen to a 20018 vehicle’s sound system? Time travel? Is this a DeLorean rather than a Buick? :)

got me. In 20018 the music will probably be beamed directly into the driver's brain via advanced electromagnetic WIFI waves. No need for speakers.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    A lot of people listen to talk radio or podcasts, so speaker quality maybe not as important.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    greg128 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

How were you able to listen to a 20018 vehicle’s sound system? Time travel? Is this a DeLorean rather than a Buick? :)

got me. In 20018 the music will probably be beamed directly into the driver's brain via advanced electromagnetic WIFI waves. No need for speakers.
    There ain’t no fun in that.

jmonroe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

And the Outback is gone. Took about 90 mins start to finish. They were very pleasant about it.

Congrats!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

quite the good deal. Congrats.

Got the registration renewal for the Tundra in the mail. US Bank already paid the property tax, so I only owe $21 for the tag. Annoyingly, you can't renew the registration for a leased vehicle online.

@tjc78 said:

@breld said:

Interested in this as well. I need something in my garage. The raw concrete floor isn’t working for me. I was thinking about doing the DIY Rustoleum kit.

I’ve done the DIY kits - they’re not bad at all, but within a year or two, there are spots that become worn.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited October 2021

Few minor issues for Tesla to resolve. Fog light cover has some condensation, one minor panel gap, and they forgot the mudflaps and PPF…not enough to reject delivery.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited October 2021
    Nice Model 3 you have there!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Congrats!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Nice!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@28firefighter - new car day! Big Mazel-Tov & congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Congrats on the car change-over, @28firefighter ! That's some solid wheelin' and dealin'!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    CarMax (via Edmunds) just offered $22K for our 2015 Outback 3.6R, with 45,000 miles on it.

Problem is, it's not a spare car, and replacing it would be quite expensive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@28firefighter : Congrats! Looks like an awesome vehicle. Looking forward to more impressions.
    Inside the Ford Maverick factory....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34R3wLZASQ
    Getting access to the spare tire in the Maverick. The spare for our 1986 Mazda B2000 was in the same place, and getting it out was a similar process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8yxJo9ZyUE
    @stickguy : Iirc Ford has already given you a vin for your future Maverick build. Just for kicks, have you considered plugging the vin into the Edmunds or Carvana sites? But since it's new maybe they won't have values for it yet.

https://www.edmunds.com/sell-car/
    A 12-minute video of a guy taking apart a 2004 Prius engine with c. 300,000 miles. The engine was still working, although burning some oil. Impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujEJDDB7pBU
    edited October 2021
    benjaminh said:

@stickguy : Iirc Ford has already given you a vin for your future Maverick build. Just for kicks, have you considered plugging the vin into the Edmunds or Carvana sites? But since it's new maybe they won't have values for it yet.

https://www.edmunds.com/sell-car/

Troublemaker! No, I had not thought of doing that. I assume they don't have data yet anyway. Plus the estimator tool only goes up through 2021 MY.

I was discussing this with the wife over dinner Friday. Unless I detest it, will probably buy it anyway considering the chances that more raw materials shortages can shut down production even worse. Banking on prices staying strong and if something pops up I really want in the spring (like an Integra) I can just trade it in. as long as I get about what I paid for it, with sales tax credit I pretty much would drive it for free!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@xwesx so what is in the trailer and what do you normally pull it with?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

My wife tonight: “I’m never driving a gas car again.”

…that didn’t take long.

Congrats, again!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

nice videos. I think the assembly process is fascinating. Just keeping track of everything to get the parts in the right place at the right time is impressive.

and that spare tire process is quite convoluted. Hopefully never have to do that on the side of the road.

edited October 2021
    A detailed Ford 2.0T Ecoboost teardown. As you know stickguy, this engine is similar to the one that will be in your Maverick. The engine came from a 2014 Ford Focus ST with 170,000 miles. The engine was apparently well maintained with regular oil changes, and it looks good inside. As he says there was almost no "malice in the combustion palace" (lol). Starting at 4:40 you can see that the top of one of the valves is dirty, but it's actually better than I expected for a direct-injected engine with those miles. This gives me hope that my wife and I might get similar results with our direct-injected engines. If we can get 170k out of our engines I'm good with that. The 2.0T in the video actually had lots of life left in it according to the guy doing the video.

The Ecoboost 2.0T has gotten some upgrades starting in 2015. According to wikipedia....

"A redesigned 2.0 L EcoBoost four-cylinder was introduced with the second-generation Ford Edge, followed by the 2017 Ford Escape in spring 2016.[49] It features a higher compression ratio than its predecessor (10.1:1 vs 9.3:1) along with twin-scroll turbocharger and fuel and oil systems upgrades.[50] This new engine will deliver more low-end torque than its predecessor...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9lKS3wLqA
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @28firefighter, congrats on the new Tesla. Wish you many safe miles!
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Yep, congrats @28firefighter, enjoy!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    28, how are y'all charging the new Tesla? Did y'all retrofit your house so the garage plug will charge it or it it just being charged with the regular plug in the wall? Guessing the time needed to get back up to full capacity will vary depending on how it's being charged at home. We did talk about getting one the other night and the subject of retrofitting the garage power plug came up. Depending on how long the charging takes could be an issue. Since I don't drive more than 40 miles/week, I'd have no problem as I could just plug it in to a regular socket a few nights each week and be pretty much full most of the time. I did mention that if we did go EV, we'd still need one vehicle that uses gas for those longer trips and times that the power might go out. It is the future I get that but, still a few issues that need to be worked out before most average folks like myself will fully commit to one.
    Am just not at the point where I need to have an EV though I do enjoy driving them every so often at work.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

We have an L2 in our garage and it comes with an adapter.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    "L2"? Not sure what that means to be honest. But am sure there must be a Wawa or other place near that has free charging.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)