Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

stickguy said:

my new BFF at the Honda dealer called again today with an update on the new Si. I am surprised they are that invested given how low inventories are to get some random guy locked into something coming in. But he said they found out they have 2 allocated for some point (end of the year he suspects). But not color options yet of pricing. So he is calling me back as soon as they get that detail. So I assume at that point I could claim dibs and pick a color on the one regular model (the other one will have the HPD package which I wouldn't pay extra for anyway).

no clue when they will have the pricing but should be fairly soon. I don't know why they don't just release everything at the same time.

I’m guessing that with no inventory to sell they have to look busy so why not make a bunch of phone calls regardless of potential to make a sale.
    Yes! Exactly! With so little to sell, salesman have plenty of time for follow up even for someone mulling their options. Both Acura and VW sales man followed up with me; the Kia guy didn't yet.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    au1994 said:

Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    benjaminh said:

One extra cost that seems to go with owning a Tesla is that some are reporting a need for more frequent tire replacement, largely because of vehicle weight and the high torque. According to this Tesla owner....

"How Long Do Tesla Model 3 Tires really Last?...Under regular driving, 25,000 to 30,000 miles is an overall reasonable expectation. By driving gently on good roads and/or highways, some Tesla owners make their tires last over 40k miles, possibly up to 50k. Spirited drivers may expect their tires to last less than 25k miles....

And as crazy as this sounds, this is an improvement over previous Teslas. Take the Model S, for example. 1,000 pounds heavier — and with an even more powerful motor. Owners claim to have replaced their tires after as little as 10,000 miles. For context, that’s 10 months for the average American. 10 freakin’ months! That’s enough to offset any environmental or financial benefit of owning an electric vehicle.…"

https://teslatuneup.com/tesla-model-3-tire-wear/

No one ever said going fast was cheap.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:
    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

jmonroe

That’s exactly what I was going to say. A water pump will make a tremendous racket before failing catastrophically. The driver was either a complete moron or he had his head firmly stuck in his nether regions- possibly both.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    edited October 2021

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

jmonroe

That’s exactly what I was going to say. A water pump will make a tremendous racket before failing catastrophically. The driver was either a complete moron or he had his head firmly stuck in his nether regions- possibly both.

The one in my ‘13 E93 gave no warning. Accelerated from a light and the car went into limp mode. I guess technically that was the warning. Luckily it was just inside the warranty.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

@au1994 said:
    The one in my ‘13 E93 gave no warning. Accelerated from a light and the car went into limp mode. I guess technically that was the warning. Luckily it was just inside the warranty.

I’d say that was a pretty good warning. Ignore that and, well, you’ve seen the results.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    I think the loaner plan always has done sort of when available disclaimer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    andres3 said:

au1994 said:

Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    In reality, how "free" are those loaner cars? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice perk. I've had a few cool loaners over the years. My favorites were an E90 BMW 335d and a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible. Don't kid yourself. You are paying for that "free" loaner 1 way or another.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Took a few attempts, but I can report that the Escape's interior actually smells pleasant now. Step 1 was putting in two of those odor absorbing jars. No change after a couple of days, so I used an orange pet odor eliminator spray. Gave the whole interior a really good dousing, then closed her up with those jars still inside. After a day, there was definite improvement, but maybe 50%. Febreeze was next. Again, doused everything quite well. That got out another 25% or so. Then I decided to bust out the big guns. A half a can of men's body spray. All the while, those jars were still in there. That was either 2 or 3 days ago. I just opened the car and found it downright pleasant in there. I have a couple of "bombs" coming from Amazon, but I suppose I won't need those. If the smell returns, that's the next step.

Meanwhile, I did the whole wire wheel, cleaning, and POR-15 treatment on the rear fenders and tailgate. The fender flares arrived. I'm pretty disappointed in the size and structure of them, but I'll still give them a shot. Just awaiting the black sealant I ordered to arrive so I can mount them with some waterproofing. I also had the thought to encase the lower portion of the tailgate in similar ABS plastic. Those sheets have arrived, as well. The debate I'm having with myself is whether or not to paint the rear bumper black to blend together the flares and tailgate plastics to look more intentional in design. I think I'm going to do it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    You went this far, might as well go all the way.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080
    stickguy said:

Maybe QB should have bought a $6000 vehicle instead.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

au1994 said:

Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Our BMW dealer has always had BMW loaners. If it's a breakdown situation, they'll always find you a car, but for scheduled service, they ask for two week's notice.

I always take the loaner. One time, I told them I'd wait (oil change service) and it was over 2 hours.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

Don’t tell us. Try to convince @ab348 about that. :(

jmonroe

I mean, the line is so overdone and trite I don't even bother to comment on it. Surely to dog nobody still thinks it's even a little bit clever or funny. But I've been wrong before...

ab348 said:

au1994 said:

Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.
    I could always Uber if I don’t feel like waiting. Its about 15 miles one way so depending on time of day it wouldn’t be a cheap Uber.

qbrozen said:

Glad someone's face wasn't where the hood was when that happened.
    edited October 2021
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

au1994 said:

In reality, how "free" are those loaner cars? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice perk. I've had a few cool loaners over the years. My favorites were an E90 BMW 335d and a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible. Don't kid yourself. You are paying for that "free" loaner 1 way or another.
    Well, if you are "paying" for it, you are paying up front. So if the dealership fails to deliver and provide after the fact, then you in fact, paid for nothing!

This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    @andres3 Any update on the S4 status?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

ab348 said:

au1994 said:

Doesn't seem fair unless they pay for the cab ride.
    kyfdx said:

Our BMW dealer has always had BMW loaners. If it's a breakdown situation, they'll always find you a car, but for scheduled service, they ask for two week's notice.

I always take the loaner. One time, I told them I'd wait (oil change service) and it was over 2 hours.. :(

Two weeks!!!! Yes, appointments are made and loaners are always available for you as you specify when you make the appointment. Never had to go out more than a couple days though.

Pure Motorsport (my indy) is so busy, I did have to nearly schedule an oil change nearly 2 weeks out. They used to be 1-week call aheads, might have to adjust to 2.

30-35 hours for an engine swap sound about right? $115/hour.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    andres3 said:

....This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

What are the "3 strikes"?

Sounds like you're probably not going to get a new car, but a study by KBB said that Acura had the lowest cost of ownership of the luxury brands. My oil change services with full synthetic are about $50 at my local Acura dealer, and stickguy has reported something similar.

https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/lowest-5-year-cost-to-own-luxury-brand/

Can you find an engine from a wrecked S4 that would work?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

@andres3 said:
    Two weeks!!!! Yes, appointments are made and loaners are always available for you as you specify when you make the appointment. Never had to go out more than a couple days though.

Pure Motorsport (my indy) is so busy, I did have to nearly schedule an oil change nearly 2 weeks out. They used to be 1-week call aheads, might have to adjust to 2.

30-35 hours for an engine swap sound about right? $115/hour.

That sounds like they’ve never done it before or you look like a dope or maybe they’re using the braille method.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Starting at 1:30 you can see some of what a 2014 Audi S4 engine looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWiZwlVefM
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

au1994 said:

Doesn't seem fair unless they pay for the cab ride.
    They cover $10 which only gets you a short distance around here.

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Maybe QB should have bought a $6000 vehicle instead.
    well, to be fair, this should be a $6k car. I guess it would be if it was fixed correctly. I could probably make a few bucks on it if I wanted to. But I likely wouldn't do better for a keeper.

Speaking of which, I just placed an order for a '22 Wrangler. ;)
    Ummm, what??

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@au1994 said:
    Ummm, what??

Snuck that right in on us.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    andres3 said:

au1994 said:

A lot of the “loaners” people get from dealers or body shops are supplied by rental companies so with the shortage of rentals there could also be fewer loaners.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

jmonroe

More so if that was part of the turbo. Wouldn’t you get all sorts of smoke and whine before one of those failed?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@qbrozen said:
    well, to be fair, this should be a $6k car. I guess it would be if it was fixed correctly. I could probably make a few bucks on it if I wanted to. But I likely wouldn't do better for a keeper.

Speaking of which, I just placed an order for a '22 Wrangler. ;)

Another 4exxxxxxxxxe? Sahara, HA or Rubicon?

qbrozen said:

Took a few attempts, but I can report that the Escape's interior actually smells pleasant now. Step 1 was putting in two of those odor absorbing jars. No change after a couple of days, so I used an orange pet odor eliminator spray. Gave the whole interior a really good dousing, then closed her up with those jars still inside. After a day, there was definite improvement, but maybe 50%. Febreeze was next. Again, doused everything quite well. That got out another 25% or so. Then I decided to bust out the big guns. A half a can of men's body spray. All the while, those jars were still in there. That was either 2 or 3 days ago. I just opened the car and found it downright pleasant in there. I have a couple of "bombs" coming from Amazon, but I suppose I won't need those. If the smell returns, that's the next step.

Meanwhile, I did the whole wire wheel, cleaning, and POR-15 treatment on the rear fenders and tailgate. The fender flares arrived. I'm pretty disappointed in the size and structure of them, but I'll still give them a shot. Just awaiting the black sealant I ordered to arrive so I can mount them with some waterproofing. I also had the thought to encase the lower portion of the tailgate in similar ABS plastic. Those sheets have arrived, as well. The debate I'm having with myself is whether or not to paint the rear bumper black to blend together the flares and tailgate plastics to look more intentional in design. I think I'm going to do it.

Admit it, isn’t playing around with a cheap hooptie a lot of fun?

mjfloyd1 said:

Another 4exxxxxxxxxe? Sahara, HA or Rubicon?

Yes, another 4xe Sahara. I'll take the tires back off the '21 and sell it to the highest bidder. Lord knows when the '22 will arrive and if the terms will be favorable. If they are, I'll take it. If not, oh well. Ordered from Horsham, so no deposit, no broker fee, no shipping. Went with the blue and added the safety packages and LSD on top of what I already had (cold weather, hardtop, and grab handles).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Only if it remains cosmetic. ha. When you gotta start tearing into the mechanicals, it gets real tired real quick.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@andres3 said:
    Well, if you are "paying" for it, you are paying up front. So if the dealership fails to deliver and provide after the fact, then you in fact, paid for nothing!

This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

If it was Audi paying for half the motor and half the labor, then you would have some warranty which may (or may not) in your mind be worth any extra cost.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited October 2021
    benjaminh said:

After the shocking failure of the engine in the Audi owned by andres, I did think about the electric motors in Teslas, which are designed to last a million miles. The batteries might need replacement in 10-12 years, but the motors are designed to last an incredibly long time.

"In 2015, Musk said that they “want drive units that just never wear out”, resulting in Tesla changing their aim to one million miles in their endurance tests. “We are very happy with the quality of the drive unit. We changed the goal of the drive unit endurance from being approximately 200,000 miles to being a million miles – just basically we want drive units that just never wear out. That’s our goal. I think we made really good progress in that direction. the drive unit that are going out now and for the last several months have been excellent.”

https://electrek.co/2018/10/15/tesla-drive-after-million-miles-test/

In the past I have been Tesla skeptic. As their stock rose I thought it would eventually crash. Musk seemed to be kind of a jerk. There were numerous reports of quality control problems and service issues. I have to admit though that the formula of a very reliable powertrain coupled with intoxicating acceleration and increasingly more options for recharging one cannot argue with success.

The recent purchase of $4 Billion worth of Model 3s by Hertz resulting in Tesla Cap worth of $1T is astounding.
    Toyota Cap worth is 1/4th VW: 1/6th GM: 1/12th Ford: 1/15 Honda: 1/20th
    edited October 2021
    Sometimes Musk can be first-class jerk, but Tesla is getting some key things right. Tesla seems to be putting some of their billions back into operations in terms of improved quality and better service—although there still won't be a service center in my city of 1-million for about another year.

One thing Tesla has done a lot recently is raise prices. Back in 2019 you could get a Model 3 for 38k, but now the least expensive one is about $45,200—and so a price increase of more than $7000 in two years. Given this market you can't blame them, but on the other hand Ford has so far held the line on the price of its new Maverick, even though demand for it is very high. But Tesla's price increases have finally brought profitability after years of loses.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,985
    benjaminh said:

Sometimes Musk can be first-class jerk, but Tesla is getting some key things right. Tesla seems to be putting some of their billions back into operations in terms of improved quality and better service—although there still won't be a service center in my city of 1-million for about another year.

One thing Tesla has done a lot recently is raise prices. Back in 2019 you could get a Model 3 for 38k, but now the least expensive one is about $45,200—and so a price increase of more than $7000 in two years. Given this market you can't blame them, but on the other hand Ford has so far held the line on the price of its new Maverick, even though demand for it is very high. But Tesla's price increases have finally brought profitability after years of loses.

I’ll disagree with your last point. Most of Tesla’s profits come from selling energy credits to other car companies; although I don’t have proof, my guess is that the sales aspect of the company is not generating any profit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

If by that you mean they have yet to recoup their startup costs, I think that is absolutely true.

edited October 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

If it was Audi paying for half the motor and half the labor, then you would have some warranty which may (or may not) in your mind be worth any extra cost.

For certain "extended warranties" and all the calls and voicemails I get asking about extended warranties on my vehicles suddenly seem a lot more valuable than they used to! LOL :smile:
    edited October 2021
    benjaminh said:

andres3 said:

....This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

Sounds like you're probably not going to get a new car, but a study by KBB said that Acura had the lowest cost of ownership of the luxury brands. My oil change services with full synthetic are about $50 at my local Acura dealer, and stickguy has reported something similar.

The 3 strikes are as follows:
    1. Bought Used (risky risky unless CPO). Audi's in the business of selling new cars.
    2. Bought not from an Audi Dealership (BMW Dealership in AZ) One way a manufacturer supports Dealerships is to support their own.
    3. More than a year past the 4 year warranty, in fact, more than 2 years past it.

edited October 2021
    benjaminh said:

andres3 said:

Finding an engine is doable. Finding an engine that's got less than 50K miles seems to be impossible. Finding a seller that stands behind what they're selling is a tall order too.

Vendors range from "as-is, to 30 days, to 60 days, to 90 days, to 6 months, to the typical 1 year 12k repair warranty, but those suppliers are fresh out of 3.0T Audi motors.

New motor order = 4-weeks from Germany assuming the boat doesn't get lost in the Bermuda triangle or stuck at the Port waiting in line.
    sda said:

See above.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    andres3 said:

sda said:

See above.
    Is it feasible to have your indie rebuild your engine? Perhaps sell the car immediately once completed?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    andres3 said:

Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW.

Nope, not a written promise anywhere. My parents are taking the Q5 in for service next month and the service writer "put them down as requesting a loaner," but said that was contingent on them not having any car haulers delayed between now and then. Of course, if there is an overnight warranty repair, I think most if not all manufacturers provide that they will pay for a rental in that instance.
    qbrozen said:

Took a few attempts, but I can report that the Escape's interior actually smells pleasant now.

After seeing some of the YT detail dudes do it, I'm a big fan of using diluted laundry detergent in a spray bottle + cordless drill + a nylon brush on the fabrics. That cleaned up the Prius pretty well, but not perfect. It smells great now. I also found a very old dead mouse and its bed in the spare tire well. Is this some kind of Toyota thing? I suspect the owner left a door or the hatch open for an extended period of time when it was cold outside.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    On the Tesla tire situation, I've noticed faster wear in general with luxury vehicles which tend to have a heavier curb weight. They also tend to have more aggressive alignment settings to make them feel more planted to the ground, which can also increase wear.
    qbrozen said:

Only if it remains cosmetic. ha. When you gotta start tearing into the mechanicals, it gets real tired real quick.
    When you gotta start tearing into the mechanicals you leave it on the side of road and walk home with the plates. Easy peasy. :D

I hope anyone still considering an Audi has learned a lesson here.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Buy an existing firm/tech and take personal credit, I can see it now.

To be fair, they do seem to be putting money back in, I have read that early vs new Model 3s have night and day build quality differences.
    stickguy said:

Elon needs to hurry up and introduce that levitation drive system. Like a hovercraft.

Michaell said:

I’ll disagree with your last point. Most of Tesla’s profits come from selling energy credits to other car companies; although I don’t have proof, my guess is that the sales aspect of the company is not generating any profit.

"....Tesla sold enough cars and energy products to turn a profit even without counting the sale of emissions credits to other automakers — a milestone for the company. This was the eighth profitable quarter in a row for Tesla, but the first where it can truly say it’s a profitable automaker."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/26/22594778/tesla-q2-2021-earnings-revenue-profit-credits-emissions-bitcoin

That was the period ending in the summer. For the latest quarter things were better.

"Tesla’s quarterly profit nearly quintuples to $1.6 billion as car sales surge.
    By Neal E. Boudette
    Oct. 20, 2021
    Tesla made $1.6 billion in the three months ending in September, the second quarter in a row that its profit has exceeded the billion-dollar mark.The bottom-line figure exceeded the $1.1 billion it made in the second quarter and was nearly five times its profit from the third quarter of 2020. A portion of Tesla’s profit comes from selling regulatory credits to automakers that need them to meet emission standards. Tesla reported $279 million in sales of such credits in the third quarter, compared with $397 million in the third quarter of 2020."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/tesla-earnings.html

Even with these better results the stock seems overvalued. Ten more years of blockbuster success seems to be priced in already, but perhaps that will happen. I honestly don't know much about such things. I don't own any individual stocks.